slo’s THURSDAY 8/24 poll - Colonoscopy

Colonoscopy - Have you had one and when was your last one? (m.c.)

• I’ve had a colonoscopy

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • I’ve not had a colonoscopy

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have a colonoscopy scheduled

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • 1 year ago

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • 2 years ago

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • 3 years ago

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • 4 years ago

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • 5 - 7 years ago

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • 8-10 years ago

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 10 or more years ago

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
I have had one, and it was over 10 years ago. I just turned 45, so this wasn't for routine screening, it was to investigate some symptoms. It all fortunately turned out to be nothing major, but they had to rule some stuff out. They also did a cystoscopy which was significanly more traumatic! I will need to be scheduling my first regular screening in the near future.

I had my first one a little less than a year ago. They found and removed 2 polyps each a different type. Will have another in 4 years.

The doctor during my consultation appointment was actually surprised that I hadn’t had one before since another gastro doctor diagnosed me with functional diarrhea about 10 years ago. Which usually means they rule out other causes for chronic diarrhea first.

Reactions: slo
I've had 2 so far because of family history. 1st one had a polyp removed. 2nd one 2 years later was fine. They said come back in 3 years. Luckily no problems with the prep. Keeping fingers crossed.

Wishing you GOOD HEALTH, Slo!
ADVOCACY is so important.
I was 57 when I had my "only" colonoscopy. Yes, it was a few years too late. I was fortunate and my next is due when I'm 67, in 5 yrs. If for some reason, I need one sooner, I will do it!

I've had a couple, due again next year. While I empathize with those who have difficulty, for me there's not much to it (except I hate not eating for an extended time prior to the procedure.)

Yeah yeah…..not a fun topic today.
But, I want my polls to be fun and sometimes meaningful.
These polls almost always give people something to think about, even if it’s a silly topic.
Today, the topic is a little more serious.

I’ve never hid anywhere how I have severe Ulcerative Colitis - I don’t want sympathy - instead I want people to feel comfortable talking about IBS, bowel issues, colonoscopies and etc with me. This is a topic that many are embarrassed to talk about, and it‘s with that embarrassment that causes people to brush their issues under the rug and hope they go away - the result of that can be terrible and sometimes deadly. I don’t mean to be preachy today, but I feel very passionately about getting these done.

So today I ask……

Have you had a colonoscopy?
If yes…..when was your last one?
(multiple choice)

*poll inspired by me having a colonoscopy this morning.

*no “other“ choice today

For Me……Before today - 2 years ago, which is great for me. I’m currently taking Entyvio, which is given to me through an IV every 8 weeks - it’s been life changing for me. You all don’t even want to know what I had to do before that - let’s just say it was not fun. But it was what it was - everything is bearable as long as you keep smiling and keep a positive outlook.

Keep in mind…you‘re never too young to get a colonoscopy. Last summer when DD20 was still 18, she was having issues and had her first colonoscopy and endoscopy done. She knows the importance of these and did not hesitate to get these done - she handled it like champ.

View attachment 787642
Very important to do and they are no big deal. Had my first one at 50 and due to family history went every 3 years. Last year at 62 had one and good news back on the every 5 year plan. I am weird in I kind of look forward to them. Get lots of good sleep cause of the drugs 8-)

I need to call. It's time, but last time, had such issues drinking the prep. Half of it came back up. Who do you call at 3 am? I so wish my dr used the pills. Reading threads here, some people mention not even taking anything special but just like double amount of normal over the counter stuff.
My prep is a small thing of Miralax mixed in with a 64 ounce container of gatorade oh and 4 ducolax pills. Easy Peasy

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy when I was around 10-12ish. I don't remember if it was for the GI issues or the anemia issues.

My prep is a small thing of Miralax mixed in with a 64 ounce container of gatorade oh and 4 ducolax pills. Easy Peasy
I wish I could do that.
If it was the flavor -I used liquidIV last time and it did make it easier. If it was the volume there isn't much you can do about that unfortunately
I hate the taste, but my stomach was churning and up it came. This wasn't my first one either. But first time with that reaction.

Oh, colon, colon, colon-o-scopy :dance3:
A wonderful procedure, I'm sure you will agree

Had my first at 50. Prep and after was the hardest thing for me
Not eating for a day was not a big deal to me
Prep part A, drinking the first batch of fluid at 5PM was easy
Prep part B was harder...getting up at 3 in the morning for the second batch of fluid - I was tired, and drinking it all a second time made me gag
Procedure early AM was fine, just a nice nap while it happened
I was thirsty, queasy, and groggy afterwards, slight dehydration headache
Didn't feel up to eating and drinking at first, made me nasuseous - I think it was the sedative
In the afternoon, after a nap, and after I replenished fluids, I felt fine

Last edited:
Never have not had one Yet. I have had barium swallow though twice…once as a child and once in my late 20s.

First one was in 2017 at age 39. I have had IBS since my teens and it suddenly got a lot worse over a period of 6 months. I had a diagnostic colonoscopy/endoscopy to rule out IBD and Celiac disease. Those were ruled out and it's just IBS, which is good and bad. Bad because there is no treatment for the type I have (mixed). But good, obviously, because it's not a progressive/damaging condition.

My husband will have his first colonoscopy in a couple weeks. He will be 45 later this year, but he also developed what seems to be severe IBS after his time in middle east combat zones over the last 10-15 years. IBS is a presumptive condition linked to time in service in this area of the world, but so is Chrohns/UC, so we need to rule those out. I'm glad he is finally getting this taken care of. It took him retiring out of the military and seeing civilian doctors to take this seriously. If he's all clear, he will be able to do the screening test until he turns 50.

Bowel issues are no joke. They can sideline your entire life. I talk about poo more than anyone else I know. It's an important part of your overall health.

I've had a couple, just recommended because of my age. No issues except a bit of vomiting my first time. Everything else was good.

I’ve had the procedure twice, once in combination with an endoscopy, due to ongoing GI issues. Next one not for a couple more years. The last prep I had wasn’t too bad, it was mixed in with powdered lemonade and tasted fine.

I had my last one 3 years ago. My next one is due in 2030 as I am on the 10 year exam schedule.
My wife is having one next week, her last one was 5 years ago as she is on a 5 year exam schedule due to some irritation they found in her intestine 5 years ago.
The differences in prep solutions amaze me. My first one I got the gallon jug of prep powder to mix with water and drink. The one 3 years ago I got two 16 ounce bottles of prep to drink. Very gentle prep with that.
My wife for next week got the one gallon jug of prep powder. She has a different Doctor than me, but he is in the same practice, so apparently not every Doctor in that practice uses the same prep method.

I've not had one yet, but I am turning 45 on Saturday and my doctor told me that when I came in for my next checkup, she wanted to get one scheduled since I would be 45.

Mine is scheduled for November along with endoscopy. I've had them (endo only past 2 times) either every 3 or 5 years , depending on what he finds, since I was 50, so almost 30 years now. Most often some polyps are found. My mom passed from colon cancer in her mid 80's. Doctor said that is not as much of a concern, though certainly some, compared to if she had been under age 60. Marie's; father passed from colon cancer, age 54. She gets hers every 3 or 5 years, again depending on findings. She just had her most recent in June.

At my age, the gastro did say this will be my final one, based on my age along with potential risks from my chronic heart and lung issues.

I too really enjoy my meal afterwards, usually a great breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter