slo’s THURSDAY 8/24 poll - Colonoscopy

Colonoscopy - Have you had one and when was your last one? (m.c.)

• I’ve had a colonoscopy

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • I’ve not had a colonoscopy

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have a colonoscopy scheduled

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • 1 year ago

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • 2 years ago

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • 3 years ago

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • 4 years ago

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • 5 - 7 years ago

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • 8-10 years ago

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 10 or more years ago

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
I'll share that I was super nervous/scared/anxious about my first colonoscopy, which happened in my 30s. But it was way overblown (no pun intended). The procedure itself was a breeze, the medication for sleeping had no ill effects, and the best part was, I knew afterward that I was healthy.

I hope everyone has a colonoscopy at the age/time appropriate as recommended by your doctor. There's no need to be afraid and if you are, there are lots of people who are here to support you!

I feel for you, Slo! I have microscopic colitis and it is bad enough - I can't imagine ulcerative or Crohn's. I was diagnosed in my late 30's so had two colonoscopies and a sigmoidoscopy before the age of 50. I did the sigmoidoscopy without anesthesia (my choice) - that was interesting! The procedure itself and the biopsies that are done were not painful to me, but the air they blow up into you before the procedure was surprisingly painful! I almost tapped out and then thankfully they finished with the air and the rest was fine.

Reactions: slo
My mother died from colon cancer at age 59 after a six year battle, so I started having colonoscopies at 40. I had precancerous polyps that first time and was put on a 3 year schedule. I had one religiously every 3 years, and they found polyps every time but the last one, at at that time they told me I could wait 5 years. I'm determined to not get a bowel cancer if I can help it.

The procedure itself is very easy to get through. The worst part for me was having to fart in front of strangers in the recovery room.:moped:

• Sad
I'll share that I was super nervous/scared/anxious about my first colonoscopy, which happened in my 30s. But it was way overblown (no pun intended). The procedure itself was a breeze, the medication for sleeping had no ill effects, and the best part was, I knew afterward that I was healthy.

I hope everyone has a colonoscopy at the age/time appropriate as recommended by your doctor. There's no need to be afraid and if you are, there are lots of people who are here to support you!
I don’t mind anything about the whole deal, EXCEPT getting the prep down.

My sister was diagnosed with metastatic colon/rectal cancer at the age of 31. She had surgery, including the removal of about a dozen lymph nodes, and has a permanent colostomy. The chemo and radiation also ruled out having children, which was a huge shock and maybe more difficult to deal with than having the cancer itself. My mother was also diagnosed with colon cancer, about 5 years after that, although hers was very different and she had the option of just chemo, or surgery and chemo. Needless to say, my other siblings and I have been diligent about getting scoped. I had my first when I was 41, then again at 46, 51, and 56. As all of those were clear, my doc said I could go on the ten year plan (she felt there were mitigating circumstances for both my sister and mother, indicating that it might not be a familial/genetic thing). I am due for another soon, but had to deal with the total knee replacement first.

PS- My mother has since passed away, but my sister is a survivor- she's 57 now, 26 years post-surgery!

• Sad
Had my first colonoscopy a month ago.

With family history, I had prepared to hear they found/removed polyps and I would need to go again in 5 years. I was lucky! They said my colon looked fabulous and it is almost a rarity these days to say come back in 10 years. I'll take it! :thumbsup2

Yeah, it definitely isn't the most fun procedure (really just the prep) but a necessary one.

My prep is a small thing of Miralax mixed in with a 64 ounce container of gatorade oh and 4 ducolax pills. Easy Peasy
THIS ⬆️ is the best prep and I’ve done a lot of them.

Yesterday I had a new one and it was awful - just awful.
Here’s a picture…
IMG_1649.jpeg
This was about a gallon and I had to drink 2 1/4 cups every 15 minutes until it was gone. It made me so nauseous, but I did it 😃💪🏼

Mine is scheduled for November along with endoscopy. I've had them (endo only past 2 times) either every 3 or 5 years , depending on what he finds, since I was 50, so almost 30 years now. Most often some polyps are found. My mom passed from colon cancer in her mid 80's. Doctor said that is not as much of a concern, though certainly some, compared to if she had been under age 60. Marie's; father passed from colon cancer, age 54. She gets hers every 3 or 5 years, again depending on findings. She just had her most recent in June.

At my age, the gastro did say this will be my final one, based on my age along with potential risks from my chronic heart and lung issues.

I too really enjoy my meal afterwards, usually a great breakfast.

My mother died from colon cancer at age 59 after a six year battle, so I started having colonoscopies at 40. I had precancerous polyps that first time and was put on a 3 year schedule. I had one religiously every 3 years, and they found polyps every time but the last one, at at that time they told me I could wait 5 years. I'm determined to not get a bowel cancer if I can help it.

The procedure itself is very easy to get through. The worst part for me was having to fart in front of strangers in the recovery room.:moped:

My sister was diagnosed with metastatic colon/rectal cancer at the age of 31. She had surgery, including the removal of about a dozen lymph nodes, and has a permanent colostomy. The chemo and radiation also ruled out having children, which was a huge shock and maybe more difficult to deal with than having the cancer itself. My mother was also diagnosed with colon cancer, about 5 years after that, although hers was very different and she had the option of just chemo, or surgery and chemo. Needless to say, my other siblings and I have been diligent about getting scoped. I had my first when I was 41, then again at 46, 51, and 56. As all of those were clear, my doc said I could go on the ten year plan (she felt there were mitigating circumstances for both my sister and mother, indicating that it might not be a familial/genetic thing). I am due for another soon, but had to deal with the total knee replacement first.

PS- My mother has since passed away, but my sister is a survivor- she's 57 now, 26 years post-surgery!
Hugs to you all :grouphug:
I’m very sorry to hear you had family members that suffered with colon cancer.

Everything went smooth today and I was told my infusions are working as they should, which is fantastic news. As I said earlier - Entyvio has changed my UC life in a great way. I still am on a very strict diet, which is ok - it’s my normal now. I go back for another colonoscopy in 2 years, unless the Entyvio starts to fail on me.

My mom took me out to breakfast and I got a big ol Frittata and some pancakes.

Today has been a good day! :goodvibes

Everything went smooth today and I was told my infusions are working as they should, which is fantastic news. As I said earlier - Entyvio has changed my UC life in a great way. I still am on a very strict diet, which is ok - it’s my normal now. I go back for another colonoscopy in 2 years, unless the Entyvio starts to fail on me.

My mom took me out to breakfast and I got a big ol Frittata and some pancakes.

Today has been a good day! :goodvibes
Great news, great report, great breakfast. And thanks for your comfort above.

• Love
I had one back in 2009 when I had a female bleeding issue (I had a Vaginal varicose vein that broke open and had to have surgery to close it) and I was REALLY anemic (HCT = 18, If you know about counts, it's supposed to be like 40) from the blood loss and got 2 units of blood. My counts weren't coming back up like they should and they did a colonoscopy to see if there was any other source of bleeding. Now that I am 50 I am going to have another one. I don't have it scheduled but I will.

I need to call. It's time, but last time, had such issues drinking the prep. Half of it came back up. Who do you call at 3 am? I so wish my dr used the pills. Reading threads here, some people mention not even taking anything special but just like double amount of normal over the counter stuff.

When I had mine done it was 2 32oz bottles of Gatorade and 1 Medium thing of Miralax. 1/2 Miralax in each bottle.
My DH just had one in December and they used the pills. it was 2 steps took the first bottle of pills (and a Zofran that they gave him just in case) the night before and the 2nd the morning of (his appointment wasn't until 1pm) He had NO results at all with the 1st bottle of pills. 2nd bottle he didn't take the Zofran and I had him take Milk of Mag and he finally went. Luckily he did get cleaned out enough.

I had one in 2017 to rule out Cancer(ended up eventually being diagnosed with IBS-C...though still not positive there isn't something else going on) woke up with about 15 minutes left for them to go...0/10 do not recommend doing that!

Yesterday I had a new one and it was awful - just awful.
Here’s a picture…
IMG_1649.jpeg

This was about a gallon and I had to drink 2 1/4 cups every 15 minutes until it was gone. It made me so nauseous, but I did it 😃💪🏼
This (and the other prep called GoLytely) is actually the same medication as Miralax (Polyethylene Glycol) these just have the extra electrolytes (Salt, etc) the Miralax prep gets them from the Gatorade so that makes it more palatable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter