Rationing again?

Cars have been this way since May it's already been an issue.

Current estimates are pricing won't get a relief until sometime in 2023.

Yep. We bought 2 automobiles in May 2020. One for dh and one for a son. We are so glad we were able to get really good deals on 2 great automobiles for them. They replaced a 2001 Honda Accord (still working well, but we didn't want to send it off with our college student daughter 5 hours away. She got dh's 2014 corolla) and a 2007 Honda Civic. The civic had a problem that 3 different mechanics could not find.

We were going to buy 2 others this year. One for me and one for another son to replace a 2008 Toyota Sienna van with 182,000 miles and a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe with 225,000 miles.

Used car prices have skyrocketed due to the shortage of available parts and cars.

We've put these purchases on hold indefinitely. Fingers crossed our autos will continue to be reliable until prices come down and shortages are lifted.

Have you considered that people who get grocery delivery might fall into these categories?
  • transplant recipients who really can't risk getting sick
  • medical professionals who are working massive amounts of overtime to care for people who are in the ICU (in my area, hospitals are completely full)
  • people with children who are too young to get vaccinated who don't want to expose their children to potential illness
  • people who themselves are ill and are being forced to quarantine
  • people (like me) who are managing my home, home-schooling my 3 kids because our schools aren't taking safety seriously, a full-time job, and a DH who is traveling 50% of the time to install testing machines and medical equipment manufacturing machines so the medical professionals have enough supplies. That's my situation, but I know a lot of others in similar ones.
I suspect those folks were the folks who have been using delivery for years. The surge since the pandemic started, probably very few of those folks. My next door neighbors fall into the category of folks who just don't like to leave the house. Both 30, 2 year old, both work at home (and always have, long before the pandemic) They have a gardener, a cleaning lady, and even had Taco Bell delivered. And about every other weekend all summer long they host maskless pool parties for I don;t think there are health concerns.

Just back from the stores, Walmart and local chain grocery store. No a single empty slot in the TP aisle. Which given it was 730 am on Sunday morning and they were just starting to stock shelves for the day is probably a good sign there is no shortage here.

People keep mentioning labor shortage. With 3-5 Walmart employees with their huge carts in each aisle getting in the way shopping for the lazy people, it's not a labor shortage situation. There's plenty of labor, they are just catering to the lazy who won't do their own shopping and leaving the shelves empty for those who aren't lazy.
Many like using their time more efficiently by putting in an order and utilizing the quick drive up.
Others do online ordering due to health reasons.
I don't see laziness in either instance.

My area has shortages, but I think it delivery issues mainly. I live in a small town, and are usually the last on the delivery route. As for grocery pick up, I firmly land in the very lazy section. I only use it when I am no a strict budge or feeling lazy.

What difference is it if people use pick up services? It is offered and available. There is no moral failing for using it, nor is there any for using delivered meal kits, or eating processed foods rather than scratch, etc. People need to account for themselves and not for others.

Exactly. Love the convenience. With 4 kids, I have spent many hours of my life slogging through grocery stores with a huge overfilled basket of groceries. I have done my time! Lol! 😆

I do like to walk through a store when I have time sometimes for inspiration on new meals and new products. But most of the time, grocery pick up is a blessing.

Do people think this idea is really novel to current times?

In the 1920s and 30s, my grandmother's brothers were grocery delivery boys for the family meat market and local grocery.

In the not too distant past,, milk was delivered to homes daily.

I have often wished we could go back to those practices. And here we are!

While I have yet to do it I know some people who have, in our area a local dairy farm does delivery services. They sell in grocery stores but their delivery service is popular. They do glass bottles for milk and if you have that delivered to your home they'll credit your account if you give them empty bottles back. They do other grocery items with their delivery (eggs, bread, meat, etc) and they do have other products than just milk (like cheese, ice cream, etc) from their actual dairy farm (which you can visit and say hello to the cows).

They like to do specialty flavors too especially to support local professional teams and they tend to sell out quickly in stores. It's just kinda a cute thing to have even if you're buying at the store you get the glass milk bottles.

60 years ago we had milk delivery. That's three generations ago! But that was when it was much more common for women not to be working and be home for the delivery.

I may be late to the game, but I haven’t seen these in the stores in a while, and I’d like some:
(from a store, not Amazon… I’m old school.)

60 years ago we had milk delivery. That's three generations ago! But that was when it was much more common for women not to be working and be home for the delivery.

While I have yet to do it I know some people who have, in our area a local dairy farm does delivery services. They sell in grocery stores but their delivery service is popular. They do glass bottles for milk and if you have that delivered to your home they'll credit your account if you give them empty bottles back. They do other grocery items with their delivery (eggs, bread, meat, etc) and they do have other products than just milk (like cheese, ice cream, etc) from their actual dairy farm (which you can visit and say hello to the cows).

They like to do specialty flavors too especially to support local professional teams and they tend to sell out quickly in stores. It's just kinda a cute thing to have even if you're buying at the store you get the glass milk bottles.

Still happens. And delivery is not novel. Just fell out of common practice when super centers and malls and suburbs developed and families had more than one car.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I do like to walk through a store when I have time sometimes for inspiration on new meals and new products. But most of the time, grocery pick up is a blessing.

Do people think this idea is really novel to current times?

In the 1920s and 30s, my grandmother's brothers were grocery delivery boys for the family meat market and local grocery.

I have often wished we could go back to those practices. And here we are!

Yes, I've posted on the DIS several times over the last several years about getting my pantry items from delivered from Walmart & Target. They are much better than Amazon for grocery items as there usually aren't minimums of having to order 12 cans of one item. And no Amazon Prime membership needed. Just an order of anything totaling $35 gets free shipping. So, I can add on shampoo, detergent, clothing, etc., to make the free shipping. :thumbsup2

I have a thyroid problem that had been misdiagnosed for years with the wrong meds. I was so exhausted that a trip to the grocery store would completely wipe me out physically. Being able to order online had been a huge blessing. For me, the one thing "good" about the pandemic is that shopping for grocery items has gotten even more popular now and will probably stay that way, long after the pandemic is over. :thumbsup2 Whereas before, it was a necessity for me, it is now a wonderful convenience.

Also, it is a real money saver. In NYC, a can or corn or chick peas is $2.29 per can. And every other item is jacked up in price too. :badpc: Due to lack of grocery store shelf space, there aren't many choices of a products either. Whereas, I can pick through choices at Walmart or Target online and get a cheaper brand. Walmart has corn for about 59 per can (when they have it in stock.) And Target now has their own organic brand cans of different veggies and I can get low sodium, organic chick peas for 89₵. :worship:

Still happens. And delivery is not novel. Just fell out of common practice when super centers and malls and suburbs developed and families had more than one car.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
The big difference between then and now, in those days it was all prepackaged items so you knew what you were getting. A gallon of whole milk. A pound of sharp cheddar cheese. A pound of butter. I don't someone guessing which steak I want, what color my bananas are. These boards have been littered with complaints about pickup mistakes. Someone ordered a Turkey Roast and got.................a Turkey Roast, a pressed frozen roast of turkey pieces pressed together. What she really wanted was a boneless turkey breast....to road. Or the lady who ordered 4 onions and got 40 POUNDS of onions. Yes the mistakes were corrected, but what a hassle.

The big difference between then and now, in those days it was all prepackaged items so you knew what you were getting. A gallon of whole milk. A pound of sharp cheddar cheese. A pound of butter. I don't someone guessing which steak I want, what color my bananas are. These boards have been littered with complaints about pickup mistakes. Someone ordered a Turkey Roast and got.................a Turkey Roast, a pressed frozen roast of turkey pieces pressed together. What she really wanted was a boneless turkey breast....to road. Or the lady who ordered 4 onions and got 40 POUNDS of onions. Yes the mistakes were corrected, but what a hassle.

Nope. I stated my uncles delivered butchered meats in 1920s and 1930s. People were glad to receive those cuts unseen.

Mistakes happen everywhere.

From the volumes of people using delivery and pick up service daily, mistakes are rare.

Our Walmart has slots daily from 7 am until 9 pm. And increased those slots as demand increased.

Always, Walmart and Amazon have been more than gracious and often over compensate me with like items on the small handful of times there's been an error in my order.

Amazon and delivery trucks are always increasing their staffs because demand is always increasing.

I do agree, I prefer my bananas on the green side, but I forsee future orders having a comments section so that one can say 5 green bananas. For now, I order organic bananas which always come to me green.

I do agree, I prefer my bananas on the green side, but I forsee future orders having a comments section so that one can say 5 green bananas. For now, I order organic bananas which always come to me green.

I've seen Instacart people text photos of different cuts of meat and different fruit to the customers so the customer can choose which ones they prefer.

I wish there was a delivery service that will go to 2-3 different stores in one trip. The other night, I was craving my favorite Thai spring rolls from one restaurant, yet wanted my entree from a different restaurant and another appetizer from a third restaurant. They are all within blocks from each other, so it would have been doable in one trip for one delivery person, rather than 3 different delivery people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter