Passholders now have to show app to get any discounts

I doubt the phone leaves your hand. If it's anything like other parks I have visited they just scan the QR code on your phone.
Be careful with this assumption.

In Disneyland, we have had to scan our passes on the phone since last year. And restaurant servers do NOT have handheld scanners and DO ask for your phone (we don't even have physical pass cards). As an alternative, they will write down your pass number to run it manually in the back.

When you show your phone for discounts (assuming I can get the phone to show the current AP status) does the cast member take the phone in their hand? Does the cast member take the phone away somewhere -- even if just to a nearby register. In other words, does the phone come under the control of the cast member?

Because that would concern me -- a lot. On another of my hobby forums, the lady handed her phone to the employee, who took the phone back to a register out of view. Then he accessed some kind of payment transfer system that made cash payment transfers from her bank account to an account he had set up to receive payments (in another name.)

I would rather forego AP discounts than give someone access like that. At least when I hand them cash, there is a limit to the risk.
They're only looking at your phone to check the expiration date of your AP. They're not touching it.

All this drama because they didn't train the cast members to write a exp date on the back like they used to before covid....?
It's not even that. What really blows my mind is behind the times Disney is in regards to all of this. Every other park just scans your card for the discount. That way there is no need to worry about if there is an expiry day written on it or not.

When you show your phone for discounts (assuming I can get the phone to show the current AP status) does the cast member take the phone in their hand? Does the cast member take the phone away somewhere -- even if just to a nearby register. In other words, does the phone come under the control of the cast member?

Because that would concern me -- a lot. On another of my hobby forums, the lady handed her phone to the employee, who took the phone back to a register out of view. Then he accessed some kind of payment transfer system that made cash payment transfers from her bank account to an account he had set up to receive payments (in another name.)

I would rather forego AP discounts than give someone access like that. At least when I hand them cash, there is a limit to the risk.
No, they just look at the phone. We did this multiple times in January to get DVC discounts.

Not in my experience. They just need to see the card to verify it's current. There's nothing to scan, no reason to take it anywhere

Be careful with this assumption.

In Disneyland, we have had to scan our passes on the phone since last year. And restaurant servers do NOT have handheld scanners and DO ask for your phone (we don't even have physical pass cards). As an alternative, they will write down your pass number to run it manually in the back.
WDW does not use the same system at this time. Thus far, they've never used the same systems between the 2 parks. I'd never say never but I will say I'll be surprised if they ever do

I've yet to go to a single place that is cashless.
My son has 2 schools trips one to a six flags and one to lake compounds. Both are now cashless and offer a ATM type machine to transfer cash into a card that's only usable at the park. I had to get him the visa gift cards to use for food and lockers and such.

My son has 2 schools trips one to a six flags and one to lake compounds. Both are now cashless and offer a ATM type machine to transfer cash into a card that's only usable at the park. I had to get him the visa gift cards to use for food and lockers and such.
Glad I don’t go to any 6 flags ever.

WDW does not use the same system at this time. Thus far, they've never used the same systems between the 2 parks. I'd never say never but I will say I'll be surprised if they ever do
They are starting to merge systems together. The DAS system has been streamlined at this point. The next one will be when the Magic Bands+ launch and they bring them to Disneyland. That is what a CM told me, anyway.

They are starting to merge systems together. The DAS system has been streamlined at this point. The next one will be when the Magic Bands+ launch and they bring them to Disneyland. That is what a CM told me, anyway.
That settles then. I'm sure the CM was right. They always are

Not everyone uses a smartphone though. There should at least be an option for plastic cards. Why should it be on the guest to provide these things?
There are options for plastic cards if you go to Guest Services and get the most up to date AP card where I’m sure they’d verify your AP is active.

So again, while I think it’s unnecessary because I don’t think there’s many people who go to Disney but don’t have a smart phone lol there are options in case it is necessary.

That settles then. I'm sure the CM was right. They always are
It was a Guest Relations plaid.. They generally know what they are talking about. Not sure why you insist on being so snarky about it. I was simply stating that the insistence that "they won't take your phone away" is misguided.

See, that is just not happening to me. Nobody is taking my phone away.

If all they need to do is check a date they can look at it in my hand. If the employee needs to use it elsewhere, I will go with them. If the business does not like having customers standing around a register in the back, and if enough of us insist on consumer safety practices, then the business can modify its behavior. If the business practice to leave the phone with the customer and it is only the employee’s idea to grab the phone and take it away, then the business will know they have a problem employee.

DH and I do not even allow our plastic cards to be taken in restaurants, much less a phone. That is one of the most common ways financial info is stolen. We have both experienced that. It is quite one thing to be warned about it, but it is a nightmare to try to clean it up after it happens. Who knows what data they can scan if they have a phone? One lady had to hand her phone to an employee. He took it away where she could not see him. He made several cash transfers to other private accounts on a bill pay app. Once they get the AP date, there is nothing preventing them from going to another app on the phone. She found out later.

It may be old school to carry cash, but it is so much safer. So, phone stays with me or an all cash transaction. Whatever the business will have to deal with it. We, as consumers do have the right to resist shoddy business practices that put us at risk.
No one is saying they will take the phone anywhere. Someone asked if they would and people said no they won't. Let's not just make up scenarios to get angry over. And I don't trust a random cm over years and years of no place ever taking a phone away from a customer. Way to much liability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter