The Disney Box Made Me Do It TRIP REPORT STARTED SEE SIG LINE

Situated on the Sassagoula River, Port Orleans-Riverside offers the charm and elegance of the South. Being a Southerner, born and reared, POR has a quiet charm that reminds me of home. When I enter POR and the Cast Member/Security Guard says, "Welcome Home", I truly feel as if I am home.

So, what are the 5 things we're looking forward to the most?

5. The grounds of POR are beautiful. Just walking through them is breathtaking:

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

4. The quiet pools. These truly are quiet. Also, because they are close to the laundry, I can get some laundry done while the kids relax and play at the pool.

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

3. The Riverside Mill food Court. This is one of the best food courts on Disney property, in my opinion.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

2. The ride from POR to Downtown Disney, which my kids have never done, but I enjoyed beyond belief in December.

DSC_0013-2.jpg

Sure this is a picture of POFQ, but it's the same boat. Still a beutiful photo:
DSC_0031.jpg

1. Coming onto property and hearing, "Welcome Home."

I can't wait.

I agree with you, the food court is pretty amazing!!!! I wish they had spots at the quiet pool where you could refill your drink. It would be nice to be able to sit out in your spot all day and have drinks on hand :) The main pool is pretty cool as well :)

beautiful photo!

You make me so excited for POR! I have never stayed there. We really enjoyed POFQ. I was hesitant to try POR but I am reading really good things about it lately. :goodvibes

I agree with you, the food court is pretty amazing!!!! I wish they had spots at the quiet pool where you could refill your drink. It would be nice to be able to sit out in your spot all day and have drinks on hand :) The main pool is pretty cool as well :)

That would be great, just sitting by the pool with a drink all day. The kids like Ole Man Island, but they are not strong swimmers, so even though there are life guards at the larger pool, I feel safer being at a quiet pool with maybe only one other family there.

beautiful photo!

You make me so excited for POR! I have never stayed there. We really enjoyed POFQ. I was hesitant to try POR but I am reading really good things about it lately. :goodvibes

I've stayed at both and I prefer POR for the food court, the theming, the pools.

What summer vacation is complete without a dip in the pool, the lazy river, and an indoor theme park? Even though dh has never been to Tyhpoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, he is in for a treat. This leads me to our top three choices for the Waterpark and More option. . .

3. Disney Quest. We've never been. But this year, we added a day to the trip, just to be able to go.

First stop. . .Pirates of the Caribbean-Battle for Bucaneer Gold:

Inhabit a world where blade meets blade, booming with swashbuckling action. Steer your pirate's ship, fire cannons at marauding buccaneers and race for the gold! (Guests must meet a minimum of 35" to ride)

That, among others, puts Disney Quest on the top five list. . .picture source: www.disneyworld.com

DQ_1_998.JPG

2. Blizzard Beach.

DSCN3410.jpg

Image1168.jpg

The Polar opposite of waterpartks, they call it. I call if FUN with all caps. Teamboat Springs, the downhill double dipper, and a wave pool as calm at Myrtle Beach on a summer's day. It's the kids' favorite, with a lazy lazy river and a chairlift up to the top which translates to less walking. You won't find us on Summit Plummet, which has a 120 foot drop, but you will find us in runoff rapids. I just hope I'm not the odd one out and in the closed tube!

3. Typhoon Lagoon.

DSCN3405.jpg

DSCN3404.jpg

DSCN3400.jpg

Image1110.jpg

The Typhoon Lagoon surf pool has large waves that are cued by a whistle just before a tidal wave comes through. Although Stinky got injured in it last year, we're gonna take it from the edge next summer, and put water shoes on his delicate little feet.

Add in Crush n Gusher, the water coaster I am dying to try, Gangplank falls (in the photopass picture), and the most creative lazy river I have ever seen, and you've got a full day of fun!

I am happy to announce that this pre trip report has become a 2 for the price of one deal.

I've decided to "play the game", so to speak on the Disney Website. What is the best way, people often ask, to get a Pin Code? I don't know what helps, but this is what I did:

1. I logged into the website. I ordered a trip DVD.

2. I deleted all saved offers and saved 3 new ones--one at POP, one at POFQ, and one at BC.

3. I made 2 itineraries for the same time. One I said I was staying at a Disney resort. The other I was not.

4 days later. . .I had a pin code in my email box. I already had used the same deal (20/30/40% off) for my May/June trip. I also was toying with the idea of having another solo trip in the coming year. I looked at the 2010-2011 school calendar and found a long weekend where we teachers were going to be furloughed. After all, if we have to miss work and not get paid, I should make the best of it, right?

I booked a trip with the pin code.

Rather than start another PTR, I'll combine the two. The solo trip is October 14-19. I'll drive down the night of the 14th after work and take the 18 and 19 as my two personal days I get per year. I originally booked with the QSDP, but decided that was no fun, so I changed today to the DxDP with 5day park tickets with park hoppers.

I can't wait!

Congrats on your pin and booking another trip!!!:woohoo:

You should keep your eye out on AP rates when those are released for Oct. You might want to upgrade to an AP if you're going to take your DD next summer.

Congrats on your pin and booking another trip!!!:woohoo:

You should keep your eye out on AP rates when those are released for Oct. You might want to upgrade to an AP if you're going to take your DD next summer.

I'll definitely think about the AP. Thanks!

First let me give you all an October update. The long and the short of it is this: Sweetie is going with me. DH and I keep saying we need to do something special for her because she is such a good kid. This is the special thing! :cool1: I can't wait. I upgraded first to the reg dining plan, then I dropped to a standard view room, the hoppers, and upgraded to the Deluxe Plan. I made ADRs this morning:

Breakfasts:
Cape May
Kona
Boma
Chef Mickey's
Crystal Palace

Lunches:
Grand Floridian Cafe
Yak and Yeti
Tutto Italia

Dinners:
Flying Fish
Narcoossee's
Cinderella's Royal Table
Le Cellier

At which point I'm going to eat my words. I said I'd never do another Food Report. Obviously, with those ADRs, I have to.

Stay tuned! Updates on the May/June Trip forthcoming!

As the sun rises over the Sahara Desert, far in the distance, there is one lone tree. Natives refer to it as Itacen rai. The first French called it L'arbre de la vie. We English translate it as The Tree of Life.

Entering the lush foliage of the park known by travelers as Animal Kingdom, the Tree of Life dominates the vast landscape. Anyone who wishes to travel through the Kingdom of the Animals must pass it.

One may ask what there is to do in this Kingdom which divides The Mesozioc era, Asia and Africa by a tree and a series of bridges and footpaths. Our family has a top five to have any of you SCREAMING for more. . .

5. The Tree of Life--Home of It's Tough to be a Bug and many other carvings of animals those who came before us left behind. It's magesty can be witnessed at all corners of the park.

DSC_0494.jpg

It is particularly beautiful at night.

DSC_0694.jpg

4. Kilimanjaro Safaris. A 2 week voyage is cut down to 20 minutes due to elephant poachers in the area. This ride brings you closer to many animals than you ever thought possible!

DSC_0079-1.jpg

DSC_01042.jpg

By the way, the upside down tree? It’s a fake.

IMG_1086-1.jpg

3. Dinosaur. In a piece of technology unknown to most of us, you are taken back in time to grab an Iguanadon for study. Watch out for the meteors!

DSC_0036-1.jpg

DSC_00352.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

2. Kali River Rapids. White water rafting. One of the funnest, yet that same wettest things you can do. When going down the hill, pray you are not facing backward! It’s obvious we were!

DSC_0283.jpg

And don’t ride it in 30 degree weather. I promise you’ll be buying new clothes! We did!

IMG_1015.jpg

1. Expedition Everest. Climb Mt Everest to brave what no other person has braved. . .the destruction left by the Yeti! This is my personal favorite in all of the World!

IMG_0266.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg

So there you have it—brave the Kingdom of the Animals. From the Dinosaur age to Africa and Asia, there’s something for everyone!

I have never been to TL so if you are planning on doing a TR I will look forward to reading about it. DisneyQuest, granted it was almost five years ago now, we had a good time but were surprised even with the admission cost you still have to pay for some of the games. We really enjoyed doing the make your own rollercoaster than you get to ride it. Lots of fun! :yay: for another trip!! I tried a combination of what you posted last night hoping it would kick me out a pin code. Which resort are you staying at for the second trip? BTW, love the top fives you are posting!! :goodvibes:

First let me give you all an October update. The long and the short of it is this: Sweetie is going with me.

:cool1:That is great!!!! You will have such a great time!!!!! Does she know yet?

I usually leave the kids I leave behind a little "surprise". Often something to keep them busy while I'm gone like a book or movie. Then I bring them back something from Disney.

Now you'll have to take the other 2 someday too.:rolleyes1

I have never been to TL so if you are planning on doing a TR I will look forward to reading about it. DisneyQuest, granted it was almost five years ago now, we had a good time but were surprised even with the admission cost you still have to pay for some of the games. We really enjoyed doing the make your own rollercoaster than you get to ride it. Lots of fun! :yay: for another trip!! I tried a combination of what you posted last night hoping it would kick me out a pin code. Which resort are you staying at for the second trip? BTW, love the top fives you are posting!! :goodvibes:

DH is really looking forward to the lazy river. DS wants to do the make your own roller coaster. That and Pirates are the sole reasons for us going.

As far as the other trip goes--I'm staying at POFQ. I think for just my daughter and me it will be perfect.

:cool1:That is great!!!! You will have such a great time!!!!! Does she know yet?

I usually leave the kids I leave behind a little "surprise". Often something to keep them busy while I'm gone like a book or movie. Then I bring them back something from Disney.

Now you'll have to take the other 2 someday too.:rolleyes1

SHe does know--she got input on the dining reservations. I don't know what I'll do for the kids that stay behind, but it will be great. The plan is to take each of them by themselves. DH has been taking one at a time to Baltimore for the past few years. It's my turn to take each of them somewhere.

DH will probably take them to the movies or something while Sweetie and I are in Disney.

DS wants to do the make your own roller coaster.
The design your own coaster Sum of All Thrills at Epcot is really cool!!!!!

I tried it for the first time in Dec with DD(10). It was really fun! We did a few inversions.

My DD(7) also did it on her bday trip in Jan. She was tall enough to ride (48") but not tall enough to do upside down (54"). It was still lots of fun to ride without going upside down. She LOVED it!!! I think it might have been her favorite thing we did on the whole trip.

I've never been to Disney Quest so I can't compare.

Loving your report! From one Fuzzy Disney Mathematician to another, I like your style! And I think I'm going to try our your PIN trick. I have gotten them in the past but for the first trip, I didn't know you could use it if you booked a package and this time, I got one for the time we are not going. I'm thinking of trying under my husband's name and then maybe unbook and rebook if something comes up. Looking forward to continuing with you!
Jessica

yay on the 2 trips!

Those sound like great ADRs! Another solo trip would be nice but now you have some company and that is great! My DM keeps saying her and I should cruise together since my Dd and Dbro have no desire to cruise. Perhaps this fall if we get all the moving issues resolved!!

Yay for another trip!

I love all the pictures from POR. It does look beautiful. We have never stayed there. I enjoy visiting all the different resorts so someday we'll have to check it out.

Great lists too! We've never done DisneyQuest either.

The design your own coaster Sum of All Thrills at Epcot is really cool!!!!!

I tried it for the first time in Dec with DD(10). It was really fun! We did a few inversions.

My DD(7) also did it on her bday trip in Jan. She was tall enough to ride (48") but not tall enough to do upside down (54"). It was still lots of fun to ride without going upside down. She LOVED it!!! I think it might have been her favorite thing we did on the whole trip.

I've never been to Disney Quest so I can't compare.

We'll have to look at that in Innovations, as well. DS is like 60 inches, so he could do the inversions, but I don't think he'd make a ride with them.

Loving your report! From one Fuzzy Disney Mathematician to another, I like your style! And I think I'm going to try our your PIN trick. I have gotten them in the past but for the first trip, I didn't know you could use it if you booked a package and this time, I got one for the time we are not going. I'm thinking of trying under my husband's name and then maybe unbook and rebook if something comes up. Looking forward to continuing with you!
Jessica

I played around and it worked! I could not believe it!

I think I could make a living off of my Fuzzy Disney Math.

yay on the 2 trips!

Those sound like great ADRs! Another solo trip would be nice but now you have some company and that is great! My DM keeps saying her and I should cruise together since my Dd and Dbro have no desire to cruise. Perhaps this fall if we get all the moving issues resolved!!

I am excited about taking Sweetie, because she is really a lot like me and will be up for anything--we are planning this together, and that makes it fun!

Yay for another trip!

I love all the pictures from POR. It does look beautiful. We have never stayed there. I enjoy visiting all the different resorts so someday we'll have to check it out.

Great lists too! We've never done DisneyQuest either.

I love POR. It's easy to check out POR if you are in DTD. Take the boat (near Rainforest Cafe and Goofy's candy shop) to POR and then you can take the bus from there to whatever park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter