The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I saw Eclipsed this afternoon. I felt like I had been punched in the gut by the end. Loved the writing, direction and I can't say enough good things about the cast. I was so pleasantly surprised to see that even though Lupita Nyong'o is billed as the star, it is VERY much an ensemble piece - and these women are turning out absolutely amazing, heart-breaking performances. They're so cohesive as an ensemble that I can't imagine what it must be like to be an understudy and have to step in. I hope they are all remembered & recognized come award-season.

If anyone is curious about it - I'd say definitely check it out. I hope I get a chance to revisit it before the end of it's limited run.

I'm pretty excited! Just booked NYC for August 24 through September 2!! Can't wait to start booking the shows! Very excited about American Psycho... Duncan Sheik... aaiiee!!!

My daughter really wants to see Hamilton, every day we enter the broadway direct lottery to win tickets for 10.00 but no luck yet! We will just keep trying. We won the lottery for Book of Mormon tickets twice in one month!

My daughter really wants to see Hamilton, every day we enter the broadway direct lottery to win tickets for 10.00 but no luck yet! We will just keep trying. We won the lottery for Book of Mormon tickets twice in one month!

I don't even want to know how many people enter that dang lottery. Good luck!

Hamilton... sigh. My daughter and I are currently obsessed with the CD. Our only consolation is that by the time we are actually able to see the darned show we will know every word they say! So many great songs and moments!

Far off off off off Broadway. The local high school performed The Addams Family this past weekend and did a pretty good job. I enjoyed it almost as much as when I saw Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth in New York.

I am crying I am so excited!!!!! The Secret Garden is coming back!!!!!!! Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo as Archibald and Lily!!!!!

Well, it came back for 2 nights as a Lincoln Center concert last week. Hopefully it will come back to Broadway again soon, although I'm not sure it will have the same cast.

I saw the second concert last week and it was amazing. I had gotten to see the original production on Broadway twice, and I'm still so in love with that score. Performances were amazing all around. Sydney Lucas is such a little powerhouse. Ramin and Sierra were terrific (it was like a Phantom reunion in reverse, with her haunting him this time around). And it was so nice to see Daisy Eagan on stage again.

Hopefully we'll see a revival eventually!

I went to a local production of "August:Osage County" last weekend. Holy cow was it amazing! A fantastic ensemble cast. I saw the movie and fell in love with the story and the script. The sets were incredible. It was put on at a local high school. They made it into a very intimate production by setting seating up on the stage. I drove my husband nuts raving about it! :teeth:

Saw Josh Young at 54 Below this weekend, singing the songs of Andrew Lloyd Weber. Gorgeous voice and he was very engaging onstage. Off stage, he's one of the shyest performers I've ever met. lol Even having a "mutual friend", he is super quiet and doesn't seem comfortable at all with attention. ;-)

Heading to see "She Loves Me" next weekend!

Saw Josh Young at 54 Below this weekend, singing the songs of Andrew Lloyd Weber. Gorgeous voice and he was very engaging onstage. Off stage, he's one of the shyest performers I've ever met. lol Even having a "mutual friend", he is super quiet and doesn't seem comfortable at all with attention. ;-)

Heading to see "She Loves Me" next weekend!
So jealous!!! That is one of my favorite shows!!! I expect a full report!!!!!:teeth:

Far off off off off Broadway. The local high school performed The Addams Family this past weekend and did a pretty good job. I enjoyed it almost as much as when I saw Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth in New York.
I was Grandma Addams in a production last spring. It was a fun show! Wore this hideous prosthetic nose... wasn't sad to say good bye to it! Favourite number was "When You're An Addams... snap snap" right off the top!

I was Grandma Addams in a production last spring. It was a fun show! Wore this hideous prosthetic nose... wasn't sad to say good bye to it! Favourite number was "When You're An Addams... snap snap" right off the top!

Yes, I thought it was a very fun show. There was a line that Grandma Addams said that got a good laugh from the mostly adult audience. She said something about a spell being strong enough to turn Mary Poppins into Medea (from Greek literature). Puggsly said he didn't understand, so she retorted something like "Well, maybe you would if you'd stop texting and open a damn book."

Yes, I thought it was a very fun show. There was a line that Grandma Addams said that got a good laugh from the mostly adult audience. She said something about a spell being strong enough to turn Mary Poppins into Medea (from Greek literature). Puggsly said he didn't understand, so she retorted something like "Well, maybe you would if you'd stop texting and open a damn book."
Yup... that line never failed to please. Her monologue in Full disclosure was pretty good too... something about finding a couple of 90 year old hotties who would love to chow down on a Grandma Sandwich. Maybe they didn't use that part in a high school production though lol!
I just finished up with All Shook Up last weekend. Played another kooky character... Mayor Matilda Hyde. Starts out pretty uptight and racist (ugh!) at the beginning but lets her hair down in the end. :thumbsup2

Just bought American Psycho for August 26!! OMG it is sinking in that we are going to NYC! In just under 6 months I'll be singing "History is happening in Manhattan and we just happen to be in the greatest city in the world!" Oh wait... wrong show!! :love:

Every year for my birthday, we go to see a play (and usually a few others throughout the year). Trying to decide what to see this June, and looking for suggestions. I'm torn between Something Rotten, American in Paris, the King and I or Phantom (again).

Every year for my birthday, we go to see a play (and usually a few others throughout the year). Trying to decide what to see this June, and looking for suggestions. I'm torn between Something Rotten, American in Paris, the King and I or Phantom (again).
Tough decisions... the only one I have seen on Broadway is Phantom. (Small aside... saw tour of it in 1991 and was underwhelmed. Took my DD14 to see in in NY in 2014 just because thought it was the thing to do for a theatre obsessed kid. Was paralyzed with joy! Cannot believe how much I loved it!!!!) Anyhoo... I think they all sound fantastic. If you have seen Phantom I would branch out. And they are all different. I think we will see AAIP and SR this summer for sure. And, although the music in King and I is very good, I'm not the biggest Rogers and Hammerstein fan overall. I think it would be visually stunning though! Perhaps you will get some good opinions from Dissers who have seen them all!

Tough decisions... the only one I have seen on Broadway is Phantom. (Small aside... saw tour of it in 1991 and was underwhelmed. Took my DD14 to see in in NY in 2014 just because thought it was the thing to do for a theatre obsessed kid. Was paralyzed with joy! Cannot believe how much I loved it!!!!) Anyhoo... I think they all sound fantastic. If you have seen Phantom I would branch out. And they are all different. I think we will see AAIP and SR this summer for sure. And, although the music in King and I is very good, I'm not the biggest Rogers and Hammerstein fan overall. I think it would be visually stunning though! Perhaps you will get some good opinions from Dissers who have seen them all!
I saw King and I years ago, but Daniel Dae Kim is going to be coming on as the King, and I really like him. But it's always hard to justify seeing a play again when there are others we haven't seen. I've only ever seen Phantom on Broadway, so I'm glad to know that's the best!

Okay all....heading into NYC next Monday. The vast majority of theaters are dark on Mondays. So, any recommendations for a show that is up on Monday night? One that we don't have to trek too far afield to see? Then, dd has a Disney College Program audition on Tuesday morning, and hopefully we get to a show that night....naturally she will be doing the lottery for Hamilton!! If, when, we don't get those tickets, we'll just run over to TKTS and see what's available at the last minute.
I could even sit through Something Rotten again!!!!! Love, love, loved that show in Dec!!!!!

Okay all....heading into NYC next Monday. The vast majority of theaters are dark on Mondays. So, any recommendations for a show that is up on Monday night? One that we don't have to trek too far afield to see? Then, dd has a Disney College Program audition on Tuesday morning, and hopefully we get to a show that night....naturally she will be doing the lottery for Hamilton!! If, when, we don't get those tickets, we'll just run over to TKTS and see what's available at the last minute.
I could even sit through Something Rotten again!!!!! Love, love, loved that show in Dec!!!!!

Bright Star performs on Mondays. It's brand new, but a few people have seen it and loved it. They seem to have $27 rush tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter