• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Possible deal on Disney GC at Target

Just saw that 12/3 is the date for the 10% off target gift cards!! Thanks for the heads up!

Are people still successfully buying Disney entertainment cards (i.e. gift cards) with Target gift cards? I know I did this myself 3-4 years ago (buying $300 of Target gift cards for $270 around Black Friday) and then purchasing Disney Gift Cards; however, I thought I had read that people were no longer able to do that. I'm getting an extra cash back doubling on Discover, so I'd gladly buy $4,000 of Target gift cards for $3,600, get my 5% Discover bonus of $180, and in September get an extra $180 for a net of 19% off. HOWEVER, I don't want to get stuck with $4,000 of Target gift cards if it no longer is working to buy Disney entertainment cards!!!! (Well worth spending the day wandering between different Target stores!)

Just want to confirm no one has been unsuccessful recently.

Are people still successfully buying Disney entertainment cards (i.e. gift cards) with Target gift cards? I know I did this myself 3-4 years ago (buying $300 of Target gift cards for $270 around Black Friday) and then purchasing Disney Gift Cards; however, I thought I had read that people were no longer able to do that. I'm getting an extra cash back doubling on Discover, so I'd gladly buy $4,000 of Target gift cards for $3,600, get my 5% Discover bonus of $180, and in September get an extra $180 for a net of 19% off. HOWEVER, I don't want to get stuck with $4,000 of Target gift cards if it no longer is working to buy Disney entertainment cards!!!! (Well worth spending the day wandering between different Target stores!)

Just want to confirm no one has been unsuccessful recently.
My mom did about 3 weeks ago, purchased a 100 dollar gift card with her redcard and it was 95.

Does anyone know what increments Target sells Disney gift cards? I'd use the 5% red card discount, but I might just be too lazy to buy & use 100 individual gift cards $50 each. If, however, I could buy 10 for $500 each, that's way more palatable to me.

Does anyone know what increments Target sells Disney gift cards? I'd use the 5% red card discount, but I might just be too lazy to buy & use 100 individual gift cards $50 each. If, however, I could buy 10 for $500 each, that's way more palatable to me.
They sell 100 at the store.

I am new to the whole Target gift card/Red card thing, so please forgive the stupid question:

If they are selling Target gift cards on 12/3 at 10% off, can I use my Red card to make that purchase (in-store) to receive an additional 5% off, and then use those cards (again, in-store) to buy the Disney cards the next day at an aggregate 15% discount?

Last edited:
I am new to the whole Target gift card/Red card thing, so please forgive the stupid question:

If they are selling Target gift cards on 12/3 at 10% off, can I use my Red card to make that purchase (in-store) to receive an additional 5% off, and then use those cards (again, in-store) to buy the Disney cards the next day at an aggregate 15% discount?
That's what the question is. "Can we use the Target Gift Card to purchase Disney Gift Cards?"

Typically, gift cards are not allowed the 5% discount by using your Red Card to purchase them. That said, in the past, Disney Gift cards (which are identified as "entertainment" cards in the Target system) can get the 5% off by purchasing them with your Red Card.

That's what the question is. "Can we use the Target Gift Card to purchase Disney Gift Cards?"

Typically, gift cards are not allowed the 5% discount by using your Red Card to purchase them. That said, in the past, Disney Gift cards (which are identified as "entertainment" cards in the Target system) can get the 5% off by purchasing them with your Red Card.

Thx. Yes, I have frequently purchased Disney cards with my Red card and gotten the 5%. However, I have never tried “stacking” like this before.

I'm usually all over the discount thing, but I'm confused by this. On 12/3 you would use your Target Red Card to buy Target GCs at 10% off, then you use the Target GC to buy Disney GCs. Is that correct? However we are not sure if Target will allow you to use the Target GC to buy Disney GC?

I'm usually all over the discount thing, but I'm confused by this. On 12/3 you would use your Target Red Card to buy Target GCs at 10% off, then you use the Target GC to buy Disney GCs. Is that correct? However we are not sure if Target will allow you to use the Target GC to buy Disney GC?
That is the desire. (Or use your Discover Card to buy $1,500 of Target Gift Cards, because Oct-Dec is 5% cashback on Discover at Target/Amazon; so same discount as Red Card.) The issue is if you can still buy Disney Gift Cards (which are considered prepaid entertainment cards by Target) or if they have closed that loophole. In the past many people (myself included) have purchased the Disney cards with Target gift cards. We've been hearing reports of people saying that they were unable to do that now, and a few people saying that they were still able to do it. However, there are also people who were getting confused with purchasing Disney gift cards with their Target Red Card store credit card and getting the standard 5% discount for using the Red Card (which is still allowed) and purchasing Disney gift cards with Target GIFT cards.

I will buy target gift cards at Kroger. Get fuel points and cash back. Use those gift cards Sunday at target to buy target gift cards. $270 buys $300. Use those gift cards Monday to buy Disney gift cards. I’ve done this the last few years and in my experience you can still buy target gift cards with target gift cards and Disney gift cards with target gift cards in store. I will be using self checkout.

I think you might want to ask a Target manager ahead of time if the Target gift cards can be used to buy Disney gift cards. If they say "yes", get their name. If you try making the purchase and it does not work, you kind of have them boxed in: "Your manager Kevin told me two days ago that I could use these to buy Disney gift cards".

Going back to my earlier post, it kind of bugs me that so many things are excluded in these offers. Apple, Google, Xbox One, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Exploding Kittens, Sonos, Lego, etc. - stuff that people really want (especially in the holiday season), and stuff that probably served as the impetus for getting in on these 10%/20% deals.

I am certain that more than a few people will try that 20% coupon on an Xbox game or Lego set as a present for their kid, only to be disappointed that it doesn't work. And, again, you were not presented with the exclusions until after you spent your +$50.

I mean, it was Black frickin' Friday. Are you to tell me with a straight face that this 20% "lure" was intended for people looking to stock up on Mossimo jeans, Capri Sun and Lemon Pledge?

Last edited:
Exclusions are nothing new. Look at sales and codes/coupons for Kohl's, Macy's, too many brands that do not allow discounting.

As for pushing for discounts by getting manager approval, if it requires bending the policy to get a discount that the store is not offering, is it worth possibly resulting in the manager being reprimanded or terminated?

Exclusions are nothing new. Look at sales and codes/coupons for Kohl's, Macy's, too many brands that do not allow discounting.

As for pushing for discounts by getting manager approval, if it requires bending the policy to get a discount that the store is not offering, is it worth possibly resulting in the manager being reprimanded or terminated?

Fair enough. Exclusions are not new. But the extent of Target's exclusions, and how they are disclosed in this present case are what bug me.

Excluding so much stuff - again, stuff that they know is a lure on Black Friday - starts to feel a tiny bit "bait & switch"-y. Especially in this case, where they won't tell you the exclusions until after you've made the +$50 purchase.

Lesson learned. I will not get excited for Target's Black Friday coupon next year.

As for pushing for the override - the manager knows the limits of their discretion, and what will or will not get them in trouble. No one is holding a gun to their head, and no one can "make" them do anything that might jeopardize their job.

Last edited:
It is the brands that control the discounts, not the retailer. Look at Nike for an example.

In years past, people were advocating pushing for discounts by pursuing the managers. That "discretion," as you term it, is not as freely allowable due to customer abuses to receive discounts that the retailer did not intend.

It is the brands that control the discounts, not the retailer. Look at Nike for an example.

In years past, people were advocating pushing for discounts by pursuing the managers. That "discretion," as you term it, is not as freely allowable due to customer abuses to receive discounts that the retailer did not intend.

That's fine. If that truly is the limit of their discretion, then they should not offer the override. Again, no one (least of all, me) can make the manager do anything that might jeopardize their job, so I am not really worried about "getting them in trouble".

I, as a customer, do not know which exclusions originate from Target policy and which originate from contractual agreement with the brand. I do not know which exclusions can be granted an exception, and which exclusions are hard-and-fast.

As such, I see no harm in asking, or even pressing the issue just a little bit, calmly and politely.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter