Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone tell me Its ok to post the site blueprints.... I’m dying over here to share this!!!!

Someone tell me Its ok to post the site blueprints.... I’m dying over here to share this!!!!
Everyone here I’m sure would love to know and they will quickly be picked up by fan sites and published all over the internet. However, in a previous job, I worked on Universals Islands of Adventure and the non-disclosure agreements were very specific and that was before the internet was so prevalent. It’s your decision.

Like I said before, I don't expect Fort Wilderness to be around much longer. Basically sounds like the first step to removing it completely for something that can make more money. Seems Disney isn't interested in maintaining unique experiences these days.

I have only been to FW once and stayed in the cabins; it was an incredible experience. I fear that you may be right as FW might not be as profitable as a resort.

I just wanted to add a little semi-objective info to be considered for this discussion.

Fort Wilderness is larger in acreage than all of the other MK resorts combined. You could fit the Poly, GF, Contemporary, Bay Lake and both sections of Wilderness Lodge in side and have room to spare. You don't need to trust me here, pull up google maps and look. It is also between 2 and 3 times the size of MK. To say a new resort that borders approximately 15% of the total area is going to have such a massive impact that it will forever ruin fort wilderness is crazy. Yes it may effect sight lines from some areas and perhaps you will be able to see, or even access the new resort from pioneer hall. Many may view shared amenities as a good thing. It would also mean the dining facilities of the new resort would be easily available to FW.

The new resort is said to have its own boat dock, which means despite what others might think the beach at FW probably won't be sacrificed. Maybe the view will change maybe not, we will see.

To believe that Disney will allow the a new resort to encroach on the existing so much is to ignore 50 years of precedent. It is the same thinking that is used to justify the panning of the skyliners because the towers "will ruin the existing view." It just isn't true. No other company goest ot such great pains to preserve immersion.

The new resort is clearly at least inspired by prairie school architecture . No, that isn't like the existing resorts in the area (FW and WLV) but that is a good thing. The design is stylistically different than anything else on property. I happen to like prairie school architecture. It is is nature inspired despite what many on this thread might believe. The lines compliment and "reflect" those in the existing landscape. Clearly those that named the resort understand this concept. Until you see the architecture and the landscape together in a panoramic view it is hard to understand this. In any case, those who don't care for it can continue to patronize one of the many other options.

Based on the number of rooms and concept art, Jambo house is probably a fair comparison for the new resort scale (not including the bungalows) Approx 900+ rooms. Jambo plus 1/2 of Kidani is not accurate.

The idea that Disney does not care or does not have interest in providing unique or one of a kind experiences is also not supported by any facts. The variety of experiences, attractions, and accommodations offered at WDW is unrivaled anywhere in the world. This year alone they began construction on a brand new, free for everyone, transportation system. They also announced a new class of resort with a fully immersive experience. As things are added, it is true other option might be effected, but that is progress.

Just my two cents. I come to this thread to get the latest news about this resort. I admit that the impact the resort will have on existing places is relevant. The continuous barrage of attacks on Disney for electing to build new facilities for its guest seems both irrelevant and unnecessary.

I just wanted to add a little semi-objective info to be considered for this discussion.

Fort Wilderness is larger in acreage than all of the other MK resorts combined. You could fit the Poly, GF, Contemporary, Bay Lake and both sections of Wilderness Lodge in side and have room to spare. You don't need to trust me here, pull up google maps and look. It is also between 2 and 3 times the size of MK. To say a new resort that borders approximately 15% of the total area is going to have such a massive impact that it will forever ruin fort wilderness is crazy. Yes it may effect sight lines from some areas and perhaps you will be able to see, or even access the new resort from pioneer hall. Many may view shared amenities as a good thing. It would also mean the dining facilities of the new resort would be easily available to FW.

The new resort is said to have its own boat dock, which means despite what others might think the beach at FW probably won't be sacrificed. Maybe the view will change maybe not, we will see.

To believe that Disney will allow the a new resort to encroach on the existing so much is to ignore 50 years of precedent. It is the same thinking that is used to justify the panning of the skyliners because the towers "will ruin the existing view." It just isn't true. No other company goest ot such great pains to preserve immersion.

The new resort is clearly at least inspired by prairie school architecture . No, that isn't like the existing resorts in the area (FW and WLV) but that is a good thing. The design is stylistically different than anything else on property. I happen to like prairie school architecture. It is is nature inspired despite what many on this thread might believe. The lines compliment and "reflect" those in the existing landscape. Clearly those that named the resort understand this concept. Until you see the architecture and the landscape together in a panoramic view it is hard to understand this. In any case, those who don't care for it can continue to patronize one of the many other options.

Based on the number of rooms and concept art, Jambo house is probably a fair comparison for the new resort scale (not including the bungalows) Approx 900+ rooms. Jambo plus 1/2 of Kidani is not accurate.

The idea that Disney does not care or does not have interest in providing unique or one of a kind experiences is also not supported by any facts. The variety of experiences, attractions, and accommodations offered at WDW is unrivaled anywhere in the world. This year alone they began construction on a brand new, free for everyone, transportation system. They also announced a new class of resort with a fully immersive experience. As things are added, it is true other option might be effected, but that is progress.

Just my two cents. I come to this thread to get the latest news about this resort. I admit that the impact the resort will have on existing places is relevant. The continuous barrage of attacks on Disney for electing to build new facilities for its guest seems both irrelevant and unnecessary.

Well said... but I and others just expected something different. This resort will tie together Wilderness Lodge and Fort Widerness so that being said, you would think the theming would follow suit. You have the Copper Creek story at wilderness lodge where the old mine was... so building a frontier style town resort would of been more welcomed... maybe loosely based on River Country? That fits...
You don’t build the new Tron coaster next to Splash Mountain, and you don’t perform the Hoop Dee Doo Revue in Tomorrowland.

I’m sure it will be lovely. We all have great expectations... sorry to be such a negative Nancy.

To believe that Disney will allow the a new resort to encroach on the existing so much is to ignore 50 years of precedent.
I admit that the impact the resort will have on existing places is relevant.
lootoo,

Thank you for a rational view on this. I am a regular at the Fort and on the Camping forum here. I've been fairly quiet on the new resort, trying to keep an open mind. From the blueprints that have floated around for several years, this will no doubt have an impact near the Settlement. Many campers feel this is the heart of the Fort, hence the resistance and negativity. As you pointed out, the Fort is huge. About a mile from the Outpost/check-in to the Settlement and boat dock. Most of the camping and cabin loops will be unaffected. For a long time, there have been comments about the wasted nonproductive space of the Fort. Mostly from people that have never been or do not appreciate the unique atmosphere at the Fort. (I won't beleaguer the "throw away site" impact, real or perceived) This new resort will be the latest (and questionably largest) thing Disney has done to impact the Fort. Many of us fear this is just the beginning.

Based on the blueprints floating around for a few years and the core sampling I personally witnessed, I'm staying optimistic that Disney will find ways (creative landscaping, building angles) to limit the impact.

On the positive side, I'm looking forward to new dining and shopping options. If the rumored town hall area in front of the Settlement is done tastefully, this could add a lot to that area.

j

Last edited:
Well said... but I and others just expected something different. This resort will tie together Wilderness Lodge and Fort Widerness so that being said, you would think the theming would follow suit. You have the Copper Creek story at wilderness lodge where the old mine was... so building a frontier style town resort would of been more welcomed... maybe loosely based on River Country? That fits...
You don’t build the new Tron coaster next to Splash Mountain, and you don’t perform the Hoop Dee Doo Revue in Tomorrowland.

I’m sure it will be lovely. We all have great expectations... sorry to be such a negative Nancy.

Thanks for such a pleasant and reasonable response.

I'm thinking, and hoping, what we will see is something more akin to the monorail resorts. You can easily and relatively quickly walk from the contemporary to the poly to GF. Each is self contained and the story and themes don't bleed into each other, but the amenities and experiences can be accessed by those staying at the neighboring resorts quickly and easily either on foot or on the monorail. The same can be said for beach club/yacht club and the boardwalk. They are two distinct worlds with just a foot bridge or a boat ride between them.

It is true that you don't build the new tron coaster next to splash mountain. It is also true however, that when you disembark your light cycle you have the choice of remaining in tomorrow land or turning one corner to find yourself smack in the middle of an old-fashioned main street, or turning a different corner to discover a delightful land of fantasy.

It is my hope that shore of bay lake will yield a similar experience. I hope to find three self contained immersive worlds right around the corner from each other, just a short walk or boat trip away. You can start in a pacific northwest logging community and railroad resort, continue on to this new world where prairie architecture blends in with the natural beauty of the woods and the lake, and end your trip in a frontier tent and cabin community.

I think WDW has successfully executed such transitions between different themes in close proximity before so I am hopeful, but there is absolutely no way to know whether my optimistic vision is any more accurate than others pessimistic view. We shall have to wait and see.

Many campers feel this is the heart of the Fort, hence the resistance and negativity.
j

Quick question as we never stay at F Wilderness, but look forward to new DVC Resorts as they are always fun to try out and enjoy.

What would it be like if it was still River Country? In other words was that a better option to have that water park there compared to this incoming resort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter