Passholders now have to show app to get any discounts

But . . . "anyone"--I assume this means someone I'm traveling with, not someone who stole or found my MB--could also use my phone.
I understand that. My guess is they have seen people use others MB and Pass a lot more then some one else's phone.

Currently there are 6-7 states that have digital drivers licenses and approx. 30 states are moving to implement digital drivers licenses so your argument isn't really valid anymore.

Don't group all elderly together my mother and mother in law 72-75 both have no issues using smart phones as long as you show them how to do they do it no problem. All they have to do is
ask a cast member for help it's not that difficult.

Why do you think that Disney isn't printing dates on there cards? Do you really think it's because they don't' care.......really? or could it be that people are selling(i have seen them online) counterfeit annual passes just so you can get the discount. How do you stop that make them digital, it's not that difficult to see why they made the change.

The next shoe to drop will be around ADR's and the people that are selling time slots online for $5 a piece.
Can you point to a SINGLE state that is moving in any near term to ONLY digital D/Ls??? Even one state that is today or in the next five years moving to no longer issuing hard copy versions?

And where did I group all elderly together? I didn’t, of course. Please don’t accuse me of doing things I didn’t.

I agree with you: digital solutions are useful in addressing counterfeiting issues. But there should be reasonable accommodation made for those who can’t readily adapt to them. And my dyslexic DW can’t.

Correct. I really think it’s because they don’t care. Disney would rather realize the cost savings that come from going to 100% compulsory use of MDE to access AP benefits than to accommodate exceptional cases.

This may make an interesting ADA suit.

I am just trying to find out if the policy - from Disney - has changed. The fact that it is being "reported elsewhere" goes into the category of people's understanding which may or may not reflect an actual policy change. I have no doubt they want to move people to a digital format to cut down on fraud and wastage from printing hard credentials - this directional shift has been widely supported by Disney online FAQs.

So if anyone has seen a comm, or stated policy on the website, or other notification sourced from Disney - I would be interested to know. Thanks!
Well, good luck. Disney doesn't publish most their policies for years now and as always on the ground CMs have the final word, be prepared.

Since it's really not a big deal, I just go with whatever they may be requiring at the moment. I'm not about to waste time arguing with a CM and asking for a supervisor over this one.

And, btw, I looked on the app the other day, to make sure my AP was indeed listed there, and was surprised to see that my sister's AP is also listed there and, in fact, it's listed first!
Yup - I can see all my F&F passes, so unless they also ask for your ID to match it up - I could use anyone's AP to get a discount.

Disney Vacation Club now ONLY has digital member cards.

I guess it will be process of which store/restaurant require to see AP digital.

Not a fan of this at all. We try to stay off our phones as much as possible in Disney. It comes out for a picture or to check wait times. My older daughter can buy stuff on her own at 9 and she has her own annual pass, but she does not have a smart phone.
Digital is great until your battery dies or you are out of service.
Hard enough to keep your phone charged all day when taking pictures, checking wait times, LL, etc really don’t need another battery drain.
Had someone in front of us at Costco trying to use her digital credit card for 10 minutes but it wouldn’t load. Hard copy is the way to go. Scan the card and it should say if it’s valid, don’t see why this is so hard.

Disney really has no incentive to make Annual Passes more attractive at all right now. Im honestly surprised they’ve even kept the AP discounts given it’s been 6 months since they’ve sold any (and then only briefly).

Disney really has no incentive to make Annual Passes more attractive at all right now. Im honestly surprised they’ve even kept the AP discounts given it’s been 6 months since they’ve sold any (and then only briefly).
I suspect they have sold plenty of AP renewals in the past 6 months, but maybe not.

Can you point to a SINGLE state that is moving in any near term to ONLY digital D/Ls??? Even one state that is today or in the next five years moving to no longer issuing hard copy versions?

And where did I group all elderly together? I didn’t, of course. Please don’t accuse me of doing things I didn’t.

I agree with you: digital solutions are useful in addressing counterfeiting issues. But there should be reasonable accommodation made for those who can’t readily adapt to them. And my dyslexic DW can’t.

Correct. I really think it’s because they don’t care. Disney would rather realize the cost savings that come from going to 100% compulsory use of MDE to access AP benefits than to accommodate exceptional cases.

This may make an interesting ADA suit.
I never said that any state is going all digital but how long before they do? It always starts as an optional service then the next thing you know it’s permanent. It always follows the same life cycle.

Currently there are 6-7 states that have digital drivers licenses and approx. 30 states are moving to implement digital drivers licenses so your argument isn't really valid anymore.
Yes some states have implemented and others are working towards implementing digital drivers licenses but none of them demand that you have one. They still issue and allow you to have and use a nondigital drivers license. Can you imagine the lawsuits that would surface rapidly if you are required to have a digital drivers license? It would be worse than requiring people to have ID when they vote!

I was at WDW a couple weeks ago. I had to show the app at Pop where I was staying, and at MK. I was not asked to at Epcot, where I made multiple purchases showing my AP card and DL. So I was probably there during the transition period.

At Pop, the clerk said that the problem was that people could alter the hand written expiration dates, so they were moving to a format that could not be altered. I can understand that. I don’t understand why they quit printing the info on the pass cards by machine in the first place though.

I have a very old phone, that does not support the current version of MDE (updating my phone later this year) and between that and the glitchy Disney wi-fi, it took me a good ten minutes at Pop to access the pass, and about five at MK. I wasn’t in a hurry, and the registers weren’t busy, but I can see where there could be issues during busy times, especially as more international guests return and use the wi-fi.

I was at WDW a couple weeks ago. I had to show the app at Pop where I was staying, and at MK. I was not asked to at Epcot, where I made multiple purchases showing my AP card and DL. So I was probably there during the transition period.

At Pop, the clerk said that the problem was that people could alter the hand written expiration dates, so they were moving to a format that could not be altered. I can understand that. I don’t understand why they quit printing the info on the pass cards by machine in the first place though.

I have a very old phone, that does not support the current version of MDE (updating my phone later this year) and between that and the glitchy Disney wi-fi, it took me a good ten minutes at Pop to access the pass, and about five at MK. I wasn’t in a hurry, and the registers weren’t busy, but I can see where there could be issues during busy times, especially as more international guests return and use the wi-fi.
I can see why they don't put the date on the card anymore. It's probably so they don't have to print out new cards every time someone renews. I have a Cedar Fair platinum pass and I have had the same card for the last 5 years.

I can see why they don't put the date on the card anymore. It's probably so they don't have to print out new cards every time someone renews. I have a Cedar Fair platinum pass and I have had the same card for the last 5 years.
I would agree with you except there are year dates on the pass card as well. That is how the conversation started at Pop. I pointed out that I had a 2022 expiration date, and she pointed out that the card itself had 2020-2021 on the bottom corner. Of course, I renewed in 2021 and that was the stock they gave me. That was when she said that I could have altered a 2021 expiration to look like a 2022 expiration and she would need to see it in the app per their new policy. If they want us to keep the same card forever (which I have no problem with) then they would have to disregard those dates as well. The new card I received on my trip they just wrote my name, no expiration date, and it has 2022-2023 on the bottom.

I still think we should be able to scan our card or MB since all our ticket info is available through it.

I would agree with you except there are year dates on the pass card as well. That is how the conversation started at Pop. I pointed out that I had a 2022 expiration date, and she pointed out that the card itself had 2020-2021 on the bottom corner. Of course, I renewed in 2021 and that was the stock they gave me. That was when she said that I could have altered a 2021 expiration to look like a 2022 expiration and she would need to see it in the app per their new policy. If they want us to keep the same card forever (which I have no problem with) then they would have to disregard those dates as well. The new card I received on my trip they just wrote my name, no expiration date, and it has 2022-2023 on the bottom.

I still think we should be able to scan our card or MB since all our ticket info is available through it.
They are going this route for fraud purposes. Odds are if you use your phone for your pass you aren't going to give to someone else to use. Where as MB and cards people have shared them before.

Any chance that we can save the screenshot and just make it our wallpaper and show them that? Would hate for the app to not work and have to be stuck in line.

I never said that any state is going all digital but how long before they do? It always starts as an optional service then the next thing you know it’s permanent. It always follows the same life cycle.

I apologize if you understood me as accusing you of saying states were going all digital. I wasn't. I was sincere in asking "Can you point to a SINGLE state that is moving in any near term to ONLY digital D/Ls?"

The answer is of course none are in the near term. And you are correct, new technologies are usually introduced with a phase-in period. But if the reports here are true that Disney is implementing this as quickly as suggested, where is the phase-in period? And--again--what becomes of AP holders who are legitimately incapable or extremely uncomfortable operating a smart phone app? Is it truly impossible for Disney to offer a hard copy alternative?

And the answer is they of course could. But--again, if these reports are true--they are simply choosing not to. And that's a shame.

Does anyone know how this effects kids that have an AP but are too young to drive and thus have no drivers license?

My daughter who is 15 has had an annual pass (and may still if i decide to renew). On past trips she could just show the pass but how will it work now? She does have a cell phone so if I grant her access to the MDE account that I have which has the passes she should be able to show that but are they also going to be wanting a license now as well?

Does anyone know how this effects kids that have an AP but are too young to drive and thus have no drivers license?

My daughter who is 15 has had an annual pass (and may still if i decide to renew). On past trips she could just show the pass but how will it work now? She does have a cell phone so if I grant her access to the MDE account that I have which has the passes she should be able to show that but are they also going to be wanting a license now as well?
They won't need ID. That's why they are going to the app

So now its "according to some posters on another board" its changed (past tense) and apparently the Disney site is wrong in multiple places , your previous reply to me was "Right now it does but it is changing" - so ok -
Just as an FYI...Disney posts and give CMs misleading and inaccurate info. often, so it would not be surprising if they hadn't updated their site yet. No idea if it's officially changed or not, but I would NEVER go by what Disney says or what's on their website over reports here.

Just as an FYI...Disney posts and give CMs misleading and inaccurate info. often, so it would not be surprising if they hadn't updated their site yet. No idea if it's officially changed or not, but I would NEVER go by what Disney says or what's on their website over reports here.
I did see this as a "news update" on disneyfoodblog.com - although their language wasn't specific as to the "when" this will be reinforced - so I think this may be the source of said information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter