That 70's Thread!

In 1970 I was a CPT in the U.S. Army assigned to MACV - by the end of the decade I was in my 30s, married with 2 kids and one in the planning stages! :lmao:

Commodore Computer.

The Commodores

Did anyone take family vacations back then in one of these?

1972OldsmobileCustomCruiser.jpg

Yes. Yes we did. I'm afraid ours wasn't as nice as that one.

Ours was pulled from a swamp or something and KFD only paid around $50 for it. But that's not the worst part...

The floor board had holes in it and you could see the road underneath you as you drove down the road. :sad2:

All I really remember is how cool it was to have a backseat that faced out of the rear window.

This picture covers two 70's items for me. It shows my family's 1977 Coachmen Cadet bunkhouse trailer (first RV I ever slept in), AND it demonstrates in a horrifying manner late 70's fashion. Could my brother's shorts BE any shorter?? :scared1:

2567924560101147942S600x600Q85.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao: :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Good Lawdy! I think I had the same outfit just a few years later.

Ah the 70's, fresh off the summer of love, was the end of high school. Driving around in muscle cars, 18 yr old drinking age, getting married, kids, hippies then yuppies, good music, the Jersey shore, first trip to Disney, Saturday night races and then came the 80's........

Sounds a lot like our first trip! I know we were in a huge car of some kind, but I'm not sure WHAT kind. We used to take turns riding wedged in the area between the rear window and the back of the long, long bench seat.

I do hope you were making faces at the driver behind you! That was the only way to go back then!

We also traveled in one of those monstrous cars. The front seat was a bench seat - and it was a team effort to move it back and forth "Okay, ready? 1-2-3... pull!" We also fought over who sat up there. Because if you were in the backseat you spent half the trip shoving those pesky seatbelts back under the seat... :rotfl2:

Because if you were in the backseat you spent half the trip shoving those pesky seatbelts back under the seat... :rotfl2:
Yep! I remember whenever we would cross the border into Canada, my Dad would yell for us to dig out the seatbelts and strap them on! They were required up there even back then. Heck, otherwise we never wore them. Of course, on our first camping trip to the Fort we rode all the way from Buffalo to the Fort in the back of a Ford pickup!

Oh c'mon, it wasn't dangerous. It DID have a cap on it. :rotfl2:

My school district had one of those wagons, and a couple friends and I were being taken to a math competition by our math teacher. We commandeered the back seat and made a sign that said "Help, we're being kidnapped" and held it up to the driver behind us. I'm sure that guy went way out of his way to follow us to the school to find out what was wrong, and we never got into trouble for it but poor Mr. Forester had some 'splainin to do. Can you imagine what would have happend had kids today done that?

Yep! I remember whenever we would cross the border into Canada, my Dad would yell for us to dig out the seatbelts and strap them on! They were required up there even back then. Heck, otherwise we never wore them. Of course, on our first camping trip to the Fort we rode all the way from Buffalo to the Fort in the back of a Ford pickup!

The date on the picture is only two months ago.

:lmao: Starting to think that's really Dave and a lot more recent than the 70's.

West, By God, Virginia? Wow it is a Small World. DH's relatives are all from Logan County, just about an hour from Charleston. We've passed many a Stuckey's on our travels to and fro visiting the relatives.

I agree that the vintage camper makes the pic perfect!

My grandparents lived in Huntington all their lives and my mother grew up there. I haven't been up that way for about 10 years. Definitely is a small world.

Of course, on our first camping trip to the Fort we rode all the way from Buffalo to the Fort in the back of a Ford pickup!

We covered a lot of ground in the back of my Dad's truck, too! His was a Chevy - and if we wanted their attention we had to bang on the back cab window and hold up a note about what we needed. :rotfl2: Oh, and ya gotta bang hard because that camper shell had it's own window - and you know the truck window didn't slide open! :rotfl:

When it got really hot, they would open the pop window in back for us - those little vent windows on the side just didn't cut it in July.

The date on the picture is only two months ago.

:lmao: Starting to think that's really Dave and a lot more recent than the 70's.

:lmao:

First off, I took that photo of an old snapshot on my kitchen counter two months ago. Too lazy to scan it.

Secondly, I weigh a good 50 pounds more than my brother!

If I squeezed into those shorts someone would put up a sign like this:

DangerExplosiveGasInRear792.jpg

Anyone remember Sambos Restaurants? They closed for obvious reasons. It was our daughter's favorite in the 70s.

2123377503_e8ec5b21b9_m.jpg

Anyone remember Sambos Restaurants? They closed for obvious reasons. It was our daughter's favorite in the 70s.

Our first date was at a Sambo's, Frank had the tuna melt, I think I had spaghetti.

Yep! Pretty funny...I was gonna post something about Sambo's later. The name was a combination of the two guys that started it, and they had no idea it had those overtones. When they closed, a lot of the locations became Denny's.

I hate Denny's.

Of course, on our first camping trip to the Fort we rode all the way from Buffalo to the Fort in the back of a Ford pickup!

I found a pic of the truck on that trip; this was taken in the Keys. 1978 Ford F-250 Supercab. You can see it in the background of this pic of a very good looking young man. :rotfl:

2448244800101147942S600x600Q85.jpg

Used to see a lot of these...not many exist anymore.

1984-Big-Boy-Hamburger107.jpg

Frisch's Big Boy strawberry pie, yum!

I missed the first part of the 70's. I graduated from high school in 1969 and left for Air Force basic training two weeks later. I missed Woodstock and landing on the moon for starters. I was assigned to Otis AFB, MA that fall. I didn't have a car (or driver's license) but we had bus service to Boston. When I had saved $200 (which seemed like a fortune back then), I jumped on the bus one Saturday and headed to Boston shopping. I found Filene's Basement! There was a Howard Johnsons at the Bourne Bridge traffic circle near the base main gate. I had my first fried clams there.

I moved to Craig AFB (Selma) Alabama in 1973 where I discovered cable TV. One of the funniest things I've ever seen was Howard Cosell singing Little Darlin' on the Sonny and Cher show. I tried to find it on YouTube but had no luck. If anyone can find it, it's worth a look.

I found a pic of the truck on that trip; this was taken in the Keys. 1978 Ford F-250 Supercab. You can see it in the background of this pic of a very good looking young man. :rotfl:

2448244800101147942S600x600Q85.jpg

Once again, trying to pass off 2 month old photos as something from 30 years ago. Nice try, Dave, but you can't cover up a bad haircut that easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter