Surprise at the Springs!!

What is a rat snake???? Is it one of those black snakes?? I saw them over at Fort Wilderness, and it scared me half to death!:scared1:

OMG! I'm going to have nightmares of snakes at WDW now! we are staying at VWL in Dec... I sure hope it's too cold for them then.

Actually, we saw one at VWL last December when we were there out by the geyser. It was curled up on a rock enjoying the sunshine! At least it wasn't swimming in the pool, like I've read in past posts:rolleyes1 !

OMG! I'm going to have nightmares of snakes at WDW now! we are staying at VWL in Dec... I sure hope it's too cold for them then.
You're actually more likely to see snakes (and alligators) in cold weather than in warm weather. Reptiles are cold-blooded, and therefore they tend to lay out in the sun to warm up in cold weather. In hot weather, the 'gators will be in the water and most snakes will be in the shade or in water.

I know people are afraid of snakes, but it's darn near impossible to get hurt by one. To get bitten, you have to a) step on or within a few inches of the snake, b) disturb it by sticking your hand near it (usually accidentally), or c) try to handle it. So, if you watch where you step and put your hand, and don't pick a snake up, you're not going to get hurt.

Most, but not all, snakes will flee at the first sight of a human. They are very slow, and couldn't catch you if they tried -- which, of course, they wouldn't. Some are faster than others, but even the racers can't approach human walking speed.

Alligators are a completely different story. You need to stay well away from alligators, especially at WDW where some moron has undoubtedly fed them. Fed alligators become aggressive, and they are faster than you are for short distances.

Just another reminder ---- don't EVER stick your hand into the bushes in Florida. You just never know what's in there!

Great advice!

While mini golfing at Fantasia Gardens, ball rolled under a rock... thankfully the snake moved before my hand got too close. :scared1:

Needless to say I moved rather quickly in the opposite direction.

It just amazes me how good those new Disney animatronics have become. I mean those snakes looked real to me.:rotfl:

It just amazes me how good those new Disney animatronics have become. I mean those snakes looked real to me.:rotfl:
You know, you laugh...but those darn Disney imagineers do present some problems for us at Everglades National Park!

We get a LOT of visitors who have been to Disney first and then come down to the Everglades. I can't tell you how many times I've had a visitor stand looking at an alligator for several minutes (in a National Park, fer crying out loud!) and then ask, "That's not a real alligator...is it?"

Or better yet, get WAY too close to an alligator for a photo op, and when we tell them to move away, we get, "That's not a real alligator...is it?"

Ditto, but we were at Typhoon Lagoon!

Bobbi

I've seen the rat snakes at Blizzard Beach and Typhoon lagoon too. Freaking out about snakes in Florida could mean that you'll always be freaked out.

Just had a lady in FL get bit by a pigmy rattler working in her flower garden. We've had 2 pigmy rattler bites in Wal Mart in town in the garden section the last few years, plus I had one of my teenage pts bit by a rattle snake 2 years ago. So it does happen, one should be careful and look where you're walking.

When I lived in Phoenix 2 decades ago, jogging at night was problematic because that coil on the sidewalk (particularly if there were undeveloped areas nearby) was usually not a garden hose. The rattle would give them away before you got too close, however.

Just had a lady in FL get bit by a pigmy rattler working in her flower garden. We've had 2 pigmy rattler bites in Wal Mart in town in the garden section the last few years, plus I had one of my teenage pts bit by a rattle snake 2 years ago. So it does happen, one should be careful and look where you're walking.
Pygmys are one of the snakes that will NOT flee. They stand their ground and will bite if they feel threatened. However, they have an amazing tolerance for people standing right next to them. I've personally witnessed two situations where someone was standing literally within inches and did not get bitten (including a ranger who stood there for a good 10 minutes giving a talk before any of us saw the snake).

You won't be able to identify a pygmy rattlesnake unless you really know what to look for, and their rattles are usually too small to make any noise. Pygmys are common throughout Florida, as are cottonmouths and several species of regular-sized rattlesnakes. Those venomous species are all over the place, but are rarely seen. And we have very few venomous bites for a state with 17 million residents and 80+ million visitors each year.

But watch where you step and reach. And if you see a snake and are not 100% positive you know its species...leave it alone!

I dont mean to sound rude, but Welcome to Florida! The state of snakes, alligators, and bugs.

Actually, that's why this event surprised me. I've been going to WDW since 1972 and have been visiting family in Florida 3x a year for the last 9 years- this bugger was the FIRST snake I have ever seen! Seen plenty of lizards, and DN even saw a gator in one of the lakes on the way to AKL for dinner, but Mr Rat Snake was my first experience seeing a snake just out doing it's thing.

I would have completely freaked if I saw one IN the room. I probably wouldn't have slept the whole vacation-even after I changed rooms!

A couple of years ago DH and I were walking past the BCV pool toward our room one evening when terrified screams errupted from the pool. We thought someone had gotten hurt! :eek: Turns out there was a small rat snake who had decided to take a swim.

**DISCLAIMER, do not try this at home (or WDW or anywhere else for that matter) even if you are familiar with snakes like DH**

A couple of men were getting ready to try and kill it when DH calmly walked over, picked it up and put it over in the bushes. Such screams we never heard in our lives when he was picking it up! :rotfl: It was honestly a bad idea and he's luckily he didn't get bitten (those little ones are quick!) but he was afraid that someone would succeed in killing it so he rushed to the rescue. ;)

My DW and I have seen snakes on a couple of walks over to DTD from SSR on the path from CP, and once at the MK on Tom Sawyers Island.

A couple of years ago DH and I were walking past the BCV pool toward our room one evening when terrified screams errupted from the pool. We thought someone had gotten hurt! :eek: Turns out there was a small rat snake who had decided to take a swim.
Actually I'd be a lot more worried about the ducks we saw swimming in SAB a couple of weeks ago than a snake. Ducks are filthy!

I always keep my eyes peeled on the walk from BWV to MGM along the canal. (I am also watching for gators).

That's awesome. snakes are wonderful animals. this means less chance of rodents in that area also. I'm looking to try to get a few to nest in my yard to keep the rodents in nearby fileds away from my house.

Last summer I was minding my own busines, floating in the lazy river at Blizzard Beach when I looked over and saw a little snake swimming next to me.:scared1: I paddled away very quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter