• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Suggestions for sharing a room with a *SNOR-ER*???

My husband snores SO LOUD! My only option, and the option of our children when we share a room, is to fall asleep first. We make him stay up so that we can. Otherwise we are up for hours!! :lmao:

I used to use ear plugs, but they always fell out of my ears during the night, and I ended up waking up to the snorer at around 2 am.

So, being a cop, I tried firearms ear protection/muffs. They are basically like the old fashioned headphones or winter ear muffs. They block out all the snoring sound. The more expensive you buy, the more comfortable they are.

Here's an example of a site that sells them: www. gundogsonline .com/hearing-protection/passive-hearing-protection/ (not recommending this site... just the first one that I found). You can also find them at Walmart, Cabellas, or other stores that sell firearms equipment.
I never thought of these. Thanks for the post!

My DH snores like a freight train and I'm a light sleeper. He had his nose reset, had surgery, a mouthpiece (which he bit and bent somehow) and took drugs and I don't know what else. He had a sleep study done and did not have sleep apnea so we haven't been able to come up with a solution.

As my wife can tell you in more convincing terms than I, my snoring was a real problem to the point I would often wake myself up from the sound. I got one of the mouthpieces (Puresleep) and it works terrific. I don't snore at all any more and even I wake up feeling more well rested.

In my experience, the first month of using the mouthpiece was difficult. The way it works is that it pulls the lower jaw slightly forward to open up the airway a sufficient amount to prevent the epiglotis from vibrating. Unfortunately, the jaw muscles don't react well to being pulled out of place like that, and for the first month, until the muscles adjust, the first few hours of each day my jaw muscles were in quite a bit of pain whenever I openned my mouth (imagine the sensation of a cramp every time you openned your mouth for the first 2-3 hours each day and you've got it). Also, it resulted in my have a slight underbite, again only for the first few hours each day until my jaw settled back into its natural position.

Over the course of that first month, my jaw muscles got accustomed to the new position and the pain eventually went away. I've been using the mouthpiece for 13 months now and wake up without any pain or discomfort and eat breakfast with a normal overbite. If you are going to use a mouthpiece to deal with snoring, I definitely would recommend doing it well in advance of your vacation. It would not be pleasant to have to deal with the jaw discomfort that first month on vacation.

I was glad to read your post. I wondered if the Puresleep guards worked. I had read online that some people have a sore jaw at first and they suggest using them for just a couple hours at first, gradually increasing. I saw them advertised on TV and then checked them out online, but hated to waste the money if no good. Did you get yours online or do they sell them in stores?

technically it is his fault. he can go to a doctor, it might be sleep apnea if it is really bad or get a mouth guard from a doctor, it can help with breathing/sleeping better.

It's his fault? It's caused by loose tissue and I guess he could get rid of it with a painful and very expensive surgery but it's not his fault. Snoring badly doesn't mean you have Sleep Apnea. Sleep Apnea occurs when you stop breathing during your deep states (Delta) of sleep, which means you wouldn't be snoring, because you wouldn't be breathing. That being said, snoring is definitely as sign of SA but it doesn't mean you have it.

when all of a sudden, wait what was that...SNOOOOORREEEEEEE....GR awake already?? ugh, so I gently nudge him and politely ask Tom to roll on his side...in which Tom responds, "I wasn't even snoring." I don't know why I insist on trying to explain to him that he indeed WAS snoring, but it never seems to work out in my favor. Within about 45 seconds Tom is back to sleep while I am laying there slowly trying to make my way back to la-la land.

You've described my husband to a "T" LOL. He insists he isn't snoring as he isn't even sleeping. It's kind of a running joke in our house as we were on a holiday w/ 6 of us in a room and even with 5 witnesses, he still doesn't believe he was sleeping, so denies snoring. LOL

Sorry, I'm no help to you, but just wanted you to know you're not alone.

In October, I invited my cousin who lives in Tampa to stay with my son and I in our hotel for one night on our mini three night stay -- big mistake (He's a wonderful guy, but snores really bad). My DH doesn't care for theme parks and didn't come. The one night at 2 a.m. I wanted at least some sleep for a big theme park day, I booked another room and moved. My son could sleep through the snoring, but I couldn't. I didn't want my cousin to feel bad, so I just left a note that I'd be back by 8 in case anyone was wondering where I was and checked out of my other room and got back to the room we were sharing before the wake up call. The hotel staff were really nice and gave me the best rate they could (They gave me a Florida resident rate, as my cousin lives in Florida). They threw in three breakfast buffet coupons for me too (wonderful staff). My son and I are going for another three night mini stay in March. I invited my cousin again, but told him he'd need his own hotel room. Luckily we found a great deal on Expedia. We wanted a hotel walking distance to Sea World, and were able to get a special rate on Expedia there for $62 a night including taxes and fees for the Hilton Garden Inn Sea World. My cousin has a room for two nights, and we have one for three. Next March we'll probably do a mini trip again, and I will probably get a condo and only invite my cousin to stay with us if I have an extra bedroom or offer him the hyde-a-bed for a night or two.

I don't know but I hope you find a good answer. My wife has made me sleep on the balcony and in the tub because of my snoring!

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Sorry to hear you get put out but it made me smile!

I can commiserate with you as well. Vacations were HORRIBLE for my brother and I since both of our parents snored... LOUD! And they even stagger-snored... one would go, then the other, it was constant all night long. We were told to deal with it, now I could probably sleep through a tornado!

However, has "Tom" looked into the breath right strips? The snore guard mouth pieces that have been mentioned? I was diagnosed with a snoring disorder, where my mouth and throat don't open up as much as they should causing me to snore and I was told to get one of those guards. (That was before they were OTC and wanted to charge me $200 for a "custom" one...)

May be worth looking in to.

I am a really light sleeper, any noise and I'm awake and then if there is snoring I CAN'T go back to sleep. My boyfriend snores so when we travel I use ear plugs. When put in correctly (which can sometimes be tricky) they really do a wonderful job of blocking out the snoring or other noises.

At home we use a fan for "white noise" but I don't think there's room in my suitcase for a fan :)

I'm the snorer in our house, or used to be. DH NEVER snores.We'd bring a noise machine on trips and use a fan at home.

Do you know what really cut down on my snoring? I lost weight. I know weight isn't the cause for all snoring, but my doc said losing weight would help and he was right.Even losing 5-10 pounds can make a big difference. I don't mean to insult anyone. I know losing weight isn't easy. Just noticed it hadn't been mentioned.

For now, I'd recommend the noise machine.

Hiya,

as one whose dad used to snore so loud he woke us 2 rooms away..... as with pp - weight can be an issue, allergies too and humidity - higher humidity meant less snoring. The way my dad stopped (well mostly...) was
a) lost weight
b) stopped drinking alcohol before bedtime
c) got rid of feather pillows - had a mild allergy to these causing swelling in his nose
d) used an ionising humidifier.

Only way he didn't snore sometimes before was
a) pillow propping as someone else said it does help to be more upright if you HAVE to sleep on your back, or
b) when mum sewed cotton reels into the back of one pair of PJs - couldn't sleep on his back then.

Tessa

I know your room is free, but seriously consider booking condo with bedrooms. Lack of sleep could make everyone miserable. We, too, always get a place with bedrooms so the snorers (DH and DS) sleep together in that bedroom. It is the only way we can all survive. We also all have white noise machines. I agree that you may feel cramped after a couple days with all that 'togetherness'. We are a very close family, but we NEED our space at the end of the day to spread out and rest.

Advil PM and EAR PLUGS..works like a charm, I sleep thru the night, and don't hear ANY snoring...:thumbsup2

That's the crappy attitude my wife has about it. It's my fault. I went to the doctor and they want to do surgery that has a success rate of about 2 % and isn't covered by insurance. Oh and it causes you lots of pain for the rest of your life. Most remedies are useless except the CPAP machine which you can get for sleep apnea. And that isn't pleasant either.

My apologies to MrsLS. Apparently the "It's his fault." comment was said in jest and I missed it. Sorry for taking offense.

doesn't seem fair to have to take medications to sleep if significant other snores. Separate rooms have worked here. Even at home. There just isn't any other way for us. Not ashamed to admit it. It is no reflection on our relationship. DH doesn't hear himself (except when he wakes himself up snoring!) and he understands it is intrusive. Thank goodness.

Dh snores and when we travel I bring a fan, white noise machine, and ear plugs. Then I turn on the bathroom fan, and put pillow over my head. It helps if I go to sleep first and luckily at WDW I am so tired I usually pass out. It also helps if dh sleeps with a lot of pillows, almost in a sitting up position in the bed. That seems to cut down on the snoring.

The Sleep Mate Sound Machine is the best pure white noise machine I have found. You can order it on-line thru this link, from WalMart or thru the JC Penney catalog.

I have this white noise machine. It sits on my nightstand as close to my head as I can get it. It is really the best out there (at least that I can find). I feel that I get a much better night sleep when using this and it does help block out things, but unfortunately, Tom's snoring still does wake me up. Not every night, but most.

I am so relieved to hear that many people out there share this problem and wanted to thank you all for your great suggestions. I am looking into getting a separate room, pending room prices. If not for the entire trip, maybe two nights would even suffice!

I did read that someone thought that Tom's sister and BIL were fitting the bill for the entire trip. This is not true. They are simply providing the room. Which is generous and VERY much appreciated, do not get me wrong...but Tom and I are paying for everything else including air, park tickets, and expenses down there...I just wanted to clear that up :upsidedow

Tom's sister is aware of his snoring and is not too concerned with it waking the babies. They are pretty sound sleepers and will get to bed first. Hopefully, like other's have said, we will all be too tired to hear it!

I will bring ear plugs for the rest of the adults.

I am going to go out this weekend (If I am not snowed in - another storm headed our way in the NE tonight until Friday :scared1:) to look for the mouth guard. Where is the best/cheapest place to buy it?

Snoring is an issue at my house as well! I am worried about our trip because on many occasions, when it wakes me up, I go crawl in bed with dd, or go lay on the sofa. I have heard good things about mouth pieces they sell online. they are supposed to allign the jaw correctly, and stop the snoring. Dh's coworker uses it, and has since stopped snoring. (why haven't I bought this myself, lol) anywho, he said it takes a few weeks to get use to, but recommends it. I am bringing along breathright strips. Although the do not stop the snoring, it does seem to make the snoring more tolerable.

Hope everything works out for you!

This thread isn't about theme park attractions or strategies, so I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

I'm also having great success with the Puresleep mouth guard - was recommended to me by a friend that it worked for. Tried it about four months ago and my jaw hurt and made a clicking noise in the AM, so I stopped. Then last month I got a bad cold and was waking myself up trying to breathe, so I tried it again. No prob at all - I am sleeping much better now and no pain or jaw clicking in the AM. Once in a while I must be taking it out in my sleep about 4 or 5 AM - but by then my nights almost over. I've also noticed that my blood pressure has been going down, too.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter