SSR Renovations

There are approximately 21 SSR refurbishment threads, but imma call this the main one and ask - can anyone here validate this? I haven’t seen permits filed for The Carousel. 525999

There are approximately 21 SSR refurbishment threads, but imma call this the main one and ask - can anyone here validate this? I haven’t seen permits filed for The Carousel. View attachment 525999
That seems awfully quick to me with as slowly as they were working on Congress Park... To have finished The Springs in what, 3 months? And now moving on to 2 new areas? I have no firsthand knowledge, but it seems fishy to me.

That seems awfully quick to me with as slowly as they were working on Congress Park... To have finished The Springs in what, 3 months? And now moving on to 2 new areas? I have no firsthand knowledge, but it seems fishy to me.
They did CP 2 buildings at a time and had to stop work at one point due to the fire code drama. They are now working 3 buildings at a time with reservations down.

They did CP 2 buildings at a time and had to stop work at one point due to the fire code drama. They are now working 3 buildings at a time with reservations down.
Maybe then- could be the fire code stuff made it seem even more drawn out. I just remember being there in July 2019 when they started CP and they hadn't moved on to The Springs until just before the shut down. I HOPE they are moving that quickly- it would be nice to have it finish up sooner!

Going to Carousel next would make sense in that it is the least requested and close to the Paddock as far as placement of materials.

I think SSR always was the most lacking in a theme. I've never been to Saratoga NY though so maybe it perfectly represented the norm there.

At least the new design doesn't look gray, blue and beachy.
It looks very much like Saratoga Springs, NY. The colors of the buildings and the turrets and cupolas. Lakes with fountains, the Grandstand area. etc. I just think the theme is not one everyone recognizes. When Disney themes a resort they do extensive research into architecture, colors, trim etc.

Attachments

• SaratogaSpringsNY.jpg
    SaratogaSpringsNY.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It looks very much like Saratoga Springs, NY. The colors of the buildings and the turrets and cupolas. Lakes with fountains, the Grandstand area. etc. I just think the theme is not one everyone recognizes. When Disney themes a resort they do extensive research into architecture, colors, trim etc.

And indigenous trees- you won’t see any palms in SSR. These details go over most people’s heads.

I agree it looks and feels very much like SS, NY. We lived in that area for a few years. It is a beautiful area of the country, but for us it has a forgotten almost stale feel, and the first time we went to DVC SSR, dh and I laughed that Disney had really nailed SS/upstate NY/small city New England. The inside of the rooms as well. We commented that the one thing lacking was an actual stable where you could take a riding lesson. We have only seen pictures of the new renovations, and they do look lovely, but now I think people who are critical of the theme are correct. The new room renovations are not on point with the theme. SS NY has an interesting vibe because it really is in upstate New York but it has a lot of money. For me, it has a crossroads feel, and feels very upstate and removed from the hustle but has some slickness and sophistication coming up from NYC but then also has this old fashioned, untouched almost Victorian era New England feel coming from the East. Not complaining, but those new renovations do not remind me of SS springs or the region at all. The outside architecture and landscaping is still compelling but the resort does seem more soulless now. Unfortunately, they seem to be doing this to other resorts too. I am all for renovations but the creativity is what makes Disney special.

I agree it looks and feels very much like SS, NY. We lived in that area for a few years. It is a beautiful area of the country, but for us it has a forgotten almost stale feel, and the first time we went to DVC SSR, dh and I laughed that Disney had really nailed SS/upstate NY/small city New England. The inside of the rooms as well. We commented that the one thing lacking was an actual stable where you could take a riding lesson. We have only seen pictures of the new renovations, and they do look lovely, but now I think people who are critical of the theme are correct. The new room renovations are not on point with the theme. SS NY has an interesting vibe because it really is in upstate New York but it has a lot of money. For me, it has a crossroads feel, and feels very upstate and removed from the hustle but has some slickness and sophistication coming up from NYC but then also has this old fashioned, untouched almost Victorian era New England feel coming from the East. Not complaining, but those new renovations do not remind me of SS springs or the region at all. The outside architecture and landscaping is still compelling but the resort does seem more soulless now. Unfortunately, they seem to be doing this to other resorts too. I am all for renovations but the creativity is what makes Disney special.
I’ll agree that the room renovations at SSR lost true Saratoga Springs New York feel. But let’s be honest, the vast majority of people who stayed in those rooms didn’t like them. There was too much of that green. It wasn’t the best green color either. Most of my family do not like staying at AKV, because the rooms are so dark. We stayed in a SV 1 bedroom too. The theming is great, but people in general like lighter colors. Disney can’t make a room that pleases everyone, so they have to design them that pleases the most. I think the newly renovated rooms will appeal to a lot more people at SSR

I’ll agree that the room renovations at SSR lost true Saratoga Springs New York feel. But let’s be honest, the vast majority of people who stayed in those rooms didn’t like them. There was too much of that green. It wasn’t the best green color either. Most of my family do not like staying at AKV, because the rooms are so dark. We stayed in a SV 1 bedroom too. The theming is great, but people in general like lighter colors. Disney can’t make a room that pleases everyone, so they have to design them that pleases the most. I think the newly renovated rooms will appeal to a lot more people at SSR
I have family in Saratoga Springs; I think Saratoga Springs the renovated resort is now higher end if you will than Saratoga Springs the place. Not that there's anything wrong with Saratoga Springs the place.

The rooms look nice to me. I just wish they had kept some more theme!

On the outside I think it's more obvious. My comment was regarding the decor on the inside of the rooms. Although still would be nice to have grazing horses outside. :)

And our family likes the dark themes where they are. It's restful compared to the hot sunshine and hub bub of WDW. The light themes are good where they are too as it's nice to have differences for different tastes.

I'll disagree here. What Disney unique and special and magical (to me) was the fact that they didn't try to make things that "pleases the most." While this seems to be less and less what Disney is doing, what I've always loved about it is its dedication to imagination and theming and really trying to transport you somewhere else, even in its hotels. Not everyone will love grand victorian elegance of the Grand Floridian, but that's okay -- perhaps you love the grand old National Park Lodges that inspired the Wilderness Lodge (me! own at both BRV & CCV). Or maybe you'd rather the bright and colorful Caribbean Beach. If I wanted hotels that pleased the most, I'd just stay offsite at a Marriott or Hilton or Hyatt (no offense to those brands, mind you, as I have in fact stayed at many of them around the world!). I come to Disney to feel transported away. The Animal Kingdom Lodge may be dark, but it absolutely makes me think of being in an African Lodge and I love that. It's WHY I love it and why I own there as well.

I'll disagree here. What Disney unique and special and magical (to me) was the fact that they didn't try to make things that "pleases the most." While this seems to be less and less what Disney is doing, what I've always loved about it is its dedication to imagination and theming and really trying to transport you somewhere else, even in its hotels. Not everyone will love grand victorian elegance of the Grand Floridian, but that's okay -- perhaps you love the grand old National Park Lodges that inspired the Wilderness Lodge (me! own at both BRV & CCV). Or maybe you'd rather the bright and colorful Caribbean Beach. If I wanted hotels that pleased the most, I'd just stay offsite at a Marriott or Hilton or Hyatt (no offense to those brands, mind you, as I have in fact stayed at many of them around the world!). I come to Disney to feel transported away. The Animal Kingdom Lodge may be dark, but it absolutely makes me think of being in an African Lodge and I love that. It's WHY I love it and why I own there as well.
You put this a lot better than I did!

I do think they are going with what they feel appeals to the masses because people are so freaking vocal now about complaining. There is no room style they will please everyone so I guess they go with something in the middle. Honestly if I am at Disney I don't really care. We don't stay long enough for it to bother me, whether it is light, dark or in between. We really liked the decor at Copper Creek and it was blasted too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter