The Disney Box Made Me Do It TRIP REPORT STARTED SEE SIG LINE

I love my DSLR. It's not one of those real expensive ones, but it's a good entry one--a Nikon D60. For what I take, it's awesome. For instance:

POFQ--Dec, 2009:

IMG_0285.jpg

Spectro--Dec 2009:

DSC_0191.jpg

Holiday Wishes--Dec, 2009:

DSC_0336.jpg

Main Street--Dec, 2009:
DSC_0115.jpg

Animal Kingdom--Dec 2009:
DSC_0014.jpg

Edisto Island, SC--Sept 2009:
DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

June 2009:

DSC_0511.jpg

POR, June 2009:
DSC_0016.jpg

Epcot, June 2009:
DSC_0487.jpg

Those are just some samples. I have 2 lenses. One 18-55mm kit lens and one 55-200mm lens. And I've learned something about those lenses:

I hate switching them. Hate. It. Immensely. Why did I even waste money on the 55-200mm one? I've been shopping for a new lens for close to a year, since I first realized how aggravating the switching was going to be. And I found the one I wanted. . .and yesterday, I picked it up:

IMG_0738.jpg

The Nikkor 18-200mm VRII lens. Yep. I'm still realing from the expense, but I think finally I have something I can walk around with 80% of the day, get the zoom I really want, and not have to change it.

Which comes in handy when you are walking with three kids. . .who wants to change a lens then?

And while I was at it, I picked up a few more things to help me in my endeavors. . .

Camera bag
IMG_0741.jpg

A couple of books:

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Maybe, just maybe, I'll improve my fireworks photography. . .

I was just going to ask you if you were updating this Pre-TR!! I guess I didn't have to!! I hope you don't mind but I stole your side view of the castle and set it as my PC's background!! It is very pretty!!!! Thanks in advance :) My Dd almost bought ur camera and ended up with the Canon since it was a better deal and included the extra lense and camera backpack thingy!

I love photography and need to read more about my camera. Please let me know if you like the Dummies book. That SC night pic is amazing.

I was just going to ask you if you were updating this Pre-TR!! I guess I didn't have to!! I hope you don't mind but I stole your side view of the castle and set it as my PC's background!! It is very pretty!!!! Thanks in advance :) My Dd almost bought ur camera and ended up with the Canon since it was a better deal and included the extra lense and camera backpack thingy!

You are welcome to it--I love that picture and that is my favorite angle to get pictures of the castle--it's from over on the bridge between Cosmic Ray's and the hub.

I love photography and need to read more about my camera. Please let me know if you like the Dummies book. That SC night pic is amazing.

Thanks, Sadiedog! I'll let you know about the book. I like that it's in color. Years ago the Dummies books were all black and white!

I'm with you. :thumbsup2 I prefer the book with color.

Hey Amanda! Your post about Photography 101 drew me in.

You spoke from my song book...I also HATE changing lens. Up until recently, I only had my kit lens (which zooms, but is obviously not a good lens), or my 50mm, which is extremely limiting, especially with my kids who move a lot faster than me!:rotfl:

Like you, I just shelled out for a great lens that I plan on keeping on my camera at least 80% of the time. I'm a Canon girl, and got the 24-70. I still have the basic Rebel, but was told the lens will affect the quality of your photos far more than the body. So for now, that is where I chose to put my money.

I was hesitant at first because I heard so many people say it is very heavy and akward to use, and I have no strength at all in my arms, but it really doesn't bother me at all!

I will be taking my 1st trip with the new lens soon, and I am very anxious to see what it can do! :)

I'm with you. :thumbsup2 I prefer the book with color.

Oh, yeah. Color is the way to go!

Hey Amanda! Your post about Photography 101 drew me in.

You spoke from my song book...I also HATE changing lens. Up until recently, I only had my kit lens (which zooms, but is obviously not a good lens), or my 50mm, which is extremely limiting, especially with my kids who move faster a lot than me!:rotfl:

Like you, I just shelled out for a great lens that I plan on keeping on my camera at least 80% of the time. I'm a Canon girl, and got the 24-70. I still have the basic Rebel, but was told the lens will affect the quality of your photos far more than the body. So for now, that is where I chose to put my money.

I was hesitant at first because I heard so many people say it is very heavy and akward to use, and I have no strength at all in my arms, but it really doesn't bother me at all!

I will be taking my 1st trip with the new lens soon, and I am very anxious to see what it can do! :)

I know what you mean about the lens being the biggie. I looked at the Canon Rebel, but went with the Nikon because I was used to Nikon. No other reason. I waited a long time to get this lens, and I'm already happy with it.

Great PTR!

Your children are the same ages as mine. My oldest DD will be 11 on 5/22. DS just turned 9 on 1/10 and DD just turned 7 (at WDW!!!) on 1/21.

We don't have plans YET for a family trip. My next trip is my birthday with DS. My girls & I have APs that expire 7/29 so I'm thinking we really should go to WDW in July to get more value out of those.:rotfl: If airfare wasn't so expensive I probably would have already booked it. I should just go ahead & book because I don't think airfare will drop and I know I'll just have to go.:laughing:

I love my DSLR. It's not one of those real expensive ones, but it's a good entry one--a Nikon D60.

I have 2 lenses. One 18-55mm kit lens and one 55-200mm lens. And I've learned something about those lenses:

I hate switching them. Hate. It. Immensely. Why did I even waste money on the 55-200mm one? I've been shopping for a new lens for close to a year, since I first realized how aggravating the switching was going to be. And I found the one I wanted. . .and yesterday, I picked it up:

IMG_0738.jpg

The Nikkor 18-200mm VRII lens. Yep. I'm still realing from the expense, but I think finally I have something I can walk around with 80% of the day, get the zoom I really want, and not have to change it.

Which comes in handy when you are walking with three kids. . .who wants to change a lens then?

You will love your new lens. I have a D90 and bought the 18-200 with it instead of the kit lens. It is on my camera at least 95% of the time. I bought a flash (SB 600) last summer for a family trip to Cape Cod to celebrate my MIL's 90th birthday. I really love the flash!

Hi, there. You are the first pre-TR I have found who will be there the exact same time that we will! We also thought long and hard about Universal, but we have pretty much decided to wait and do a long weekend Universal trip at either Thanksgiving or Mardi Gras next year. That way we think the crowds will not be as bad, everything will be finished and thoroughly checked out, and we will be able to take our time and see everything. Plus we would stay at a Universal hotel so we could get the Universal fast pass equivalent. So we will see. We may not be able to resist it! :rotfl:

I need to start on a pre-TR but just haven't gotten around to it yet. My son and his family are going in late April so I have been helping them with plans. He hasn't been in years and DDIL has never been. So I have been making their ADR's and planning their days. They just decided to go a couple of weeks ago, so getting good ADR's has taken a fair amount of time surfing around online to see if anything has opened up. So far I am doing well though - just got them Chef Mickey's for their first morning, which was a priority! :banana:

I :love: Fuzzy Disney math. I have somehow convinced my DH that if we stay at Pop Century that it's like Disney is paying us in the way of free dining.

82 dollars a night for Pop, 42 pp for the dining plan X2 would be 84 for the dining plan-82 for dining equates to Disney basically gives us a room for free plus $2 a day to stay there. Yeah.. never mind that we stay preferred room and that it's 10 dollars more a night and that it's an additional 10 dollars for weekend nights. And it definetely doesn't matter that we are doing deluxe this year seeing that my 2 year old eats like an 18 year old.... :rotfl2: Poor hubby doesn't stand a chance when it comes to Disney Fuzzy Math... Are the disney water parks worth it? I was thinking of not doing the water parks and doing the WWHP one day instead. What do you think?

Great PTR!

Your children are the same ages as mine. My oldest DD will be 11 on 5/22. DS just turned 9 on 1/10 and DD just turned 7 (at WDW!!!) on 1/21.

We don't have plans YET for a family trip. My next trip is my birthday with DS. My girls & I have APs that expire 7/29 so I'm thinking we really should go to WDW in July to get more value out of those.:rotfl: If airfare wasn't so expensive I probably would have already booked it. I should just go ahead & book because I don't think airfare will drop and I know I'll just have to go.:laughing:

You will love your new lens. I have a D90 and bought the 18-200 with it instead of the kit lens. It is on my camera at least 95% of the time. I bought a flash (SB 600) last summer for a family trip to Cape Cod to celebrate my MIL's 90th birthday. I really love the flash!

I'm gonna have to get that flash. Maybe a Mother's day gift?

I bet you will get gorgeous pictures from Disney!! Looking forward to seeing more :)

I can't wait to show th epicture I got of my daughter with it. It looks professional!
I can't wait to see the photo's

Me, too!

Hi, there. You are the first pre-TR I have found who will be there the exact same time that we will! We also thought long and hard about Universal, but we have pretty much decided to wait and do a long weekend Universal trip at either Thanksgiving or Mardi Gras next year. That way we think the crowds will not be as bad, everything will be finished and thoroughly checked out, and we will be able to take our time and see everything. Plus we would stay at a Universal hotel so we could get the Universal fast pass equivalent. So we will see. We may not be able to resist it! :rotfl:

I need to start on a pre-TR but just haven't gotten around to it yet. My son and his family are going in late April so I have been helping them with plans. He hasn't been in years and DDIL has never been. So I have been making their ADR's and planning their days. They just decided to go a couple of weeks ago, so getting good ADR's has taken a fair amount of time surfing around online to see if anything has opened up. So far I am doing well though - just got them Chef Mickey's for their first morning, which was a priority! :banana:

Let me know when you start your PTR. We'll have to compare notes and see if we can have a DIS-Meet sometime!

I :love: Fuzzy Disney math. I have somehow convinced my DH that if we stay at Pop Century that it's like Disney is paying us in the way of free dining.

82 dollars a night for Pop, 42 pp for the dining plan X2 would be 84 for the dining plan-82 for dining equates to Disney basically gives us a room for free plus $2 a day to stay there. Yeah.. never mind that we stay preferred room and that it's 10 dollars more a night and that it's an additional 10 dollars for weekend nights. And it definetely doesn't matter that we are doing deluxe this year seeing that my 2 year old eats like an 18 year old.... :rotfl2: Poor hubby doesn't stand a chance when it comes to Disney Fuzzy Math... Are the disney water parks worth it? I was thinking of not doing the water parks and doing the WWHP one day instead. What do you think?

That would be fun--doing WWoHP instead of the WP--especially if you have pool time planned.

We're going to forego WWoHP, because dh has never done the Water Parks and we are planning a Universal only trip next year. I think it might be crazy busy when we are there.

I love my DSLR. It's not one of those real expensive ones, but it's a good entry one--a Nikon D60. For what I take, it's awesome.

COLOR]

We'll be there around the same time. Loving your report so far.

I bought the Nikon D5000 last year, and I have a LOT to learn about night time photos (i.e. fireworks). I might just buy that book! I also am worried about carrying the camera all day, not getting wet, etc. Any suggestions? I'd love to know how you've managed as I really want to get some great pics. I'm thinking we'll need to buy a new bag that's a camera bag/backpack that will carry our stuff and our camera.

TIA!

Lori

Looking forward to seeing the photos. :goodvibes

It's coming!

I bought the Nikon D5000 last year, and I have a LOT to learn about night time photos (i.e. fireworks). I might just buy that book! I also am worried about carrying the camera all day, not getting wet, etc. Any suggestions? I'd love to know how you've managed as I really want to get some great pics. I'm thinking we'll need to buy a new bag that's a camera bag/backpack that will carry our stuff and our camera.

TIA!

Lori

I got a real good camera backpack at Best Buy (a LowePro). I also have a sling type. I plan to carry the slingtype mostly in the parks during the day when I don't need my tripod, but the larger one in the evening when I need all of my camera gear.

I took this onr a few weeks ago with my new lens. I had to share it with you all. . .

20100308099.jpg

Also, I have an idea for the next few weeks. I have 8 weeks until our trip, and I want to do our top five must-dos for:
1. POR
2. DTD
3. MK
4. EP
5. DS
6. AK
7. Water Parks

That leaves me with one place a week, and a little time for the last minute stuff, so tomorrow I'll start with our top must-dos for Port Orleans-Riverside.

TIA!

Lori
Here's a great (and inexpensive) way to keep your camera dry and he's a diser too!
http://www.willcad.org/image_cameraponcho.shtml

I took this onr a few weeks ago with my new lens. I had to share it with you all. . .

20100308099.jpg

Also, I have an idea for the next few weeks. I have 8 weeks until our trip, and I want to do our top five must-dos for:
1. POR
2. DTD
3. MK
4. EP
5. DS
6. AK
7. Water Parks

That leaves me with one place a week, and a little time for the last minute stuff, so tomorrow I'll start with our top must-dos for Port Orleans-Riverside.
Great photo!

Happy planning.:banana:

Here's a great (and inexpensive) way to keep your camera dry and he's a diser too!
http://www.willcad.org/image_cameraponcho.shtml

Great photo!

Happy planning.:banana:

Oh, yeah--and the bag I got (the smaller one from Sam's Club) has a cover in the bag to keep it from getting wet.

Great photo...that's a keeper!

Love the top things post idea. I'll be reading!:)

Thanks for the compliments, ya'll on the picture. I have some real good ones of daffodils, as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter