Say no to Alamo

Originally posted by spoiledbrat28
what is quicksilver?

Alamo's expedited rental service

Speedy rentals
The less time you spend renting, the more time you'll have to do business. One minute you're in, the next you're out. That's the idea behind Quicksilver, Alamo's speedy rental service.

No lines. No waiting.
Our Quicksilver kiosk features a user-friendly, touch screen that allows you to bypass rental lines at almost all Alamo airport-serving locations.

We used Alamo a couple of times in Orlando before we had children. We have no intentions of using any company not on airport ever again. We have used Avis Preferred and National Emerald Aisle about 4 to 5 times each. Both programs enable you to skip the counter entirely and walk across the street to pick-up your vehicle. A few dollars savings is not worth busing off airport coming and going to our family.

Alamo is one of the worst or should I say WORST rental agency in Orlando. The only time we rent from them is when we buy a package and unfortunately they are the car rental voucher. They beg you to take the extra unneccessary insurance, give you a 2 door when you requested a 4 dr. and then try to charge you an upgrade for the 4 dr.--they always manage to screw up the charges (in their favor) and I can go on and on. Buyer beware!!!

Thanks to others who validated my impression/opinion of Alamo...I didn't want to be the only one who has had lousy experiences with them.

Gail Hayden, Did you sign up for the membership, is that how you get Quicksilver? Do they still bug you to upgrade and ask about the insurance?

Originally posted by mousey
They beg you to take the extra unneccessary insurance, give you a 2 door when you requested a 4 dr. and then try to charge you an upgrade for the 4 dr.--they always manage to screw up the charges (in their favor) and I can go on and on. Buyer beware!!!

That is exactly what happened to me on the last occasion that ALAMO had my business. I reserved a 4 door midsize car. RESERVED IT with CC. Waited in line, off airport, for well over 2 hours, got to agent and spoke to her. She told me all I was entitled to was a 2 door Cavalier.. I showed reservation number, argued, pleaded, asked for manager. At that point I was told to take the 2 door cavalier, upgrade to a "FULL SIZE" Olds (and it was old too) Cierra, or GET OUT OF LINE. Without a back up reservation, I was stuck. That was my LAST experience with Alamo... Oh and repeated letters to Alamo corporate didn't do anything, they couldn't have cared less. The "River Styx" will freeze over before I ever rent from Alamo again.:rolleyes:

Gail Hayden, Did you sign up for the membership, is that how you get Quicksilver? Do they still bug you to upgrade and ask about the insurance?

Yes, I signed up years ago, and no, they don't bug me about upgrades or insurance, in fact, they never "bugged" me, they asked I said no. Simple. When you rent with QS, you go to a kiosk, insert your QS card and the reservation and car location come spitting out of the kiosk and you go and get it and you are outta there (after you check out with the gate attendant).

In all honesty, I was harassed far more with Budget than I ever was with Alamo and I have had terrible experiences with Hertz, so, I guess no rental agency is perfect and there will always be some that had no problems and others that have had a horrible time. I have friends that love the Sears store and you could not pay me to go there to shop (except for tools and appliances). I hate that place. I also detest KMart, others love it. So, I guess, to each his/her own.

Gail Hayden, Thanks for the info. The thing is we booked it with our package deal. Would I still be able to do the quicksilver thing? Thanks.

Originally posted by spoiledbrat28
Gail Hayden, Thanks for the info. The thing is we booked it with our package deal. Would I still be able to do the quicksilver thing? Thanks.
sure you would - just apply for QS and have them add it to the ressie in your package...

does anyone know how to email this thread to Alamo? It's L&M car rental for me!
Jerry

Jerry, I don't think they'd take the criticism seriously. My company spent 2 years with them as a preferred rental car company; it was only after they really fouled up with our CIO that someone in Meeting Services finally woke up and dumped them. We're now using either Hertz or Avis exclusively.

I've written to Alamo directly, complained using PlanetFeedback, emailed, called ...

JMO, but they don't listen, don't care. Just fork over your money and don't let the door hit your tushie on the way out. Next!

JMO, but they don't listen, don't care. Just fork over your money and don't let the door hit your tushie on the way out. Next!

That has not been my experience. The one and only time I had a problem with Alamo, we called immediately from FL. I also wrote to customer service when I returned. They sent me a coupon for three free days and credited my card for a full tank of gas.
They did listen to me and were very very nice about it.

My friend returned from WDW at the end of October.
Alamo rental was the only car rental included in the
package they purchased. The shuttle was no problem
(they are offsite about 10-15 minutes shuttle ride), the
lineup at the depot was quite long.
The car they received was dented in several areas,
which they immediately pointed out and had the
attendent record before they left. The interior
dash board and door panels were separating from the
dash and the door frame (seems the glue released in
the Florida heat).
They mentioned this when they returned the car and
had no problems (again the line to return was quite
long but no problem with shuttle back to airport).
If given a choice they would not rent from Alamo
again (but sometimes you aren't given an option).

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
That has not been my experience. The one and only time I had a problem with Alamo, we called immediately from FL. I also wrote to customer service when I returned. They sent me a coupon for three free days and credited my card for a full tank of gas.
They did listen to me and were very very nice about it.
Gail, I am glad you always have a great experience with Alamo. I have never been that fortunate with them and that's why they lost not just my business, but also my company's business. Alamo can't be choosy about who they want to keep satisfied; one day they may learn that lesson, but I doubt it. I won't shed any tears if they go out of business.

jmho, this thread is getting old and drawn out - sorry....

As said many times on many threads - there will always be different experiences with all companies. I think we got the jist of this one :)

All points bulletin.. Be on the lookout for a Hertz Taurus last seen in stall 30 at Orlando.

No kidding I picked up a car there last week. As a Gold Club Member I am entitled to an upgrade when available. The Taurus was in the slot and I went in to check on the upgrade, which I got. While adjusting everything in the car, the clerk came out and asked if I had moved the taurus. I had not even gotten in it. This is the scary part. I left the original contract in the car. When I drove thru the gate on the way out, the guard checked everything except my identity.

I like Hertz. Hate Alamo.

As said many times on many threads - there will always be different experiences with all companies. I think we got the jist of this one

I agree. But, Nuthut, just has to dredge up the sludge ever month or so.

Reporting good and bad experiences is what helps folks make informed decisions. Alamo's operation in Orlando generates far more negative feedback than any of the other rental car companies that I have seen discussed on these boards. If someone wants to save money, commute off-airport, and roll the dice with Alamo, then at least enroll in their Quicksilver program.... all the while crossing everything that you can twice and hoping for the best. Expressing one's opinion on a subject should not be criticized by another poster, the facts can always be disputed but knocking someone for lamenting a truly memorably bad or good experience is unwarranted...imho.

Bailybrad,
I totally agree (IMHO also).

This board has helped to plan very memorable
times and, I am convinced, has averted some potential
problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter