Shiny Happy People Docuseries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be honest - I follow all of the fundamentalist family drama/news via Reddit and so nothing in this documentary provided anything new. With that being said - I don't see what was so outrageous about it? I never did like the Duggars, but from my recollection none of the children ever said they were hit or physically disciplined. And Michelle Duggar never mentioned hitting the kids during blanket training. I feel like there are assumptions being made because of what the IBLP director did and assuming that the family followed it strictly. Unless I'm missing something?

Yes, what Josh Duggar did was horrifying. They should have made him get professional help before he continued to spiral. But even Jill Duggar said she never wanted that to come out because they wanted it to be dealt with in the family. Whoever released it to the media should be ashamed.
The system that protected Josh Duggar is despicable. Jill Duggar never wanting it to come out is sad in that she still feels shame where she should feel vindication in outing him. “Dealt with in the family” what a crock! That family is a system of abuse and subjugation. I hope that Jill continues to heal and realizes that NONE of the shame is hers.

Last edited:
The system that protected Josh Duggar is despicable. Jill Duggar never wanting it to come out is sad in that she still feels shame where she should feel vindication in outing him. “Dealt with in the family” what a crock! That family is a system of abuse and subjugation. I hope that Jill continues to heal and realize that NONE of the shame is hers.
Oh absolutely, none of this shame falls on her. But who are we to decide how a victim chooses to live with her story? Her story is hers alone and if she only wanted her husband to know, it's not right that the world has now taken that choice from her. No one should be forced to "out" their abuser or to have this type of trauma brought up time and time again.

I never did like the Duggars, but from my recollection none of the children ever said they were hit or physically disciplined. And Michelle Duggar never mentioned hitting the kids during blanket training. I feel like there are assumptions being made because of what the IBLP director did and assuming that the family followed it strictly. Unless I'm missing something?
Hitting the children is literally what blanket training is. :confused3
So if she says she’s blanket training, I think we all know what that means.

Yes, what Josh Duggar did was horrifying. They should have made him get professional help before he continued to spiral. But even Jill Duggar said she never wanted that to come out because they wanted it to be dealt with in the family. Whoever released it to the media should be ashamed.
I agree that whoever released his victims' names to the media should be ashamed. Nobody who's been a SA victim should be publicly outed unless it's their wish to speak out.

However...what Duggar did, especially to the youngest of his victims, was criminal and perverted and should *not* have been something dealt with 'in the family.' In IBLP, he got a minor slap on the wrist and a wagging finger. In that cult, where the onus is placed on the women to not 'defraud' men, or as I read in one of the booklets, to be just as culpable as the man who assaults them, the victims had no chance for justice. Not only that, but Duggar was rallied around and protected by his parents to the detriment of the daughters who were abused. I'm not sorry that sick pervert got arrested and outed.

I watched the documentary, and well, none of it was even remotely surprising. I've never watched the Duggar shows when they were on, but of course did see them in the news from time to time when they were out peddling their show or books, or whatever. They always came across as extremely creepy to me, as someone who is a non-religious person. I'm definitely a "live and let live" person....worship who or whatever you want, as long as you aren't hurting anyone.

But with that crew, it was just evident that all was not right in that household. I found Jill in particular sooooo creepy, in the way she adoringly looked at her husband whenever he was speaking. Listen, we all glance and smile at our S/Os when they're speaking.....but it was just so over the top creepy. She appeared brainwashed....as did most of the children.

And it's obvious, whenever you're having that many children that not all are going to have their needs met by the parents, but that the oldest children are going to be left in charge, alone....with the younger ones. And we all know what happened within that family.

But to see the larger picture of the particular sect (cult) that the Duggars belonged to, well....none of it is a surprise.

Oh absolutely, none of this shame falls on her. But who are we to decide how a victim chooses to live with her story? Her story is hers alone and if she only wanted her husband to know, it's not right that the world has now taken that choice from her. No one should be forced to "out" their abuser or to have this type of trauma brought up time and time again.
It was her family who forced her on to Megan Kelly to try to downplay and clean up the scandal to salvage their brand.

I’ll agree that victim’s names should be protected but it was not and should not have been dealt with “in the family.” Josh Duggar is exactly where he belongs and he might have gone there sooner had the family truly “dealt” with his abuse. Victims have to speak up if abusers are to be stopped. They bear no shame and should be reassured of that. Jill still needs reprogramming work to realize that she was a victim. A victim of Josh, her parents, and the whole abusive system. She was raised in an abusive system though where the flip side of making women and young girls responsible for male behavior is the message that males can’t help themselves.

I have no intention of watching the series, and I haven’t read this whole thread, but I’m wondering if the Duggars are getting paid for this series. 🤨

There is a big difference between homeschooling because it works best for your child/family or doing it so they are not exposed to people from different backgrounds. ...
I agree. The 2 are incomparable.

As for this show, I'm not going to watch it. By the sounds of it, it's heart-breaking.

I have no intention of watching the series, and I haven’t read this whole thread, but I’m wondering if the Duggars are getting paid for this series. 🤨

I hope the girls are getting paid for this since they got nothing for the years of shows due to their father's handling if agreements with TLC, even after the kids were adults.

I watched the documentary. The shocking part (for me) was that I lived near the Chicago area cult headquarters. I remember we'd drive by the building, and my mom would say that a "strange bunch 'worked' there and dressed funny". That was many years ago. After watching the documentary... lightbulb! a cult.
* an aside: my neighbor homeschooled her kids. Years ago when at church, a woman approached her about a "great homeschool program" my neighbor met up with the woman.. turns out it was the IBLP. Needless to say my neighbor didn't participate!

Her abuser also molested other underaged relatives, and then had his on underaged relatives. What are the odds he hasn’t molested his own children? It’s about protecting innocent children from harm.

Her abuser also molested other underaged relatives, and then had his on underaged relatives. What are the odds he hasn’t molested his own children? It’s about protecting innocent children from harm.
But is that the victim's responsibility to protect others? Or is it the parent/guardian's responsibility to ensure that their children are protected.

Hitting the children is literally what blanket training is. :confused3
So if she says she’s blanket training, I think we all know what that means.
We'll agree to disagree. Blanket training does not always involve hitting.

I agree that whoever released his victims' names to the media should be ashamed. Nobody who's been a SA victim should be publicly outed unless it's their wish to speak out.

However...what Duggar did, especially to the youngest of his victims, was criminal and perverted and should *not* have been something dealt with 'in the family.' In IBLP, he got a minor slap on the wrist and a wagging finger. In that cult, where the onus is placed on the women to not 'defraud' men, or as I read in one of the booklets, to be just as culpable as the man who assaults them, the victims had no chance for justice. Not only that, but Duggar was rallied around and protected by his parents to the detriment of the daughters who were abused. I'm not sorry that sick pervert got arrested and outed.
Absolutely it was criminal and he deserves to be where he is. But there are some who just wish to tear the family down because of their views and so will take this story and run with it no matter who it hurts. Victims be damned.

It was her family who forced her on to Megan Kelly to try to downplay and clean up the scandal to salvage their brand.

I’ll agree that victim’s names should be protected but it was not and should not have been dealt with “in the family.” Josh Duggar is exactly where he belongs and he might have gone there sooner had the family truly “dealt” with his abuse. Victims have to speak up if abusers are to be stopped. They bear no shame and should be reassured of that. Jill still needs reprogramming work to realize that she was a victim. A victim of Josh, her parents, and the whole abusive system. She was raised in an abusive system though where the flip side of making women and young girls responsible for male behavior is the message that males can’t help themselves.
Did Megyn Kelly release the police report? That wasn't my recollection. And I'm guessing the MK show reached out to the Duggars to cover the story, not the other way around. Was it right that the parents had their victimized daughters go on the show to defend the family? Absolutely not - but I'm not sure many of us would choose differently if your livelihood was at-risk. We can say with a 20,000 foot view that we would always do what is morally right, but that might be different if it is actually happening to you.

But if you're in the situation where your son has done an unspeakable crime to your younger kids, you are going to fight to get them help the way you think is best (which for them, was through the church that their lives were centered around). It makes sense that they thought sending him away would help him rather than him being locked up in juvenile detention. No parent wants that. They are not monsters for wanting to protect both the son and the daughters. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 and now it is obvious their choice to go through the church did nothing to help him but that is the beauty of looking back. We can all make judgements about what should have been done now that we know the outcome.

Nevertheless, whoever released it should have been held fully responsible. No crimes of sexual assault where victims are remotely identifiable, **especially** children, should EVER be released.

Jill is the only one besides cousin Amy participating, she would be the only one being paid. Why would the others be paid when they weren’t interviewed for the documentary?

But is that the victim's responsibility to protect others? Or is it the parent/guardian's responsibility to ensure that their children are protected.
The duggars did not protect their children, they let a known pedophile live with their children. Do you really think josh is going to protect his children - from himself? Ask the Catholic Church how keeping dirty little secrets in house worked out (and yes, I’m Catholic). Josh is a pediphile, no amount of therapy is going to change that.

That is another thing...Amy Duggar seems to be a huge attention seeker. I find it fascinating that only her and Jill Duggar went on to participate in the show. Even Jinger Duggar did not tear down her family in her new book. None of the kids really have, it's all outside people pulling assumptions.

I think a lot of this is clever marketing because people loved to hate the family even before all this came out. If people can cash in, they'll do and say anything.

I have no idea who is in the series since I haven’t watched it. I just hope that the Duggars (parents) are not profiting from it.

The duggars did not protect their children, they let a known pedophile live with their children. Do you really think josh is going to protect his children - from himself? Ask the Catholic Church how keeping dirty little secrets in house worked out (and yes, I’m Catholic). Josh is a pediphile, no amount of therapy is going to change that.
All I'm saying is that I think it's wrong to say that Jill or any of the other girls should have to come out and expose their victimization in order to protect other people's kids. That is not their burden to bear. We can agree to disagree.

I just finished watching the series. How horrible! Just knowing they hit their kids with a rod for "encouragement" makes me sick. I truly feel bad for Jana. She has not gotten married so she is trapped. I hope that she gets to have a life where she can be free and happy.

All I'm saying is that I think it's wrong to say that Jill or any of the other girls should have to come out and expose their victimization in order to protect other people's kids. That is not their burden to bear. We can agree to disagree.
Rape victims do it all of the time, can you imagine the mess society would be if no one reported their abuser? Or just moved them to another parish? Oh wait, we don’t even need to use our imaginations. I agree their names shouldn’t have been leaked 9 years later, but Josh should’ve been arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter