The dreaded car seat or not question for my 5.9 year old!!

I am planning on bringing my Britax Roadster booster seat for use in the car and on the plane. Has anyone used one before on the plane? Does it fit comfortably in the plane seat?

Originally posted by chloesmommi
I am planning on bringing my Britax Roadster booster seat for use in the car and on the plane. Has anyone used one before on the plane? Does it fit comfortably in the plane seat?

I am fairly sure that you can not use that seat on aircraft. Only seats with the 5 point harness and the FAA sticker will be allowed aboard. There is really no need for a "belt positioning" booster seat on an airplane as there is no belt to position, only a lap belt. There is no benefit to being "boosted" with a lap belt only.

I would check the seat through as luggage and avoid lugging it through to the gate. They will likely gate check it for you at the gate anyway and not allow you to use it.

Sorry....
TJ

TJ,

Even if we don't use the seat on the plane, will they force us to gatecheck it? It's a brand new booster seat (rather expensive), and I'd rather carry it on than risk it getting damaged as has happened to one of our strollers in the past. It is a fold-up type seat, where the back collapses and stores in the seat base, very compact.

Dianne-

You best check with the airline but I "assume" that if it meets the carry on restrictions you could put it overhead. Also remember that they now limit the # of carryon items per passenger.

I know what you mean about risking damage - although we haven't had anything damaged in gate check - only checked luggage.

I would go ahead and call the airline just to be sure. Do you have another booster you could bring (or borrow) and check through just in case?

TJ

Evenflo makes a low back booster with a seatbelt adjuster for around $20. It is fabulous and will fit in the overhead or very easily in your suitcase. We have two just to use as spares.

I am curious where the restraint quote came from beattyfamily? I had read that FL law requires carseat/boosters until the age of 6 or 60 lbs like CA does. (Not that it matters, I'm an 8 and 80lbs kind of a mom! Just curious.)

Originally posted by disneymom3
Evenflo makes a low back booster with a seatbelt adjuster for around $20. It is fabulous and will fit in the overhead or very easily in your suitcase. We have two just to use as spares.

I am curious where the restraint quote came from beattyfamily? I had read that FL law requires carseat/boosters until the age of 6 or 60 lbs like CA does. (Not that it matters, I'm an 8 and 80lbs kind of a mom! Just curious.)

Hi Julie

Florida is still a 4yrs State (not even a 40lb requirement IIRC), they tried to pass a 6/60lb law but it failed. So "Legally" a 4yo can ride without a CSR in Florida. I am in agreement with you, my 8yo (41lbs) and my 6yo (36lbs) are both still riding in booster seats.

TJ

My DS is 7 years old. I always bring a booster (an inexpensive right fit at $20) for him. My nieghbor thinks I'm crazy, but I don't like him in the car without a booster. I do check it through with the luggage.

I bring my DD's convertable carseat with harness on the plane. She will be 4 in feb and I like her in this seat.

I would bring your own seats and NEVER trust the rental agency to provide them.

Sandra

TJ
Thnks for the response. At least now I know I'm not breaking the law if the airline looses our booster someday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter