Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Hope you had a Merry Christmas @roxymama !!! Looks like you had a little fun at least ;)

I really love the new shoes!! I will leave the naming up to the professionals.

The real winner of your Christmas, though, appears to be the NARWHAL socks!!! Awesome!!

Monday update: Sunday edition
(Because I seem to only do Monday updates now on days that are not Monday)

Part 1: stuff I did this week - running edition

(Stay tuned for part 2 year in review and part 3 New Years resolutions and goals)

Roxykiddo is having a play date at a buddy's house today (I'll be returning that favor tomorrow by being the play date host). So time to update the journal!

IMG_3126.JPG
Yo, frost fairies...can you plow my street? I'm starting Half training.

So every run this week has been on the good old Planet Fitness HGTV-adjacent fun-machine. As tempting as having icicle eyelashes and beards are...I couldn't talk myself into the -1 degree or 3 degree run outdoors. So this is my wonderland.
IMG_3120.JPG
It hasn't been too crowded but I imagine this will change starting tomorrow for at least a month. Wondering if I should put dibs up now. For non-Chicago folks that would be that art of putting a lawn chair or road cone or vaccumn or plastic Santa, etc. in your shoveled parking spot (or in my case; my dreadmill)
This may be my fave example of dibs.
IMG_3123.JPG

So how about that speed workout from earlier this week? I'm glad you asked.
I DID IT!
1 mi WU was totes easy. But I was a little worried about what a 7.0 or 7.1 mph would feel like on the treadmill. And I had to do 10x400 at that speed with 400 RI at 4.9mph. I think it was 8:34 vs 8:27 that my treadmill could do and my target was 8:30. So I started cautiously on the 8:34 and then flip flopped between the two options. And the first .25 miles went by quick! Turns out that thing about running faster means the interval is over faster is true. #math
Hard is still hard, so it's nice to do hard for a shorter duration.
My belly was full on bumping up against the front bar like I was gonna run through it, but I felt in control and good.
I think I got past the third one when I started thinking I was getting a tad thirsty so I bumped down to 4.0 just to speed walk and drink from my water then bumped it back up to my RI. I did the like every time after the 8th one. I remember the 6th interval seeming like it took a long time (I judge this by how I often I peak down at the distance). But weirdly the seventh I almost ran past the .25 miles cause it felt easy. The 9th and 10th ones I was definitely clock watching. But I never felt like my legs were gonna give out or anything and I appreciated my lil rests. The one hour shutdown is still super annoying. Having to restart is dumb and I lost track of my CD mile distance so I just ran to 1 hr 15 min total. I assume I hit my 6.75 miles cause my plan said 1:13:something.
Next week's speed workout should be interesting so I'll write about that below.
Did anyone read all of that? Was that mind numbing.
Here's a cute Kiddo pic with homemade bread hubby made to get your attention back.
IMG_3110.JPG

I bought hubby a bread maker for Christmas. So he can make me bread. So far he's made me two loafs so I'm signing him up for the great British bake off. We spent 2 hours searching three grocery stores for dry milk and NEVER AGAIN!!!! We bought the big bag and it'll last us through retirement.

So my easy 5 miles was almost harder than my speedwork...not physically but more mentally. Because at least with the intervals I've got a task but mentally it just felt like I ran 2 hours instead of less than one. Treadmills can do that. Maybe I do need to change my treadmill spot to change my scenery for my LR today? Or suck it up and run outside.
16 degrees is basically tropical here right?
IMG_3125.JPG

So plans for the upcoming week. Here we go!

Monday: OFF (bachelor starts...also football games and rose parade and something about a new year)
Tue 1/2: 4mi EA...back to work too :(
But good to get the routine back instead of so much couch lumping. (But I'll miss my sweet random naps!)
Wed 1/3: off
Thur 1/4: 2mi WU, 5x800 speed (ok...that's longer than 400 but less of them...I CAN DO IT!) 4x400 RI and 1 mi CD = 6 mi
Fri 1/5: off
Sat 1/6: 5 mi EB
Sun 1/7: 6mi LR
Hubby has some work stuff that weekend so I may employ the grandparent clause while I get my run in. I will bribe with food + cute kid.

Also I will be stalking marathon weekend updates and having FOMO
So much FOMO

Last edited:
Way to conquer the TM! I wish I had your will power, the longest I can last is 40 minutes and then I develop a feeling very akin to road rage (treadmill rage?). Hope this cold snap passes and we can all get back to doing long runs outside. :)

Way to conquer the TM! I wish I had your will power, the longest I can last is 40 minutes and then I develop a feeling very akin to road rage (treadmill rage?). Hope this cold snap passes and we can all get back to doing long runs outside. :)

My willpower thought process is generally "what's the point of stopping now if I already ran this much and I'm already here...oh god when will this commercial break be over...I need my Chip and Joanna to get me through the homestretch".
Is that willpower? Fixer-upper-power?

All those treadmills ... it's mezmerizing. (And I'd say yes, go for the dibs. When the New Years Resolution people show up, it's going to be hard to get a treadmill.)

My treadmill at home does the 1-hour shutdown. With mine it's because the motor can't handle anything longer than an hour, but ... it's still annoying. I hate it. So I feel your pain.

I think intervals really help because it breaks it up mentally - you're not just going and going, there's an end in sight. That's how it is for me, at least. You just need to find a way to distract your brain from the length of the run sometimes (which is easier said than done).

Also ... I was very surprised that I didn't see anyone out in shorts this morning. It was only -2 windchill ... where were all the shorts?

Icicle eyelashes for the win

Maybe he's born with it...maybe it's just stupid cold outside!

All those treadmills ... it's mezmerizing. (And I'd say yes, go for the dibs. When the New Years Resolution people show up, it's going to be hard to get a treadmill.)

My treadmill at home does the 1-hour shutdown. With mine it's because the motor can't handle anything longer than an hour, but ... it's still annoying. I hate it. So I feel your pain.

I think intervals really help because it breaks it up mentally - you're not just going and going, there's an end in sight. That's how it is for me, at least. You just need to find a way to distract your brain from the length of the run sometimes (which is easier said than done).

Also ... I was very surprised that I didn't see anyone out in shorts this morning. It was only -2 windchill ... where were all the shorts?

I love same paced outside because of the feeling of forward progress. I feel like there should be a ref sitting by my treadmill with a mic announcing "there was no forward progress" when I'm at the gym.
I'd still love a home treadmill...we are just having a hard time finding one with a short enough lift so my hubby's head doesn't smash through our ceiling. #tallguyproblems

Monday update: Monday edition
Part 2: 2017 year in review

2015 was "I think I'll try to be a runner...ok I think I'm a runner now...but everything over 3 miles is scary..but I'm going to run every 5k I can find"

2016 was "I want to be a runner who runs farther, I want a real training schedule and I'm not sure how this is gonna go but I'll give it a try and baby step my way up in distance all year."
It was my first year on Team Badger (is that what we call it @DopeyBadger ? Team Billy? Blaser's Badgers?) And everything was a PR because everything was new. And I really surprised myself a lot that year.

2017 I think was going to be quality over quantity. I'd have less races but more time training and a few big A goals. I'd started stepping outside my comfort zones and taking chances.
The beginning of 2017 I had one major focus...that I'd signed up for a half marathon and it was time to train for it! I still can't believe that two years ago I'd never ran farther than 4 miles. That's crazy to think about now. So when I crossed the finish of the Tinkerbell Half Marathon feeling pretty great...I just still can't describe that feeling properly in words. Thank you to everyone who persuaded me to get up the nerve to sign up for that race...it really was one of the best decisions I've made :)
I have to say that training for a half (times 2) really improved my overall fitness and helped all of my other shorter distances as well. So when I had other A/B goals to PR by a little bit, I never expected by how much I'd actually improve. I also spent a large chunk of the year running 4 days a week (which just always seemed impossible a few years ago.)
The beginning of 2017 I was willing to take the chances but was still mentally very cautious about what I wanted for the outcomes. I think running the Milwaukee 10k with Coach Billy was kind of a spark that lit a confidence booster in me about what I really could be capable of. I'm trying not to say thank you a thousand times so just scroll to the end for my gushfest.

I didn't realize how many PRs I actually got this year until last night so here goes.

Race PRs 2017
1 mile - 8:53 (and that was a "fun run" speed :)
5k - 27:37 during my 10k (previous 27:49. My first 5k in 2015 was 42:00)
8k - 46:08 (previous 50:02)
10k - 52:49, adjusted to 55+ due to short course (previous was 1:05:31!)
15k - 1:31:22 (previous was 1:33:06)
13.1 - 2:27:15 (without character stops was 2:16)
And for fun. Rundisney 5k PR -
2016 was 38:09 with 2 characters
2017 was 30:14 with 5 characters

IMG_9290.JPG

IMG_9627.JPG

IMG_9863.JPG

IMG_9910.JPG

IMG_9937.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

And now for the gushfest

Thank you to everyone who cheered for me virtually or in person. Also for anyone who kicked my butt to go run. Or told me they thought I had it in me to do something. Or told me that it was ok when I felt like I failed.

Thank you for everyone who I met with this year. Especially those who hung out with me pre-races!!!

Thanks Coach Billy for guiding my journey and working so hard on helping so many of us. I know I physically have to do the work, but you believing I can hit certain paces or distances, etc makes me believe I can do it too. And coming out to run with me was just the nicest thing! I've already told you that but too bad...you get to hear it again :)

Thanks to my hubby and daughter who have accepted that moms going for a run again and who keep me motivated and encourage my grand plans. (Also hubby kicked a lot of booty this year and kiddo WON a race so that's not too shabby!)

Thank you all who read this journal most of all. I haven't ran a race since starting that I don't think about you all during it and 98.97% of pushing myself is usually so I can come back here and let you know I tried my best :)

Life is hard....running is fun...even when it's hard. Cheers to 2018 :)

Last edited:

2015 was "I think I'll try to be a runner...ok I think I'm a runner now...but everything over 3 miles is scary..but I'm going to run every 5k I can find"

2016 was "I want to be a runner who runs farther, I want a real training schedule and I'm not sure how this is gonna go but I'll give it a try and baby step my way up in distance all year."
It was my first year on Team Badger (is that what we call it @DopeyBadger ? Team Billy? Blaser's Badgers?) And everything was a PR because everything was new. And I really surprised myself a lot that year.

2017 I think was going to be quality over quantity. I'd have less races but more time training and a few big A goals. I'd started stepping outside my comfort zones and taking chances.
The beginning of 2017 I had one major focus...that I'd signed up for a half marathon and it was time to train for it! I still can't believe that two years ago I'd never ran farther than 4 miles. That's crazy to think about now. So when I crossed the finish of the Tinkerbell Half Marathon feeling pretty great...I just still can't describe that feeling properly in words. Thank you to everyone who persuaded me to get up the nerve to sign up for that race...it really was one of the best decisions I've made :)
I have to say that training for a half (times 2) really improved my overall fitness and helped all of my other shorter distances as well. So when I had other A/B goals to PR by a little bit, I never expected by how much I'd actually improve. I also spent a large chunk of the year running 4 days a week (which just always seemed impossible a few years ago.)
The beginning of 2017 I was willing to take the chances but was still mentally very cautious about what I wanted for the outcomes. I think running the Milwaukee 10k with Coach Billy was kind of a spark that lit a confidence booster in me about what I really could be capable of. I'm trying not to say thank you a thousand times so just scroll to the end for my gushfest.

I didn't realize how many PRs I actually got this year until last night so here goes.

Race PRs 2017

View attachment 291431

View attachment 291432

View attachment 291434

View attachment 291436

View attachment 291444

View attachment 291439

View attachment 291440

View attachment 291441

View attachment 291442

View attachment 291443

And now for the gushfest

Thank you to everyone who cheered for me virtually or in person. Also for anyone who kicked my butt to go run. Or told me they thought I had it in me to do something. Or told me that it was ok when I felt like I failed.

Thank you for everyone who I met with this year. Especially those who hung out with me pre-races!!!

Thanks Coach Billy for guiding my journey and working so hard on helping so many of us. I know I physically have to do the work, but you believing I can hit certain paces or distances, etc makes me believe I can do it too. And coming out to run with me was just the nicest thing! I've already told you that but too bad...you get to hear it again :)

Thanks to my hubby and daughter who have accepted that moms going for a run again and who keep me motivated and encourage my grand plans. (Also hubby kicked a lot of booty this year and kiddo WON a race so that's not too shabby!)

Thank you all who read this journal most of all. I haven't ran a race since starting that I don't think about you all during it and 98.97% of pushing myself is usually so I can come back here and let you know I tried my best :)

You've had an amazing, kicka** year!! It's been so fun and inpsiring to follow along!

Race PRs 2017

View attachment 291431

View attachment 291432

View attachment 291434

View attachment 291436

View attachment 291444

View attachment 291439

View attachment 291440

View attachment 291441

View attachment 291442

View attachment 291443

And now for the gushfest

Congratulations on a seriously GREAT year of running, @roxymama !!!! It has been so fun to follow along- as cheesy as it sounds, you’re inspiring! :)
Cheers to 2018 being the best running year ever!

Look at all those PRs! And all those awesome pictures! (I think the Tink castle picture is my all-time favorite, but they're all great).

You have done so much this year, overcome doubts and difficulties, and really proven how amazing you are! It's been great to follow along and see you accomplish these goals, and I can't wait to see what 2018 brings for you (future marathoner!).

Monday update: Monday afternoon version
Part 3: 2018 plans/goals/hopes

So it's not going to be any surprise to anyone here what my main goal will be for 2018. Much like last year when I decided in the fall to register for Tink Half for the following year and so already had an A goal locked in...this year I registered for the Chicago Marathon and it's my #1 thing to accomplish this new year. But it's kind of more than that. It may be the #1 running goal to accomplish ever. I grew up watching the marathon on tv or out windows or both and it seemed like something really really really good athletic running people did. I never thought of it in the same frame as a 5k (which in my head I could see myself doing one day) it seemed to me like the olympics...something I had great admiration for but couldn't really picture myself there unless in a daydream.
And I'm going to do it. It may be really hard and terrible, or really hard and great, or really hard and fun, or really hard and I just get through it. Or maybe all of the above. But I think everything I do this year is going to point me towards that finish line in October. So that's where my goals below stem from. I still have an idea in my head of what a female runner my age is "like" and it's stupid because I know we all are experiments of one and all so different, but for some reason the epitome of runner is someone who goes and does Chicago. I want to go and do Chicago!!

2018 Plan
1) 5 days a week running - starting off mid-Jan when my half training starts. This is new and I'll need to try some new things like morning runs, etc, and perhaps that at home treadmill if we can figure out how to get one to fit both our tall heads.
2) Half training from Jan to 4/22/18 Naperville Women's HM. PR attempt.
3) Run a Jan 5k (soon!) and the Shamrock Shuffle 8k 3/25/18 with the hopes that I can attack them a bit harder this year and see what happens. I'd love 26+ 5k time whether that happens this year or in the future. But I'd like to start line a race thinking I possibly could try. I honestly don't know about this Jan being the time...but I got a whole lot of training coming up :)
4) A GOAL! Chicago marathon. Complete it. Be the best me when that time comes. I want to be more mindful of my nutrition/calories. I'm downloading the LoseIt app so I can just start seeing in real numbers what I'm putting in my mouth. I'd like to not carry the extra 10+ lbs with me for 26.2 miles and we'll see how it goes. HONESTY TIME. I'm at 162 lbs this morning. I was at 149 lbs end of 2016. So my body has gotten used to me running + I've gotten used to treating myself. I'd like those who see me in Chicago to think "DANG! Where'd roxymama go?" Haha .
I want to enjoy every second of my race...even if not every second should be enjoyable. I want to be as prepared as possible. I'm excited. I got this!
5) I'd like a bike. I'd like to try being more confident on a bike. I don't know if this is my year for a Tri, but this can be my year to Try. Get it, see what I did there. I'm going to keep up with swimming every now and again and taking some rides. We'll see where it goes from there. But I think #4 trumps everything else right now.

Finally...I'm going to raise $1500 for Girls on the Run...but I'm also going to get involved! I'm SO EXCITED about that!
I'm blown away by the support already but have some ideas cooking for fundraising (super bowl squares was an awesome roxyhubby idea yesterday for his work/mine/family with the knowledge that a few dollars would go towards the charity.) I may also have to auction my loyalties off for the Big 10k or for one of my other races. I'd be willing to wear enemy regalia for a good cause.
AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALL THE DIS PEEPS IN OCTOBER!!!! I'll be thinking hard about meetups once we start getting a little closer.

I'm sure I can think of more, but I like what I have so far. This year I'm going to be open to trying and not be as afraid of failing. And I'm going to keep trying to make myself a better version of me. And I'll find kiddo another piggy race as she calls them :)

You've had an amazing, kicka** year!! It's been so fun and inpsiring to follow along!

Thanks! It was pretty amazing and y'all inspire me to keep going so much too!!

Congratulations on a seriously GREAT year of running, @roxymama !!!! It has been so fun to follow along- as cheesy as it sounds, you’re inspiring! :)
Cheers to 2018 being the best running year ever!

I like cheesy! And thank you for saying that. I'll repeat...you all inspire me so much too!
I LOVE that photo recap! A year of races :cheer2:

I didn't think I ran that many but looks like I did :) Races are addictive :)

:worship::worship::worship:

Congrats on a bad@$$ year (and looking completely fabulous through it all) ;)

Awww, thanks. Sweaty is my aesthetic now!

Look at all those PRs! And all those awesome pictures! (I think the Tink castle picture is my all-time favorite, but they're all great).

You have done so much this year, overcome doubts and difficulties, and really proven how amazing you are! It's been great to follow along and see you accomplish these goals, and I can't wait to see what 2018 brings for you (future marathoner!).

I think the castle pic may be my fave too. I was giddy and in the middle of a full on runner's high at that moment.
You've had a pretty smashing year yourself. Bring on 2018!

Re: morning workouts. Can definitely be a tough adjustment (first few weeks are tough) but I like it SO much better than working out after work. Nice to just get it done, helps wake you up a bit, and then the best part - you get to go home and just SIT in the evening. :yay:

You will crush this marathon. ::yes::

AF0394FA-14E6-4276-BB40-376B6BE84C5E.jpeg

Happy new year roxymama! Loved reading your year in review, and congratulations on your 2017!!!
Your running, your journal, your humor - it all inspires me, and I'm happy to be along for your 2018 journey to the marathon (which you will crush). :-)

Re: morning workouts. Can definitely be a tough adjustment (first few weeks are tough) but I like it SO much better than working out after work. Nice to just get it done, helps wake you up a bit, and then the best part - you get to go home and just SIT in the evening. :yay:

You will crush this marathon. ::yes::

View attachment 291533

I love that movie!!! I love that quote!!!

Congrats on an amazing year of running, you have so much to be proud of. Looking forward to watching you crush your 2018 goals!!

I wanted you to be with me at Chicago, so maybe I'll need to add a flat michigandergirl somewhere on me for the race?

Happy new year roxymama! Loved reading your year in review, and congratulations on your 2017!!!
Your running, your journal, your humor - it all inspires me, and I'm happy to be along for your 2018 journey to the marathon (which you will crush). :-)

I'll take this as permission to try to be funny even more in the new year...intentionally or not!

Ummmm you missed a goal right @FFigawi ?

What a great year you had and it was great meeting you and being at one of those big 2017 moments!

Goal #6...keep em guessing.
Goal #7...drink every time anyone says Dopey
Goal #8...ok maybe not every time, that could turn into the 8th dwarf, Sloppy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter