Surprise at the Springs!!

Oh does this bring back memories...

I stayed at SSR in June of 2004. Just after the opening. My DS and I walked over to the pool and on our way back we were just enjoying the area and right next to us was about 4 or 5 snakes. My DS said I must have jumped 5 feet in the air.

He loves snakes so it was no big deal to him but for me it nearly gave me a heart attack!

A couple of years ago DH and I were walking past the BCV pool toward our room one evening when terrified screams errupted from the pool. We thought someone had gotten hurt! :eek: Turns out there was a small rat snake who had decided to take a swim.

We had a simliar "snake in the pool" incident in April at the WL.
Lots of screams once people realized that a snake had slithered into the water and everyone trying to scatter to safety (geez, you'd think it was a shark or something with all the commotion). The lifeguard trapped the snake under a life preserver that they carry around but the snake didn't seem to like it very much and was trying to bite his way out from under until a hotel guest calmly picked the snake by the back of the head and walked away with him.

Y'know, I wonder if maybe there's just this one snake at WDW and he's making the round of all the hotels!:laughing:

I didn't have a snake scare on our recent trip to SSR but I did have a bob cat scare! I went running early on the morning we were checking out and darned if there wasn't a small bob cat walking along the tree line. Scared the dickens out of me!

Actually, that's why this event surprised me. I've been going to WDW since 1972 and have been visiting family in Florida 3x a year for the last 9 years- this bugger was the FIRST snake I have ever seen! Seen plenty of lizards, and DN even saw a gator in one of the lakes on the way to AKL for dinner, but Mr Rat Snake was my first experience seeing a snake just out doing it's thing.

I would have completely freaked if I saw one IN the room. I probably wouldn't have slept the whole vacation-even after I changed rooms!

The gator in the lake story is reminiscent of an unfortunate incident in a gathering pond near my office. The gathering pond is next to a bayou. Community residents often walk their dogs in and around the pond. You can imagine the rest of the story. Fortunately, the person walking her dog was unharmed.

...A couple of men were getting ready to try and kill it when DH calmly walked over, picked it up and put it over in the bushes. Such screams we never heard in our lives when he was picking it up! :rotfl: It was honestly a bad idea and he's luckily he didn't get bitten (those little ones are quick!) but he was afraid that someone would succeed in killing it so he rushed to the rescue. ;)
That is a mighty good man you have! (Actually, sounds a lot like my husband)

My best "snake at WDW" happened at AK. We were walking along one of the paths were you can view the animals. Don't remember which one -:confused3

We heard a scream and turned around and saw a snake going across the path. Then the lady said, "Is that part of the show?" Like Disney had done that on purpose :rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao:

Jim from the Everglades, thanks for the all the info!

I am not ignorant to the fact that Florida is crawling with snakes (pun intended) but right up to the doors and public areas at the resorts? If I saw that snake in Shadeux's picture I would have either dropped dead or run (literally) all the way back to Minnesota. What kind of snake was that? JimMIA, anyone??? It looks like something I imagine in the outback of Australia that would kill you in 2 seconds flat. I don't care if it's harmless. Do the resorts try to do something about snakes on property or is it just a fact of life in Florida? I cannot tell you how much I hate snakes. I have a visceral fight or flight reaction and can do nothing to control it. Believe me, I have tried. I have 2 young sons and I have tried to expose myself to snakes at zoo or reptile shows and learn more about them so as not pass my fear on to them but I cannot get over it. Remember the movie SSSSSSS (or something like that) from the 70's where a human was injected with snake venom and slowly turned into a snake? It involved a circus or some sort where the snakeman was put on display. My mean babysitter made me watch it and I have never recovered. I should be on a therapist's couch right now...:scared: :scared:

Though until now I never imagined there'd be a thread for "best snake at Disney" reports, but I do have one to share.

Two years ago we were lining up with everyone else to watch Illuminations at Epcot. We were between France and England, on the France side of the bridge, in that area that is sometimes closed off for private parties. I'm happily sitting cross legged on the concrete,pressed up against the iron fence with no heads in front of me to look over and block my view, when this very nice young lady comes up behind me, taps me on the shoulder, and says with utmost decorum "I don't want to worry you, but there's a snake heading your way." I look to my right and see people scattering as a small (less than 2 foot) black snake comes slithering along right towards me. I respectfully scramble backwards to let the little guy proceed. Then, this big brawny guy on my left goes to make a show of how brave he is to pick up the snake. As soon as he lifts the snake it starts gyrating over his hand. He screams (yes,like a little girl) and flings it up in the air. Everyone in the path of its fall now squawks and runs off. Fortunately, the snake survived his launch and slid over the rail into the grass.

If I saw that snake in Shadeux's picture I would have either dropped dead or run (literally) all the way back to Minnesota. What kind of snake was that? JimMIA, anyone???
Black racer -- non-venomous.
Do the resorts try to do something about snakes on property or is it just a fact of life in Florida?
It's a fact of life most places if you're in a rural or suburban neighborhood. At least it is in temperate climates. You have to realize that WDW is a bunch of theme parks and resorts scattered thoughout a fairly large wooded landscape with a lot of water. In addition, much of the area is a wildlife sanctuary. That's where you find snakes, and pretty birds, and rodents, and river otter, and bugs, and whitetail deer. They're part of the landscape.

The only solice I can offer you is that you would not have otter and deer without snakes, rodents and bugs. They're all connected.
I cannot tell you how much I hate snakes. I have a visceral fight or flight reaction and can do nothing to control it. Believe me, I have tried.
You're in good company. Most people dislike snakes, and their feelings about snakes have nothing to do with real facts. It's an emotional, irrational fear...but it's real. You can die from emotional, irrational fear with no basis in fact.

"JimMIA"
thanks for all your input...it doesn't make me any less frightened of snakes, and I truly believe I would drop dead from fear if I see one up close. but at least now I am aware that they are so numerous at Disney and will be more alert of my surroundings...Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter