• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SWGE Opens August 29!

If I had a September trip planned and I wasn't going for SW, I would cancel. It's going to be insane with SW, Halloween people, all the tris that were supposed to be planned BEFORE it opened. :( Sorry!

I just priced moving it to August and it would cost us an additional $2400 for the same vacation we have booked in September. Moving it isn’t financially feasible for us.

If it was a one and only adults trip I would totally go. It’s my kids that worry me and I think you guys will have a great time
We're booked for Nov 2-5, and now I think it's going to be a madhouse. I'm leaning toward going anyway, since this is our one and only adults-only trip. We can't reschedule it early enough to avoid an August opening, and I'm worried that if we wait a few years my parents will no longer be in a position to watch our kids. Since GE will be open, I think DH will want to see it. It's going to entirely change our trip, both our plans for what to do each day and the pace we were hoping for. Scared! I'm glad it will be open a few months before we go so we can see how things are shaping up, crowd and strategy-wise.
as

So disappointed. I already moved our trip from January 2020 to the end of September hoping to beat the SW craziness. My 3 kids have no interest in SW and now I feel like we'll have to skip HS altogether. If I hadn't already booked our airfare I would cancel.

Am I the only one with an early fall (Sept 7-14) trip already booked that is a little bummed by this news? Nervous about what this will mean for crowds during a time that is typically less busy. :(
I think it could be a benefit if you stay away from SW Land. You figure TS land and Pandora have been so crazy because those were the newest and greatest attractions. Now many people will be flocking to SW land instead, maybe spending more days at HS which might lessen the crowds for the other parks. You can easily plan to be where the crowds are not - go to TS land at RD because everyone will be going to SW land. Avoid SW land or just poke around to check it out and get out. I think early on it will be a situation where they will be actually closing entrance to SW land to avoid the insanely packed crowds, they have to control it somehow or it could turn into a dangerous situation.

We are so happy we arrive at Disney on Oct 28th till Nov 5th . We were hoping it would open. Before we go we are very happy over this. We know it will be crowded but we are ready

So exciting and unexpected! I was mentally prepared for Dec. Now, I'm trying to figure out how, as a local, I manage to 1. get in, and 2. actually get to ride something - without an 8+ hour wait and without more than a 1-night stay. Realistically, it just may not happen for a long while, which sure is tempering my excitement.

Am I the only one with an early fall (Sept 7-14) trip already booked that is a little bummed by this news? Nervous about what this will mean for crowds during a time that is typically less busy. :(
We were hoping to avoid it, too - not sure if we will cancel or not.

YES!!
We are booked that week too and I am nervous and a little bummed! I am terrified about how bad the crowds will be and wondering it it is worth changing the dates?!

I am booked almost at the same time Sept 7-13th. I look at it this way; if I can be patient and not focus on the crowds I can at least get a look around SWGE even if I don't get to see and do everything as I would like because it is going to be super cool. On the positive side maybe the other parks will be less crowded? Maybe the locals will be focused on SWGE more so than the other parks for the first month.

That's definitely how DH and I will approach it, but my parents are another story!

Going Aug 25 - 31 and I can't rebook because i got a great deal on a club level suite and BC. I wonder if the Club level extra fast passes will work for the Starwars ride? Trying to find a silver lining.

I’m not sure what to think about this. We have a trip planned for Sept 7-14 with my parents who hate crowds. We got an amazing PL express deal at AKL that cannot be refunded. We were soooo looking forward to this trip and now I can’t help but feel it will be ruined for my parents. DH, DD and I can handle crowds fine, but they will be irritated and complaining the whole time if it’s a madhouse. I thought we were totally safe fr the beginning of September!! :sad:

The good news is that AKL is a GREAT resort to spend time at so if the crowds are too much your parents can take advantage of all the resort has to offer, which is a lot.

We are booked for October 1st, was hoping to get one more trip in before the madness. Kinda bummed honestly, just hope the other parks aren't impacted too much.

Lets say you do get a FP for a ride in SWGE, but you are outside of the land because of the "line to get in" do they allow you in or lose you FP?

Well I'm stressing out now. We are there Aug 24 to 31 and were planning HS for the 30th so I could get FP for Slinky Dog. Now I have to worry about this, for my Star Wars LOVING son... there go all my plans. What do I do now? I guess only one ride will be open? but what are the odds we'll get a FP for it. Exciting but stressful :)

FYI reports are saying no FP for the ride at first. Obviously this can change. If your onsite plan on doing an emm or a tickets event if offered.

We are there the same week but our HS day is the 28th

That is the silver lining for sure!

My dad hates crowds and in fact gets bad anxiety in them which is why we never went to Disney when I was a kid. The only way I'd ever bring my parents to WDW is if we stayed at AKL and my dad could just chill at the resorts while we went to the parks.

What exactly WILL be open in SGE come August 29th? Do you think "walking around to browse" will be an option or thoughts it will be body-to-body type crowds and should be avoided altogether?

I'm pretty excited about the earlier opening. We are going in late January and maybe this earlier opening will help the crowds die down just a little bit...at least with the locals. (I know the crowds won't actually die down until maybe 5 years or another new area opens somewhere)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter