Soarin' Around the World

Well...first of all I'm from California too so I LOVED the first one! the second one is pretty and you have some interesting affects in it but I've seen it a dozen times at Disney land and NEVER noticed any CGI. Wonder if it's different out there or maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention? I DO want the old one back....seems like they could split the theaters for one or the other.

Well...first of all I'm from California too so I LOVED the first one! the second one is pretty and you have some interesting affects in it but I've seen it a dozen times at Disney land and NEVER noticed any CGI. Wonder if it's different out there or maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention? I DO want the old one back....seems like they could split the theaters for one or the other.

The only difference between the two is the final scene. CGI abounds in both, different people have different perceptions of it.

I've said it before and I"ll say it again....I hate that hawk or eagle or falcon...or whatever pterodactyl shrieking transition that is! ...not good with the small plane either. ...but hate the bird.

I did like the new one, but I know what you mean about the transitions. They were more intense for what is usually a relaxing ride for me. I found the old version was relaxing.

They should do one for each state in the country, and then it's random which state you see. That won't take them too long to produce....(sarcasm!)

I like the new one well enough, but I felt like something was missing. We all missed the smells from the old Soarin'. I liked seeing images from around the world, but it seemed like I was just watching it on TV at home or something...I'm not sure how to describe it really. Having been to California and Disneyland many times during our 22 years in the military, we really enjoyed the old movie because of the ties to Cali. I can see why WDW changed it, but the old one seemed to feel real and the new one just seems like I'm flipping through pictures on my laptop .

They should do one for each state in the country, and then it's random which state you see. That won't take them too long to produce....(sarcasm!)

Plus, 2 % of the time you'll get this one
waynes-delaware-hiwere-in-delaware.jpg

Loved the old Soarin', but love the new one too. Being partly computer generated does not bother me, and the distortions only slightly.

Maybe just me, but I still smell the oranges slightly! :)

I like the new one well enough, but I felt like something was missing. We all missed the smells from the old Soarin'. I liked seeing images from around the world, but it seemed like I was just watching it on TV at home or something...I'm not sure how to describe it really. Having been to California and Disneyland many times during our 22 years in the military, we really enjoyed the old movie because of the ties to Cali. I can see why WDW changed it, but the old one seemed to feel real and the new one just seems like I'm flipping through pictures on my laptop .
Yes, I know what you mean. It's because I can't get into feeling the possibility of really"soarin" over much of the new scenes.

Last edited:
We were able to ride the new Soarin four times this trip, and while I loved it, I do still prefer the original one. Luckily, I have a candle from Bath and Body Works called "Suede and Bergamot" that to me smells exactly like the old Soarin, so I can light it whenever I get to missing the old one, lol.

I agree, I don't think they are strong either, but it did seem like there were more scents than in the original(although it's been a few years since I have ridden that one so I may not be remembering correctly).

The CGI makes it possible for the hidden Mickey's...saw 2 last time when I was looking for them..

I'm not a fan of the new one. It's lost the feel of "soaring" through the scenes. Now I just feel like I'm looking at a picture instead of hang gliding over a golf course and the ocean. Plus, after riding the Flight of Passage, Soarin' becomes really disappointing. Can they change Soarin' to be like the FoP?

I don't like the new Soarin as much as the old one. It looks way too computer generated to me in a lot of places. Soarin used to be my favorite Disney ride...not so any more. I still like it, but wouldn't be terribly disappointed if I had to miss it for some reason.

I absolutely agree! I LOVED the original ... used to tell people it was like a religious experience (lol). The new version is a disappointment (IMHO) :sad2:
. I found myself rolling my eyes at all the CGI. Anyway ... just my 2 cents ... I'll still ride it, but miss the original.

I've never been on Soarin' because I have a tendency to get motion sick, so I'm a little scared of it. DH wants to try it this trip. What's the verdict from people who have done it? For reference, I get pretty nauseated on Star Tours (it passes after about an hour and some food) but I'm perfectly fine on Tower of Terror/Rock N Roller Coaster type rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter