• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

That 70's Thread!

DaveInTN

I'm Not The Castle Guy
Discussion on my donut thread turned toward nostalgia, in particular of roadtrips and foods of the 70's. I've been feeling very nostalgic lately of the roadtrips I took as a kid in the 70's, including the roads, the motels, the restaurants and even the gas stations. As the thread started to veer away from donuts and toward the 70's, I figured maybe that topic merits its own thread. So, here you are fellow Fiends....I present to you: That 70's Thread!

Feel free to share your favorite memories of the era. It can be about roadtrips, home decor, cars/RV's, music....you name it.

You can even share your memories of plaid pants if you are so inclined. Yes, I'm talking to you KFK.

So have at it.

I'll start with a rehash of some favorite memories I mentioned on the donut thread earlier...the Holiday Inn Great Sign!

Holiday_Inn.jpg

Yes TCD, I know you weren't aware that Vivian had left, but she did. Or died. I can't really be sure. But that is the beauty of the Great Sign; not only was it a beacon to travelers on the interstates, but it also was a message board to the community on anything important. Like the Lions Club meeting on Tuesday night, the local prom being held this Saturday, or Vivian leaving (or dying). And now they are ALL gone.

Another great 70's memory I have is our stops at Dutch Pantry restaurants (usually in PA) while heading to Florida for vacations. I loved the apple fritters there! Anyone else remember these restaurants?

generic1.jpg

I remember that first trip to the Mouse House. It was it the backseat of my parents new 1974 Malibu Classic. It was a beast. When we were heading out on vacation, my parents told us we were going to Mexico. Being little kids, we were fairly indifferent. Once I noticed the Florida state line sign, the cat was out of the bag. Ah, back in those days, Disneyworld was practically just the Magic Kingdom (at least to a little kid). Today, I giggle, when standing in the settlement post, I overhear some folks talking like Disneyworld is the park name where Space Mountain exists. :rotfl2:

I remember when we moved from West Virginia to Florida seeing Stuckey's all the way down. I was only 5 years old so I don't know how many we actually passed or stopped in, but it seems like they were everywhere. I found an image online and thought it was fitting with the camper :lmao:

stuckeys.jpg

Another great 70's memory I have is our stops at Dutch Pantry restaurants (usually in PA) while heading to Florida for vacations. I loved the apple fritters there! Anyone else remember these restaurants?

generic1.jpg

Well, Dave, you can relive the memories since Dutch Pantry restaurants still do exist in PA and pretty much look the same.

Fried clams at the Howard Johnson's restaurant. Sweet and delicious.

Discussion on my donut thread turned toward nostalgia, in particular of roadtrips and foods of the 70's. I've been feeling very nostalgic lately of the roadtrips I took as a kid in the 70's, including the roads, the motels, the restaurants and even the gas stations. As the thread started to veer away from donuts and toward the 70's, I figured maybe that topic merits its own thread. So, here you are fellow Fiends....I present to you: That 70's Thread!

Feel free to share your favorite memories of the era. It can be about roadtrips, home decor, cars/RV's, music....you name it.

You can even share your memories of plaid pants if you are so inclined. Yes, I'm talking to you KFK.

So have at it.

I'll start with a rehash of some favorite memories I mentioned on the donut thread earlier...the Holiday Inn Great Sign!

Holiday_Inn.jpg

Yes TCD, I know you weren't aware that Vivian had left, but she did. Or died. I can't really be sure. But that is the beauty of the Great Sign; not only was it a beacon to travelers on the interstates, but it also was a message board to the community on anything important. Like the Lions Club meeting on Tuesday night, the local prom being held this Saturday, or Vivian leaving (or dying). And now they are ALL gone.

To the plaid comment...:lmao:

Loving the Holiday Inn photo. I remember seeing those everywhere back in the day. Too bad everything now just all looks the same. Not much personality anymore.

Too bad about Vivian. Poor thing, may she R.I.P., but only if she's departed, of course. I'm still not all that clear on that point.

If not, well then....

Hope you're dong well Viv, wherever you are.

I remember that first trip to the Mouse House. It was it the backseat of my parents new 1974 Malibu Classic. It was a beast. When we were heading out on vacation, my parents told us we were going to Mexico. Being little kids, we were fairly indifferent. Once I noticed the Florida state line sign, the cat was out of the bag. Ah, back in those days, Disneyworld was practically just the Magic Kingdom (at least to a little kid). Today, I giggle, when standing in the settlement post, I overhear some folks talking like Disneyworld is the park name where Space Mountain exists. :rotfl2:

Sounds a lot like our first trip! I know we were in a huge car of some kind, but I'm not sure WHAT kind. We used to take turns riding wedged in the area between the rear window and the back of the long, long bench seat.

Back then the Magic Kingdom practically WAS all of WDW. It was the only park until the 80's when Epcot came along. I still hear folks refer to MK as WDW and to Discovery Island as being where Animal Kingdom used to be. Breaks me up every time. :sad2:

I remember when we moved from West Virginia to Florida seeing Stuckey's all the way down. I was only 5 years old so I don't know how many we actually passed or stopped in, but it seems like they were everywhere. I found an image online and thought it was fitting with the camper :lmao:

stuckeys.jpg

West, By God, Virginia? Wow it is a Small World. DH's relatives are all from Logan County, just about an hour from Charleston. We've passed many a Stuckey's on our travels to and fro visiting the relatives.

I agree that the vintage camper makes the pic perfect!

Fried clams at the Howard Johnson's restaurant. Sweet and delicious.
Oh yeah! We used to go to one once in a while on Rt 5 in Hamburg, NY...and on Wed nights you could get all you can eat clams! :thumbsup2

2798611500101147942S600x600Q85.jpg

I seem to remember going to one in Hollywood, FL when my grandparents lived there and getting salt water taffy. I don't even know what salt water taffy is, but for some reason it's a good memory. :confused3

Check out the prices on this kids menu!

3557518155_a52e014316.jpg

For those that grew up in WNY, do you remember shopping at this place and collecting Treasure Chest coupons??

brandnames.jpg

That was my first job off the farm.

anyone ever have Teaberry Ice Cream or Teaberry gum. The only place I have ever seen it was in Shamokin Pa.

Ever had Freihofers chocolate chip cookies or maple walnut cake ? :lovestruc

This picture covers two 70's items for me. It shows my family's 1977 Coachmen Cadet bunkhouse trailer (first RV I ever slept in), AND it demonstrates in a horrifying manner late 70's fashion. Could my brother's shorts BE any shorter?? :scared1:

2567924560101147942S600x600Q85.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter