Peru - December 2022

Chiasgirl

Mouseketeer
Is anyone else booked on an AbD to Peru this month? It looks like the airport in Cusco is shut down due to protests which pretty much changes everything. AbD Peru flies into Cusco on day 2 and ends there on day 7. AbD says they are “monitoring the situation”. We fly out on the 23rd….

I'm sure ABD will figure it all out (one of the benefits of going with a tour like ABD) but I hope it doesn't impact your trip *too* much!

Sayhello

Peru has declared a 30 day state of emergency. people are being told to shelter in place. Still no word from Adventures by Disney. There’s no way they won’t cancel, is there?
This is our 3rd attempt at a trip with them. Two were cancelled due to covid…

The State Department's Travel Advisory for Peru is currently a level 3 - Reconsider Travel, but that hasn't been updated since October 5th. If that goes to Level 4, ABD will definitely cancel, so I'd keep an eye on that.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...es/traveladvisories/peru-travel-advisory.html

But honestly, if people are being told they cannot travel or assemble, and the state of emergency is country-wide, I can't imagine how ABD could go with the state of emergency still in place. They may be hoping that things calm down and the state of emergency is lifted. The chance of that happening before the 23rd seems unlikely, but who knows?

There were protests going on in Athens when I was there for the Greece ABD, but it wasn't violent, and it was limited to certain areas of the city that we just didn't go near. The rest of the country seemed unaffected. That is definitely not the case with Peru now.

I would just keep after ABD and not wait for them to tell you it's cancelled. Ask for answers. What are they monitoring? What are they waiting for? What would constitute a situation that would make them cancel, and what conditions would make them feel it's safe to go? ABD does not excel at communication, so I would just keep bugging them. They can't wait until the 22nd to make a decision!

I hope something is decided one way or the other REALLY soon!

Sayhello

it will be a rough call for any tour company, including Disney, While Disney may still go at a level 4, as they did with Antarctica in January 2022 after both Argentina and Antarctica went to Level 4, it might not be the same trip. For Antarctica, folks were asked to be in a bubble at the hotel upon arrival and the Patagonia touring portions were eliminated, and this all happened 8-9 days prior to departure, less than a week before for those on the pre-cruise Escape. So, would you still want to go with a changed itinerary if that was required to make the trip happen? Something to consider…Disney did offer the option to rebook for another departure date for guests who did not want the modified itinerary.

The primary concern needs to be safety for guests and guides. Disney won’t cancel unless they feel they have to, but they and other tour companies are kind of stuck in a no-win situation. Whether to maybe cancel too soon, wait until closer to departure, or go with a modified departure, some folks will be upset no matter which way it turns out. If they can’t safely make it around the country, or there’s a chance of being stranded in Cusco due to airport closures, or stuck somewhere else due to other transportation issues, would you still want to be there?

Situations like this do not make it easy for anyone. This could not be predicted or planned for, and I feel bad for you and your family. I’m sure Disney is closely monitoring and having lots of discussions about it. The Vacationistas will be extremely busy in the next few days, please remember they are the messengers in all of this and will do whatever they can whenever they have the final decisions & know what the options may be. Until then, it is not easy to wait.

Thank you for your kind, thoughtful responses. And yes, we have registered with the state department. (But always a good reminder!)
We are frequent, international travelers and huge Disney fans. We have been annual pass holders and are Platinum with DCL. I don’t say this to boast, but because I think it helps explain my disappointment in AbD. They have another Peru trip leaving on the 20th and still haven’t cancelled it. I feel like we are playing a big game of chicken. Peru is in a state of turmoil. People are dying. There is a state of emergency. Foreigners are stranded in places like Cusco without a way to get out (airport closed, highways deemed unsafe for travel).
I just don‘t see things getting better on time to safely carry out this trip. And I’d like it cancelled sooner rather than later so we can come up with a plan B.

Thank you for your kind, thoughtful responses. And yes, we have registered with the state department. (But always a good reminder!)
We are frequent, international travelers and huge Disney fans. We have been annual pass holders and are Platinum with DCL. I don’t say this to boast, but because I think it helps explain my disappointment in AbD. They have another Peru trip leaving on the 20th and still haven’t cancelled it. I feel like we are playing a big game of chicken. Peru is in a state of turmoil. People are dying. There is a state of emergency. Foreigners are stranded in places like Cusco without a way to get out (airport closed, highways deemed unsafe for travel).
I just don‘t see things getting better on time to safely carry out this trip. And I’d like it cancelled sooner rather than later so we can come up with a plan B.
I am sorry that you are stuck in this situation. Peru does not sound like a place anyone should be traveling at the moment. I hope that ABD makes a decision asap so that people can make alternate travel plans oner the holiday season.

Things aren’t looking good but AbD isn’t taking action. Today we received an email from the state department stating

“Demonstrations continue throughout the country, including in Lima. Ayacucho Airport (AYP) in Ayacucho, Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ) in Cusco, Alfredo Rodriguez Ballón International Airport (AQP) in Arequipa, Juliaca Inca Manco Cápac Airport (JUL) near Puno, and Andahuaylas Airport (ANS) in Andahuaylas remain closed. Peruvian authorities are evaluating when flights may resume to and from Cusco, Arequipa, and other affected cities. Train lines between Aguas Calientes/ Machu Picchu Village and Cusco are blocked and partially damaged. While some travelers have opted to hike from Aguas Calientes/ Machu Picchu Village to Ollantaytambo, some individuals are unable to do so, and there may not be sufficient accommodations in Ollaytantambo to house everyone. Further, significant roadblocks remain on the road from Ollantaytambo to Cusco; therefore, we continue to advise U.S. citizens to shelter in place in Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu Village at this time.“

We are supposed to fly into Cusco on December 25th and back out on the 31st with a train ride to and from Machu Picchu. I have found someone booked on the December 20th itinerary and they still have not received any notice that their trip is not proceeding as planned. They would fly to Cusco on the 21st. I’m very disappointed in the lack of communication from AbD.

Things aren’t looking good but AbD isn’t taking action. Today we received an email from the state department stating

“Demonstrations continue throughout the country, including in Lima. Ayacucho Airport (AYP) in Ayacucho, Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ) in Cusco, Alfredo Rodriguez Ballón International Airport (AQP) in Arequipa, Juliaca Inca Manco Cápac Airport (JUL) near Puno, and Andahuaylas Airport (ANS) in Andahuaylas remain closed. Peruvian authorities are evaluating when flights may resume to and from Cusco, Arequipa, and other affected cities. Train lines between Aguas Calientes/ Machu Picchu Village and Cusco are blocked and partially damaged. While some travelers have opted to hike from Aguas Calientes/ Machu Picchu Village to Ollantaytambo, some individuals are unable to do so, and there may not be sufficient accommodations in Ollaytantambo to house everyone. Further, significant roadblocks remain on the road from Ollantaytambo to Cusco; therefore, we continue to advise U.S. citizens to shelter in place in Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu Village at this time.“

We are supposed to fly into Cusco on December 25th and back out on the 31st with a train ride to and from Machu Picchu. I have found someone booked on the December 20th itinerary and they still have not received any notice that their trip is not proceeding as planned. They would fly to Cusco on the 21st. I’m very disappointed in the lack of communication from AbD.
I can't imagine how they can possibly think this trip can happen this month, unless they are hoping for a miracle!

Sayhello

I have friends booked through another travel company and their trip has been canceled. The tour this week apparently flew in one day and they flew them home the day after because it was so unsafe. I hope AbD makes the right decision for tour trip soon.

All of the December departures have been removed from the AbD website. My experience with something similar is they will contact guests based on departure dates, with the earliest departure coming first.

Once again, thank you to those that commented! I didn’t think to check the AbD website until Mathmagicland mentioned it.
I really hope that AbD will give us a full refund and we can try to plan something else.

Our trip has officially been cancelled. We are now planning an alternative! I’ve never planned a trip in this short a timeline…
So sorry the circumstances required that your trip be cancelled, but I'm glad ABD finally made a decision. Best of luck with your planning for a new trip!

Sayhello

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/machu-picchu-tourists-stranded-amid-protests/index.html

It is upsetting, but reading about the plight of people who got stuck there certainly put it in perspective.
I am absolutely thrilled that they cancelled, I’m just not pleased with the way AbD handled things.
We definitely don’t want to go somewhere unsafe. I also don’t think it’s moral to travel to an area that has its resources stretched and become an additional burden.
While we are not taking the trip we originally planned, I am okay with our backup.

We are now planning an alternative! I’ve never planned a trip in this short a timeline…

While we are not taking the trip we originally planned, I am okay with our backup.
Very happy you are still able to do another trip! If you don’t mind sharing, I’m curious on what you’ve been able to pull together on your short timeline.

I am absolutely thrilled that they cancelled, I’m just not pleased with the way AbD handled things.
We definitely don’t want to go somewhere unsafe. I also don’t think it’s moral to travel to an area that has its resources stretched and become an additional burden.
I totally agree--they do not seem to handle situations like this well. I just think back to the outbreak of the pandemic where they had tours go and refused to cancel them. It's like they do anything not to refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter