Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
I know I'll never ride ROTR under the current system. FP+ would give me a chance, but waking up at some God-awful hour of the morning on vacation? Hard pass. No ride is worth that, even if our circumstances might permit it to happen.

I almost think that the ride should go to a hybrid of the two systems. Release X% (40?) through the FASTPASS+ system. Release Y% (40 also?) through the Boarding Groups system. Release the rest for a Standby line. Have a little bit of the best of each available.

I know I'll never ride ROTR under the current system. FP+ would give me a chance, but waking up at some God-awful hour of the morning on vacation? Hard pass. No ride is worth that, even if our circumstances might permit it to happen.

I almost think that the ride should go to a hybrid of the two systems. Release X% (40?) through the FASTPASS+ system. Release Y% (40 also?) through the Boarding Groups system. Release the rest for a Standby line. Have a little bit of the best of each available.

I agree! I think there needs to be another category! I read a suggestion from someone in another thread that I thought was a great idea similar to yours.

Fastpasses for early booking AND boarding groups for day of riding. they could control how many boarding groups a day so that even they don’t need to wait hours in standby. I don’t know if standby would or could fit into that at all but who knows!

I agree! I think there needs to be another category! I read a suggestion from someone in another thread that I thought was a great idea similar to yours.

Fastpasses for early booking AND boarding groups for day of riding. they could control how many boarding groups a day so that even they don’t need to wait hours in standby. I don’t know if standby would or could fit into that at all but who knows!
The problem with this seemingly great idea is that right now the ride's performance is totally unpredictable. You could have a FP+ for 10 a.m. and the ride could be down for 4 hours. Then what? This isn't a theoretical scenario. There have been days where this has been the case. Go over to the RotR zillion-page-long thread and look at the chart, which is on the first or second page, and you'll see just how unreliable RotR has been. Without going into anything like a spoiler--I would never spoil this ride, it's too amazing--this isn't just a ride and there are numerous different components to it. It's not like one thing needs to be fixed and it'll be totally reliable. There are a lot of moving parts.

Also, with the popularity of this ride, if they had early booking FP+s and you had a reservation less than 8 or 9 days long, you'd be SOL on this one.

They are already controlling the # of boarding groups per day, btw, and that is currently the only way to ride. There's no standby line. If there were, people would be in that line for like 7 or 8 hours. No way.

Also, @Renarr, you wouldn't have to wake up at some godawful hour if the park opening was at 8, like it's been this week, unless you consider anything before 8 a.m. to be godawful early. You could get up at 7, catch a rideshare, and be inside the park by 8, unless you're staying miles and miles away.

I've been watching this thread and there are many valid points being made. We like to relax on a vacation and wake up without an alarm clock,but if that what is needed to do getting up early would work. I read the idea to limit the number of times you could ride per days or week which probably would help a little bit, but I voted for the Fast Pass as this way I either know I'm riding or not to plan this years trip accordingly! We go in Oct so we still have a lot of time to see what will happen.

I've been watching this thread and there are many valid points being made. We like to relax on a vacation and wake up without an alarm clock,but if that what is needed to do getting up early would work. I read the idea to limit the number of times you could ride per days or week which probably would help a little bit, but I voted for the Fast Pass as this way I either know I'm riding or not to plan this years trip accordingly! We go in Oct so we still have a lot of time to see what will happen.
It'd be great if things were under control before October and that FP+s were available, especially if you didn't have to have a 10-day trip planned in order to avail yourself of one!

The problem with this seemingly great idea is that right now the ride's performance is totally unpredictable. You could have a FP+ for 10 a.m. and the ride could be down for 4 hours. Then what? This isn't a theoretical scenario. There have been days where this has been the case. Go over to the RotR zillion-page-long thread and look at the chart, which is on the first or second page, and you'll see just how unreliable RotR has been. Without going into anything like a spoiler--I would never spoil this ride, it's too amazing--this isn't just a ride and there are numerous different components to it. It's not like one thing needs to be fixed and it'll be totally reliable. There are a lot of moving parts.

Also, with the popularity of this ride, if they had early booking FP+s and you had a reservation less than 8 or 9 days long, you'd be SOL on this one.

They are already controlling the # of boarding groups per day, btw, and that is currently the only way to ride. There's no standby line. If there were, people would be in that line for like 7 or 8 hours. No way.

Also, @Renarr, you wouldn't have to wake up at some godawful hour if the park opening was at 8, like it's been this week, unless you consider anything before 8 a.m. to be godawful early. You could get up at 7, catch a rideshare, and be inside the park by 8, unless you're staying miles and miles away.

I think the FP would need to be implemented when the ride becomes more reliable. At this point - it doesn't seem ready for it but hopefully it can be a new normal that it is reliable vs. being down for 4 hours. And then at that point they can more safely delegate a certain number to FP and a certain number to BGs.

And I'd be good with needing a longer stay to get the fastpasses, 60+7,8,9, whichever. Better than nothing. There's got to be some bonus for staying onsite for a longer period of time. There was one report on the ROTR threads where a person went 3 mornings and was not able to ride. What a complete waste of vacation time of and such a bummer.

And if the park opens at 8am I think you'd be cutting it awfully close to get in the park if you woke up at 7am. By the time you got your ride share (and they sound to be pretty busy too because of this boarding group business) with sometimes a 15 minute wait and then security and then tapping into the park you'd be cutting it pretty close. I'd want to be in earlier than that for a boarding group. Late by 1 minute and it's game over with the current process.

We were able to ride twice on our trip (3 attempts). My biggest problem with the current system is how crowded the park was at open. You could be at the other three parks at rope drop and would get a nice one or two hours in with lighter crowds. HS would be shoulder to shoulder with 1+ hour waits at all of the tier 1 attractions immediately at open. Our boarding group was also called right in the middle of our reservations for ogas/droid depot/savis so we were rushing between the 4. We would have preferred a FP or at least had more flexibility instead of a 2 hour window that we didn't know until day of. Maybe they could have some kind of combination of the two in the future. Keep some form of boarding groups for locals/those with shorter stays or staying off property as well as FP+ for those able to schedule 65+ days out. Boarding groups could just be in place instead of standby. Also maybe they could release a certain number of boarding groups every hour/few hours so somebody that comes into the park later in the day could still have a chance to get a boarding group.

Maybe they could have some kind of combination of the two in the future. Keep some form of boarding groups for locals/those with shorter stays or staying off property as well as FP+ for those able to schedule 65+ days out. Boarding groups could just be in place instead of standby. Also maybe they could release a certain number of boarding groups every hour/few hours so somebody that comes into the park later in the day could still have a chance to get a boarding group.

Having more release times won't reduce the number of people there early - those same people will still come to get as many tries as possible, especially since having more openings later in the day means that you have a smaller chance of getting a group that day because more people are competing for them. All that it would mean is that no one could leave the park because they're waiting around for the next set to drop and making things even more uncertain scheduling-wise. At least now you know at the start of the day a general idea of whether you have an "earlier" or "later" group number.

They can't do standard FPs because they can't guarantee the ride will be operational during any given time period. And because the FPs would all be taken up by those with the longest stays in Disney hotels, it would create a serious disadvantage for those who can't afford to stay on property, those who can only get enough time off work for a short trip, those with large families (because of hotel prices/occupancy limits), etc. So if you're going to favor those who can take a ton of time off work and pay a ton of money, why not just put the BGs for sale at that point, since it would have essentially the same effect?

They already don't have enough BGs / capacity available to provide to everyone who wants to ride, and some days they haven't even been able to accommodate everyone who was there at the park opening and attempting to get a BG - why would they *increase* the number of people able to compete for the same available capacity? They have a supply and demand issue currently, and until they significantly increase the supply, why would they intentionally increase the "demand" by providing more ways to attempt to get on the ride?

At least now they are using some method to limit the number of people making the attempt for BGs - requiring an early wakeup and arrival. It's not *easy* or particularly pleasant, but it's the only way that gives an equal chance to those on-site vs. off-site vs. local. If they make it easier to join the attempt (request from your computer ahead of time, release later in the day, etc.), then more people will be trying for the same number of spots, which just gives everyone a lower chance of success.

Or if they chose to dedicate some of the spots to FPs/pre-bookings based on hotels, then they will be making a choice to favor those spending more money. I appreciate that for this one ride, they are choosing to keep the playing field level for everyone. The on-site guests and especially those with long visits have the advantage on every other major ride in all four parks - I think it's fine to have just one ride break that pattern.

To everyone suggesting doing the virtual queue outside the park or having fastpass+, let me tell you about my day today. I am going to be in Paris the night of the 23rd & all day the 24th, the last day of the Louvre Leonardo da Vinci Exhibition. Tickets to the exhibition went on sale in September and sold out the entire 5 month run in a week. Close to 3 million tickets sold in a week with an online queue worldwide. I didn't know I would be going so I didn't get in the queue, 5 months before I went. I got a regular Louvre ticket like I always do. Yesterday, they announced they were going to keep the exhibition open 24 hours a day from the 21st to the planned close of 6 PM on the 24th. The online queue opened at noon Paris time, 3 AM PST. I got up, signed on and tried to get in the queue at 3:00 AM exactly. Timed out. Tried again. Timed out. Reloaded the site at 3:01.12. How do I know? That was the timestamp when I got in the queue. I because it was virtual, I couldn't go anywhere. There was a nice animation to show my movement through the queue that was barely perceptible. After 15 minutes it moved enough that I could estimate my time to get to the ticket screen. Another 2 hours 15 minutes. Think of this as the worst of both worlds. A virtual queue so you have no idea how long it will take or if you will even get in PLUS a standby queue because you can't leave. The only thing I didn't count on was that people would lose their connections/drop out/rage quit. I finally got through to the ticketing page at 5:14, so 2:13 total. Everything before midnight on the 23rd and everything from 6:30AM to 9 AM on the 24th was already gone. 57% of the capacity was gone if you were not in the queue in the first minute. I grabbed a 6 AM ticket because I will be coming from 2 hours further east and was happy about it because I got in. I know anyone who wasn't there in the first 5 or so minutes probably didn't.

If you go to fastpass+ now, this will be the 60+10 fastpass queue for months. If you let people join the queue from outside the park, this will be your virtual queue lottery for months.

For those who think Fastpasses would work better for RotR.
Today for Flight of Passage the wait time today at 2 in the afternoon is 220 minutes 😳😳 It opened May of 2017. Still very popular.
I know:
It is a very busy week at WDW
If staying at a Disney resort it’s possible to get a FP to FOP
During slow times you can sometimes get a FP the day of
But:
I don’t see the demand for ROTR dying down any YEAR soon
and as it’s been said many times before only people staying at Disney resorts on 7+ day visits will be able to book FP’s for ROTR
DDA689C1-8FD3-4BD7-9194-EDAA85F24FF8.png

For those who think Fastpasses would work better for RotR. The wait time today at 2 in the afternoon is 220 for Flight of Passage. It opened May of 2017. Still very popular.
I know:
It is a very busy week at WDW
If staying at a Disney resort it’s possible to get a FP to FOP
During slow times you can sometimes get a FP the day of
But:
I don’t see the demand for ROTR dying down any YEAR soon
and as it’s been said many times before only people staying at Disney resorts on 7+ day visits will be able to book FP’s for ROTR
View attachment 473978
Just to level set, I stayed onsite for 4 days, and was able to get a FP for FoP. So it does not require a stay of 7+ days.

Sayhello

Sorry, don't have time to read all of the posts on this thread so my apologies if this has already been mentioned... but I think you need to add another option to the poll:

"Keeping the current boarding pass system but LIMITING guests to experiencing the ride only once per 7 days."

The amount of people saying they are riding it 3 and 4 times a week is crazy. Meanwhile some only have 1 day / chance in the park and don't get a boarding pass at all due to the competition. If you limited it to one boarding pass per week for the foreseeable future, that would likely get rid of 50% of the crowds each morning vying for a Boarding Pass. And it would certainly level out the playing field. Problem solved.

Just to level set, I stayed onsite for 4 days, and was able to get a FP for FoP. So it does not require a stay of 7+ days.

Sayhello
Sorry if I wasn’t clear😊 I meant it would be 7+ days if or when ROTR went to FP

Sorry, don't have time to read all of the posts on this thread so my apologies if this has already been mentioned... but I think you need to add another option to the poll:

"Keeping the current boarding pass system but LIMITING guests to experiencing the ride only once per 7 days."

The amount of people saying they are riding it 3 and 4 times a week is crazy. Meanwhile some only have 1 day / chance in the park and don't get a boarding pass at all due to the competition. If you limited it to one boarding pass per week for the foreseeable future, that would likely get rid of 50% of the crowds each morning vying for a Boarding Pass. And it would certainly level out the playing field. Problem solved.
I honestly don't think 50% of people each morning are riding for a second or third time. The repeat rider percentage is way lower than that.
This proposition has come up on this thread before, Disney doesn't read these forums so if this point is important to you make sure to email them

Again, why should I be punished because I happen to live locally. I paid for my ticket to ride the attractions in there same as you did.

Also, if I ride, then I have some friends coming from out of town, why should we punished that I can'r ride with them because of this silly rule.

Again, why should I be punished because I happen to live locally. I paid for my ticket to ride the attractions in there same as you did.

Also, if I ride, then I have some friends coming from out of town, why should we punished that I can'r ride with them because of this silly rule.

How is making the playing field level "punishing" locals?

If every single guest got the opportunity to ride it once a week, no one (including you) would be "punished." It would be the very definition of fairness.

In fact, you'd have an advantage as a local - you'd get to ride it again next week, whereas guests who only get to Disney once every few years will have several years to wait to ride it again.

@yulilin3 , you may be right about the percentages, but I'm not so sure. Only Disney knows how many of those in the crowds are riding multiple days a week. That's a good idea about e-mailing. I just might do that. Or send a tweet or two...

If you live locally you'd still be able to ride once a week. If anyone is being punished it was be people who come rarely and stay for a week.

The thing about going fastpass/standby is that anyone who wants to ride, could ride. Everyone has a chance. You just have to decide you want to spend 3 hours in line. Which is better than the current system which depends on advance research, practice and a whole lot of luck. And the crowds in the park would be much more manageable without a crowd level 10 all arriving at rope drop. But until the ride reliability is better, they can’t do fastpasses, so the current system is the best of a bad situation, I think. Once they do get to FPs, if they release a good chunk of them on the day like they do with FOP it would be great too.

I don’t think limiting repeats would change anything. The proportion of repeat riders is likely statistically insignificant. But I do think people who ride 9x should probably be discreet about that fact to people who have not been able to get on at all.

that kinda is the current boarding pass method. Except you’re using your phone instead of lines at a machine.
There would probably be a 2 hour line at the FP machines!

As much as I preferred the paper FPs...you`re probably right. I remember how the FP machines for Radiator Springs Racers (at Disney`s California Adventure) would get mobbed in the morning. It was always the same dilemma: jump in the SB line, or the FP line?

I`m definitely hoping that Disney puts the ride on the FP system by sometime next year. I wouldn`t even consider visiting this year and taking my chances with the BG system. We`ll gladly wait for 2021 and a return (hopefully) to something resembling sanity.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think 50% of people each morning are riding for a second or third time. The repeat rider percentage is way lower than that.
This proposition has come up on this thread before, Disney doesn't read these forums so if this point is important to you make sure to email them

In reference to the bolded...no, that is simply incorrect. There have been many instances of things being corrected in the parks (sometimes in a week or two) because we complained about them in the forums, and it is well known that some Disney insiders read and even post on these forums.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter