Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that masks and kids are all about expectations. In our home when they said to start wearing masks, we pulled out the fabric and the kids and I spent a day picking out fabric and making masks. Cute and fun ones. They go everywhere with us, and the girls (not my son lol!) will rotate them to match their outfits! It has been NOT a big deal in our house, it was presented as "this is how we can help others." and they went with it. We have slowly built-up their tolerance to wearing it for longer periods of time and they are good. Probably better than me, and I am a nurse! HA! We live in the south, and it has been hot here too- not summer hot, but 90 degree hot and they roll with it. Even my asthmatic does fine. I asked if they would wear a mask at Disney and they all were like "well duh, of course!"
I keep reading that kids do great with masks because they adapt so well...I had to take my 7 year old to the doctor today and we had to wear masks. It was our first time. (I found myself touching mine constantly as it slipped down every few minutes.) When we were done I wanted to run into target. He didn’t even want to go in because he thought he had to put it back on. He loves looking at toys in target and he hasn’t been out of the house in two months.

My guess is that we’ll potentially see a few persistent rule breakers politely asked to leave Disney’s private property after a equally polite warning or two. This is a public health emergency. If you think that wearing a mask in Florida will kill you, don’t come to Disney until they have a vaccine. Otherwise, you are potentially putting your “right” to a good time ahead of the health of every cast member on property, to say nothing of the health of the other guests. If you think that Disney is incapable of enforcing safety rules, I suggest you think about how often people are allowed to skip bag checks—that would be never, by the way. Disney cannot afford (because of the union, public perception, their bottom line, potential lawsuits, etc.) to be the center of an outbreak. I think they’ll be willing to alienate a small percentage of their customers to avoid bigger problems.
Well I definitely will not break the rules (I am waiting on the exact guidelines released by Disney re: mask before I cancel my July trip and before I pay off the $3500 my package costs), I really doubt we will see CM's following people around to see if they are wearing masks. They may double check that you are wearing a mask during security check, and most likely in lines for rides and transportation (I can definitely see that), but not really while just walking around outdoors in the park. I heard on another blog that at Universal, only managers were allowed to confront guests. I could see the same happening at WDW.

Also, wanted to add I also rode out Irma (while pregnant nonetheless) at Pop. Howdy neighbor, fun times!

Well I definitely will not break the rules (I am waiting on the exact guidelines released by Disney re: mask before I cancel my July trip and before I pay off the $3500 my package costs), I really doubt we will see CM's following people around to see if they are wearing masks. They may double check that you are wearing a mask during security check, and most likely in lines for rides and transportation (I can definitely see that), but not really while just walking around outdoors in the park. I heard on another blog that at Universal, only managers were allowed to confront guests. I could see the same happening at WDW.

Also, wanted to add I also rode out Irma (while pregnant nonetheless) at Pop. Howdy neighbor, fun times!
A lot of small businesses around me are refusing to let you in their store without a mask. A few are even requiring appointments, and specifying that you need to be from the area to get in. No matter what else Disney does, I don’t see them letting anyone take a mask off inside unless it’s a restaurant, and people are eating.

Howdy! Irma was...interesting. I think half the state evacuated, and a lot wound up at Disney. At least the food was plentiful and delicious! The turkey sandwich at Pop was to die for!

A lot of small businesses around me are refusing to let you in their store without a mask. A few are even requiring appointments, and specifying that you need to be from the area to get in. No matter what else Disney does, I don’t see them letting anyone take a mask off inside unless it’s a restaurant, and people are eating.

Howdy! Irma was...interesting. I think half the state evacuated, and a lot wound up at Disney. At least the food was plentiful and delicious! The turkey sandwich at Pop was to die for!
Don't get me wrong, I think they will be more strict indoors (they should). I was just stating that outdoors, I don't foresee strict enforcement. My husband's store is so busy (take out and delivery only still), that they can't really "check" people at the door. LA really likes their delivery haha!

Pop after the southern Florida folks left, was unreal. So many random pets too! The rooms really got trashed, and didn't get cleaned for days, but the resort was dead! Still so awesome we never lost power.. the lights flickered once and the eye traveled right over us! My relatives in Gainesville lost power for days.

My guess is that we’ll potentially see a few persistent rule breakers politely asked to leave Disney’s private property after a equally polite warning or two. This is a public health emergency. If you think that wearing a mask in Florida will kill you, don’t come to Disney until they have a vaccine. Otherwise, you are potentially putting your “right” to a good time ahead of the health of every cast member on property, to say nothing of the health of the other guests. If you think that Disney is incapable of enforcing safety rules, I suggest you think about how often people are allowed to skip bag checks—that would be never, by the way. Disney cannot afford (because of the union, public perception, their bottom line, potential lawsuits, etc.) to be the center of an outbreak. I think they’ll be willing to alienate a small percentage of their customers to avoid bigger problems.
It’s not the small percentage security will catch at park entry that we wonder about. You can’t skip bag check because there is too much security. Once you hit the park you can run between rides and you’ll most likely be fine- even though it’s against the rules. Or smoke. Or vape. 😂

However, once the afternoon heat kicks in or a rainstorm hits it gives us pause to wonder about enforcement. When the majority is no longer wearing masks, what do you do? Imho, they pick between Airlines policy (remind them to wear masks but don’t force it) and Universal’s rumored policy (managers can ask guests to put a mask on, rank and file cannot).

I really believe most people who think they and their families will be fine for days on end do not have a clue what they’re in for. (Except for those that live in FL and work outside.)

I was assuming "masks are mandatory" meant everywhere, but you are right: we don't know that yet. Has anyone seen the actual agreement?

With the wording of the "release," it could be that Disney is actually being reasonable and requiring them only where most experts seem to say they might be minimally effective: in enclosed areas where social distancing is not possible. That is doable. After looking at the release about the union and realizing that "mandatory" cannot possibly mean everywhere at all times, since people have to eat and drink in restaurants, swim in pools, etc., this could be a more reasonable plan than many have interpreted.

If masks are only mandatory for transportation, indoor queues and rides, and shops, this is possible. That way, if kids are required to wear them and become very uncomfortable and panicked from wearing them, the kids (and adults) can easily be removed to an area where they can take a break from the mask.

I might even consider just visiting a resort and taking my daughter to the pool and eating in various restaurants- if masks are only required in shops and in lobbies. But walking around AoA with a mask where no one is in sight, then having to sit in a mask as I sit in a lounge chair at the pool- that would be ridiculous.

Nothing has said for certain that Disney is going to require masks, and I still don't think they will or even should. Even Chapek said only probably and that was a few weeks ago, things are changing fast. by the time they open, masks will be fading, they will be allowed but not required. Disney doesn't want to open requiring masks and that probably is the biggest hold up in setting an opening date. They are waiting till the CDC and the general public come to terms with wearing a face covering is negligible at best for all parties.

Nothing has said for certain that Disney is going to require masks, and I still don't think they will or even should. Even Chapek said only probably and that was a few weeks ago, things are changing fast. by the time they open, masks will be fading, they will be allowed but not required. Disney doesn't want to open requiring masks and that probably is the biggest hold up in setting an opening date. They are waiting till the CDC and the general public come to terms with wearing a face covering is negligible at best for all parties.

Weeks ago? Pretty sure Chapek said that this week.

The Service Trades Council Union said the deal they worked out with Disney provides for mandatory masks for both employees and guests. Seems a good indication masks will be required.

I also have a 7 year old, and I have no idea how she would respond. We won't know until we get there. Kids can be very unpredictable. It would really be no fun if she decided after half an hour in the park that she was not going to wear the mask. She might be fine, but she might decide that she is having none of it. I made her a couple of masks with the thinnest, sheerest material I could find, and she thought they were so cute. Wore them for about 45 seconds. Thought it was fun to take them on and off, on and off.
Yup! They are fun to take off and on. And turn inside out. And they itch and they tickle. It's a lot like princess dresses. Honestly though, living in a masks-required county, my 3 year old has been fine. There's some fiddling and playing, and after a little while it's just another piece of clothing. I had my mask around my neck today, and he said to me "Mom, your mask fell off! Put it back!"

If they are required when we go next - we'll wear masks. I'll probably bring all the different varieties we have, so that nothing rubs/itches/tickles in the same place all the time. We'll slow down a little bit. We'll probably buy more cold drinks. I'll bring a drape for the stroller, so the toddler can rest in a little cocoon when he needs a break.

If I didn't think the fun of a theme park would be enough incentive for my kid to follow the rules, I'd probably stay home, though!

I just saw the following on ‘the dibb’ a UK Disney forum. The booking was made through U.K. WDC and other posters confirmed the same news.
‘Phoned today to pay outstanding £8k for YABC hotel + park tickets + DDP (free) for 11th July in the full expectation that it would be cancelled in due course but not wanting to lose £200 deposit.

The lovely lady on the telephone told me that they could only accept a re-booking for next year or give me a full refund. Obviously there is no advantage to rebooking so we just took back the money. She said she had just received an update so I guess the full refund date has been moved beyond 11th July.’

Yes I know about the union deal, easily negotiable prior to opening a month or so from now

Um, no they're not. If they've already come to the table and negotiated these terms, it would literally make no sense (and would have been a huge waste of time) to make an official announcement about the terms and then, when it's time to open in the next month or so, to nix the details of the agreement.

Hope springs eternal and all but masks are required. I'd suggest delaying a visit until the requirements for attendance meets your preferences (and there's nothing wrong with that).

The Florida task force suggested masks for both business and customer
Orange county has an executive order that masks are required
Universal citywalk opened with masks required
The union came to an agreement with Disney in favor of using masks
Disney will, most likely, open with masks required for all

The real question is for how long they will have that guideline. The union is fierce about its members, they have negotiated very well in their favor, they won't change their mind that quickly

The Florida task force suggested masks for both business and customer
Orange county has an executive order that masks are required
Universal citywalk opened with masks required
The union came to an agreement with Disney in favor of using masks
Disney will, most likely, open with masks required for all

The real question is for how long they will have that guideline. The union is fierce about its members, they have negotiated very well in their favor, they won't change their mind that quickly

We don’t know the language of the agreement. Perhaps masks will be required as long as it’s recommended by local and state guidelines. There has to be an eventual end to them.

We don’t know the language of the agreement. Perhaps masks will be required as long as it’s recommended by local and state guidelines. There has to be an eventual end to them.
We do know the language from the union, its on their Twitter feed, same letter they sent to cm
And we know OC is being stricter in mask use than other countries in Florida due to the executive order by the mayor
And that's why i said we don't know for how long it'll be implemented, it won't be forever but they will most likely open with mandatory masks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter