The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Okay all....heading into NYC next Monday. The vast majority of theaters are dark on Mondays. So, any recommendations for a show that is up on Monday night? One that we don't have to trek too far afield to see? Then, dd has a Disney College Program audition on Tuesday morning, and hopefully we get to a show that night....naturally she will be doing the lottery for Hamilton!! If, when, we don't get those tickets, we'll just run over to TKTS and see what's available at the last minute.
I could even sit through Something Rotten again!!!!! Love, love, loved that show in Dec!!!!!
Josh Young is doing his cabaret show again Monday at 54 Below. If you like an intimate setting, listening to a golden voice, I'd highly recommend it!

Every year for my birthday, we go to see a play (and usually a few others throughout the year). Trying to decide what to see this June, and looking for suggestions. I'm torn between Something Rotten, American in Paris, the King and I or Phantom (again).

Are you a fan of Shakespeare? I've seen all but American in Paris (not a huge dance fan). King & I was gorgeous. But, Something Rotten was HILARIOUS! I've seen Phantom numerous times and it never gets old. But, Something Rotten was a real treat, especially if you are a fan of Shakespeare and theatre in general. We couldn't stop laughing! I really need to see it again. I think we missed every third joke because we were laughing so hard!

So has anyone been to see Disaster yet? It sounds funny but I haven't searched out reviews. Also, it looks like Curious Incident... will be there through August. I am so excited to be able to see it now (we are there late August). I do see that it is on TKTS. Should we wait to buy when there? I wouldn't mind trying to save a few bucks (thank you stupid Canadian dollar grrrrr) but don't want to be right in the back either. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread! We went to NYC at the beginning of Feb and saw Hamilton, Something Rotten, Lez Miz, and The Humans. We went for a weekend and crammed 4 shows into it. The trip was a Christmas gift from my DH and the main reason we were going was to see Alfie Boe as JVJ in LM but we got an email on the flight up there telling us that he was unexpectedly going to be out. I was pretty upset (I LOVE AB!!) but his u/s was amazing. We had really gotten in to Hamilton and spent way too much money on tix but we decided that the regret over spending the money to go was nothing compared to the regret we would feel if we had the chance to see it with almost the entire original cast (everyone but Daveed Diggs bc he was on vaca) and decided not to. I do not regret spending the money AT ALL. It was wonderful. Life-changing even. LMM is brilliant and I feel blessed just to have been in the same room with him breathing the same air! I still haven't seen In the Heights but I'm pretty obsessed with the cast recording.

This was my 2nd trip to NYC and it was 10 years after the first one (we live in MS and have been busy having kids and trying to be grownups since our first trip:P). The last time we were there we saw Rent, Thoroughly Modern Millie (Christian Borle was in the production we say w Sutton Foster but I didn't know who he was then), The Producers (w Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick), and Boy From Oz (w Hugh Jackman). I saw a touring company of Cats, Phantom, and Les Miz (twice - its my all time fav; Hamilton is pretty high up there too!) as a kid. We live about an hour from New Orleans and are taking our 2 older kids to see Wicked in May. I can't believe I haven't gotten around to seeing it until now!

So glad I ran across this thread!!

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread! We went to NYC at the beginning of Feb and saw Hamilton, Something Rotten, Lez Miz, and The Humans. We went for a weekend and crammed 4 shows into it. The trip was a Christmas gift from my DH and the main reason we were going was to see Alfie Boe as JVJ in LM but we got an email on the flight up there telling us that he was unexpectedly going to be out. I was pretty upset (I LOVE AB!!) but his u/s was amazing. We had really gotten in to Hamilton and spent way too much money on tix but we decided that the regret over spending the money to go was nothing compared to the regret we would feel if we had the chance to see it with almost the entire original cast (everyone but Daveed Diggs bc he was on vaca) and decided not to. I do not regret spending the money AT ALL. It was wonderful. Life-changing even. LMM is brilliant and I feel blessed just to have been in the same room with him breathing the same air! I still haven't seen In the Heights but I'm pretty obsessed with the cast recording.

This was my 2nd trip to NYC and it was 10 years after the first one (we live in MS and have been busy having kids and trying to be grownups since our first trip:P). The last time we were there we saw Rent, Thoroughly Modern Millie (Christian Borle was in the production we say w Sutton Foster but I didn't know who he was then), The Producers (w Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick), and Boy From Oz (w Hugh Jackman). I saw a touring company of Cats, Phantom, and Les Miz (twice - its my all time fav; Hamilton is pretty high up there too!) as a kid. We live about an hour from New Orleans and are taking our 2 older kids to see Wicked in May. I can't believe I haven't gotten around to seeing it until now!

So glad I ran across this thread!!

I'm so happy you had a wonderful trip! You're itinerary is right up my alley. I've definitely done two shows in a day and when I had my first fall break in college and came back home, I saved and scrimped to see 4 shows in one weekend.

I have tickets for Hamilton next month (bought them back in September) and I just got tickets for Waitress. I have some friends coming to visit the city and I'm trying to convince them to see Les Mis (it's my favorite musical too, I've seen it about 6 times) and Something Rotten! (So great and a fun musical for theater fans). But they're not as big theater fans as I am. I'm hoping to change their minds. :)

We saw In the Heights during its original run - incredible and such a New York show. Anything Lin-Manuel Miranda has a hand in has my support (can't wait for Moana since he's working on the music too). Hence being willing to fork over that cash for Hamilton months ago!

Also I saw Thoroughly Modern Millie both with the original cast and when Christian Borle joined. I always loved that musical and Sutton Foster is just incredible! I later met Harriet Harris after seeing her in It Shoulda Been You last year and shared that I saw her in Thoroughly Modern Millie and she responded "you must have been a little girl!"

I love the theater community - such awesome people and amazing stories!!

I'm def looking forward to Moana. I follow LMM on Twitter and FB and he's always talking about it...can't wait to see what he does!

You will love Hamilton. I was completely obsessed with the cast recording and was a little afraid I would be let down since I was already so familiar with the music but it was so much better than I imagined. Hopefully your friends will humor you and go along with your plans - I am sure they will thank you for it if they do!

We talked to Christian Borle at the stage door after the show and mentioned that we had seen him in TMM and he had a similar reaction about it being so long ago. I love that the theater stars are so accessible and (for the most part) so gracious. We talked to Leslie Odom, Jr., Anthony Ramos, Chris Jackson, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Okieriete Onaodowan, and Renee Elise Goldsberry after Hamilton and they were so sweet to chat and take pics. (Didn't see LMM or Jonathan Groff:() We saw Phillipa Soo at Bar Centrale after the show (she was sitting in the booth behind us so every time I looked just past DH's head I saw her, it was crazy) but we didn't bother her bc she was there with her now fiance and some friends and we didn't want to be annoying. We also talked with Brian d'Arcy James, Brad Oscar, and Heidi Blickenstaff after SR and they were all super sweet too. The night we went to see LM happened to be a night that they had given lots of tickets to the actors' friends and family so there was a line to get IN to the stage door and they said it would prob be an additional hour or so before anyone left so we didn't hang around for that one. We saw Darren Criss at Bar Centrale after Hamilton but didn't bother him but then the next night we saw him at Marie's Crisis and we just had to mention that it was the second night in a row that we saw him and we ended up hanging out with him and his friends until we left Marie's. It was his birthday so he shared shots with us - super nice guy and completely surreal experience. Theater folks are the best.:lovestruc

I've heard good buzz about Waitress - please let us know how you like it!!

Well...we had a great couple of days in NYC. Dd's audition went fine...she made it much further than she expected to.
We saw Bright Star on Monday night. Got pretty good seats for about $40 each, second row in the balcony. Small venue, just orchestra and balcony. The show was stunning. Absolutely beautiful. I was so surprised. Beautifully staged, beautifully acted and sung. Just wonderful. If you get a chance to see it, go!
We didn't win the Hamilton lottery, so it was off to tkts. Got great seats (3rd row) for Fun Home. They were about $100 each, but 40% off! Great show. Loved that one as well. It was really thought provoking and intense, but still wonderful.

All in all a great few days!!

I'm def looking forward to Moana. I follow LMM on Twitter and FB and he's always talking about it...can't wait to see what he does!

You will love Hamilton. I was completely obsessed with the cast recording and was a little afraid I would be let down since I was already so familiar with the music but it was so much better than I imagined. Hopefully your friends will humor you and go along with your plans - I am sure they will thank you for it if they do!

We talked to Christian Borle at the stage door after the show and mentioned that we had seen him in TMM and he had a similar reaction about it being so long ago. I love that the theater stars are so accessible and (for the most part) so gracious. We talked to Leslie Odom, Jr., Anthony Ramos, Chris Jackson, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Okieriete Onaodowan, and Renee Elise Goldsberry after Hamilton and they were so sweet to chat and take pics. (Didn't see LMM or Jonathan Groff:() We saw Phillipa Soo at Bar Centrale after the show (she was sitting in the booth behind us so every time I looked just past DH's head I saw her, it was crazy) but we didn't bother her bc she was there with her now fiance and some friends and we didn't want to be annoying. We also talked with Brian d'Arcy James, Brad Oscar, and Heidi Blickenstaff after SR and they were all super sweet too. The night we went to see LM happened to be a night that they had given lots of tickets to the actors' friends and family so there was a line to get IN to the stage door and they said it would prob be an additional hour or so before anyone left so we didn't hang around for that one. We saw Darren Criss at Bar Centrale after Hamilton but didn't bother him but then the next night we saw him at Marie's Crisis and we just had to mention that it was the second night in a row that we saw him and we ended up hanging out with him and his friends until we left Marie's. It was his birthday so he shared shots with us - super nice guy and completely surreal experience. Theater folks are the best.:lovestruc

I've heard good buzz about Waitress - please let us know how you like it!!
Wow... you had a great run of celebrity contacts! I also love how accessible the casts are after the shows. My fave story is when I met Andy Karl on closing night of Rocky. I went all "fan girl' and gushed about how I had loved him since 9 To 5 and that I had recently played the role of Violet (his character Joe's love interest) in a production. He went ah yes and started singing the love duet "Let Love Grow" to me... and I joined in. I floated for a week after! But seriously... his voice... like butter on velvet!
But, back to business.... we will have to try out Bar Centrale. I think it sounds like a great place to have a drink and nibble! We did get to Marie's Crisis and had a BLAST singing along with so many talented people! When they sang "One Day More" I nearly cried!! Yes... I am lame but I love theatre soooo much.

She Loves Me is TERRIFIC! We really enjoyed it! Poor Laura Benanti had bronchitis, but you'd never know it by her performance. Jane Krakowski was a great. But, I am now totally in love with Zachary Levi! lol He was such a hoot at the stage door. We had such a great laugh with him. He smoldered for DD and she was in heaven! Great photo op! The show is such a happy piece. We LOVED it!

She Loves Me is TERRIFIC! We really enjoyed it! Poor Laura Benanti had bronchitis, but you'd never know it by her performance. Jane Krakowski was a great. But, I am now totally in love with Zachary Levi! lol He was such a hoot at the stage door. We had such a great laugh with him. He smoldered for DD and she was in heaven! Great photo op! The show is such a happy piece. We LOVED it!
YAY!!! I will get the cast album as soon as it is available!

Well...we had a great couple of days in NYC. Dd's audition went fine...she made it much further than she expected to.
We saw Bright Star on Monday night. Got pretty good seats for about $40 each, second row in the balcony. Small venue, just orchestra and balcony. The show was stunning. Absolutely beautiful. I was so surprised. Beautifully staged, beautifully acted and sung. Just wonderful. If you get a chance to see it, go!
We didn't win the Hamilton lottery, so it was off to tkts. Got great seats (3rd row) for Fun Home. They were about $100 each, but 40% off! Great show. Loved that one as well. It was really thought provoking and intense, but still wonderful.

All in all a great few days!!

Glad to read this because I'm seeing Bright Star with a friend in late April. I'm hearing a lot of positive reviews from people who have seen the previews.

So, I have this crazy/wonderful itinerary coming up over the next couple months. I will be in the city three times. On the first trip we are taking my daughter's boyfriend (who has never been to New York and has NEVER seen any theater) to see Dear Evan Hansen and Hamilton. I'm very excited because he's being so open-minded about it all. Then two weeks later I'm traveling with my best friend. That's when we're seeing Bright Star, but we're also seeing Robber Bridegroom, Shuffle Along, Eclipsed, and Avenue Q. Then two weeks after that we're taking my daughter's best friend to see Tuck Everlasting, Fiddler on the Roof, and the girls are going to Hamilton while I go to Waitress with a New York friend. SO very excited to have had the opportunity to see so much of this season!

I saw The Robber Bridegroom tonight and I LOVED it. So much so that I bought tickets to go back and see it again in May before it closes. The story is silly, but this production is first-rate. Great cast - Leslie Kritzer walks off with the show, and Steven Pasquale's vocals are (as always) nothing short of incredible. I want to be him!!
A *VERY* entertaining 90 minutes to be sure!

I saw The Robber Bridegroom tonight and I LOVED it. So much so that I bought tickets to go back and see it again in May before it closes. The story is silly, but this production is first-rate. Great cast - Leslie Kritzer walks off with the show, and Steven Pasquale's vocals are (as always) nothing short of incredible. I want to be him!!
A *VERY* entertaining 90 minutes to be sure!

So excited to read this. We are really looking forward to it. My friend LOVES bluegrass music, and I have heard epic things about Kritzer. We also know the banjo player from some summer stock work my daughter did with him in 2014. I'm glad to hear the good review. :)

Our reginal theater company is doing The Hunchback of Notre Dame!!!! I am so excited. I think I am going to go with my mom.

We saw Hunchback at Paper Mill Playhouse and met Alan Menken afterward. It was a one of the best productions I've ever seen. Breathtaking!

So, I have this crazy/wonderful itinerary coming up over the next couple months. I will be in the city three times. On the first trip we are taking my daughter's boyfriend (who has never been to New York and has NEVER seen any theater) to see Dear Evan Hansen and Hamilton. I'm very excited because he's being so open-minded about it all. Then two weeks later I'm traveling with my best friend. That's when we're seeing Bright Star, but we're also seeing Robber Bridegroom, Shuffle Along, Eclipsed, and Avenue Q. Then two weeks after that we're taking my daughter's best friend to see Tuck Everlasting, Fiddler on the Roof, and the girls are going to Hamilton while I go to Waitress with a New York friend. SO very excited to have had the opportunity to see so much of this season!

I just saw Eclipsed a few weeks ago. It was a different experience, because although I've seen many Broadway productions, they've all been musicals. I'm not really sure how I felt about it, but I loved the actress who played Number 2. One thing I would suggest is to familiarize yourself a bit with the Liberian civil wars. There was a placard outside the bathrooms that had information about them, but the lines for the bathroom were so long that you really couldn't stop to read the entire thing. It would have been helpful to have that information printed in the Playbill. In any case, enjoy your trips. They sound wonderful.

Hamilton...sigh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter