So lemme get this straight...

... So Cinderella's Castle is under refurb until "Spring 2019"...

I should have clarified - Nighttime parades.And fireworks - I'm thinking the normal HEE which obviously cant be shown due to the Caste being covered...

Just to clarify for those following: Cinderella's Castle and HEA are both in MK, at WDW. I don't know if either are being refurbed right now -- that would be something to check on the WDW board.
Sleeping Beauty's Castle is currently undergoing a refurbishment until at least March. No official end date has been announced yet. As previous posters have stated, Mickey's Mix Magic is the current nighttime show (viewed from the castle, Main Street, ROA, and IASW), with fireworks shown on certain nights. MMM has been running every night since Jan. 18th, even with the castle under wraps. And we saw the show from the castle the other night -- the projections and lasers are being shown on/from the castle just fine.

Last edited:
Just to clarify for those following: Cinderella's Castle and HEA are both in MK, at WDW. I don't know if either are being refurbed right now -- that would be something to check on the WDW board.
Sleeping Beauty's Castle is currently undergoing a refurbishment until at least March. No official end date has been announced yet. As previous posters have stated, Mickey's Mix Magic is the current nighttime show (viewed from the castle, Main Street, ROA, and IASW), with fireworks shown on certain nights. MMM has been running every night since Jan. 18th, even with the castle under wraps. And we saw the show from the castle the other night -- the projections and lasers are being shown on/from the castle just fine.
I thought the PP was getting confused, but the WDW MK fireworks show is HEA - Happily Ever After. And it is really good. MK fireworks finally caught up with DL's. And maybe surpassed it.

To the OP and a few others, first I am bummed when things are being refurbed. In the bigger picture, the issue of DLR and refurbs is well known. Jan-March (right after holiday season), along with September and to some degree October (right after summer season) are notorious for refurbs. For example, see:

"Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36509602

"What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

WOC is an outlier and has been down since last April, and it is not a refurb.

When DLR has a refurb that is going to take longer than 3 months, they almost always will do it starting in January, and Spring Break is the peak season that is most likely to be affected by refurbs. Again this is well known and anyone can find this out who bothers to do just a little research.

We still do not know if Fantasmic or SB's castle will open for Spring Break. My guess is they will, or at least for the April part of Spring Break. If not, then that is disappointing. Nevertheless, DL's Fantasmic is not like WDW's and has it's own stadium. It is in DL and on the ROA. It went down for like 2 years when Disney was re-routing the ROA to build Star Wars Land just a couple years ago. Any work on the River means F! goes down.

Again, there is nothing super out of the ordinary here except for WOC. The knowledge shared in my links above is extremely clear, with dates provided, of when to plan your DLR visit to avoid refurbs.

I wish anyone going during this time to have the best visit possible.

:wizard:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the correction -- editing my post to reflect that. (Can you tell I haven't seen MK's show yet?!)
LOL, no worries. For many years MK had "Wishes" which frankly did not hold a candle to the great shows at DL like Remember Dreams Come True and DL Forever. I actually felt kind of sorry for WDW vets who gushed about Wishes and had all this nostalgia for a show that was far behind DL's shows. Now that MK has HEA, which is kind of like DL Forever, I think they finally can compete with DL. But DL does not have RDCT or DLF now, so HEA IMO is clearly the best show. Good for them. And kind of sad for DL. When is DL going to put together another great fireworks show?

LOL, no worries. For many years MK had "Wishes" which frankly did not hold a candle to the great shows at DL like Remember Dreams Come True and DL Forever. I actually felt kind of sorry for WDW vets who gushed about Wishes and had all this nostalgia for a show that was far behind DL's shows. Now that MK has HEA, which is kind of like DL Forever, I think they finally can compete with DL. But DL does not have RDCT or DLF now, so HEA IMO is clearly the best show. Good for them. And kind of sad for DL. When is DL going to put together another great fireworks show?

Wishes and Dreams Come True were basically the same show. I actually prefer Wishes. But I definitely don't think you can say one is far above the other. Disneyland Forever is the greatest Fireworks show I've ever seen though.

As for all these refurbs, I'm not giving up hope some of them will finish by March/April.

Honestly how can you expect people to work out their trips with that info when Disney doesnt release it until weeks before? A vast majority cant wait to book leave from work, flights, hotels etc with less than 6 weeks notice...

I wasn't exactly referring to just the refurbs but in general. I know people who tell me they are going to DL as a first time or after they have not been in a while and when i ask questions like if they have hoppers, MM, EMH,or if they are aware of things going on in the park they usually do not. A very good friend of mine told me they were planning on going in March and I asked if they were getting the limited special tickets to which they had no idea what i was talking about. Thanks to DIS boards i have learned a lot about planning a trip to Disney and I try to help anyone that will ask.

Like I said i would totally be bummed if this was my first trip and the castle was closed off. But I would already know this ahead of time by checking the schedule and would find a way to still make the trip special not having a photo or walk through of the castle would not ruin my trip. There are people who rather complain and line up at city hall and there are people who would just use the extra time to go on more rides.

Before anyone says anything yes i do think people should comment to Disney and let them know if something was not up to their expectation or if something ruined your trip. I do understand that we all expect different things from our trip to DL and some can only make that trip once every few years or once in a lifetime but DL is my happy place and any trip i take is well worth it.

We were there this weekend and fireworks were done and so was fantasmic which i believe was the last few shows. I mean they put their schedule up and let us know what is being refurbished and we can either choose to go or wait for more shows and night time entertainment to come on. Im not much of a parade watcher unless its one i haven't seen and fireworks ill watch if i'm in the park at the time but its no big deal to me since i do go at least once a year. We do have a few favorite must do rides if they are down we move our dates.

I did mention to my husband how i wouldn't want it to be my first trip there and have the castle being refurbished. Is crazy how many people plan a trip and not look at the schedule for closures or hours or other important info.

See, I did look at the closures prior to booking - for as far ahead as I could before flight prices jumped up (we waited longer this year than I was comfortable with in fact just to keep an eye on closures and updates). We went last year in Jan, fully expecting there to be a ton of refurbs, but had THE BEST TIME! (The castle was behind a wall for that trip as well). Once we got back, I watched religiously when things like Splash came back, hours got extended, and the list of things under refurb went down. We booked early March based on last year and based on the fact that we aren't touching SWDE for at least a few years. I don't think it's fair to assume those of us who are disappointed didn't a least try to do their due diligence and avoid a mass of closures. A lot of things like the castle and Space weren't announced until very recently, which for me is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Will we still have an awesome time? Of course we will!

True, but the thing is, refurb lists are only released a few weeks ahead of time. Most people have already booked flights and hotels by then in order to secure the best rates. So I actually have a lot of empathy for those who planned their first trip for this year, only to find out after everything is set that the castle will be under scrim.

This! I was crushed that we won't be able to see the castle again! Maybe someday! :)

Wishes and Dreams Come True were basically the same show. I actually prefer Wishes. But I definitely don't think you can say one is far above the other. Disneyland Forever is the greatest Fireworks show I've ever seen though.

As for all these refurbs, I'm not giving up hope some of them will finish by March/April.
I have to disagree about Wishes and RDCT. The only thing in common is RDCT used the song from Wishes for a small part of the show. RDCT was a total celebration of DL's 50 years of rides, with a little bit of DCA thrown in (DCA was only 4 years old at the time of DL's 50th in 2005). Wishes was about, well, wishes, for lack of a better word. A nice show. But IMO not a standout in any way especially compared to HEA. HEA rocks IMO! :)

Regardless, I hope we can all agree that MK has finally nailed a modern, Disney fireworks show. Now if DL can get back on track or just bring back DLF that would be great! I felt HEA and DLF were both excellent and roughly equivalent as far as quality.

For those who have not seen DLF, for the record it was created for DL's 60th anniversary in 2015 and ran for about a year or maybe 18 months.

Just for a little perspective, this is what we saw on our last trip 4 years ago. As well as the rail road being down, Matterhorn down, walls everywhere in both parks, and whatever else was under refurb before the 60th. We will be back in 11 days and though we will miss F! and WOC and were really hoping to see PTN instead of Soundsational, we are super excited about this trip! We’ll get to do some things we've missed in the past and try some new things too!

Attachments

• F1921DC5-EE59-4512-8477-8304261C42AF.jpeg
    F1921DC5-EE59-4512-8477-8304261C42AF.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 65
I don't think it's fair to assume those of us who are disappointed didn't a least try to do their due diligence and avoid a mass of closures. A lot of things like the castle and Space weren't announced until very recently, which for me is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Will we still have an awesome time? Of course we will!
Definitely understand people being disappointed I would be too. I wasn't assuming that the people who are disappointed did not plan well but rather saying how i know actual people that do not plan and just kind of go to the parks with out planning or doing a bit of research and just buy their tickets at the booth or stay at a hotel that they think is close but is actually further and when they come back they will complain to me about how it wasn't that great and then i feel sad inside because I think everyone should have a wonderful time at Disneyland.

Great to hear you will have an awesome time despite the circumstances!!:flower1:

Just for a little perspective, this is what we saw on our last trip 4 years ago. As well as the rail road being down, Matterhorn down, walls everywhere in both parks, and whatever else was under refurb for the 60th. We will be back in 11 days and though we will miss F! and WOC and were really hoping to see PTN instead of Soundsational, we are super excited about this trip! We’ll get to do some things we've missed in the past and try some new things too!
OMG. That is way worse than what they have now. It think its pretty funny and i'm sure my siblings and I would have taken many pictures in front of that castle.
We were there for the 60th but I guess we went at the right time.

When we made our first (supposed to be only) trip, I chose Sept/Oct based on the fact that of the two "slow" seasons, I had heard it would have far fewer refurbs. I think it's because there's a smaller gap between the end of Summer and the beginning of Halloween Time than there is between Christmas and Summer. The Spring slow season is longer so it's when they try to cram in all the work. That problem is compounded this year because they are probably not anticipating having a Fall "slow" time at all with SWGE opening. This year there's really no way around it - it's either go before SWGE with lots of refurbs, or go after and deal with Star Wars mania. I wish there were a way around it. Our solution was to stay away this year and wait to see what next year brings.

Let me guess...you are local, or local enough that you get to go regularly? It makes it a lot easier to brush off as "oh well"

Disney may have been planning on refurbing the castle for some time, but they didnt let anyone know until a few weeks ago.
They may not have planned on WOC to be down, but they are choosing to take down F! before its prepared. They may be selling promotional tickets, but for those visiting early in the promo trips were locked in and tickets bought before that was announced.

I mean the whole "everything has to be perfect for GE" dont buy it, the Starwars fans are coming whether F! is running or not, and they are coming to see SB castle...

Honestly how can you expect people to work out their trips with that info when Disney doesnt release it until weeks before? A vast majority cant wait to book leave from work, flights, hotels etc with less than 6 weeks notice...

Disneyland is primarily a locals park and locals don't plan out their day at Disneyland in advance so Disneyland doesn't feel the need to announce things in advance the same way other parks would. All of the locals (and many not so local but who have insider knowledge) know winter/spring is refurb season and they knew this year would be a real bad one. Not as bad as the 60th anniversary year imho, but still real bad.

Disneyland wants the parks looking and operating as well as possible this summer because the locals won't tolerate a half #@* park the same way tourists at other parks might. But most importantly to capitalize on the opportunity of bringing millions of Star Wars nerds from all over the world into the Disney fold. Tons of nerdy Star Wars people, who don't care very much about Disney, but love Star Wars and have loved it their entire lives. Having those people come to Disneyland for the first time is an incredible business opportunity for Disneyland to capitalize on. Disney wants to convert them, and their kids, into Disneyland nuts so they will come back again and again $$$$. But everything at Disneyland needs be perfect to do that and Disneyland is very concerned about that right now (lots of rumors going around).

Disneyland also needs things in great shape for social media and SoCal media. I don't think those types will tolerate another weak opening like Pixar Pier again. If things are not great all around the land, and especially at SW/GE, they might rip into Disney like never before and current Disney management has shown it doesn't handle bad press very well. So a lot is riding on these winter/spring refurbs but unfortunately some people who didn't know about it may end up Disneyland road kill and walk away feeling cheated. If so I hope they convey their feelings to Disneyland in an email. If enough people complain they will pay attention.

Last edited:
WOC being down should have forced Disney to keep Fantasmic! up or run PTN parade in DCA to disperse crowds. To only have ONE nighttime show for the entire resort will be such a nightmare for crowds, especially weekends. To me it just sounds like extremely poor management on Disney.

I do wish they publish more further out, some of these are regular scheduled things they knew about for months/years.
I am okay with refurbs, but it would be nice to pick and choose a bit more so we can avoid personal priorities.
If they did more of that in good faith, I would give them a big pass for the rest.

I have to disagree about Wishes and RDCT. The only thing in common is RDCT used the song from Wishes for a small part of the show. RDCT was a total celebration of DL's 50 years of rides, with a little bit of DCA thrown in (DCA was only 4 years old at the time of DL's 50th in 2005). Wishes was about, well, wishes, for lack of a better word. A nice show. But IMO not a standout in any way especially compared to HEA. HEA rocks IMO! :)

Regardless, I hope we can all agree that MK has finally nailed a modern, Disney fireworks show. Now if DL can get back on track or just bring back DLF that would be great! I felt HEA and DLF were both excellent and roughly equivalent as far as quality.

For those who have not seen DLF, for the record it was created for DL's 60th anniversary in 2015 and ran for about a year or maybe 18 months.

I completely agree with this.

I am not surprised about the various rides going down and the castle being down because I know this is the season for it. I'm saving a ton of money with no WOC dessert party, PtN and F! dinner packages but I understand the reticence because the people who normally get a spot a couple hours early will be in the ride lines instead. We will have a blast either way. I will not be in Buffalo with 1 degree weather and snow to shovel, I will be in DL!!!!

on the Fireworks: In all the years I have been going to DL I never sat through a fireworks show; I figured I had better things to do. Then I sat through DLF and it was a GAME changer. I didn't think fireworks could cause such an emotional response in me. I will plan to sit through any major show in the future. pixiedust:

on the Fireworks: In all the years I have been going to DL I never sat through a fireworks show; I figured I had better things to do. Then I sat through DLF and it was a GAME changer. I didn't think fireworks could cause such an emotional response in me. I will plan to sit through any major show in the future. pixiedust:
Same thing happened to me for RDCT in 2005. I always planned to do rides during fireworks shows. But RDCT was new and I read great things about it. Once I saw it, I was hooked. Then DLF came and it was another incredible show. At the same time as Paint the Night parade which was the best Disney parade ever. Where have you gone PTN???

I guess now I am a bit of snob on such shows. Or just spoiled by RDCT and DLF (and PTN and WOC). Wishes at MK made me yawn. OK, nice, relaxing music. But only OK. HEA? As I said, MK nailed it.

Yeah...spring break isn't true peak season for Disneyland. It's crowded, but not crowded enough compared to other times. Peak is late June-early August, sort of October, and mid-November-December.

I know it stinks, especially for first-timers, but Disneyland does this almost every year. My family goes frequently and we just accept that if we go in spring, things will be refurb'd.

That being said, fireworks and F! are going. And if you've been to WDW before, you'll likely be underwhelmed by our little Sleeping Beauty castle anyway. Don't let refurb ruin your trip. I find that you get from your trip what you want. You can go in with a good attitude and enjoy the experience at being at the original park, or you can dwell on vacation plans not being perfect and be miserable. I personally have never had a bad day at Disneyland and I've been over 50, possibly over 100 times. There's plenty to do at DL without the extras. More time to take in the attractions, food, and scenery.

Last edited:
We are WDW regulars, and are only going to DL because we happen to be traveling west. We are going for the first time in mid-April in between Palm Sunday and Easter. It will most likely be a one and done trip for us. I doubt that we will be going out west again. It will be a real shame if the castle is being refurbished when we go.

324826B6-1E02-44C5-964F-8192607E0FAE.jpeg

By any chance were you at Wdw for this?

I would take a closed castle over this any time.

Honestly how can you expect people to work out their trips with that info when Disney doesnt release it until weeks before?

I don’t remember them taking that long to publish long-planned things.

I just booked my plane tickets for Princess the other day, fwiw. Got a good price and the times I wanted! So not everyone books air very early.

For many years MK had "Wishes" which frankly did not hold a candle to the great shows at DL like Remember Dreams Come True and DL Forever.

True.

I wanted to yawn and file my nails during wishes.

Disneyland is primarily a locals park and locals

Everyone says that, but apart from the one Diva trip I took I’ve never met a local there. Everyone I’ve ever spoken to randomly in line has been from elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter