That 70's Thread!

Great Thread Dave. My grandmother took us to Disney in a Dodge Polara that was a lead sled. For those that didn't experience the 70's the cars had a huge area called a cat walk between the back seat and window . You could actually fit a kid up there.

We had a Dodge Adventurer with the topper lid. I remember going to Mississippi in the back and it was so ho
t. My aunt and I were banging on the back window for water lol . Its a wonder we
didn't die of CO poisoning.

3025904916_b321737e1e.jpg

The last one I knew of in WNY was on Rt 5.

What about these babies? Anyone still have some stuffed in the junk drawer?

I wish we still had them!! Used to collect those books and got the stamps at a bunch of places. I remember getting them at Hens and Kelly's in Hamburg, and one of the grocery stores...either Super Duper or maybe Bell's?

I actually bid on an old S&H sign on eBay a while back...thought it would be cool to hang in my garage. But it sold for WAY more than I wanted to pay. It looked like this:

il_430xN.118094089.jpg

Who remembers this place? It was one of favorite places to eat as a kid. LOVED the sauteed onions.

york.jpg

My mom gave me enough books of green stamps to get a baseball glove once. That was great. I was always amazed at the old machine they use to dispense them - it had a dial like a rotary phone and they would dial in the amount of your groceries and the stamps would spit out. Later it was replaced with an automatic one - not nearly as exciting.

There was a Henry's Hamburgers by the Kmart in West Seneca years ago. I used to love the Big Henry. I also used to like the Red Barn in Hamburg. The Barnbuster was great and I had a whole set of the promotional Coke glasses could get.

What about these babies? Anyone still have some stuffed in the junk drawer?

I thought S&H Green Stamps had died out in the 60s but they were around in the stamp form until the 80s. And now they're online as Greenpoints. They're a reward for shopping online.

I remember being upset that I was never able to have one of these bad boys.

greenmachine2.jpg

I always had your basic bigwheel :sad1:

I wish we still had them!! Used to collect those books and got the stamps at a bunch of places. I remember getting them at Hens and Kelly's in Hamburg, and one of the grocery stores...either Super Duper or maybe Bell's?

I worked for Bell's on Hopkins Rd in Amherst in 72-73. We didn't give out green stamps. I remember getting stamps at the gas stations, Hens & Kelly's, Hengerers, Loblaws, Super Duper. I don't remember if Sattler's gave them out but.... you could get a free, matched set of Polish luggage at Sattler's! (Very, very old Buffalo Polish joke, sorry).

I remember getting stamps at the gas stations, Hens & Kelly's, Hengerers, Loblaws, Super Duper.

Ah, love that Super Duper! They had one of the coolest grocery store signs ever...the big elephant!

2670146690101147942S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't remember if Sattler's gave them out but.... you could get a free, matched set of Polish luggage at Sattler's! (Very, very old Buffalo Polish joke, sorry).

:rotfl2:

I also used to like the Red Barn in Hamburg. The Barnbuster was great and I had a whole set of the promotional Coke glasses could get.
The Red Barn in Hamburg is still standing, but is a beauty salon now. Those were very cool buildings...we used to go to the one in Dunkirk now and then. It is a pizza place now.

For years growing up, I had one of these promotional cups (the one on top left of Beauregard Hound) that I kept my toothbrush in! Wish I still had it.

swcup5.jpg

3025904916_b321737e1e.jpg

The last one I knew of in WNY was on Rt 5.

There was one on Sheridan Drive not too far from Dunlop Tire. Becky & I used to eat there on occasion!

A&W is the first fast food restaurant I ever remember eating at in Springfield in the mid-50s. Mom used to drive her jalopy there and all the kids tried to race her. It was fun because she always won. This was the same mother that drove the car through the jewelry store window in Pittsfield before you were born when dad was trying to teach her to drive. The only thing that kept dad from killing her was she was pregnant with you! :lmao:

All this nostalgia, I couldn't take it any more. I dug out a pair of plaid bell bottoms with a white belt, a puffy sleeved shirt with paisly print all over it, and some platform shoes. If only I had enough hair for one of Dave's doos.

All this nostalgia, I couldn't take it any more. I dug out a pair of plaid bell bottoms with a white belt, a puffy sleeved shirt with paisly print all over it, and some platform shoes. If only I had enough hair for one of Dave's doos.

We need pictures!!

Oh dear lord,,PLEASE tell me your platforms have the clear heels with goldfish in them !!:lmao:

Did anyone take family vacations back then in one of these?

1972OldsmobileCustomCruiser.jpg

No.

But, we did have one of these . . .

A Chrysler Town and Country.

In avocado with wood trim, thank you:

p1030355.jpg

The rear seat faced backward.

That's where TCD almost always had to ride.

Because one of my sisters was a genius. She threw up all over the place on one of our first road trips. So, she didn't have to ride in the back anymore. And, no matter how hard TCD mom cleaned, it always smelled like vomit back there.

Also, I almost lost my right index finger in a door slamming incident involving this vehicle.

Good times.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter