• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci-Fi Dine In...Yay or Nay?

As someone who hates change, I typically stick with character meals and buffets for our family trip. With those not being an option, I'm struggling to find sit-down restaurants that will make everyone happy.

We have two days at Hollywood Studios, on one we will be eating at 50's Prime Time. Do you guys recommend Sci Fi Dine In Restaurant? Or would you consider it a waste of money? Thanks for any opinions and suggestions!!!
We liked it. We get the ribs combo, which is pretty good. They also have good shakes. The theming is terrific and the vintage drive-in ads & clips are amusing.

It's very hard to get a reservation there, though. Use Touring Plans' free reservation finder tool if you have problems getting a reservation.

It’s fun with a great atmosphere. My kids 22 and24 love it and we have to eat there every trip. Food is ok but nothing great but hey it’s not meant to be top end. Milk shakes are also good and car tables are unique.

We really enjoyed it in August 2018. I think it's better as a lunch because of the menu and the nice cooling/resting atmosphere. The service was great and we all really enjoyed the quality of our meals. The prime rib reuben is no longer on the menu, but it was one of the best things I ate that entire trip.

If you want to eat there prioritize it when you make ADRs and put it towards the end of your trip.

I'm glad we did it once. The theming is truly unique. However, I'm not a fan of not being able to talk during meals, which the car seating makes difficult. And, for us, the food was worse than many QS meals we had during our stay. Though, to be fair, the price wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of TS restaurants.

I agree with much of what I read so far. We only do it if we have new people with us on a vacation. It is a fun place to eat for the theme and atmosphere but the food is not that great.. not bad... but not great.
When we are on the dining plan... we would never waste a TS credit here at all as it isn't that expensive. Out of pocket, it isn't much more than the average QS so that can be a plus in it's favour.

I'm glad we did it once. The theming is truly unique. However, I'm not a fan of not being able to talk during meals, which the car seating makes difficult. And, for us, the food was worse than many QS meals we had during our stay. Though, to be fair, the price wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of TS restaurants.
Yep, this exactly - I'm glad we did it once, but my kids (who are easily impressed/to please) were like....meh. The food wasn't great but it was really the being quiet and same movie clips on repeat that they got over REALLY fast. They've never wanted to go back again.

As someone who hates change, I typically stick with character meals and buffets for our family trip. With those not being an option, I'm struggling to find sit-down restaurants that will make everyone happy.

We have two days at Hollywood Studios, on one we will be eating at 50's Prime Time. Do you guys recommend Sci Fi Dine In Restaurant? Or would you consider it a waste of money? Thanks for any opinions and suggestions!!!
Sci fit is one of our fav restaurants at Disney. We love the theme, burgers and shakes. It's such a nice break from the crowds and heat.

With the current requirements in place IMO it's one of the best break-time restaurants in the parks from the heat. It's so dark and cool inside it just currently enhances the fact that you are eating okay-ish food. Giving the kids a break to watch the outdated stuff has it's bonus and it gives them a solid break from the hustle and bustle of the crowds and rides.

Ironically enough, we just had a conversation at dinner last night, we asked where the kids wanted to eat for our trip in the Fall, they both said Sci-Fi. We have eaten there a few times over the years and we enjoyed it. If you haven't eaten there before, I definitely recommend it at least once. The Beef and Blue Burger is good. Pricey, but good. This trip we are skipping it only due to the fact that we are trying to eat at places we have never eaten before. Maybe Mamma Melrose's, or HBD.

Wife and I tried Sci Fi in March 2020; it was a "once and done" thing for us. Food was adequate (definitely had better on WDW property), but the seating style was not our favorite, and our service was mediocre at best.

We were just there last week and I was a little nervous about the food but we ended up really enjoying it. We both got the turkey sandwich and the kids got nuggies. My daughter loved her milkshake. Plus the atmosphere is super cute. Definitely worth trying once. We’ll go back in August.

Question on the seating aspect....from pictures it looks like a group of 3 would not work well here. I am seeing 2 people in one row, then 1 person as single in another row of the car. So unless the 1 person turns around they dont see or cant talk to the other 2 people. Is that kind of the setup?

We are a family of 3 so thinking either the kiddo sits alone and ideally is entertained by the movie clips or 1 parent sits alone and gets some 'downtime'.

Is an odd number in the dining party an issue at this place?

Question on the seating aspect....from pictures it looks like a group of 3 would not work well here. I am seeing 2 people in one row, then 1 person as single in another row of the car. So unless the 1 person turns around they dont see or cant talk to the other 2 people. Is that kind of the setup?

We are a family of 3 so thinking either the kiddo sits alone and ideally is entertained by the movie clips or 1 parent sits alone and gets some 'downtime'.

My husband and son sat in back and I sat in front, it was easy to still talk to each other and I didn't mind it at all.

That's correct - one person will have to sit alone. You and your spouse can draw straws for the down time LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter