The Fort in July Pre TR & TR

Modifying my thread a little bit here. If I remember the way we used to do this was we'd track who was going to be at the fort in this main thread for the month and then we can add direct links to folks posts in this top thread. So feel free to add your name to the roll call if you're headed to the Fort in July :)

ldubberly - Monday 7/2 through Friday 7/6
rml0win - Friday 7/6 through Sunday 7/8
ultimatefans - Saturday 7/7 through Saturday 7/14
rajak73 - Thursday 7/12 through Monday 7/23 Premium
mickeyfan0805 - Saturday 7/21 through Thursday 7/26
proudmomof4 - Friday 7/27 through Sunday 7/29
BishopArc - Monday 7/30 through Friday 8/3 Premium

Last edited:

July huh? :beach:

Ed, you're right.. lol For me, as a Florida Resident, I usually refuse to visit after May until September but couldn't resist with the new camper lol

He's from Florida. Knows what he is in for. Besides, he has a brand new camper!

True but it's still gonna be hot as all get out and all those people lol Normally the wife and I just look at each other when we see the crowds and say "Oh look, we're the only ones here" lol We laugh about it and still have a good time. (But yes, secretly I'm dreading it and will likely hang out at the Fort more than the parks :)

We will just miss you. We are coming in for a quick weekend trip 7/27-7/29 to try out our new camper. We picked it up over Memorial Day weekend and are anxious to try it out, but due to hubby's job we will not have a weekend off together until July. We had our popup (2006 Fleetwood Utah) for 12 years and finally upgraded to a Flagstaff Shamrock hybrid. We have longer trips planned for September and November (Thanksgiving at the Fort). July can't get here fast enough!

Last edited:
Just a repost of what I had in my original first post. Modified it so others traveling in July could use this thread. @proudmomof4 , we'll wave at ya on the way out :)
--------------
Well I guess I'll go ahead and kick off July's thread since I'm back ;-) I've got to tell you all I am so excited. I've gotten everything booked and haven't even told my wife yet lol

We're kicking our July trip off by staying at Gilchrist Blue Springs State Park in High Springs, FL (just north of Gainsville'ish). From what I understand, they've just re-opened it and it's beautiful so we'll stay here on Sunday 7/22 - https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Gilchrist-Blue-Springs
Gilchrist 2017-11-02 092_0.jpg

At the fort from Monday 7/23 - Friday 7/27

On the way home, we're going to stay at Silver Springs State Park just outside Ocala. I remember my parents taking me here as a kid and riding the glass bottom boats. We'll be staying here on Friday 7/27 - https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Silver-Springs

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. We normally don't do summer vacations but with the new camper, I just couldn't resist. This one's going to be epic! :mickeyjum

Well after our maiden voyage this weekend, had to carry it in for service lol. Few trim pieces coming off, lights on the awning don’t work, but the worst was a small water leak in the kitchen sink line which happened overnight and split some wood of the cabinets :sad2:

They promised me they’d have it all fixed before our July Fort trip. Campers are just like boats but hey, that’s what a warranty is for!

I'm sorry you had issues on your first trip out, that really stinks. That's what makes me nervous about having to wait until 2 months after we bought our camper before we can use it for the first time.

July 12-23 here! Premium, Not my ideal time to go but have to go when the DDS and family can go.

I'm sorry you had issues on your first trip out, that really stinks. That's what makes me nervous about having to wait until 2 months after we bought our camper before we can use it for the first time.

Yeah, I would highly suggest taking at least a short weekend trip somewhere just to "shake it down". The place we went was only an hour away from our house so it worked out well.

July 12-23 here! Premium, Not my ideal time to go but have to go when the DDS and family can go.

Welcome aboard! Yeah, we def. don't normally go in the summer either but wanted to since we just got the camper. We'll wave at ya when we check in on the 23 lol

We will be there for a short time, July 6, 7 & 8. Fort only, no theme parks. Then to Jetty Park for a week. Our fall trip to the fort will be for 18 nights beginning the day after Thanksgiving.

It appears there is a July trip report thread too. Maybe could be merged. Anyway we will be there for a short visit. July 6,7 & 8. Fort only, no theme parks.

July 7-14. I'd visited the Fort a couple of times over the years, but finally got to stay for the first time in 2015 (also in July). I literally cried as I drove through the gates! That stay was in a pop-up, this will be in the cabins. Traveling with great friends that we have not really seen in 4 years, their first visit to WDW. I don't expect I will post much (if at all) during our trip as I'll be focused on my people. I've stayed in values, moderates, and had one 3-night stay at the Grand Floridian. Fort Wilderness is my absolute favorite. The people are the best. CANNOT WAIT!!!!

So a question, DW if looking at directions, coming from I-75, to Florida Turnpike, then 429, do you turn on Western Way and can I get on World Drive from Western Way, Buena Vista drive? I have directions I must have wrote the last time and just curious if they are right or not. Thanks

July 7-14. I'd visited the Fort a couple of times over the years, but finally got to stay for the first time in 2015 (also in July). I literally cried as I drove through the gates! That stay was in a pop-up, this will be in the cabins. Traveling with great friends that we have not really seen in 4 years, their first visit to WDW. I don't expect I will post much (if at all) during our trip as I'll be focused on my people. I've stayed in values, moderates, and had one 3-night stay at the Grand Floridian. Fort Wilderness is my absolute favorite. The people are the best. CANNOT WAIT!!!!
We'll overlap by a couple of days, Have fun!

So a question, DW if looking at directions, coming from I-75, to Florida Turnpike, then 429, do you turn on Western Way and can I get on World Drive from Western Way, Buena Vista drive? I have directions I must have wrote the last time and just curious if they are right or not. Thanks

Western Way is the easiest way, it dumps you right on to the property. Just follow signs for Magic Kingdom to get to the Fort. There are some back road ways earlier on 429 that you can use to get to the Fort but Western Way is the "official" way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!