Probability of Cruise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyPrincess

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked on the June 17th Mediterranean cruise...does anyone think there are any better odds of cruising if we change to the July 25th Northern European itinerary??
I think I know the answer, I’m just grasping for glimmers of hope at this point 😢

The way things look right now Europe, is probably going to remain on total lock down for quite a while, with Italy and Spain being hot spots of infection and fatalities, with other countries quickly adding more to the totals, I doubt we'll see the Magic cross the Atlantic this year.

If the Magic doesn't come to Europe it would mean its dry dock isn't happening which I would doubt they would want to postpone unless they had to. The world is changing every single day and no one can really say either way but I would assume that if they can use that dry dock slot they will in which case the Magic will come over to Europe. Now whether it does any of the summer cruises is another question and I think in reality no one can answer this. I don't think any of us 2 months ago would think this many cruises would have been cancelled and countries would be on lock down like they are. I'm waiting it out and seeing what happens. I'm booked on the WBTA and still living in hope it happens. Until Disney tell me it isn't then there isn't much point changing things up as I could change and be in the same position and this was the cruise I wanted to do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I can’t see how this cruise could possibly leave from Dover. London is a real hotspot in the UK and that is where most people would fly in to. We are in lockdown here in the UK and we expect our current measures to last around 13 weeks, which takes us to end of June but we have been told social distancing could last for next 6 months. There is no way we will be back to normal travelling by 25th July. I would not change booking to this cruise. Btw Denmark have strict measures too so can’t imagine cruise could go from Copenhagen either.

I agree with the above comments and if indeed we manage to flatten the curve in the UK by the summer, I don’t see the point in residents essentially pausing our economy and social distancing for months just to open the ports to cruise ships and create a second wave. China for example have recently closed their borders to foreign nationals to prevent this. There are many countries around the world that are behind us in terms of infection so I’m not convinced that non-essential global travel will be reinstated any time soon. Sorry if this sounds like doom and gloom but it’s the hand we’ve been dealt in 2020. As much as we love cruising, I can’t see it as a priority whilst this CV is hanging over us.

I’m not even hopeful my late July Bahamas cruise will sail. I’d think there’s even less of a chance of a European cruise sailing.

Im scheduled to sail on the 7/1/2020 11 day Mediterranean. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the Magic isn't going to the Med this summer. Im even questioning whether it makes the trip across the Atlantic at all. According to rumor, DCL let go of the crew members doing entertainment training in Toronto for the Magic's European itineraries last week. That's a huge red flag to me. Even if all of these countries (both here and in Europe) magically got this thing under control by May, you need to bring them all back in, sign new contracts, get them back into rehearsals - and hope to get them on board in time to get the ship across the Atlantic. Consider all of the countries in total lockdown. Consider how long it will take for these lockdowns to lift. For European businesses to snap back. What about airlines? The one I was supposed to fly is on the brink of bankruptcy. I canceled by refundable flights last week. Still waiting for a refund...and the email I received confirming the cancelation shows no indication of when that refund will process. Things are really bad over there and here.

If DCL salvages anything on the magic, it's after 7/25 and I think anything currently removed from the website is as good as gone. I get the impression they removed those cruises from the website to prevent people from speculatively booking the cruise to snag a 25% windfall off of the 125% credit. That means that a cancelation is legitimately on the table.

I booked a placeholder on the 8/17 Dream along with some WDW time - as a backup, in case we don't sail the med this summer -- maybe we can do something....and Im starting to question whether I go on that.

That was going to be our Plan B cruise as well and I even booked some (REFUNDABLE!!!) hotels before and after in Copenhagen just in case, but last night we started talking about the reality of the situation and began looking at summer 2021. The challenge for us is that due to some things going on with DH's work, we can't sail until late July/early August next summer and our airfare credit will expire in June. (Currently Norwegian is allowing cancellations to be rebooked within a year of their original reservation date, which is June for us.) I'm not sure how to handle that. I hate to be out $4k but I don't know that I can do anything about it. I'm hoping if DCL cancels I can (maybe?) file a claim with trip insurance. I know most policies don't cover pandemics (to be honest, I haven't even checked ours) but I'm hoping that if DCL cancels, maybe insurance will cover?

Thanks all!

In my heart, I know the reality...I just can't cruise next summer due to work commitments. So, I'm a bit stuck as when we can go. It will all be fine...just disappointed (as everyone else is).

I am in the opposite side. I am wondering if I will travel to the States this summer from Europe and if I don’t go then I will lose the plane tickets.

Same here to be honest but I've already ruled out this happening at the time originally planned (May). Whether it happens later in the year is another convo I guess. I feel that most holiday companies will go out of business if this goes on past the summer but who knows.

Same here to be honest but I've already ruled out this happening at the time originally planned (May). Whether it happens later in the year is another convo I guess. I feel that most holiday companies will go out of business if this goes on past the summer but who knows.
I would just wait and see what happens. A lot of people say they know what's going to happen, but they really don't. Everything's up in the air and things change quickly. If we peak in 2 weeks like the experts say we should be on the mend by June. What government officials decide to do is another story. As the economy continues to collapse they may change there mind about keeping everything closed for months. It also may turn out this virus isn't as deadly as first thought. There's a lotta unknowns.

I'm not scheduled to be on a cruise but we do have a mid-July 2-week European trip planned (London, Berlin, and Iceland) and I have serious doubts as to whether that will go forward. I'm not canceling now, mainly because my airlines (Delta and KLM/Icelandair) have not announced concessions for that far ahead.

A June 17 Europe cruise you will have better odds winning the power ball.
a July 25 Europe cruise you have a little better odds but you will have better odds winning your state lottery.
so sorry not happening. I call it like I see it.

If the Magic doesn't come to Europe it would mean its dry dock isn't happening which I would doubt they would want to postpone unless they had to. The world is changing every single day and no one can really say either way but I would assume that if they can use that dry dock slot they will in which case the Magic will come over to Europe. Now whether it does any of the summer cruises is another question and I think in reality no one can answer this. I don't think any of us 2 months ago would think this many cruises would have been cancelled and countries would be on lock down like they are. I'm waiting it out and seeing what happens. I'm booked on the WBTA and still living in hope it happens. Until Disney tell me it isn't then there isn't much point changing things up as I could change and be in the same position and this was the cruise I wanted to do.

Dry dock is probably really low on the list of priorities for DCL. Although floating around in the Bahamas/FL Coast or sailing to Europe for their dry dock overhead would be similar. It would depend on what the dry dock is used for (critical maintenance or just interior upgrades).

Dry dock is probably really low on the list of priorities for DCL. Although floating around in the Bahamas/FL Coast or sailing to Europe for their dry dock overhead would be similar. It would depend on what the dry dock is used for (critical maintenance or just interior upgrades).

sorry It will be about two and a half years since the magic had a dry dock. The magic is old it has to be done. Even if dcl doesn’t want to get it done there is laws on how long a cruise ship can go without a dry dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter