slo’s THURSDAY 8/24 poll - Colonoscopy

Colonoscopy - Have you had one and when was your last one? (m.c.)

• I’ve had a colonoscopy

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • I’ve not had a colonoscopy

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have a colonoscopy scheduled

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • 1 year ago

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • 2 years ago

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • 3 years ago

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • 4 years ago

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • 5 - 7 years ago

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • 8-10 years ago

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 10 or more years ago

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
I had one earlier this summer. Everyone told me the prep was the worst part. They were wrong. The prep didn't work for me. The gastro went ahead with the procedure and I threw up in the middle of it among other things. When I woke up I was covered pretty much all over with one thing or another. :(

I've had 2, the last one 10+ years ago.
I just did the ColoGuard test, everything was fine.
Thankfully there is no colon cancer history on
either side of my family but way too many "female" cancers
and way too many heart conditions.

Reactions: slo
I just had my first one yesterday. I had One small polyp already got the pathology back. I am on the 10 year schedule.

I currently know three people battling colon cancer, including a 36 yr old, a 40 yr old and a 64 yr old

Reactions: slo
I knew we were old when... My college friends, hubby and I were sitting on the deck talking. These were the kind of college friends that saw you at your worst (or best, depending on how you look at it.) The kind that hold your hair back when you drink too much. Well, someone mentioned a colonoscopy and we'd all had them and sat around talking about our prep and colonoscopies for a while. We're old.

I'm on the 3 year plan and have my next in 2 months.

Yeah yeah…..not a fun topic today.
But, I want my polls to be fun and sometimes meaningful.
These polls almost always give people something to think about, even if it’s a silly topic.
Today, the topic is a little more serious.

I’ve never hid anywhere how I have severe Ulcerative Colitis - I don’t want sympathy - instead I want people to feel comfortable talking about IBS, bowel issues, colonoscopies and etc with me. This is a topic that many are embarrassed to talk about, and it‘s with that embarrassment that causes people to brush their issues under the rug and hope they go away - the result of that can be terrible and sometimes deadly. I don’t mean to be preachy today, but I feel very passionately about getting these done.

So today I ask……

Have you had a colonoscopy?
If yes…..when was your last one?
(multiple choice)

*poll inspired by me having a colonoscopy this morning.

*no “other“ choice today

For Me……Before today - 2 years ago, which is great for me. I’m currently taking Entyvio, which is given to me through an IV every 8 weeks - it’s been life changing for me. You all don’t even want to know what I had to do before that - let’s just say it was not fun. But it was what it was - everything is bearable as long as you keep smiling and keep a positive outlook.

Keep in mind…you‘re never too young to get a colonoscopy. Last summer when DD20 was still 18, she was having issues and had her first colonoscopy and endoscopy done. She knows the importance of these and did not hesitate to get these done - she handled it like champ.

View attachment 787642
Yeah yeah…..not a fun topic today.
But, I want my polls to be fun and sometimes meaningful.
These polls almost always give people something to think about, even if it’s a silly topic.
Today, the topic is a little more serious.

I’ve never hid anywhere how I have severe Ulcerative Colitis - I don’t want sympathy - instead I want people to feel comfortable talking about IBS, bowel issues, colonoscopies and etc with me. This is a topic that many are embarrassed to talk about, and it‘s with that embarrassment that causes people to brush their issues under the rug and hope they go away - the result of that can be terrible and sometimes deadly. I don’t mean to be preachy today, but I feel very passionately about getting these done.

So today I ask……

Have you had a colonoscopy?
If yes…..when was your last one?
(multiple choice)

*poll inspired by me having a colonoscopy this morning.

*no “other“ choice today

For Me……Before today - 2 years ago, which is great for me. I’m currently taking Entyvio, which is given to me through an IV every 8 weeks - it’s been life changing for me. You all don’t even want to know what I had to do before that - let’s just say it was not fun. But it was what it was - everything is bearable as long as you keep smiling and keep a positive outlook.

Keep in mind…you‘re never too young to get a colonoscopy. Last summer when DD20 was still 18, she was having issues and had her first colonoscopy and endoscopy done. She knows the importance of these and did not hesitate to get these done - she handled it like champ.

View attachment 787642

I had one earlier this summer. Everyone told me the prep was the worst part. They were wrong. The prep didn't work for me. The gastro went ahead with the procedure and I threw up in the middle of it among other things. When I woke up I was covered pretty much all over with one thing or another. :(
I have severe Crohns Disease. Severe to the point of hospitalization, and three years ago a total stay of three months. So far, no surgery...colonoscopy every year. Hated the prep to the point that I cried when my gastro said it was time to schedule. Said I'd rather have quintuplets with no pain meds. I've done the last 2 with sutab and it's night and day.
I'm not sure anything can take your life over quite as much as IBD. I'm doing much better now, taking Stelara. Was on Entyvio, which worked, but I was not always able to get to the infusion center when I couldn't leave the house. Prednisone has holped, but has done a number in many ways...cataracts, thin skin. lousy veins. But I'm still kicking!

My son also has severe Crohns. He was interestingly, diagnosed several years before me. He, however, has experienced a perforated colon. On his 21st birthday.

I have severe Crohns Disease. Severe to the point of hospitalization, and three years ago a total stay of three months. So far, no surgery...colonoscopy every year. Hated the prep to the point that I cried when my gastro said it was time to schedule. Said I'd rather have quintuplets with no pain meds. I've done the last 2 with sutab and it's night and day.
I'm not sure anything can take your life over quite as much as IBD. I'm doing much better now, taking Stelara. Was on Entyvio, which worked, but I was not always able to get to the infusion center when I couldn't leave the house. Prednisone has holped, but has done a number in many ways...cataracts, thin skin. lousy veins. But I'm still kicking!

My son also has severe Crohns. He was interestingly, diagnosed several years before me. He, however, has experienced a perforated colon. On his 21st birthday.
I’m very sorry to hear about this.
Hugs and prayers for you and your son :hug:

I will absolutely be talking to my doctor about alternatives. I did complete the prep but threw a lot of it up. It was just horrible.

Other than turning 45, I had no risk factors, but so glad I followed the new lower recs and had mine done. They found precancerous serrated sessile adenoma. If the new lower recs were not in place, might have been a different story in 5 years.

I had my last colonoscopy April 2021 so not due until 2031 for now. The drink makes me so sick after that I can't even think about food for a couple of days. Maybe just some toast. Last time I couldn't even keep the first half of the drink down. Once I'm home I just roll up in a ball and sleep for a day and a half. When you suffer from reflux like I do that drink is the worst!

Mine is scheduled for November along with endoscopy. I've had them (endo only past 2 times) either every 3 or 5 years , depending on what he finds, since I was 50, so almost 30 years now. Most often some polyps are found. My mom passed from colon cancer in her mid 80's. Doctor said that is not as much of a concern, though certainly some, compared to if she had been under age 60. Marie's; father passed from colon cancer, age 54. She gets hers every 3 or 5 years, again depending on findings. She just had her most recent in June.

At my age, the gastro did say this will be my final one, based on my age along with potential risks from my chronic heart and lung issues.

I too really enjoy my meal afterwards, usually a great breakfast.
I'm one up on you. done both an endoscopy and colonoscopy AND a capsule endoscopy, where you swallow a tiny camera and where a blue tooth DVR to record as it goes all the say through your system until you pass it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter