Say no to Alamo

nuthut

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Yes, say no to Alamo, the offical rip off car company of WDW. Having rented more than 100 times for business and pleasure, I have never encountered a worse location than the MCO Alamo location. Never again will I rent from Alamo.......

What's the set up with Alamo at MCO?

That's one thing I have noticed in my travels (going anywhere). The majority of us (me included) search around for the cheapest car rental.
The cheapest car rental places also have the longest lines! ;) This has proved to be consistent whenever I have traveled and rented a car.
National with EA may not always been the cheapest. But they sure save us a lot of time and frustration.

I would rather spend more than rent from Alamo. I rented from them once a couple of years ago and the car was a piece of crap and not properly maintained. The $$ savings just was not worth the shlep to the location, the wait and the frustration of not having a properly maintained car.

I agree, and my experience is from many, many years ago, but I said never again, unless it was a necessity. It was awful trying to get on their shuttle, we were 2 families traveling, and it was so bad, that half of us got rushed onto the shuttle, it pulled away before the rest of us could get close and we were separated...not a biggie, we all ended up at the same place, but I thought it not necessary to be juggling people about with small children mind you in that manner. They were rude at their rental counter and overall, I just didn't care for them, quite pushy too, that always turns me off...what part of no thank you don't they understand when trying to upsell insurance, size car etc????

I'm a believer in Dollar. I've not encountered a problem with them....yet....and I use them not only in Florida but on trips to the west coast. I have a story that is too long to go into on our last trip out west and renting with them....but can I say that it worked out to my benefit with NO hassles and I recommend Dollar if you are trying to save $$ and want a virtually hassle-free experience.

I diligently keep looking on their website until the best deal for me pops up and reserve. Sometimes I do better and cancel the original ressie and put in a new one, others I started out with the best deal and I'm glad I made it.

We'll be flying into Tampa in 2 weeks & I had National but found out they are not in the airport anymore. They're offsite w/Alamo. I can save $20 w/Alamo & was going to switch. But after reading this should I reconsider. We're renting a minivan so I'm not sure what to do, I still have both reservations.

I have rented from Alamo many tiimes, never had a problem.
The shuttles havve always been quick and easy, the rental (especially after obtaining Quick silver, which is Free) has been a cake walk. I am a picky pain in the butt person, and they have passed my muster too many time to count. IMHO,if the price is good, go with em. Remember you are not buying the car, you are renting it.

Why (and when) did National move off site? Is it cheaper for them? That was their big advantage!
So travelers just can't walk across the street any more and pick up a car?

I have also rented from Alamo 3 times (before they became the "official" car rental co) and never had a problem.

I don't know about the other rental places, but Dollar is/was right on site, right out the door and across the road to garage.

I still have not found for us personally any rental car cheaper on our trips than Dollar, and I check them all before we go anywhere.
Maybe Alamo will pick up the slack now that they are "official" and be unbeatable to get the business. Everyone has different experiences with cars/planes/etc. so perhaps if you are undecided just go with what is best for you and form your own opinion.

I don't know about in Florida, but in AZ, a lot of the car concessions have moved their vehicles to an offsite pick up after 9/11. Used to be Dollar was right on site out there, but now you must take a shuttle to their lot. I don't know about being "cheaper" for the rental car business themselves, airport concession fees on your rental continually go up!!

And also I agree with ripleysmom, on our rental from Alamo, we had air conditioner problems and it was a hassle getting it rectified as this was at the start of our trip.

Count me as another who will NEVER, EVER use Alamo again. I had given them a few chances and have had one too many problems to consider using them again. From surly staff, to bait and switch, to outright indifference from their corporate offices, they will never get my money again.

Why (and when) did National move off site? Is it cheaper for them? That was their big advantage!
I know they moved offsite in Tampa, but, I am not sure about Orlando.

I have never rented a car before. We leave in 3 weeks. In the packege deal we received we get an Alamo rental. Is Alamo in the airport or not? If its not and you have to take a shuttle? Whats that all about? Thanks for any info.

I do believe Alamo to be offsite in Orlando. Unless they have moved, it was quite a little shuttle ride to reach it also, but again, my experience with them was some time ago.

The NATIONAL rental counter may still be at the airport, but ALAMO is not. If your rental is with Alamo, you will have to take a shuttle bus offsite (quite a ride) to the Alamo location. Also, your rental fees will include a fee for using the shuttle bus (like you have a choice).

My experience has been that there is little real $$ saved by going with Alamo. I will stick with Avis or Hertz. I would never, never, never rent from Alamo again!

Alamo is about a 5-7 minute ride away from the airport. I have used them quite a few times and have never had a problem. We joined Quicksilver and rental is a very easy experience. We usually get a free upgrade with QS.
Naturally, I would prefer onsite, but, if it is a significant savings (which it has not been lately) I will hop the shuttle.

Also, your rental fees will include a fee for using the shuttle bus (like you have a choice).

Your onsite rental will include an airport fee also, so, this is something of a moot point. And....you do have a choice, you can take a taxi at which point they will refund the shuttle fee. All offsite rentals have this shuttle fee.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Alamo is about a 5-7 minute ride away from the airport. I have used them quite a few times and have never had a problem. We joined Quicksilver and rental is a very easy experience. We usually get a free upgrade with QS.
Naturally, I would prefer onsite, but, if it is a significant savings (which it has not been lately) I will hop the shuttle.

Your onsite rental will include an airport fee also, so, this is something of a moot point. And....you do have a choice, you can take a taxi at which point they will refund the shuttle fee. All offsite rentals have this shuttle fee.
It's nice that someone has rented from Alamo and never had a problem. Not everyone is so lucky.

My experience at MCO with Alamo has ALWAYS been bad. I had a car breakdown once when we drove to Cocoa Beach -- argued with Alamo for over 35 mins. to get them to bring another car out. They wanted me to pay for a tow truck to bring it back to them! Then we waited for over 4 hours for them to come with a replacement car.

I've run into rude reps who try to sell insurance and/or upgrades you don't need or want, then select a car that's parked in Row ZZZ, space 5290 (basically back at the airport)!

I've had problems with overcharges, overbillings, filthy cars (and I mean so filthy that a pig would refuse to ride in it), broken-down cars, cars that were supposed to have full tanks of gas and had less than 1/4 tank...

I believe the ONLY reason Alamo is now the "Official Rental Car of WDW" is that they merged with National. I don't believe that in my worst nightmare and on his worst day ever Ei$ner would willingly affiliate the Disney name with Alamo. That's the equilvalent of putting a pearl necklace on a pig!

believe the ONLY reason Alamo is now the "Official Rental Car of WDW" is that they merged with National.

Just as a point of clarification...Alamo and National have not merged, they are still separate entities under ANC. They are sharing rental space at some locations, and sharing personnel as well, but they are not operating as one company.

I believe the ONLY reason Alamo is now the "Official Rental Car of WDW" is that they merged with National. I don't believe that in my worst nightmare and on his worst day ever Ei$ner would willingly affiliate the Disney name with Alamo. That's the equilvalent of putting a pearl necklace on a pig!

National and Alamo have always been "sister" companies and owned by the same parent co.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter