So, are the park rental scooters too slow?

Bete

DIS Veteran
I believe I heard the scooters you rent at the parks have been altered to run slower. Is that true?

Also, if your family are fast walkers can you keep up with them with these slower scooters?

Do these park scooters really hinder you in anyway?

They are permanent turtle mode. You have to understand that 98% of the people who rent one in the parks not only do not normally use one, it’s is probably their first time ever using one. So Disney does their best to minimize collateral damage.

they’re huge, bulky and have crap steering. Far better to rent from off site if you need one. It’s less about keeping up and more about finding an open path that isn’t suddenly full of oblivious park goers who stop right in front of you, or swerve in your way without paying attention to their surroundings

They are so slow that they are more dangerous than if they left them with full speed available. Honestly, I am shocked anyone rents an in park scooter these days.

I guess the flip side is why you are considering a park scooter vs. off-site? If I had a 1 day visit for example, I don't think you can rent from offsite for 1 day (?) so getting a park scooter could be the only or cheapest option. If that's the case I'd get it and just factor in the turtle speed, difficult turning, etc. into my park plans and mindset and enjoy my day. I had to rent one at US/IOA (one day trip where I was a school chaperone - didn't have my own transportation, etc) and it was ok.

For me personally I'd also have to figure out the best way to get to the scooter rental point because my knees are really bad and this might be the bigger challenge!

WE rent the park scooters, and yes, they are slow. But that's a good thing to me. We only rent if we need one that day, so renting before hand would be a waste of money. We find that they are just fine at their slower speed. I wouldn't want to go any faster with the crowds and unaware people who step in front of you. I do wish they had faster brakes so we could stop on a dime because the people who step in front of you aren't paying attention to you.

Honestly, I am shocked anyone rents an in park scooter these days.

I used to wonder too, but then I found out-sometimes they're "first timers", who don't know about off-site rentals. Last time I was at WDW, I had a nice couple, he was on a park rental, stop and ask me about the one I was on, much smaller, an off-site rental. He found the park rental bulky and hard to maneuver, but as it was their first trip, he didn't know what else was available. And when I told him about the cost!
Also, a few of us (yes, I rented in park once) have made a sudden, last minute decision that they can't walk another step, and are unprepared to locate an off-site ECV.
Otherwise, I agree with you-Why?

WE rent the park scooters, and yes, they are slow. But that's a good thing to me. We only rent if we need one that day, so renting before hand would be a waste of money. We find that they are just fine at their slower speed. I wouldn't want to go any faster with the crowds and unaware people who step in front of you. I do wish they had faster brakes so we could stop on a dime because the people who step in front of you aren't paying attention to you.
The thing is you can get a week rental from off-site for about the cost of 2 or 3 days of in park rentals

The thing is you can get a week rental from off-site for about the cost of 2 or 3 days of in park rentals
I know! But we only use one if needed, and it's not every day and every park, so it would be a waste. If we needed one all the time, renting one would be the only way to go:)

if you are going to rent in park 2 days you might check the offsite cost, you might be surprised

LOL, if only it were that easy. I have to deal with a reluctant husband who I have to talk into one. He is very conscious of inconveniencing people when he is on the scooter. I KNOW that he would not want to use one and put it on the buses. He would definitely feel like he was inconveniencing someone or making them wait while he loads up. I will keep trying though - Never give upLOL. Maybe one day his mobility issues will convince him to use one all the time. I hope.

Yes, that surprised me. The very first time, I rented in-park scooters on 3 separate days. The next trip, I was there all week and knew I'd need a scooter, so I looked into renting for the week. Same total price as 3 days in-park.

Disney scooters are not only super slow, but don't corner worth crap. We had 5 people on scooters last trip. All of us had off site scooters except one. The one on the Disney scooter couldn't even navigate most queue lines. She would have to try 5-6 times to go around one corner. The rest of us zipped right through (FOP was especially hard for her). Not worth it

Disney scooters are not only super slow, but don't corner worth crap. We had 5 people on scooters last trip. All of us had off site scooters except one. The one on the Disney scooter couldn't even navigate most queue lines. She would have to try 5-6 times to go around one corner. The rest of us zipped right through (FOP was especially hard for her). Not worth it

Exactly right, they are horrible at corners and I always had a hard time keeping up with my fast walking family. Plus, if you are going to be in the park more than 2 days, it's cheaper to rent off site.

So you guys are the quintessential Scooter Gang I’ve been hearing so much about.

LOL, if only it were that easy. I have to deal with a reluctant husband who I have to talk into one. He is very conscious of inconveniencing people when he is on the scooter. I KNOW that he would not want to use one and put it on the buses. He would definitely feel like he was inconveniencing someone or making them wait while he loads up. I will keep trying though - Never give upLOL. Maybe one day his mobility issues will convince him to use one all the time. I hope.
The only people he really will inconvenience is other people behind him that are in ECVs, as they will have to wait for another bus. And as someone that this could affect, I say do what you can to be comfortable. DH used to be the same way, but finally gave in one trip and it made all the difference, he can't imagine trying to not use it for the trip now.

Yes, that surprised me. The very first time, I rented in-park scooters on 3 separate days. The next trip, I was there all week and knew I'd need a scooter, so I looked into renting for the week. Same total price as 3 days in-park.
We just went to SeaWorld San Diego today and they are now charging $96.60 per day to rent! Needless to say that came as a shock.

They always seem to be the first ones to raise prices out here and the other theme parks and zoos tend to match or come close. So, I think we may see that trend continue, hopefully not to the east coast. But since most theme parks and zoos across the country use Scooterbug for their in park rentals, DH and I are thinking this is going to be the new normal across the country shortly.

We just went to SeaWorld San Diego today and they are now charging $96.60 per day to rent! Needless to say that came as a shock.

They always seem to be the first ones to raise prices out here and the other theme parks and zoos tend to match or come close. So, I think we may see that trend continue, hopefully not to the east coast. But since most theme parks and zoos across the country use Scooterbug for their in park rentals, DH and I are thinking this is going to be the new normal across the country shortly.

If that’s the case, might as well as buy your own personal mobility device.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter