Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

SO proud of you and everything you've accomplished this year. Excited to have been along for the journey and I know you're only at the tip of the iceberg. So much more growth to come! Cheers to an exciting 2018!

Love love love your pictorial year recap!!

Your progress has been amazing. I’m so happy to have watched your journey and getting to meet you at Tink weekend was a highlight of the year. You are going to kill your first marathon and I can’t wait to see you again in Chicago!! Congratulations on an incredible 2017.

SO proud of you and everything you've accomplished this year. Excited to have been along for the journey and I know you're only at the tip of the iceberg. So much more growth to come! Cheers to an exciting 2018!

Thanks man!
Looking forward to Woo-hoo-ing for you around my mile 15ish in October.

Love love love your pictorial year recap!!

Your progress has been amazing. I’m so happy to have watched your journey and getting to meet you at Tink weekend was a highlight of the year. You are going to kill your first marathon and I can’t wait to see you again in Chicago!! Congratulations on an incredible 2017.

Party in Chicago!!! Perhaps a pre-limping around and a post-limping around meetup :)

What a great year you had and 2018 looks even bigger! I love that you are considering a tri but you are right...Chicago 26.2 is the real goal. So exciting!

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! Can't wait to hear where you go next!

Thanks!

What a great year you had and 2018 looks even bigger! I love that you are considering a tri but you are right...Chicago 26.2 is the real goal. So exciting!

I think I'll work on being a bit more comfy on the non-run disciplines and maybe we'll attack real sprint training for '19. Also that thing about needing a bike.
Roxyhubby is doing two Olympics this year including Chicago. So we both have our own version of "Chicago" to conquer.

LOVED your recap! So much to be proud of, and thank you for chronicling it here for us. Can't wait to see what you'll do in 2018!

Go roxymama, goooo! You had an amazing year, I am sure only to be trumped by an even more amazing one. Can't wait to see you crush your goals and then we can celebrate at Dopey next year. ;) (#takeadrink)

LOVED your recap! So much to be proud of, and thank you for chronicling it here for us. Can't wait to see what you'll do in 2018!

Me too!!

Go roxymama, goooo! You had an amazing year, I am sure only to be trumped by an even more amazing one. Can't wait to see you crush your goals and then we can celebrate at Dopey next year. ;) (#takeadrink)

Chugs water at desk.

Midweek update:

So on Jan 1st I had a bit of a cookie and chocolate and Diet Coke and coffee bender.
IMG_3130.JPG
(You'd say "that's nothing" but this was like the amuse bouche of the snacking)

And then 1/2 I started using a calorie counter on my phone.
IMG_3129.PNG

I have it set up for about a lb a week but if that isn't feeling right I can back off. Or adjust. Says I should be st my goal weight (which is 145 lbs) by late May. Just in time to start official marathon training. You can see it lets me input running.
I guess I'm writing about this here for two reasons (since this isn't a weight loss journal and I don't really intend for it to be)

1) dieting has led me down obsessive and not healthy paths before. I think I'm mature enough and happy enough with my current self to not fall down that path again. So I'm counting more to understand what is going in to help me continue to improve my food choices and not as a means to stop eating enough. I hope that makes sense. And my goal is a better me so I can run better. Lose only some weight to run better...not lose all the weight and become exhausted/lifeless.

2) if I write it down that I want to do this. And I slip in a comment or two every Monday. Then I'll keep it up instead of tossing this to the wayside in a week or so. Accountability!

Also I'm not a slave to this and I will eat all inclusively on my Mexico vacation in Feb..but also there will be more incentive to use that sweet resort gym :)

PS today I only used one creamer in my coffee and I survived.

So on Jan 1st I had a bit of a cookie and chocolate and Diet Coke and coffee bender.
Yum. This was me basically every day in December.
Which leads me to...

I have it set up for about a lb a week but if that isn't feeling right I can back off. Or adjust. Says I should be st my goal weight (which is 145 lbs) by late May. Just in time to start official marathon training. You can see it lets me input running.
I guess I'm writing about this here for two reasons (since this isn't a weight loss journal and I don't really intend for it to be)

I am in a very similar situation. I am hoping to drop 8lbs gained this year (how did that happen? I actually want to blame running?) and even better if it's 10-15lbs. Let's be accountability buddies.

1) dieting has led me down obsessive and not healthy paths before. I think I'm mature enough and happy enough with my current self to not fall down that path again. So I'm counting more to understand what is going in to help me continue to improve my food choices and not as a means to stop eating enough. I hope that makes sense. And my goal is a better me so I can run better. Lose only some weight to run better...not lose all the weight and become exhausted/lifeless.

Ditto.

Also I'm not a slave to this and I will eat all inclusively on my Mexico vacation in Feb..but also there will be more incentive to use that sweet resort gym :)

Ahh! Fun! We are planning a beach vacation for April to celebrate 5 years. #motivation

PS today I only used one creamer in my coffee and I survived.
Go girl!!
(I am not saying you should do this, but I actually switched to black coffee in the morning several years ago and it was a game changer.)

PS. Could you please teach me how to eat a bagel with no schmear of any type?

Yum. This was me basically every day in December.
Which leads me to...

I am in a very similar situation. I am hoping to drop 8lbs gained this year (how did that happen? I actually want to blame running?) and even better if it's 10-15lbs. Let's be accountability buddies.

Ditto.

Ahh! Fun! We are planning a beach vacation for April to celebrate 5 years. #motivation

Go girl!!
(I am not saying you should do this, but I actually switched to black coffee in the morning several years ago and it was a game changer.)

PS. Could you please teach me how to eat a bagel with no schmear of any type?

Ok, Yay, I like when I'm not the only one in the same boat (hence why I like it here.)
The completely plain bagel is a function of it being too annoying to bring schmear to work. So I just bring a plain one from home, toaster it up here and eat it dry. It's kinda sad, but I guess healthier in the long run?

The Mexico trip is hubby & my first "just us" trip since we had our kiddo (leaving out single overnight city stays for Chicago races.) Roxyhubby is the best man at a destination wedding. I'm super excited about it! Never done anything south of the border (or caribbean either) and never done an all inclusive resort.
Also 2018 is 10 YEARS for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Yay, I like when I'm not the only one in the same boat (hence why I like it here.)
The completely plain bagel is a function of it being too annoying to bring schmear to work. So I just bring a plain one from home, toaster it up here and eat it dry. It's kinda sad, but I guess healthier in the long run?

The Mexico trip is hubby & my first "just us" trip since we had our kiddo (leaving out single overnight city stays for Chicago races.) Roxyhubby is the best man at a destination wedding. I'm super excited about it! Never done anything south of the border (or caribbean either) and never done an all inclusive resort.
Also 2018 is 10 YEARS for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are in the same boat on this. Speaking of same boats, I am also in the "Marathon Weekend FOMO Boat." If you're the captain, I'm your first mate. I am obsessively lurking.

No comment on the bagel, but I'll assume it doesn't have raisins.

Your trip sounds so fun- you will love the all inclusive!! You guys totally deserve a getaway! I have fond memories as a kid of staying with family when my parents (rarely) vacationed by themselves- so I'm sure roxyprincess (I've upgraded her title) will have fun wherever she goes too!

We are in the same boat on this. Speaking of same boats, I am also in the "Marathon Weekend FOMO Boat." If you're the captain, I'm your first mate. I am obsessively lurking.

No comment on the bagel, but I'll assume it doesn't have raisins.

Your trip sounds so fun- you will love the all inclusive!! You guys totally deserve a getaway! I have fond memories as a kid of staying with family when my parents (rarely) vacationed by themselves- so I'm sure roxyprincess (I've upgraded her title) will have fun wherever she goes too!

Yeah, no raisins! Hahaha
Roxykiddo likes plain and I basically steal her bagels and have to replenish them. That's how it works right.
Sorry, I mean, roxyprincess. Though she may ask to be roxypopstar depending on the day.

Switched from cream to black coffee years ago and I love it. Really lets you appreciate the flavour

I really need to woman up and do the same thing. I realize I'm drinking the Miller Lite version of coffee with all the milk and sugar and sprinkles. :)

Edit to add that I did buy this at the container store though so I mean I may have to still use it a lil bit
IMG_3135.JPG

Last edited:
I totally get what you're saying about dieting taking you down a bad path - good on you for realizing that you need to do this right and not take eating better and being healthier to a bad place.

Also, re: coffee - I do a splash of nonfat milk (which is the only milk I drink in general, but that's because I grew up on nonfat milk)(also, more than a splash in iced coffee) but no sugar. To me, the key to cutting out sugar was making sure I was drinking good coffee. Once I got used to good coffee with no sugar, I was able to tolerate some not-so-good coffees without sugar.

I want to lose 8lbs before serious Chicago training starts. Holidays were not good to me this year. My diet starts after Disney though. We have a good celebratory and birthday dinner planned for Monday.

I totally get what you're saying about dieting taking you down a bad path - good on you for realizing that you need to do this right and not take eating better and being healthier to a bad place.

Also, re: coffee - I do a splash of nonfat milk (which is the only milk I drink in general, but that's because I grew up on nonfat milk)(also, more than a splash in iced coffee) but no sugar. To me, the key to cutting out sugar was making sure I was drinking good coffee. Once I got used to good coffee with no sugar, I was able to tolerate some not-so-good coffees without sugar.

Opinion on "good coffee" so I can research this method. For science?

I want to lose 8lbs before serious Chicago training starts. Holidays were not good to me this year. My diet starts after Disney though. We have a good celebratory and birthday dinner planned for Monday.

Good idea....Disney is a diet free zone!!!! Where are you feasting on Monday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter