• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Dream hit the dock in Nassau

We just got off the Dream last week and the Captain was Daniele Aschero

Thanks for this info! I've never heard of him before. Really was hoping it wasn't my favorite, Captain Henry. In 10 cruises we've had him all but two cruises.

Never mind. I found out from a crew member on another page who updates which Captains and CD's are on the ship, that this was Captain Henry's first week back :sad:

From the video it looked like the main propellers didn't engage in time. That is, the bridge asked for power from the main propellers, but for whatever reason there was a delay in implementation. It's almost immediately after contact is made that the main propellers came on.

At least I hope it was some sort of mechanical failure. Otherwise, the ship didn't just clip the edge of the dock, the ship hit it full on in the center. That would be a really bad misjudgement on the part of whoever is piloting the ship.

Pilots are rarely compulsory. Even with a pilot, the Captain never relinquishes responsibility for his/her vessel. With the technology in both propulsion and electronics on these ships, this is a pretty big “bonehead” event.

Given all the current technology, any guesses what happened? And do you think it'll be an easy fix?

As I’m watching it all unfold on the video I’m thinking, “Yup. I remember doing that very thing in my brand new car.” Backing out of a parking spot and didn’t see the planter box. I felt like a huge idiot. ::yes::

Given all the current technology, any guesses what happened? And do you think it'll be an easy fix?

Now that i’ve seen the video, I think that was just a plain old “loss of situational awareness.” Too much sternway and they realized it too late. They attempted to check it but it takes some time to stop that much ship. Dream also has fixed blade propellers so it takes a bit longer for them to respond versus controllable pitch.

What crazy to me is that you would have thought that one of those white shirts would have been a spotter and nobody apparently thought to radio up and say. "uh you guys are about to hit the peer"

I'm guessing they lost control from the pilot house. There appears to be nothing happening prop wash wise as they drift towards the pier. Then suddenly LOTS of prop wash from both main engines and stern thrusters. It could be 'ah **** or in nicer words 'loss of situational awareness' but there's a bunch of folks on the stern ready to handle lines .... I'm SURE they were telling the bridge what was happening .. foot by painful foot.

I've had similar happen to me. Once I was heading towards a still closed drawbridge and moved the throttle to stop, to slow and wait for the bridge to open. NOTHING HAPPENED and we continued at speed. PUCKER MOMENT ..... seems someone in the control room had pressed the button shifting control away from the bridge - it was a BOO BOO. It takes just a little time to switch back, but it also takes a little time to figure out what's wrong and in that time the ship - a BIG mass - continues to move. In my case I had room to maneuver and full rudder allowed me to do a 360 turn and stay away from the bridge until the situation was in hand.

Like I said, just a guess .... all it takes is for the wrong circuit breaker to choose just the wrong time to pop, or someone to press the wrong button and OOPS ....

ya could say they got off lucky
enhance

If you're gonna hit, aim for something FLAT .... corners hurt more ....

if they'd caught the corner they might have a gash rather than a dent.

Last edited:
At least they didn't take out the whole pier...?

Sorry. Video had language.

Basically a Celebrity ship took out a whole pier in Alaska (I believe Ketchikan) last season (2016).

Last edited:
***PLEASE READ***

Hey gang, while we appreciate everyone's willingness to share here, the video that has been posted multiple times cannot stay here as it includes vulgar language. Please refrain from posting it again. If anyone can find a way to remove the sound from the video feel free to share that version.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding!

Hope this was mechanical or technology failure as opposed to human error, although both are a little scary. I find it hard to believe it was human error as the ship appeared to be backing straight into the mooring platform with no sign of propulsion, instead of going to either side of it, with no signs of bad weather. I feel bad for Captain Henry as I assume he is ultimately responsible. How does something like this get investigated, and is there a public report eventually, as with aircraft accidents? Best of luck to all involved!

They apparently were working on it all day today at Castaway Cay and will do more work tomorrow while it's at Port Canaveral. This is based on what someone on the ship is saying and from pics that they posted today.

Yep. That's what is posted on Scott's blog.

Looks to be much like many car things - LOOKS much worse than it is. Clearly it is nothing that is affecting ship operations or she would not have been cleared to leave Nassau.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter