Poly vs Riviera - Help me spend my money

Not sure about ahead of 11 months but that does seem likely. And yes, if it hasn't been booked yet at 11 months, you can book it yourself. But then it goes back to my previous question, if you're either canceling or booking yourself every year, why pay the extra for the FW?
I think the thing is, if you are already planning on buying X number of points, finding a FW that’s is close to that number of points seems like a no brainer. The way I see it is it is a guarantee you can get a week you like in case availability ever gets tight. And as others have mentioned, if your FW isn’t already booked at the 11 month window you could cancel and rebook without paying the point premium.

That is certainly a very creative way of getting a FW uncharted out of a prospective buyer - by selling them the extra points and advising them to never use it.

OP, if you go this route, be aware you cannot modify your FW yourself. Only MS can do it. If you're concerned that your room choice will go right at 8 AM, you're already behind the curve because MS doesn't open until 9.

To be perfectly honest I haven’t felt great about our guide. I’m not sure if requesting a different one is an option?

I think the thing is, if you are already planning on buying X number of points, finding a FW that’s is close to that number of points seems like a no brainer. The way I see it is it is a guarantee you can get a week you like in case availability ever gets tight. And as others have mentioned, if your FW isn’t already booked at the 11 month window you could cancel and rebook without paying the point premium.

Exactly. The FW doesn’t change our eligibility for incentives. The only down side of having the FW seems to be we can’t break the contract up into smaller pieces. I like the idea of having a guaranteed week if we ever want it.

Not sure about ahead of 11 months but that does seem likely. And yes, if it hasn't been booked yet at 11 months, you can book it yourself. But then it goes back to my previous question, if you're either canceling or booking yourself every year, why pay the extra for the FW?
Exactly. The FW doesn’t change our eligibility for incentives. The only down side of having the FW seems to be we can’t break the contract up into smaller pieces. I like the idea of having a guaranteed week if we ever want it.

You can cancel the FW ahead of 11 months and get the points. I think most people with FW's like them for the guarantee in case they need it. I usually travel the same week each year, but I will opt out some years. Plus with the reallocation, my point premium went down from 12 points to 7 points. 7 extra points to guarantee a busy week is not bad.

I wanted the incentive, so I bought the FW plus a small contract to reach that level. So I wasn't buying extra points just to get the FW and I might benefit from selling the smaller contract down the line.

I asked my guide about it, not the other way around. He was pretty knowledgeable about it and didn't pressure me at all.

I own points at Poly and Riv and love both resorts (also own BLT points). I will say, if you want convenience for RunDisney weekends, poly cannot be beat. I have done 2 and the ability to walk to the starting line at the TTC cannot be beat. The last one we did, we were with others who stayed elsewhere, and they had a whole different experience that morning (e.g., getting up much earlier, in a morning that starts really early, to catch a bus, etc.). I have stayed at the poly over a dozen times throughout various times of the year and have never had problems getting a studio.

Riviera is also a great resort and we find the Skyliner to be a really easy/quick way to pop in and out of parks throughout the day.

I have a mix of direct and resale points and have no regrets with either. They key is knowing what you want the points for and if the direct perks are not important, then go for resale. Lastly, this should be considered a long-term commitment, and if you are not absolutely committed to holding long-term, you may want to think twice. So, if the resale restrictions on Riviera are holding you back, then that may be telling you something.

I own points at Poly and Riv and love both resorts (also own BLT points). I will say, if you want convenience for RunDisney weekends, poly cannot be beat. I have done 2 and the ability to walk to the starting line at the TTC cannot be beat. The last one we did, we were with others who stayed elsewhere, and they had a whole different experience that morning (e.g., getting up much earlier, in a morning that starts really early, to catch a bus, etc.). I have stayed at the poly over a dozen times throughout various times of the year and have never had problems getting a studio.

Riviera is also a great resort and we find the Skyliner to be a really easy/quick way to pop in and out of parks throughout the day.

I have a mix of direct and resale points and have no regrets with either. They key is knowing what you want the points for and if the direct perks are not important, then go for resale. Lastly, this should be considered a long-term commitment, and if you are not absolutely committed to holding long-term, you may want to think twice. So, if the resale restrictions on Riviera are holding you back, then that may be telling you something.

The plan is to keep it long term (possibly the whole length of the contract), but with no one to deed it to when we pass I think it's possible there will come a time in our old age when it makes more sense to sell. We will be over 80 when the contract ends. I hope out health holds out and we're rocking Epcot at 80 though! Also, you never know what life can bring. I like knowing I can offload an asset if I have to, which actually is why I like Disney's RoFR and that the contracts have an actual end date. Knowing Disney will buy it and the dues aren't in perpetuity is appealing.

Also, thanks for the insight on runDisney specifically! The idea of walking to TCC for race weekends is VERY appealing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy Poly direct for your purposes...mostly b/c the direct price is just so much more than the resale price, and with so many studios, I don't think you'll have an issue getting a room there.

But if you do decide to go direct no matter what -- then RIV is the better financial decision. If the purchase price is $187 as you stated, then you're only losing about $50-$60 per point if you had to sell right now -- whereas Poly direct would be about $80-$100 loss.

Honestly though -- maybe someone else can chime in -- but a FW is probably not really necessary for either of those resorts, since they are both fairly large. The only reason I would do a FW for RIV is if I wanted to grab a Tower Studio.

If you got away from a FW, then you could break up your contract into 3x50 and a 1x25. Since there are no closing costs -- doing extra small contracts wouldn't actually cost you anything -- AND if you ever wanted to downsize in the future -- you could easily just sell one of those...and they'd be for more $$$ per point since people do pay premiums for small contracts.

I wouldn't buy Poly direct for your purposes...mostly b/c the direct price is just so much more than the resale price, and with so many studios, I don't think you'll have an issue getting a room there.

But if you do decide to go direct no matter what -- then RIV is the better financial decision. If the purchase price is $187 as you stated, then you're only losing about $50-$60 per point if you had to sell right now -- whereas Poly direct would be about $80-$100 loss.

Honestly though -- maybe someone else can chime in -- but a FW is probably not really necessary for either of those resorts, since they are both fairly large. The only reason I would do a FW for RIV is if I wanted to grab a Tower Studio.

If you got away from a FW, then you could break up your contract into 3x50 and a 1x25. Since there are no closing costs -- doing extra small contracts wouldn't actually cost you anything -- AND if you ever wanted to downsize in the future -- you could easily just sell one of those...and they'd be for more $$$ per point since people do pay premiums for small contracts.
If you wanted a studio, a FW is worth it - especially for standard view, as there are only 9 dedicated standard studios and 58 part of 2 BR lock-offs. Preferred view is 29 and 90, respectively. Riviera has 341 total rooms (PVB has 380).

It sounds like you would prefer Poly. I’d do a resale there-the fixed weeks aren’t set of for race weekends there so I don’t think direct makes sense for your situation.

Lorana covered why a FW for standard view RIV studio could be beneficial (that's one reason I bought my FW). Just wanted to put it out there that FW's aren't offered for Tower studios.

I did a FW plus a small 25pt contract to reach the incentive level, so best of both worlds for me. But breaking a purchase up into smaller pieces could definitely work better for someone else.

I would purchase PVB resale and if you want direct perks benefits, and like RIV, purchase direct - not fixed week though. I would buy it in a 50 and 75 point contract. This way you can use it for other weekends. PVB for resale is my first choice

I would purchase PVB resale and if you want direct perks benefits, and like RIV, purchase direct - not fixed week though. I would buy it in a 50 and 75 point contract. This way you can use it for other weekends. PVB for resale is my first choice
You can use a FW for other weekends.

You can use a FW for other weekends.
Yes but FW at RIV is one contract. I think resale will be a tougher sell. Also if you buy PVB resale first you will get the member price for direct which I think is 10. Less per point

Last edited:
Sounds like Poly is the better choice for you at this time outside of cost. I'd go resale and forget about the FW. If down the line there is a new resort you have to stay at you can either sell the Poly contract or rent out your points.

Are you going to have WDW pried out of your cold dead hands? AND you have someone to pass it down to who will do the same? If not, I'm a never-Riv. The resort is just huge, and the resale restrictions are massive. No one knows what will happen to resale. RIV is only 20% sold and will keep getting sold direct for a long time. Its pricing could do anything. You might need to sell for all kinds of reasons. I like more flexibility more than less.

First, you need to pick up the phone and figure out what you can get. Guides have been weird about direct weeks, and even weirder about this one in particular. This might not even be possible to buy.

I'd really think about Poly resale. It's almost all studios, so easy-ish to book at 11 mo, especially if you walk. And its resale has a known fixed price. So, if you change your mind or need to sell, it's really not a huge deal at all. Not like buying direct with a premium.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter