Starboard or Port Side - Disney Dream - 13 Nt Translantic Cruise

lat

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
Hi, can someone help me with the stateroom selection? I can't figure out why all the rooms on the starboard side are mostly gone. Is that the side we should pick because it has more view when getting close to the land? Thank you!!!!

We had a starboard room on our 13 night EB transatlantic cruise in May.

Ponta Delgada - We faced away from the dock
Lisbon - We faced away from the dock, but had great view of Lisbon when we left
Cadiz - We faced away from dock
Malaga - We overlooked the dock
Cartagena - We overlooked the dock
Barcelona - We faced away from the dock.

I can't tell you whether there was an advantage one way or another. We did, however, have great views coming into port each morning.

You can check out my trip report here for our views!

We are starboard just because it is one of the rooms we always choose and we are used to leaving the room and knowing which way to go when we want to go up or down. Lol. That’s all our decision has to do with.

Hi, can someone help me with the stateroom selection? I can't figure out why all the rooms on the starboard side are mostly gone. Is that the side we should pick because it has more view when getting close to the land? Thank you!!!!
If you are looking on the DCL website, the search engine will only show a limited number of staterooms in the category you picked, going by ascending cabin number. Since all the starboard side cabins have higher numbers, they often do not show up on the site if there are plenty of staterooms left. It doesn’t mean they are not available. You need to call DCL or a TA to book one.

Got it, I just booked my room with Costco. Same thing, the room is not showing up on Costco's website. I asked the agent if she could check because it showed available on DCL website. She was able to get it for us. Thank you so much!!

I'm always one to choose starboard because that's the side I like.

However, for the 13 nights transatlantic next year, I chose the port side because I read somewhere that on Eastbound transatlantic, it may be constant sun and heat on the starboard verandahs and I, unlike a lot of people, don't want to be in the sun when I'm on my verandah...I love the shade!

We were on the starboard side on our last cruise - Westbound Transatlantic cruise (Sep 2023) and I enjoyed mostly shade while cruising, but when at port we had a lot of sun. It didn't bother me because the only times I stay on the verandah longer than just looking out is during sea days.

I could be completely wrong in my choice for the may transatlantic...I guess I'll find out!

I'm always one to choose starboard because that's the side I like.

However, for the 13 nights transatlantic next year, I chose the port side because I read somewhere that on Eastbound transatlantic, it may be constant sun and heat on the starboard verandahs and I, unlike a lot of people, don't want to be in the sun when I'm on my verandah...I love the shade!

We were on the starboard side on our last cruise - Westbound Transatlantic cruise (Sep 2023) and I enjoyed mostly shade while cruising, but when at port we had a lot of sun. It didn't bother me because the only times I stay on the verandah longer than just looking out is during sea days.

I could be completely wrong in my choice for the may transatlantic...I guess I'll find out!
The shade was the exact reason I was thinking port side, please report back after you sail. I won’t be going for a few years yet as I’ve got to get all the kids out of the house

P.O.S.H. was for ships going Eastbound "Out" to India, and Westbound "Home" to England. In the days of the British Empire (pre-AC), staying on the cooler, less-sunny side of the ship was premium.

DCL has AC and your and other passengers' preferences may differ.
Starboard going EB will get more sun than Port. And the other way around.

May differ a bit if sailing is England <=> FL, or FL <=> Spain as that bearing isn't 270° --- 90°, and time of year, so your day in the sun will vary.

We loved our EBTA and would do it again.
Hawaii => Vancouver in March, and we will be Starboard for the crossing.

Last edited:
We loved our EBTA and would do it again.
Hawaii => Vancouver in March, and we will be Starboard for the crossing.
This is off topic, but I want to know and since you have been on the EBTA, because there are so many sea days does that mean there is Remy/Palo Brunch on all of those sea days or just so many? I figure it wouldn’t be on every sea day, but didn’t want to assume.

While we had starboard on our EB journey, I am not one to spend time on the verandah during the day and actually spent little to no time on the verandah during the day as I was too busy experiencing the ship so I can't comment on whether it was sunny or not. I did miss the sunsets from our verandah though as we were facing the wrong direction.

This is off topic, but I want to know and since you have been on the EBTA, because there are so many sea days does that mean there is Remy/Palo Brunch on all of those sea days or just so many? I figure it wouldn’t be on every sea day, but didn’t want to assume.
Yes, there is Remy/Palo brunch on all sea days.

Yes, every sea day, but because there are so many platinum/pearl/high level cruisers, it's still hard to snag brunch esp at Palo. I did the EBTA and the WBPC but both were on the smaller ships so no Remy, so not sure how they handle Remy brunch.

The shade was the exact reason I was thinking port side, please report back after you sail. I won’t be going for a few years yet as I’ve got to get all the kids out of the house
Absolutely! I hope I read the article correctly.🤞

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter