• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passholders now have to show app to get any discounts

Does anyone know how this effects kids that have an AP but are too young to drive and thus have no drivers license?

My daughter who is 15 has had an annual pass (and may still if i decide to renew). On past trips she could just show the pass but how will it work now? She does have a cell phone so if I grant her access to the MDE account that I have which has the passes she should be able to show that but are they also going to be wanting a license now as well?

My daughter was 7 or 8 and tried to make a purchase with her AP and a gift card. The CM insisted she needed ID. She didn’t have any. The lady would not let her make a purchase so I stepped over and slapped my id down with my AP card and took her gift card out of her hand and paid for it. We got her a state ID after that.

Our cedar point passes are digital only. Mine still has last years date on it but scans just fine this year. For whatever reason it didn’t update. My daughter’s did. We have very old photos on them lol. I think I will ask for a hard copy next trip but digital has been fine. I am not tech savvy but was able to get the passes on the phone with photos on them and connected to the app.

At universal for horror nights our express passes are digital only. No way to get a printed one with whatever way we order online. We have to have our phones scanned at every house or ride line. They absolutely will not print them out for us. Our tickets are will call and they will print them for us and same with the tour but the item we use most often is on the phone only. It worked ok. It is what it is.

Apparently passholders can only get merch or dining discounts with the app only. No longer will you be able to show you passcard and ID.
We arrived at WDW on Wednesday, (still here) and have used my AP physical card for merch and dining discounts every day with no problems. Only a few times did they ask for my I D and never asked for the digital version.

Maybe they are in the process of changing it. I have heard from quite a few people that what I posted is the case.
Maybe. I have no idea. I can only say that it is not correct as of today to state that you have to show app to get any discounts.

Wasn’t yesterday, or the day before either. We got here Thursday. Haven’t used the app yet.

I’ve been here for 2 days. I Was told you have to show the digital card. That’s what I’ve been doing. But I never tried to use the physical card. It’s easier in my opinion to show the digital.

We are local APs. We are finding that many CMs do still accept the card -- if my husband reaches for his phone, they politely tell us the phone app is not necessary. Other CMs have demanded to see the app and ID. So your milage may vary and it all depends on the individual CM that you are dealing with at any given time.

I made a purchase today using my plastic AP. So I say bunkus

Like every other change, some CMs still allow things and other are moving toward digital. Same with the new DVC digital card...some CMs are still taking the screenshot from the DVC website, while others insist on seeing the actual digital card Magic Mobile pass like officially required.

At some point, I am sure that this will become normal and more CM's will be updated...

Disney acts as if the discount is actually worth something.
Not to me… My privacy is worth more .
I also don’t have to give them my business.

Last edited:
Disney acts as if the discount is actually worth something.
Not to me… My privacy is worth more .
I also don’t have to give them my business.

I try not to carry my phone into a business ever since a quick trip into a the drugstore to go all the way back to the Greeting cards section and went to the front of the store to pay and every aisle I walked thru printed up a coupon , even tho I only stopped long enough to find a birthday card.
Now when they ask for my phone number or email to check out I laugh and say No .
You will need to protect your digital information because It does not die when you do.
You do you. I say any discount is better than no discount but by all means you turn yours down because your digital info is at risk

Like every other change, some CMs still allow things and other are moving toward digital. Same with the new DVC digital card...some CMs are still taking the screenshot from the DVC website, while others insist on seeing the actual digital card Magic Mobile pass like officially required.

At some point, I am sure that this will become normal and more CM's will be updated...
Ok. Point in making is it’s not required today which is what this thread title stated

When I was visiting in May, I was told that it would be required to show the pass digitally starting January 2023. No idea how true it is, but seems pretty possible.

When I was visiting in May, I was told that it would be required to show the pass digitally starting January 2023. No idea how true it is, but seems pretty possible.
Which makes sense on why some CMs are asking for it and others aren't yet.

That I can see happening. That they will eventually switch to digital. Which means only those with smart phones can be AP holders

We do tend to think that everyone with phones now a days have smart phones but that’s not the case. Some people do still carry “dumb” phones. Wonder what they’ll do? Not get to use their AP?

That I can see happening. That they will eventually switch to digital. Which means only those with smart phones can be AP holders

We do tend to think that everyone with phones now a days have smart phones but that’s not the case. Some people do still carry “dumb” phones. Wonder what they’ll do? Not get to use their AP?
Disney really seems to not want APs so another road block that locks more folks outta its perks... is prolly a plus for them

We returned from two weeks at WDW on 6/2. My phone mostly worked, but sometimes didn't however no CM turned away my plastic AP for a discount. We ate a sit down meal nearly every day (10%) and bought merch (20%) and it adds up.

Even though my DH's phone was set up via chat earlier this year, it didn't work most of the time. We're not high tech and I don't think it will get any easier...

Sorry just sounds ridiculous to expect anybody under age of 15 to carry legal identification . Is this true?
What happened to the picture they take when activating and fingerprint scan. I though that was a daily verification for eligibility while in the parks.
I guess Disney Springs would be a problem to verify discounts.

Thanks for the verification for January 2023. Date

Last edited:
I've went a couple days this week and was ready for it.. but never asked to show the app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter