That 70's Thread!

All this cereal talk jogged my memory about a the Grape Nuts TV commercial that seemed to play over and over again throughout the 70's.

You remember it, don't you?

Euell Gibbons?

Tastes like wild hickory nuts?

Grape Nuts Commercial

At the beginning of the commercial Euell picks up a cat-tail and says "Yes, they're edible."

This was before the days when we were warned "Don't try this at home."

So, a friend and I tried to eat a cat-tail.

Maybe they are edible, but it pretty much tasted like crap to me.

But, still, it was better than Grape Nuts.

TCD

Yes, Grape Nuts aren't the BEST tasting cereal...but they are AWESOME blended into rich vanilla ice cream. Back in the 70's we knew a family with an ice cream maker (the old crank kind) and their best flavor was Grape Nut!

Then, last summer when we were in Maine on a camping trip we found a little ice cream stand that made all their own ice cream, and they had Grape Nut! It was awesome...like a blast from the past.

Does this picture even need a description? Not if you lived through the 70's.

rockem.jpg

Yes Liv, today's world is big on labels. We have labeled you MANY things. :rotfl:
Thanks, I love you too Dave.;)

All this cereal talk jogged my memory about a the Grape Nuts TV commercial that seemed to play over and over again throughout the 70's.

You remember it, don't you?

Euell Gibbons?

Tastes like wild hickory nuts?

Grape Nuts Commercial

At the beginning of the commercial Euell picks up a cat-tail and says "Yes, they're edible."

This was before the days when we were warned "Don't try this at home."

So, a friend and I tried to eat a cat-tail.

Maybe they are edible, but it pretty much tasted like crap to me.

But, still, it was better than Grape Nuts.

TCD

Yes, Grape Nuts aren't the BEST tasting cereal...but they are AWESOME blended into rich vanilla ice cream. Back in the 70's we knew a family with an ice cream maker (the old crank kind) and their best flavor was Grape Nut!

Then, last summer when we were in Maine on a camping trip we found a little ice cream stand that made all their own ice cream, and they had Grape Nut! It was awesome...like a blast from the past.
I loved Grape Nuts as a kid but probably because I put at least half a cup of sugar over them. Guess that's why I had all that energy to cartwheel everywhere.:rotfl:

Does this picture even need a description? Not if you lived through the 70's.

rockem.jpg
I remember my big brother playing with these while I was in the front yard making limestone (not mud) pies. Told ya'll I had issues.:upsidedow

The 60s were more my decade - I started out as a teenager and ended up in Vietnam. What a trip it was with lots of music in between! Oh and lots of beer and some smokes too! :lmao:

Dave, I was just thinking about these. I remember I had one in 7th grade and I used to rent it for 50 cents a period to people who had study hall. I guess I'm responsible for some dumb folks lol.

This was responsible for me being bleary-eyed on many work days!
15%20Atari%20VCS%202600.jpg

atarivcs2600.jpg

Space Invaders & Bowling! (woop-woop)

Boy Deb, I WISH my parents had bought me an Atari system like everyone else had. They thought it would be nice if the game doubled as a computer, and got me one of these.

Odyssey2.jpg

Yes, the Odyssey II by Magnavox. Had about 10% the game selection of the Atari system. We had tons of fun with it in any case. But despite the keyboard, it had no real computing capabilities. Heck, in 1978 even computers didn't have computing capabilities.

This was responsible for me being bleary-eyed on many work days!
15%20Atari%20VCS%202600.jpg

atarivcs2600.jpg

Space Invaders & Bowling! (woop-woop)

Whoop whoop! Love some Atari! I believe the game that came with mine was "Combat" - little tanks that took 10 minutes to get turned around and then rapid fire was about 3 rounds per minute :rotfl2: Then, my brothers busted the joy sticks...

We had one of these
atari400.jpg

It was the best of both worlds... or not. I can remember trying to program on the thing (I was a geek even way back then). Talk about nearly impossible! After that early experience I can't believe that I ever became a programmer! ;)

Lisa, we eventually got an Atari 600XL. Don't remember much other than playing Dig Dug on it, and Q*Bert. Loved those games.

How many of you received this for Christmas in 1978?

Mattel-Football.jpg

I remember those!! I also remember somebody in the trumpet section in band actually installed a switch in it to turn the sound off so they could play it during band practice :-) (The trumpets were way in the back)

This thread is bringing out the generation gap. It sounds like a lot of you were playing with those early video games, I was buying them for my kids.
I guess it's official, I'm a geaser. Turn down that music and stay off my lawn.

This thread is bringing out the generation gap. It sounds like a lot of you were playing with those early video games, I was buying them for my kids.
I guess it's official, I'm a geaser. Turn down that music and stay off my lawn.

Nope - not a geezer, Lou. When Atari's came out I was in my late 20's and bought it for us. We never had kids. Never needed to. Me & the DH have never grown up! :lmao:

Lisa, we eventually got an Atari 600XL. Don't remember much other than playing Dig Dug on it, and Q*Bert. Loved those games.

Ooh! You got the good one with the real keyboard! :thumbsup2

We mostly used it for playing games too. Did you have the game where you had to run the nuclear reactor in the earthquake zone? I can't remember what it was called. All I know is that you wouldn't want me running a nuclear reactor in your neighborhood!
:rotfl2:

(Spellcheck wants me to replace your name with "Deviant". Do you think it knows something???)

Did you have the game where you had to run the nuclear reactor in the earthquake zone? I can't remember what it was called. All I know is that you wouldn't want me running a nuclear reactor in your neighborhood!
:rotfl2:
Sounds suspiciously like the plans for River Country...that being the Iranian nuclear facility. I'll have to look into a possible connection.

(Spellcheck wants me to replace your name with "Deviant". Do you think it knows something???)
Undoubtedly. Deviant is my middle name.

We all remember 70's kitchen design. What self-respecting kitchen back then didn't have a color scheme utilizing either burnt orange, avacado green, or harvest gold? Or a combination of the 3.

Here is a classic example of a 70's kitchen using dark woods accented with burnt orange and rust brown appliances. I especially love the prominent display of the eagle! The only thing missing is a wagon wheel light.

brown%20kitchen034.jpg

HEY NOW!!! My first home's kitchen was Harvest Gold AND I had a brass eagle on a fake brick wall!!! Dark walnut cabinets (formica - of course), harvest gold counter tops (also formica), the latest and greatest no-wax shinyl-vinyl floor with (you guessed it) harvest gold, burnt orange and brown pattern. My wall paper had a variety of fruit and copper looking tea kettles on it. And to answer any questions you might have, we were the first owners and had avocado green shag carpeting through-out. I was smart enough to have white bathroom fixtures installed so I could decorate with any color I wanted. :lmao:

I loved my first kitchen!! :lovestruc

Oh, and....our mortgage payments, with taxes and insurance, were $276.78 per month. That was an outrageous amount in 1976, and both my parents and Rick's thought we were very foolish!! Our home cost us $33,000 to build - property included. Wish I could do that now!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter