• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Suggestions for sharing a room with a *SNOR-ER*???

Keep some stuff handy beside you so you can throw it at him. :rotfl: haha. that's what I did with my mom. She snores very loudly.

I hope you find something that works...
Maybe he would agree to try the mouth piece just for the few days you are there? It's not like you're asking him to wear it forever, KWIM? And considering you'll be there on their dime - I would try and convince him to do everything possible to alleviate the snoring...
I'd take earplugs for everyone, the white noise machine....and you'll probably have better luck with the kids if you can manage to get them asleep first...

Keep some stuff handy beside you so you can throw it at him. :rotfl: haha. that's what I did with my mom. She snores very loudly.

You sound just like my DD (23) :lmao:

Let's see... we always bring a noise machine, run a fan, and DD wears earplugs... and we bought DVC so we could book a 2 bedroom villa :rotfl:

I can't understand it, but DD says I snore like a freight train... personally I stayed awake one night to see whether I snored and I didn't hear a thing :rolleyes1

Having a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

As my wife can tell you in more convincing terms than I, my snoring was a real problem to the point I would often wake myself up from the sound. I got one of the mouthpieces (Puresleep) and it works terrific. I don't snore at all any more and even I wake up feeling more well rested.

In my experience, the first month of using the mouthpiece was difficult. The way it works is that it pulls the lower jaw slightly forward to open up the airway a sufficient amount to prevent the epiglotis from vibrating. Unfortunately, the jaw muscles don't react well to being pulled out of place like that, and for the first month, until the muscles adjust, the first few hours of each day my jaw muscles were in quite a bit of pain whenever I openned my mouth (imagine the sensation of a cramp every time you openned your mouth for the first 2-3 hours each day and you've got it). Also, it resulted in my have a slight underbite, again only for the first few hours each day until my jaw settled back into its natural position.

Over the course of that first month, my jaw muscles got accustomed to the new position and the pain eventually went away. I've been using the mouthpiece for 13 months now and wake up without any pain or discomfort and eat breakfast with a normal overbite. If you are going to use a mouthpiece to deal with snoring, I definitely would recommend doing it well in advance of your vacation. It would not be pleasant to have to deal with the jaw discomfort that first month on vacation.

well it may depend on if they are even bothered by it? some people aren't.

But i can tell you, i AM! I refuse to share a room with my mom, she snores really bad (apnea issues). Once, while sharing a beachhouse with lots of family, my sister and I were sleeping on an air mattress. Another relative was on the couch and forgot his c-pak. He was snoring so bad, that my sis and i went out on the porch/balcony to sleep in the drizzle, cold and wind. lol

I also got stuck on a disney cruise with my cousin- who is a great roomie, but awful snorer. In such a small space, it was awful. I had my ipod on full blast with earbuds in- playing movie soundtracks like braveheart. i took tylenol pm too and it still didn't help. i was miserable. I am one of those that focuses in on the snoring and then it is all I can think about and I can't go to sleep. :confused3:rotfl:

But it doesn't bother some people. I guess you will find out, huh? :) i recommend ear plugs, although those didn't help me much either. I also tried leaving the tv on with mild volume.

Has his sister thought about what his snoring will do to baby? Because if his snoring is loud enough to disturb an adult, what will it do to a child in the same room?
As for helpful hints, I vote for earplugs!

That's the crappy attitude my wife has about it. It's my fault. I went to the doctor and they want to do surgery that has a success rate of about 2 % and isn't covered by insurance. Oh and it causes you lots of pain for the rest of your life. Most remedies are useless except the CPAP machine which you can get for sleep apnea. And that isn't pleasant either.

You sound like my dh...he went to a sleep clinic and found that he has a snoring issue. Really? And he needed you to tell him that??? So, he went to an eye/ear/nose/throat guy in Boston. They told him he has a diviated septum and could operate. But...because he doesn't have sleep apnea, insurance won't cover it. And like you, it's not even close to always a success. Dh was looking at having to have the same surgery several times, paying oop and possibly never getting the relief he needs.
His snoring kept me up for years. I would have to take sleeping pills in order to sleep!!!
Being in a resort together is hard..especially for our dd. But, the two of us share a bed and let dad have his own. Dd takes a couple Benedryl before bed, I take my Lunesta. That works pretty well for us.

You sound like my dh...he went to a sleep clinic and found that he has a snoring issue. Really? And he needed you to tell him that??? So, he went to an eye/ear/nose/throat guy in Boston. They told him he has a diviated septum and could operate. But...because he doesn't have sleep apnea, insurance won't cover it. And like you, it's not even close to always a success. Dh was looking at having to have the same surgery several times, paying oop and possibly never getting the relief he needs.
His snoring kept me up for years. I would have to take sleeping pills in order to sleep!!!
Being in a resort together is hard..especially for our dd. But, the two of us share a bed and let dad have his own. Dd takes a couple Benedryl before bed, I take my Lunesta. That works pretty well for us.

I have taken benadryl before and my wife said it does help a bit. I recenty asked the doc if I may have allergies because I feel a bit stuffy all the time but not enought to bother me. It may contribute to the snoring. He told me to take claritin. I wish it wasn't over the counter after I saw how much it costs. I will have to try that. But I think I may also try the pure sleep mouthpiece. When I first had the problem the mouth piece things weren't available OTC and they charged hundreds of dollars for a doctor to fit you with one so I never tried it. Now it's only $60.

The worse thing about it all is that my wife snores too!!!! She just doesn't believe me when I tell her and it doesn't bother me. :lmao:

When we were there in 2001 this snoring issue came up. One night, my dad was apparently snoring REALLY REALLY loud. I slept through it but my mom wasn't able to. She was very tired and we missed EEMH b/c my mom needed extra sleep time. The same thing happened the next night and it actually woke me up. Mom and I were sharing a bed and I could hear her complaining and crying at the same time. I remember silently praying that either dad would stop snoring or mom would fall asleep and a few moments later my dad did stop snoring.

That was the last time we went on a trip with my dad. He really wants to go somewhere again as a family (as of late it's just been my mom, sister, and I) but my mom doesn't want to have to deal with the snoring again. PLUS, my dad walks super slow and holds us back.

I am married to a snorer...so I can sympathize with you. Sorry...I have no suggestions for you. Sounds like Tom will be the only well rested vacationer in your party!:lmao:

Target sells really comfy earplugs...I can't remember the name but they are pink. They work very well...you just need to get used to hearing yourself breathe inside your head...sort of echos...sounds weird I know.:blush:

technically it is his fault. he can go to a doctor, it might be sleep apnea if it is really bad or get a mouth guard from a doctor, it can help with breathing/sleeping better.

:lmao:

Earplugs are the only answer, as far as I am concerned.

You can buy several types--I personally prefer Fluents, which are little white spongy cylinders, but you can also get the ones that are rounded on the bottom like test tubes. Another option are the ones that look like little discs of sealing wax, that go on the outside of the ear, as opposed to inside the ear canal.

I would recommend buying different types before your trip and having people try and see what is most comfortable. Also, bring plenty--they harden up after two uses (in my experience) and don't work as well.

We go with my mother who is a snorer. I usually wear headphones to sleep, but hersnoring is really loud so I also bring a white noise machine. I have a small compact one and it really does make a difference.
You can find a station on the radio in the room that doesn't come in and put the volume on low.

As my wife can tell you in more convincing terms than I, my snoring was a real problem to the point I would often wake myself up from the sound. I got one of the mouthpieces (Puresleep) and it works terrific. I don't snore at all any more and even I wake up feeling more well rested.

In my experience, the first month of using the mouthpiece was difficult. The way it works is that it pulls the lower jaw slightly forward to open up the airway a sufficient amount to prevent the epiglotis from vibrating. Unfortunately, the jaw muscles don't react well to being pulled out of place like that, and for the first month, until the muscles adjust, the first few hours of each day my jaw muscles were in quite a bit of pain whenever I openned my mouth (imagine the sensation of a cramp every time you openned your mouth for the first 2-3 hours each day and you've got it). Also, it resulted in my have a slight underbite, again only for the first few hours each day until my jaw settled back into its natural position.

Over the course of that first month, my jaw muscles got accustomed to the new position and the pain eventually went away. I've been using the mouthpiece for 13 months now and wake up without any pain or discomfort and eat breakfast with a normal overbite. If you are going to use a mouthpiece to deal with snoring, I definitely would recommend doing it well in advance of your vacation. It would not be pleasant to have to deal with the jaw discomfort that first month on vacation.

where do you get the mouthguard?

I used to use ear plugs, but they always fell out of my ears during the night, and I ended up waking up to the snorer at around 2 am.

So, being a cop, I tried firearms ear protection/muffs. They are basically like the old fashioned headphones or winter ear muffs. They block out all the snoring sound. The more expensive you buy, the more comfortable they are.

Here's an example of a site that sells them: www. gundogsonline .com/hearing-protection/passive-hearing-protection/ (not recommending this site... just the first one that I found). You can also find them at Walmart, Cabellas, or other stores that sell firearms equipment.

Dh snores and when we travel I bring a fan, white noise machine, and ear plugs. Then I turn on the bathroom fan, and put pillow over my head. It helps if I go to sleep first and luckily at WDW I am so tired I usually pass out. It also helps if dh sleeps with a lot of pillows, almost in a sitting up position in the bed. That seems to cut down on the snoring.

The Sleep Mate Sound Machine is the best pure white noise machine I have found. You can order it on-line thru this link, from WalMart or thru the JC Penney catalog.

http://www.marpac.com/sound_cond.asp

0003600500981_215X215.jpg

:lmao:
Ear plugs have worked for me for 20 years. If I get to sleep first I'm good.

;) I have stock in little purple earplugs after 18 years with my DH. But now it seems that I snore too :scared1: really? Me?? ;)
Maybe he should use them too...but then someone has to hear the alarm clock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter