The Good News Is......

My parents were planning to come out from Vegas to help a little with my grandparents, but Nevada's governor just placed a travel advisory for the state. Anyone who returns to the state must quarantine for 14 days. So they are going to ship me supplies and ship to my grandparents' house If they don't ship them, I guess I'll just do my grandparents' shopping. My grandpa is sad my aunt won't let him go to the store anymore lol, even for the senior hours.

My cousin has started using Instacart. It's working really well for her. She's in So Cal and the slots are about 4 days out so you have to be able to do a bit of 'advanced planning'. The price is pretty reasonable, $3.99/delivery or $9.00/mo.

Good news for all you bakers out there: King Arthur Flour is starting to restock their online store! All purpose flour and yeast are now available to order! :)
Thank you for this news. Today was the first morning I didn’t check their site. I’m very excited by this news. I’m hoping for a few of their mixes too.

Good news for all you bakers out there: King Arthur Flour is starting to restock their online store! All purpose flour and yeast are now available to order! :)
Thank you for this news. Today was the first morning I didn’t check their site. I’m very excited by this news. I’m hoping for a few of their mixes too.

Not to ruin your excitement but perhaps to temper it...these items are on backorder with a shipping estimate of 3-4 weeks from now.

I have enough for now, so back ordered a few weeks is good enough for me. I just keep hoping to grab 1 Extra bag.

Lol. I get it. I keep 20 or so pounds of flour and at least one 16 oz brick of yeast around all the time because I bake all my own bread, pizza dough, hamburger and hot dog buns plus a bunch of other stuff. Fortunately I was at the height of my supply still when this all hit. Nevertheless, when I opened a couple bags of flour the other day, I had the little thought in the back of my brain of gasp, what if I won't be able to get more? I'm good for a while still. I actually have been checking the site in the hope of ordering some yeast to send as a surprise to my sister who is almost out.

Not to ruin your excitement but perhaps to temper it...these items are on backorder with a shipping estimate of 3-4 weeks from now.
Even this is progress! Not so long ago, I couldn't even add these items to my cart -- the option just wasn't there. This morning I was able to add them to the cart and place an order. Things are moving in the right direction! And half of my order is in stock and ready to ship now. :)

Good news for today: Amazon had paper napkins, paper towels, and disinfecting wipes! The BG Boogie paid off again! I haven't seen those items in stores or online in at least two weeks, so this was a big help.
How is everyone holding out with supplies? Post here if you need something and we can post if we find it available somewhere. If that can make someone's life easier and less stressful right now, that's good news!

Good news for today: Amazon had paper napkins, paper towels, and disinfecting wipes! The BG Boogie paid off again! I haven't seen those items in stores or online in at least two weeks, so this was a big help.
How is everyone holding out with supplies? Post here if you need something and we can post if we find it available somewhere. If that can make someone's life easier and less stressful right now, that's good news!
If anyone lives on the Westside of LA, I have had decent luck at the Target in Culver City and the Whole Foods in Playa Vista. The Target randomly restocks paper products during the day, but they are located near the women’s dressing rooms, not the cleaning supplies. I generally go late morning or afternoon when the crowd dies down. Also the Whole Foods hands out the carts individually after sanitizing, and when you enter the store they have gloves as an option and sanitizer for your hands. Annnddd the shelves are well stocked with meat, baking supplies, etc :)

I am so thankful I am in a school district with an incredible set of administrators and teachers who managed to convert the entire 4th quarter's curriculum to e-learning, by giving up their spring break. We only lost 2 days of instruction time thanks to their dedication! And I am thankful that my family is still healthy, and while we don't have all the supplies we normally would have, I'm also thankful that we haven't had to go without. DH and I both normally work out of our home, but not getting out of the house to help shuttle kids back and forth has had an impact. Still looking for ways to force more normalcy on myself - but I also cleaned out my closet and felt great sending off clothes to folks who will need them more than I do.

Also thankful that my sister's family may be able to join mine in WDW over Thanksgiving; their trip was to DLR over spring break, and while they may be able to go in June anyway, they are also now looking at WDW with us too - airfare is finally doable for them now. And if things aren't open again in June, it will still give them a special Disney trip this year.

Disney+ has been worth every single cent. I am thankful that CMs were paid through mid-April, and thankful that it appears they will still be taken care of through federal and state aid.

This thread has been a bright spot for me, so I wanted to take time to add a few happy thoughts too.

...DH and I are on Day#22 of only leaving the house to walk the dogs and now San Diego is recommending wearing face masks.

I’ve used large fabric gift wrap squares / Furoshiki to fashion some masks without sewing:
https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/how-to-make-a-diy-no-sew-face-mask-with-fabric-and-hair-elastics/
Amazon sells fabric by the yard so I’ve ordered a couple of yards and now just have to find a super simple pattern for masks with a better fit. Has anyone sewn their own face masks?

...DH and I are on Day#22 of only leaving the house to walk the dogs and now San Diego is recommending wearing face masks.

I’ve used large fabric gift wrap squares / Furoshiki to fashion some masks without sewing:
https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/how-to-make-a-diy-no-sew-face-mask-with-fabric-and-hair-elastics/
Amazon sells fabric by the yard so I’ve ordered a couple of yards and now just have to find a super simple pattern for masks with a better fit. Has anyone sewn their own face masks?
I haven't yet, but I'm interested in trying. Not an expert sewer by any means, but a simple pattern might be doable. Let us know if you find a good pattern and how it works out.
Right now, we're using cycling masks that we got after the wildfires. DH was using his for woodworking, too. But until we can get more filters, the washable masks look more practical. And I'm wondering how to put a LGMH on a face mask -- then if there are any other DISers in the vicinity at a store or out walking in my community, we could recognize each other and at least wave. :)

LGMH on a face mask
😷 ::MickeyMo I haven’t seen LGMH mentioned in a long time! I must have been on the wrong forum. 😉

I saw a recent Disney family craft article on how to make Mickey heads using a hot glue gun and colored glue...the end result was a pushpin but that would be easy for the mask!

The good news is....

I scored a mega-pack of TP early this a.m. at the grocery store and I made other shoppers laugh (while we were waiting in line for the store to open) when I said, "I'd like a fast pass for this, please. Looks like we are all here to rope drop the grocery store today." :rotfl2:
LOL a couple of weeks ago when I went to target the line wrapped around the building before opening. I thought to myself "THIS is why you go to Disneyland. You learn how to wait in lines"

😷 ::MickeyMo I haven’t seen LGMH mentioned in a long time! I must have been on the wrong forum. 😉

I saw a recent Disney family craft article on how to make Mickey heads using a hot glue gun and colored glue...the end result was a pushpin but that would be easy for the mask!
Do you happen to have a link to this article?? It would be great if lots of us could start wearing LGMHs on our masks -- the trend starts here!

Do you happen to have a link to this article?? It would be great if lots of us could start wearing LGMHs on our masks -- the trend starts here!
Here it is. I remembered because of ‘pushpin’ whereas I think of them as ‘thumbtacks.’ 😊
https://family.disney.com/craft/mickey-mouse-hot-glue-pushpins/
And here’s a simple face mask pattern. Interfacing can be added for more filtration but I’ll use broadcloth and see if that is fine with older DD. She’s a scientist and is directing a team of biotech scientists whose focus is the genome sequence of the Coronavirus...that’s why we are on serious lockdown here.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/health/how-to-make-your-own-mask-wellness-trnd/index.html

Here it is. I remembered because of ‘pushpin’ whereas I think of them as ‘thumbtacks.’ 😊
https://family.disney.com/craft/mickey-mouse-hot-glue-pushpins/
And here’s a simple face mask pattern. Interfacing can be added for more filtration but I’ll use broadcloth and see if that is fine with older DD. She’s a scientist and is directing a team of biotech scientists whose focus is the genome sequence of the Coronavirus...that’s why we are on serious lockdown here.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/health/how-to-make-your-own-mask-wellness-trnd/index.html
Thank you so much for these links! And please tell your DD that we're sending her good thoughts and tons of support from this board!
Okay, DISers, you have the link -- now go make your LGMHs and wear them proudly! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter