The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I just want to say that I saw "A Bronx Tale" at Paper Mill the other day and Oh. My. God.

I thought it was just as good as Hamilton. It was edgy, it was refreshing, it's the definition of an "instant classic". The music (Alan Menken holla!!!) was phenomenal, the acting was superb, and I loved the sets. PLEASE go see it if you have the chance!!!

Ahhh! Now I need to try and get a ticket....

Glad to hear that! I'm going at the end of February and can't wait. I love PaperMill and I'm so happy that we live so close to it!

We saw it Sunday afternoon! Really enjoyed it - more than "Bandstand" earlier in the season. The actor who played "Little C" was phenomenal! My only complaint was the casting of Jane. Great voice, but they didn't make a believable "Couple" - the girl in the white sweater looked more suited for Calogero. Coco Jones was too tall. Or maybe without the high bun. (I guess I've spent too many years as a theatre mom of a dramaturge!)

I loved the music - the language, eh. But I know it has to be. lol

My confusion is Paper Mill's decision to also include West Side Story later in the season. Too similar of a story to showcase in the same season, IMHO.

Saw Something Rotten! last night and I literally cried from laughing. Absolutely loved this show. The only disappointment was that I didn't get to see Christian but his understudy. Even the two 18 year olds that I took loved it! Will be going back with my DH to see it in a couple of weeks!

We saw it Sunday afternoon! Really enjoyed it - more than "Bandstand" earlier in the season. The actor who played "Little C" was phenomenal! My only complaint was the casting of Jane. Great voice, but they didn't make a believable "Couple" - the girl in the white sweater looked more suited for Calogero. Coco Jones was too tall. Or maybe without the high bun. (I guess I've spent too many years as a theatre mom of a dramaturge!)

I loved the music - the language, eh. But I know it has to be. lol

My confusion is Paper Mill's decision to also include West Side Story later in the season. Too similar of a story to showcase in the same season, IMHO.

I agree with everything you said! I didn't like Bandstand at all. I don't know why they would put West Side Story at the end of this season, either. I know they usually close with a classic (or at least a show that isn't an original) but WSS was too oddly similar to A Bronx Tale. Besides WSS and A Christmas Story, everything is new. This season is very, very weird.

I recently heard they are making Groundhog Day into a musical. I believe it is going to start off in London and hopefully if it does well there it will move onto Broadway.

I recently heard they are making Groundhog Day into a musical. I believe it is going to start off in London and hopefully if it does well there it will move onto Broadway.

This is indeed true! With music and lyrics by brilliant composer/comedian Tim Minchin. Who also wrote the songs for Matilda!

Saw FIDDLER tonight, and I really enjoyed it. I have to agree with the poster who mentioned having the fiddler fly - I'm not sure what that was about.
The image of the cast coming up those stairs upstage during TRADITION actually gave me goosebumps. LOVED the dancing.
The only thing I was really underwhelmed by was Tevye's Dream - I was hoping for something a little more "fun." Danny Burstein is giving an amazing performance. I saw the u/s for Golde, Jessica Vosk - who had a gorgeous voice - It was nice to hear Golde sung so well.

Last edited:
I ah
Saw FIDDLER tonight, and I really enjoyed it. I have to agree with the poster who mentioned having the fiddler fly - I'm not sure what that was about.
The image of the cast coming up those stairs upstage during TRADITION actually gave me goosebumps. LOVED the dancing.
The only thing I was really underwhelmed by was Tevye's Dream - I was hoping for something a little more "fun." Danny Burstein is giving an amazing performance. I saw the u/s for Golde, Jessica Vosk - who had a gorgeous voice - It was nice to hear Golde sung so-well.

I completely agree about Tevye's Dream. I was fairly sick when I saw Fiddler so couldn't be as impressed as normal but the production values in general just underwhelmed me. I loved the performances, but I felt like everything could have been just a bit more "spectacular". The sets were very miminal and although I don't typically need fancy sets to enjoy a production, it felt a bit cheap for the high ticket price paid.

I also wish the production had a bit more joy/ humor in it. It was very dark and serious! I enjoyed it and thought the performances were solid, but wanted to smile a bit more than I did. For some reason, it didn't get me emotionally like I expected it to, despite all of the parallels to today's situations.

I ah

I completely agree about Tevye's Dream. I was fairly sick when I saw Fiddler so couldn't be as impressed as normal but the production values in general just underwhelmed me. I loved the performances, but I felt like everything could have been just a bit more "spectacular". The sets were very miminal and although I don't typically need fancy sets to enjoy a production, it felt a bit cheap for the high ticket price paid.

I also wish the production had a bit more joy/ humor in it. It was very dark and serious! I enjoyed it and thought the performances were solid, but wanted to smile a bit more than I did. For some reason, it didn't get me emotionally like I expected it to, despite all of the parallels to today's situations.

It's funny you should mention that, because we have always found it dark & serious. Other than the amusing conversations between Tevye & God, I've never though of this show as humorous or joyful. It's probably because I've seen it (Annie, is another that comes to mind) so many times that I truly never need to ee it again. LOL

The sets were very miminal and although I don't typically need fancy sets to enjoy a production, it felt a bit cheap for the high ticket price paid.

This is the same team that Sher usually works with and I thought the design was similar to their King and I - simple & classy. I do wish the costumes had a few more colors in them. But in thinking about it, I think that may have been intentional - as a contrast to the white/grey walls.

It's funny you should mention that, because we have always found it dark & serious. Other than the amusing conversations between Tevye & God, I've never though of this show as humorous or joyful. It's probably because I've seen it (Annie, is another that comes to mind) so many times that I truly never need to ee it again. LOL

I think this is one of those shows where getting the balance just right is important. I definitely think there's humor in it, and IMO, I think there's even room for some warmth & playfulness in the relationship between Tevye & Golde - which there was none of last night - and I took that to be a result of the direction.Last night was also the *first* time I've ever seen "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" not played as the girls day-dreaming and teasing each other. It was heart-breaking, and it totally worked for me.

But I have to agree with you - as a piece overall, I wouldn't say it's "joyful" or "feel-good."

I saw Pippin last night in Boston and I really enjoyed it. I went with both my parents and none of us had ever seen the show. The production and cast were great, but the people sitting around us were horrendous. It seems like every time I go to a show these days audience behavior is beyond terrible. The couple sitting next to me were talking and playing on their phones throughout the entire show (their two teenagers in the row ahead of them were VERY well-behaved, however). The man in front of us wouldn't stop moving and people all around us kept crinkling food bags, rustling ice in their cups and chewing loudly throughout the whole show. A few months ago a woman brought a newborn baby into Newsies in Providence (yes, the baby cried during the show... ridiculous).

I ah

I really think Fiddler is truly dark and somber. There is very little joy in it. It is a pretty fair representation what was going on at that time.
I've 'done' several productions of Fiddler. I won't do it again. The music is beautiful, but the book is just too depressing for me.
I will say that the productions I've either been in, or have seen, were most successful with a lesser, minimal set. The characters and situations are what bring the story to life.
It's a dark and depressing tale....as u said, little joy to be had.

Hubby & I went to see the touring company of "Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" Friday evening. We've only see it live with a high school student cast, so we were looking forward to seeing it performed with adults. We really enjoyed it. Of course, we were in the first row, so that totally adds to the enjoyment for us. ;-) I was tapping my feet & trying very hard to NOT sing along. Now, THAT's a Happy show! lol :flower1::jester:

Don't get me wrong, I thought the tone of the show was overall appropriate. But everything about their lives seemed to be dreary.

Last night was also the *first* time I've ever seen "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" not played as the girls day-dreaming and teasing each other. It was heart-breaking, and it totally worked for me.

I totally agree about this number. I really liked it but it definitely contributed to the overall downer tone of the show. It was just very different. I've never seen Tzeitel crying before singing. It made the "tradition" of the show just seem cruel!

All of this being said, I still really enjoyed the production. Honestly, I was really sick and spent most of the show holding in coughs, so my assessment might not be totally fair. As a production of Fiddler goes- very successful. Maybe I just don't like the source material as much as I thought I did.

I saw A Bronx Tale at The Papermill Playhouse this evening. I had never seen either the movie or the original play so I had no idea what to expect. It took about 15-20 minutes to grab me, but by the middle of the first act - it had me. From most accounts it seems this is definitely looking to head to Broadway and the show needs some work, but theres some good stuff there! Loved the music, some of the lyrics could use some work. I'd also like it if some of the dialogue was fleshed out a bit - act two clocked in at about 45 minutes.

Afterwards, I also got to meet Alan Menken thanks to a friend!

12717779_10156475204000363_5419944823763378598_n.jpg

I saw A Bronx Tale at The Papermill Playhouse this evening. I had never seen either the movie or the original play so I had no idea what to expect. It took about 15-20 minutes to grab me, but by the middle of the first act - it had me. From most accounts it seems this is definitely looking to head to Broadway and the show needs some work, but theres some good stuff there! Loved the music, some of the lyrics could use some work. I'd also like it if some of the dialogue was fleshed out a bit - act two clocked in at about 45 minutes.

Afterwards, I also got to meet Alan Menken thanks to a friend!

12717779_10156475204000363_5419944823763378598_n.jpg

I definitely saw you!!!! I got to see the show Friday and Saturday night (friday was planned, but saturday morning I had a friend call me unexpectedly with an extra ticket she needed to get rid of).

I met Alan Menken after seeing Hunchback. I was SO excited that he must have thought I was a loon - he gave me a big hug. lol

We saw Jeremy Stolle (Hunchback, Phantom) in concert Saturday evening, with Mary Michael Patterson and Michael Mott. Wonderful show! Jeremy has an album coming out soon. Michael Mott has a great album "Where the Sky Ends" available on iTunes and Amazon. CHeck it out! He's a VERY talented young composer who writes in a variety of styles. His album is all original music, sung by big name Broadway stars, such as Jeremy Jordan, Sierra Boggess, Zachary Levi, Laura Osnes, Orfeh, Justin Guarini, among others. Michael has a show "Faustus" which is hopefully on its way to Broadway soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter