• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

That 70's Thread!

And another from '76

Afternoon_Delight_by_The_Starland_Vocal_Band.jpg

you will now spend the rest of the day with the hit tune "Afternoon Delight" stuck in your head. Your welcome.

Just when you thought this thread was done...lookey what I found today!

Who remembers The Pop Shoppe?? Great little stores that only sold pop (soda or soft drinks to some of you), and you could mix and match the different flavors to make up your own cases. And what great flavors they had! Lime Rickey, cream soda, pineapple, grape, black cherry...the choices were seemingly endless.

pop_shoppe.gif

Apparently this was a Canadian outfit, but they expanded into the States in the 70's. We had one in Dunkirk, NY that I went to as a kid. They all closed in 1983, but apparently the brand has been resurrected in Canada to some extent.

Just when you thought this thread was done...lookey what I found today!

Who remembers The Pop Shoppe?? Great little stores that only sold pop (soda or soft drinks to some of you), and you could mix and match the different flavors to make up your own cases. And what great flavors they had! Lime Rickey, cream soda, pineapple, grape, black cherry...the choices were seemingly endless.

pop_shoppe.gif

Apparently this was a Canadian outfit, but they expanded into the States in the 70's. We had one in Dunkirk, NY that I went to as a kid. They all closed in 1983, but apparently the brand has been resurrected in Canada to some extent.

When I lived in NE Amherst there was a beverage delivery company. It wasn't this one - but can't remember the name of the company. They delivered pop & beer.

Now that we're talking about delivery.....who can ever forget this.....

%21BsmHPBQBmk%7E$%28KGrHqEOKkUEvN3,ifYYBL4fmvv4%28g%7E%7E_35.JPG

Charles chips were awesome! How can you beat potato chips delivered to your door?

Remember when Gibbles potato chips were big? Nibble with Gibbles!

We had maaaaaany cans of Charles Chips delivered to house when I was a kid!!!

Gee, I never heard of them!

How can you not remember them?? Didn't we live in the same house? We didn't get them a lot, but when they stopped at Andres' house next door, dad would give me some money and have me get some snacks once in awhile. They had the BEST cheezie poofs!

Those are some of the millions of brain cells that have already died!

I honestly don't remember them! I never snacked much then. I was too busy trying to get Lays!

I remember when we moved from West Virginia to Florida seeing Stuckey's all the way down. I was only 5 years old so I don't know how many we actually passed or stopped in, but it seems like they were everywhere. I found an image online and thought it was fitting with the camper :lmao:

stuckeys.jpg

Stuckeys was one of my first thoughts. They have ALWAYS made the best pecan rolls!!

I found a pic of the truck on that trip; this was taken in the Keys. 1978 Ford F-250 Supercab. You can see it in the background of this pic of a very good looking young man. :rotfl:

2448244800101147942S600x600Q85.jpg

I was 8 in "78" so it looks like we are about the same age. Isn't it funny how all the pics from that era have that same look to them! :rotfl:

I can remember when soda came in steel cans with actual pop-tops. I also remember the machines that sold the cans had a slot where you could put the pop-top after you opened the can. A lot of people used to put the pop-top inside the can. Then came aluminum and finally the pop-tops that stayed on the can (to keep you from putting the pop-top inside the can and then swallowing it).

I can also remember when soda was also sold in 16 oz glass bottles and you had to use an opener (no twist off) and they were worth 5 cents...I used to raise my summer fun money collecting bottles.

My first car was a 1976 AMC Hornet (just like 007 drove in The Man with the Golden Gun), except mine was a dark shade of yellow.

I can very clearly remember appliances in the 70's being available in the following shades: green, yellow, and white. Come to think of it, so did the furniture fabrics, dishes, and clothing. Plaid was everywhere. Anyone remember mutton chops? My father had them.

I remember when the household phone belonged to the phone company and you actually paid rent for it. Ours only had a rotory dial and came in the exciting color of black and your choice of style was wall mounted or desk top...was years later when they finally offered colors such as white or tan. The phone jack was where the phone company hard wired the phone cord to your phone...there was no modular plug. If you were lucky you had more than one jack in the house.

70's had TV's with remote controls...they were large and bulky. My father's idea of a remote control was my brother and I. We also were the auxilary antenna..."hold the antenna with your right hand...now raise your left arm...stand on one leg...that's it, don't move". Remember screen ghosts?
I also remember the flap when they discovered that commercials where flashing subliminal messages during their messages (I was thinking this was about 1972). Speaking of 1972 and TV, remember President Nixon and his inate ability to interrupt programs to inform the American people of national whatever week during primetime? It seemed like he did that once a week for the entire last term of his presidency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter