Other rides that I think are pretty calm (YMMV) are: Spaceship Earth, Living With The Land, Soarin, and maybe the Frozen ride? Peter Pan's Flight and Jungle Cruise, and maybe Pirates of the Caribbean, although there's a mini dip right at the beginning. Jerky rides include anything like a roller coaster (including Test Track, Goofy's Barnstormer and the Runaway Mine Train), rides where you shoot things (Buzz Lightyear, Men In Black), motion ridesand honestly, I wouldn't trust the teacups.

At Universal, many rides have screens so you're really not moving as much as it seems. That being said, Escape from Gringotts and Spiderman might be too rough. The Hogwarts ride is perhaps smoother, the train ride is super smooth, ET and Kong are fine, the High in the Sky Trolley is fun, as well as the Cat in the Hat. Plenty of theater type shows at Disney and Universal too!

The People Mover of all things hurt something in my brothers back a couple years ago. He was riding backwards and the track zigged and he zagged. He didn't see it coming. I never would have thought to warn him. He was fine after some Advil but was more careful after that.
Good luck and have fun!!!!
That’s so odd, I’m glad to hear it all turned out though - thank you so much!

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is getting a scooter. My DH has L3-L4 stenosis and nerve root narrowing at L4-L5 which he’ll be having surgery for in a couple of weeks. We’ve been to Disney many times but the last two trips stand out the most. January of this year he tried to walk the entire trip (minus a few in park scooter rentals) and it did not go well. We had to stop almost every 20 to 30 minutes so he could rest. It was obvious he was in pain and I don’t think anybody enjoyed the trip. When we went in May I insisted he get a scooter (rented from offsite so he’d have it at the resort) and it was a lifesaver. He was able to enjoy the parks and resort and everyone had a much better trip.

I hope you have a great trip!

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is getting a scooter. My DH has L3-L4 stenosis and nerve root narrowing at L4-L5 which he’ll be having surgery for in a couple of weeks. We’ve been to Disney many times but the last two trips stand out the most. January of this year he tried to walk the entire trip (minus a few in park scooter rentals) and it did not go well. We had to stop almost every 20 to 30 minutes so he could rest. It was obvious he was in pain and I don’t think anybody enjoyed the trip. When we went in May I insisted he get a scooter (rented from offsite so he’d have it at the resort) and it was a lifesaver. He was able to enjoy the parks and resort and everyone had a much better trip.

I hope you have a great trip!
That’s such a good idea, thank you so much!

I had surgery 6 years ago on a herniated disc in my back and have been to the parks many times since. I can ride almost everything but found expedition everest, btmr (magic kingdom one is so much rougher for me compared to disneyland or tokyo), transformers and tot (there were small hard jarring drops last time I rode) uncomfortable. I also avoid space mtn as I know that's rough. I avoided Dinosaur for many trips as I knew it was bumpy but risked it last year and surprisingly, it was fine. It was bumpy but I leant forward a bit and moved with the ride and it was good.

Avoid the cars at MK. Even though they’re on a track it’s guaranteed that you will be hit hard at the end when you’re lining up to get off. People seem to think it’s bumper cars. I haven’t ridden them in years for that reason. Test Track is bumpy.
Also, it’s not always about the ride. You’ll need to think about what might happen if a ride makes a sudden stop for mechanical issues or to assist guests who need it stopped to get off or on.

Get more info on Spaceship Earth. I seem to recall that you travel at a weird angle, which your back might not like. But it’s been a few years for me on that one.

Also, don’t the boats sometimes bump into each other at the end of Pirates?

While I agree with everyone, I wanted to add Slinky Dog in Hollywood Studios. It is high speed from the start. Also, RNRC in HS. I also had a problem with Mickey’s Runaway Railway, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest and Flight of Passge. I have back problems for 31 years so for my next trip in November I will only ride anything appropriate for a toddler!
PSRead that the Remy ride is rough and spins at a certain part. I will be avoiding that one also!!!

Honestly, if it were me, I’d stick to theatre shows and films. I’m a cautious person though, and I wouldn’t want to anything that could impact my back/joints negatively.

I hope you have an amazing vacation no matter what you decide to do, and stay safe !

Honestly, if it were me, I’d stick to theatre shows and films. I’m a cautious person though, and I wouldn’t want to anything that could impact my back/joints negatively.

I hope you have an amazing vacation no matter what you decide to do, and stay safe !
I am definitely the same way - thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter