So what did your flight cost?-

Totally agree, I'm in Oakville also and not a chance would I attempt.
The border waits can be bad at anytime but on a Friday Saturday and holiday weekend factored in, not a chance. :confused3

Also chiming in with my agreement. I live near those borders and have my whole life. I avoid holiday weekends like the plague, and if I had to I'd build in a 2 hour cushion just to sit at the border on top of the drive time.
We used to go to Lake Placid every Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. We'd leave a day early to avoid waits crossing over, and we pretty much just sat at a dead stop at the Peace Bridge for at least 1.5 to 2 hours coming home.

ETA) and while I can't confirm this, I would expect heightened security these days, and would bet my last dollar that it's making the waits even longer.

Thanks for everyone's comments, basically confirms cross-boarder departure is out. Definitely not worth the risk of missing a flight. I'd prefer to get in at midnight then not at all.

We just booked Calgary to Orlando RT from January 21-31. We could have gone for just under $500.00, but we booked $510.00 per person, which is fairly good from Calgary. The slightly more expensive flights allowed us to choose better layovers and departure times!

So, United just changed our departure time out if Calgary, which defeated the purpose of booking a little earlier than I typically would. We wanted a little bit later departure, so that we wouldn't have to be up in the middle of the night, but they moved us from an 8:50AM to a 6:40AM flight out of Calgary. So that will be a tough travel day for us! Now instead of a 1.5 hour layover in Houston, we will be camped out for nearly 4 hours. Not ideal with two young boys!

Is there another flight they can put you on instead? I would be livid!!! It drives me nuts that airlines charge us an arm and a leg if we need to change something but they can do it at any time

Is there another flight they can put you on instead? I would be livid!!! It drives me nuts that airlines charge us an arm and a leg if we need to change something but they can do it at any time

I just got off the phone and had no luck. If I wanted to play around with my reservations at all, it would be at least $200.00 per ticket for the change fee. There is an earlier flight out of Houston the same day, so my only option is to request standy-by on that flight when I check in for my original one. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either. As long as we make it to Orlando sometime that day!

We are planning our August 2015 trip to WDW, IOA, US & DC and already have our villa booked, made a preliminary booking for our car rental and now just need to book our flights. (thanks to whoever it was that suggested skyscanner their car rates were fantastic!):cool1::cool1:

Now I know its a bit early but I am not having much luck for prices from Buffalo to either McCoy ($316) or Tampa around ($417) or Detroit to the same locations for around $339 MCO & $249 Tampa.

This is our first time going at this of the year so wanted some input as to what you thought of these prices?

Thanks

We are planning our August 2015 trip to WDW, IOA, US & DC and already have our villa booked, made a preliminary booking for our car rental and now just need to book our flights. (thanks to whoever it was that suggested skyscanner their car rates were fantastic!):cool1::cool1:

Now I know its a bit early but I am not having much luck for prices from Buffalo to either McCoy ($316) or Tampa around ($417) or Detroit to the same locations for around $339 MCO & $249 Tampa.

This is our first time going at this of the year so wanted some input as to what you thought of these prices?

Thanks

If you can get a flight for $249 RT you should jump on that....you're not likely to do much better. I got a great deal this past August and paid $233 from BUF to MCO but we traveled at the very end of Aug and came back in Sept. A week earlier and the fare would have been over $100 higher.

We go to FL nearly every year in August and it's become more popular than it used to be. The fares have gone up a fair bit and now we are also contending with a few extra bucks in exchange rate. The prediction is that our dollar will drop a little more over the next year. So that's also something to factor in to the cost of flying from a US airport.

We are planning our August 2015 trip to WDW, IOA, US & DC and already have our villa booked, made a preliminary booking for our car rental and now just need to book our flights. (thanks to whoever it was that suggested skyscanner their car rates were fantastic!):cool1::cool1: Now I know its a bit early but I am not having much luck for prices from Buffalo to either McCoy ($316) or Tampa around ($417) or Detroit to the same locations for around $339 MCO & $249 Tampa. This is our first time going at this of the year so wanted some input as to what you thought of these prices? Thanks
You can get DTW to MCO for the end of Aug at $270 pp round trip on Delta right now. I paid only $200 pp for the same week last year but I lucked out & booked on the single lowest day to book Detroit to Florida. I later found a graph online DTW to Miami for 2013 & Dec 26th was the lowest day to book for Aug (around the time we booked our WDW package for 2014). ETA graph...

http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel...s-can-a-flight-price-really-change-135-times/

Thanks for the input. I checked out the cheapair blog and it has some interesting information.

I have skyscanner monitoring the prices for me and if the Tampa one holds for another couple of weeks I will book it. My only problem with it is the return flight time is leaving Tampa at 8am and I don't want to leave the magic that early pixiedust:

Oh noooo!! Sorry ...for a spur of the moment Disney trip in January ..sorrrry

:rotfl2:No problem. Just had an email from Jet Blue to say that they are posting their flights for up to Sept 2015 on Sunday so will start looking again then.

Booked yyz-mco back in sept, for our up coming Jan/15 trip. AC rouge, $349.00 ea, complete. I compared around and this was the best price with the times/dates that we wanted.

Booked yyz-mco back in sept, for our up coming Jan/15 trip. AC rouge, $349.00 ea, complete. I compared around and this was the best price with the times/dates that we wanted.

That's an awesome deal. We paid $560 per person for out Oct trip.

I find flights from Winnipeg so frustrating! It isn't even $30 cheaper to fly to Minneapolis (where my friend would fly me free to Orlando) than it is just to fly directly to Orlando. Canadians just don't get these great seat sales or cheap flights like the Americans get. :sad2:

I ended up booking using Airmiles for Nov 14-23 Toronto to Orlando. I booked in August and at the time the flights were $450-$550 depending on the time. I only live 15 km from the airport so it has to be significantly cheaper for me to fly out of Buffalo and it was still $380 each out of Buffalo.

Two weeks ago got YOW to MCO in March for $340 on Air Canada. Very happy with the price!

Just booked a last minute trip to WDW in December. Flying WestJet YYZ/MCO round trip, direct/nonstop - $361 each all taxes in. Better then expected 30 days out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter