The Janky Stroller Rides Again COMPLETE

Claudia is adorable!
We think so! I read a comic about how being a true feminist Mom means not commenting on your child's appearance. But my kids are the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen and I tell them that every day. I must be a bad feminist.

When Clark was little he'd say to himself, "I'm handsome. I'm so handsome." It made me laugh because he heard it a lot from me.

My apologies, that whole section was a little personal, but I love when people share notes, like when @StarWarsMomofGirls! admitted that Gwen cried waking up at unlawful o'clock to ride ROTR or when @MeghanEmily shares her food allergies or about not feeling well in the parks.
I haven't read all of your trip report yet. I am so behind on everyone's since we were away. But I read this section! Your experiences will help someone else for sure!!! That is what I love about the trip report section, it's real people's experiences. And we all have different challenges and what we find fun.

I will come back and read your trip report!

I got through the first page. I will be back for more!

At the very least, I do owe @GrandCalifornian, @chunkymonkey, @TheLittleKatie, @Lesley Wake, @fractal, @StarWarsMomofGirls!, and @Clarf some reading material because I've read every single one of your trip reports.
I am honored to be listed with the rest of these folks! They are all great trip reporters.

I might not post all of it but I will definitely post all of the painful parenting moments because I love the honesty of that and I owe it to StarWarsMomofGirls! who is past that age now but always gave a vivid picture of what it's like to parent at the parks. So Ariella, I dedicate all my children's meltdowns to you. Thank you for braving that and writing about it. I thought about Gwen crying at five am when you woke her up to ride ROTR when my daughter had a meltdown so awful at the parks that she gave her little baby self a headache.
It's silly to pretend kids are perfect. They aren't they are kids! We are all not perfect and I always feel better knowing that we are all in the same boat! Poor Gwen! She was so tired but both of them still talk about that day. Core memories were made that day! So, I was worth it.

Claudia found this trip wildly overwhelming and spent a lot of time asking for her pacifier and a "big squishy nap". Her favourite thing was being carried and being held
I can't image what it was like for her! Disney is alot and being a covid baby must have added to it!

His favourite thing was being left unsupervised in stores and buying way way way too many toys.
ha! you had your hands full watching kids and adults!

The only reason David and I have photos of ourselves is we had five count'em five date nights. I don't even want to say how much we spent on babysitting but I will if someone asks because @StarWarsMomofGirls! taught us all that honesty is the key to winning the Disboards.
Nice!!! Listen, I don't judge, we are all on vacation on these trips! And everyone has to make it a vacation how they want! I literally refuse to do laundy on a Disney vacation but so many folks here, would rather do it on the trip. It's what works for you! I keep saying we are going to leave the girls and do a date night but I am always too tired.

David and I discussed whether I should bring my computer. His response was, “You need to bring your computer, it is bad when words fester in your head.”
At least he knows you!

The night before we left to drive to Winnipeg, I declared that we had to make sure Claudia’s car seat could fit on our GoGo Baby. This lead to an hour of troubleshooting car seats on the GoGo Baby and David installing and uninstalling car seats until we figured out which car seats were coming with us installed in the van and which ones were riding in the back ready to check at the airport.
Good thing you did that when you did!

This is like a ride!” It occurred to me that the GoGo Baby was the exact angle of the Haunted Mansion ride when you go backwards into the graveyard. So I turned off all the lights and dragged Clark around the house singing the Haunted Mansion song.
That is hilarious!

ast forward to two hours later; Clark did a convincing impression of a vomit fountain, he got David, both chairs in the room, a significant portion of the carpet, all of the towels in the room and himself. Claudia escaped unscathed somehow. Our tiny ginger ninja who avoids barf
Oh dear!

We used leftover breastmilk - Claudia was weaned months ago - to treat her eye and it WORKED.
Wow! That is impressive.

It's rated to -25 Celsius or -13 Fahrenheit. We live five hours north of Winnipeg. The kids are wearing their car jackets. Most of the winter, they need parkas just to be transported the five minutes to school.
Man, did your bodies go into shock with the temp change?

I watched anxiously to see them come out the bottom. First Clark shot out and ran back to where they had started. Then Claudia appeared, Clark hung back a little, “This way Claudia!” he shouted beckoning her back towards the padded steps.
So cute! He will be a good big brother for years to come. I think your kids are basically the age of our first trip with the girls! Gwen was just shy of 3. I almost don't remember the girls at that age.

Clark said, “Feel my hair, Mom.” It was soaked with sweat, the little guy had been working his butt off not only to make sure he had a good time but to include his sister too.
hilarious!

Caption: I gave the kids string and Froot Loops to make a necklace as soon as we got onto the plane. Claudia didn’t eat hers because she was too busy drinking a month’s worth of water. ;)
your kids are well behaved because you were prepared. I hate when parent expect their kids to behave and have nothing to help them do just that.

Sitting there in the gondola, it was perfect. The three people I loved best in the world were in one spot, together in my favourite place in the world, all of us were the kind of tired that comes from being really happy.

Love this! Totally teared up at this line, that is the best feeling ever!

I got through the first page. I will be back for more!
Ariella! You have no idea how much these comments meant to me. Last weekend our basement flooded and we spent the whole day cleaning up the mess. I sat down to take a break and saw that you had posted these. They were a highlight on a very soggy day. Thank you for reading.
It's silly to pretend kids are perfect. They aren't they are kids! We are all not perfect and I always feel better knowing that we are all in the same boat! Poor Gwen! She was so tired but both of them still talk about that day. Core memories were made that day! So, I was worth it.
All your parenting moments are my favourite parts of your trip reports like the first trip when Gwen was old enough to ride with Morgan and you got to ride alone with Andy. Or all the times when Gwen was hangry.

Or your recent trip when the girls were on the opposite side of the car in Midway Mania and the ride broke down and there was an alarm going off. I would have been panicking so badly. Claudia would have been losing her mind. We got one of each; Clark is a copy of David and Claudia is all me.

Also, I remember reading a trip report about a family meeting @Lesley Wake, and Lesley offered to watch them. I'm trying to remember if that was you or @Clarf; it was a trip reporter with two kids. When they left hteir kids with Lesley, I thought, 'I would do that: Here kind stranger from the internet, have my children, I'm going to ride alone with my husband.'
I can't image what it was like for her! Disney is alot and being a covid baby must have added to it!
She's all bravado at home but out in the world, with new things, she takes so much time to warm up. Clark begs to go back but Claudia is like 'meh', I'd rather go to the local ice cream shop for a cone of Unicorn Toots.
ha! you had your hands full watching kids and adults!
It's terrible, but having my Dad along is like having a half a child. He loves being a grandpa so much that he won't set boundaries. David was bad for giving the kids cake for every meal but my Dad would give into everything.
Nice!!! Listen, I don't judge, we are all on vacation on these trips! And everyone has to make it a vacation how they want! I literally refuse to do laundy on a Disney vacation but so many folks here, would rather do it on the trip. It's what works for you! I keep saying we are going to leave the girls and do a date night but I am always too tired.
Our date nights started at four pm and we always went easy on those mornings. Kid's Nite Out has a minimum of four or five hours. We always did more. Tip, tax and parking fees in, we spent about nine hundred on four nights. That said, we tip well. It's twenty-eight dollars an hour for two kids but your girls are totally at the age where you could leave them with an arcade card and instructions not to talk to anyone. My parents used to give my sister and me a bag of quarters and we'd use the hotel arcade.
At least he knows you!
My whole family was happy about this, I sent out a couple of updates while we were away.
Good thing you did that when you did!
I know! I didn't even realize that only certain car seats are permitted on airplanes. It meant that the one we brought was narrow enough to be installed in the seat. I don't know how I'd feel about Claudia just sitting with a lap belt.
That is hilarious!
Most often Claudia is our jokester but sometimes Clark will do funny things.
This one was on me. I should have known better than to eat in Portage.
Wow! That is impressive.
Breastmilk is like a wonder drug. The nursing group I was in put breastmilk on everything. It's like Srichacha sauce but for ailments.
Man, did your bodies go into shock with the temp change?
It felt like every time we left the room or a building to go outside like we were forgetting steps; the mittens, the hat, the parkas, the boots, warming up the car so the kids didn't get frost nip from the five minute drive. . .
So cute! He will be a good big brother for years to come. I think your kids are basically the age of our first trip with the girls! Gwen was just shy of 3. I almost don't remember the girls at that age.
Ahhhhhhh. Don't say that. I feel like I can't remember my kids being babies and it is so so sad. That said, I love this age and I love that every month the kids become more independant. It's so different traveling with a preschooler versus a baby versus a school age child. I'm super excited for our next trip because we won't have a stroller.
your kids are well behaved because you were prepared. I hate when parent expect their kids to behave and have nothing to help them do just that.
I actually brought way too much to amuse them. It took up so much of the suitcase and we didn't use ninety percent of it. The parks and the whole process of traveling were just way too exciting and novel. I'll still bring lots of activities with me next time particularly since we will be driving 36+ hours down but nowhere close to as many toys. We bought a lot and then the kids were so busy that we didn't use them even when we were at the hotel.

Probably helps that any time David sees a Pick-a-Brick wall, he fills up a cup.

Thanks for commenting!

Love this! Totally teared up at this line, that is the best feeling ever!
It was. As much as the rides, the hotel, the food and the experience was amazing, it was so nice that we got to enjoy being together. We saw one family struggling and griping at each other. It made me squeeze David and the kids into a hug because I was so grateful for everyone's good attitude.

Well, it's been a year however, I made an agreement with myself when we got home from our trip in 2022, that before I started planning for the next trip - planning meaning paying - that I had to do three things.
1. Finish my trip journal, edit it and make it into a book. ( I did this, I'll take a photo.)
2. Post said trip journal on the Disboards to thank all the lovely people who post their trip journals.
3. Make a scrapbook of our trip.

According to the New York Times, to truly be happy, you have to embrace anticipation. What that looks like before a trip is thinking about it and planning it and running through it in your mind. I think, in writing about our trips, that I get to posticipate (yep, fully just made up a word there) but it does bring me a lot of joy. So yes, having a print, e-copy and photo record of the trip is excessive, but it's also fun and so me.

Our photos arrived in May which is when I stopped posting. I finished the albums in the summer but then took a writing course so was wicked busy. However, we are officially 500 days out (ish) from our next trip, so before i put down my creditcard, I better keep my promise. So here goes.

Sunday February 6, 2022 – A Duck Stole My Pull Up : Part One​

Today was our first rest day of the trip. The only rest day of the whole trip for everyone but me and Claudia. Clark was the perfect age- he went hard until he fell asleep. Claudia was too young, she went crankily until she begged to nap and then woke up and demanded to be held. It’s hard being two.

We slept in until eight thirty. I woke up and my feet hurt just lying in bed. It made me think of the trip my family took to Ottawa when we stayed in Gatineau and my parents had us walk allllllll the way across the bridge every day into Ottawa and alllllllllllll the way back to the hotel each night when we were finished seeing the city. That trip, I woke up in the morning, thinking, “My feet don’t hurt,” only to stand up and think, “Wait, they do.”
k1pf5vqGxZS0bXJT0CwdOGtDjk017mtjeALi86ibQsE_89-E3qlwqIncefulrLV5cU-h7ZPbexcFDY3b_hYyMORkF_pan_CGxIyBmuUkL5JgHQznVUw0SV-Q6XkK4SSNzheH7JOiV_U

Caption: The Drawing Room, where we hung out in the mornings.

My poor little boy, we’d been putting an average of 20,000 steps in each day and his little legs were shorter than ours. He also doesn’t have orthotics. Clark didn’t complain once about his feet though. He complained when he had to wait in a line for longer than fifteen minutes but would march across the park to ride a ride.

At one point in the trip, we were walking across the Magic Kingdom and Clark complained his feet hurt. Blisters are serious business at Disney World and can derail a trip, so I plopped him onto the nearest bench, peeled off his socks and shoes and inspected every inch of his feet.

“They hurt from too much walking, Mom. My heels hurt and my toes hurt. Can I have a piggyback?”

I still checked each foot for a blister but it felt like when I was driving to Winnipeg and thought Clark was choking, so in a flash I pulled over at the side of the road and whacked him on the back upside down while he yelled, “Mom, I don’t need this!”
uxgMEuZKFiW6UrSGlVFHZcYisHerLvD9ckU167PaAsUgnU1tj1yznZKW1qhOG-QgVyWAay4v9Zegr8L3zEXPtijWqH6AigjZAnWo8oWzoCJ6btxHBugqKlq6-uuojQ1njkWMuNcHCnE

Caption: Goodbye Beach Club and your pirate ship waterslide. ~Whispers like Belle at the end of Beauty and the Beast~ I love you.

Clark walked so much during the trip that he wore down the soles of his shoes half an inch. Which means one thing:

I’ve become my mother.

We frantically packed and gave the kids a hodge podge breakfast of whatever was left in the fridge. Claudia ate, Clark didn’t. Clark has figured out that he can hold out until David buys junk and then eat exclusively junk. Claudia is super picky about what junk she will eat. Cake? No more than a couple of bites. Weird coconut chocolate thing? No thank you. Sweet croissant thing? Noooooooo. But fruit and cucumbers, she has been into this trip. Also cheese.

And Gogurt. All the Gogurt.

Once I had packed up the room enough so that I didn’t feel bad leaving David to do the rest, I took the kids down to the pool. I felt sad that we didn’t use the pool every day. The pool and the proximity to half the parks was why we booked the Beach Club.

The kids and I went straight to the man-made sandbar. It was so cold that we were the only ones in the pool. The lifeguard shivered in her jacket and pants while she watched the kids and I play in the sand. They provided dozens of buckets and shovels for the kids to play with on the sand bar. Since there were no other kids there, we built elaborate structures with all the pails and shovels. Clark waded around the sandbar searching for more pails and shovels while Claudia sat and played.

qEoIXsW0qzloTCTVPvmPB9TzVQtGbipieO-sGgL3oC3QjatQNF0fp6vbPqGBHGAR_mgOeKfvkP9Od3SlG-C8uAl6LPCZi_HbH69VUApWTWHmaZolM4c_PFkm7G9ZdxIbWSiP78qEwl8

Caption: Not pictured, the penguin swimming happily in the lazy river who asked, “Is it supposed to be this deep?”

It didn’t take long for Claudia’s teeth to start chattering so badly that she couldn’t speak properly so we went in the hot tub. Claudia sat on the step slowly warming up. She loves watching other kids but is desperately shy when they talk to her. Clark on the other hand will tell you his life story in the most long winded way possible.

David showed up shortly after having given our bags to bell services and wrapped Claudia in five towels and whisked her away to the Boardwalk Bakery. We’ve decided to stay at the Bay Lake Resort next time so David will really miss the Boardwalk’s pastries.

Clark and I gathered our courage and jumped into the lazy river which was so so so cold after the hot tub and super chilly when the wind would blow on us. I loved sitting with Clark on my lap, just floating around. It was overcast so with my hat and face covering which starts at my nose and ends at my clavicle, I was comfortable. Of course I had a weird UV dress on too.

I forgot to put Clark in a life jacket this time so I was extra careful when I would shift him around on the floatie. Man is that lazy river deep. Clark was aware of this too and would say, “I’m falling off!” with a note of panic in his voice whenever we weren’t balanced. He had good reason to panic too. I can’t even believe that Disney would make a lazy river that is ten feet deep.

There were times this trip when Clark drove me absolutely bonkers but it was never a question of responsibility. More than anything this trip has brought home to me just how grown up my little boy is. He carried heavy bags without complaint, walked kilometer after kilometer, gave his sister toys he was playing with because Claudia was losing her mind. He was a really good little boy.

After that, even though it felt like the Antarctic, Clark still wanted to go on the little slide behind the pirate ship, so we headed over there. Both kids are getting more confident in the water, between our trips to the cabin which has a water slide and this trip but Clark still needed me to be right at the base of the slide to catch him.

We toweled off and changed in the pool’s bathrooms before heading back to the villas. Tom Bricker mentioned that he worked in the drawing room for hours without anyone ever coming in so that was where I planned to have Claudia's nap. We found David and Claudia sitting out enjoying a feast from Boardwalk Bakery. David had picked up the crumb cake and the almond croissants again. Clark happily ate those while Claudia mowed down on GoGo Squeez and grapes.

I got Claudia changed and honest to goodness, she was smuggling a pound of sand in her bathing suit bottoms. There was so much sand wedged in her bum, her little cheeks looked like a geode. I’d forgotten to pack her a pull up in the backpack even though she’d yet to even pee in one all trip. Claudia told David that a duck stole her pull up which was why there wasn’t one in the bag.

My Dad arrived to take David to the airport to get our rental car and I took the kids to the drawing room for some quiet time. I wrote postcards while Claudia napped and Clark played Angry Birds, helped with postcards and did the rest of his Jump Math book. He did about fifty pages this trip. He’s an excellent mathematician.

Just like Tom Bricker said, over the course of three hours, only two people came in. When David returned from the airport, he bought mac’n’cheese and pulled pork from the Beach Club Market Place and a hot dog for Clark. When Claudia woke up she was delighted to see another GoGo Squeez.

Please prepare yourself for a photo tour of our massive rental house. It isn’t bragging because if any of you had wanted to come, you could have. There was that much space.
wzScHHTZOj-C6ioFwJDcz18VXRGwfuvEOwWruI4ceWxwIH6GHTYOCCT-EL-r6jTYN5_M2Cvei-UlVZMf2URV0iBN3LTgOjQCPNsV2ESl8nROihfCkNXwr88j3HJswXPfp-7hKPnF1dI

Caption: The only reason to do a split stay- for the kids to sleep in Buzz Lightyear’s space ship. I thought Clark would object to Claudia getting to sleep in the ship but he seemed to understand that she was too little for the top bunk. There was also the novelty factor.

Also, the reason we had this HEEEEENORMOUS house was because when we booked the trip, my sister and her family and her mother-in-law were supposed to come and my Dad was going to spend some nights there too.
IV2MaysAv5hc-virSPF-wnUmeGyxo20JEXhslVZiuFBg-i7SXn4tK90iK_gSyie6hQcyrquAxM0usoUd-5f7-acBl2YVmJ8IWWJMrIYHDdbk-rPZ5zWxCSeJyyZhneGC84YVIxhCxAQ

Caption: Did I mention the castle bed?

vtkYL-37-eq8lWKnkt64BUKOK-OKzSiTRkMtg3cbA7zFwsB1japaCSWAb6GzZ3jz38NGJ6Xa3TTd-YxWwS_OzTM6b43x70ebptMCb9KNdOEJ1aj2cPB4qzks6cY_lT2hoSKXfyw90E4

Caption: Or the pumpkin carriage bed? I know, I’m just bragging at this point, but I’m not even done!

I9NGDlK8vVJkH4YvpIsBi2Jwzi5PomrO98tZ28nLZ_l3jG8Rhyq5inqgqjx8Iu54paJWYmMvX2lbkXunzzik1c0SSSyD_Cev7QsKS2UmQjJDX85c_f09X5qNIUuB53Zg4R3QK-tV1qU

Caption: There were murals everywhere
There was a white railing below this mural above the stairs. When Claudia saw a photo of it in the listing she exclaimed, "That's my crib!" I think she was a little disappointed that she didn't get to sleep under Tinkerbell.

1S3MoYFic355qT_M0qSVJBUu3kmcu1mX7f7hb-wB9esa5Z25pSiOi1S61dD3BfMRTC80v0SsfUVtzpZ3H2OZkmZoNrSSod6vQ6NkVjQIb8LhIAMkoLBwmSgaxxmCAH3N-je4hvZ8oPM

Caption: Also bizarre, disturbing closet nurseries.
Forget Patrick Swayze and "Don't put baby in a corner" I think every parent's motto should be, 'Don't put baby in a closet'. So weird. And there were more!

VODdLayqK9wl1zN3-V7myGyxVynz97Hdm4CAFnNjFuS9Lerx251MwoSG3kihiQOLPUdt0XySOidZjpyrHZK60-lW5TgoxHz_mZHfdacDFehEPDzsu7s9g-jEsOb_HjmOSTvUrgIIOIY

Caption: Plural. In case you wanted to store multiple babies in closets. Also these pictures do not capture how cramped and frightening this setup was.

My church used to have vertical cribs which were in essence baby cages, these closet nurseries could go head to head with them in terms of disturbing childhood amenities.

ueNhtgFu0WF4Ryu2VVyd1U3BXTcLdpGH_mUh55QiE8DaN8zGtXXV5OVMnOTYlnMfcOafl_3q-wyNMjN3Ai4Ml3MV090FVMj9Bv5TbO-cV5WoAu9ggvepPj1jBV9K_QGbAMPepGrfj24

Caption: There was a train table and a Lego table.

The train table had tracks but no trains however I brought some from home. The Lego table had no Lego. David remedied that immediately and bought the grey building flats from Walmart when we went grocery shopping.

sxHL0IVx93vn_-eFQXTsEODczzx0UESkKey8oO10AtKpe1lfKpLjIc4w1w9KONXN6IFAHF-g-fyxQy4iYIHtn_hiVrGqKMbP_dz1PLmdArhKk9FjdPSjCr4tiGtJD25MGcBQn8V6fBs

Caption: The Under Sea Room.

This house was so large, I think we went in this room one other time, to show my Dad what a large house he had rented us.

Qa8IIz-YjTV2lpN0jOwpW8OI7rU2Z5RRdVVl5OCP7eUYROW-FGi3NVyCrvLyY_CgVa0lTWMdofwHvIRDdxRA55pOhuJerJB0KaN5tXzh7oDXXqfXjYNRbh6U8aK-CQ_wc4V-rVSpvIk

Caption: And a giant octopus because the house wasn’t extravagant enough.

This image is so out of focus I didn't even bother blurring Claudia's face. She was so excited to run around and show my Dad all the different rooms in the house.

SJAWzAdFpyMtgMZyaFzKUfPkS2opzjmLAdSpxZRkUFyk6QxC069y7Rk3bgehkMUt_sp71AfFIdCcpanBy7pWQR8dvMnpBUEh7I26z3zNsSmFVkKQ7iPjGTH7kekibCFhupu1spZ83WE

Caption: The view from the second floor walkway. Fancy pants no?

The house was five thousand square feet. It was insane. There was a garage packed to the gills with baby stuff: high chairs, strollers, double strollers, umbrella strollers, another pack and play. This was alongside the billiard table and the foosball table. Unfortunately despite not housing cars, it smelled like a garage which is to say gasoline, so we never used it.

wRK4M44C1IpENZgtzpd7BjwtxF7YQI-TFfj-6i9zjbqbcoOaYid_xf2zf-rv_9NzD0W4rT_MZIY636DTZhsxuyAieGbDGNTg0eTT0XzFxuEDPr1s-c50w8N9lToeiR3A_Pivx76st-g

Caption: Our private pool because that’s how we roll. Like Leonardo DiCaprio. Only we had intended to fill this pool with children rather than supermodels.

vpYztXxkzXKAcnnOZRU2qjb7d5jaD6fvji4WaA7T648L4pfTsAYhEcF1A3_oavCFL3ADlN6-ebn-_xsAigkZP88Vfvs0dktJxHtWejnP6kji07tIRj27gCBBn5OT9ji5dVMRaJn7Hxc

Caption: This was not our house but our house’s mirror image. It was yuuuge.

Then it was time to go to our house off property. When I originally booked the house, it was going to be our family, Diana’s family and Diana’s mother-in-law staying here with a bedroom for Dad too.

Then the federal government instituted the no daycare for two weeks after international travel rule for unvaccinated children. While David and I could manage keeping Claudia at home for two weeks following the trip, that was impossible for my sister and her husband.

So we stayed in a five thousand square foot house.

Alone.

Anyone who knows me, knows I have a pathological fear of bed bugs. I rip apart every hotel room and bedroom I ever sleep in. If I’ve stayed at your house, I’ve looked under all your mattresses.

This house had eleven beds. Eleven.

I ripped apart all the ones we might play on, so eight of them. There was no evidence of bugs and even with my searching, most of the time I heat or cold treat my belongings after a trip anyway so I felt ok. It was a heck of a job crouching in the pumpkin carriage where there was barely enough room for a child and a mattress let alone a small woman trying to lift up a bed to check the seams. I thought that was the hardest bed to check until I had to squeeze into the turret of the castle bed to check the top bunk where the kids had been playing. The sight was so funny that I made David take a video.

Claudia LOVED the castle room. Even the television was pink but Clark loved the Buzz room and declared he was sleeping there so Claudia slept with him.

VX81Ex-QiDGtkJ9clwEcyJ9oBU1e1UA5_pw_wkyDbokMc7HPltMcfiqy7p7SLQMyXogRGgCwx_apsvC-mZ2zRgOaNxsH9-j0kuwakv0DpeJirui1sb8GpHxtTD2GYS71NM1YN-ogPoQ

Caption: Because why not have a pink television?

The house was so large and cavernous that the kids got scared if they were in a separate area from David and me let alone a different floor. They spent the first hour echolocating by yelling, “Mommy, Daddy, where are you?” over and over while we put things away.

There was a garage packed with a pool table, a foosball table, high chairs, spare cribs to add to the three in the house, a cot, a running stroller, a double stroller, a swanky stroller and five umbrella strollers. Five! It was like this house had taken excess and dialed it up ten thousand notches. We only went in the garage once. But I took all that as evidence that the house could easily house eight families.

Then it was time to get groceries.

God in heaven, I love the American Walmarts; they’re a shrine to capitalism. There was a wall of Poptart flavours. A wall! I stood in front of the iconic blue boxes for a minute basking in their beauty. I might have heard angels singing.

pvCm-_IVHJmLvltWHLSLFuUFYI96YZy2zTVD0aWDCfVHVukFTTcIqWmYzAMh2ugM2oerIxkzCc6uSl4CHsGkhLQazzoF1jWAXiXZV3PEhcqyjVb6JsOCL6uj0eAH8icgFVXiyfSFWr0

Caption: Fun fact: Angels main source of nutrition is pop tarts. And God’s love obviously.

We probably would have loaded up on four different flavours but honest to goodness the smallest box of the cupcake sprinkle flavour was a twenty-four pack. The box was larger than a toaster. That is commitment. Not only are you choosing junk, you’re choosing the same junk flavour for a month straight. Give me a variety pack at least! So no poptarts for us.

Walmart had recently moved the cookie aisle so the old aisle was empty and we couldn’t locate the new one which was just as well – Clark had already chosen his edible treat and Claudia could not be swayed. Weird cookies? No thank you. More Gogurt? Yes please – I’ll take the one hundred-fifty pack. There would have been a meltdown had we attempted the cookie aisle.

Also as a side note, we did not see a hundred-fifty pack of Gogurt. I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, I’m saying we didn’t see it. I believe in the North American lack of portion control so I know in my heart there’s a hundred-fifty pack of Gogurt out there.

And because someone is sitting there wondering, “What in the heck is Gogurt?” Gogurt is yogurt that is in a plastic tube where you rip off the top and have yogurt on-the-go hence Gogurt.

We filled our cart with a rainbow of vegetables and fruits then headed for the checkout.

I love the parks, I love the Beach Club, I love vacations but honest to goodness there was something magical about the act of sitting down with my family at a table, near a kitchen and eating fresh, healthy food. We’d spent the previous week snacking, or eating separately or with David and I sitting on the coffee table while the kids sat on chairs at the little table in the room.

NVQ4_6Wa17YAXJHmRLrmsRW3cw5uOwJq1jSvRzt0g8OQWlloaQ4FG7LztBaTBRFBP0AAm-lby7pDTkEtMl0h0BxOW-PbhQZlgo3tPrI-Gk9mMUtJWwkG8l-tJvLgqbMSYsCtl3f4UKc

Caption: The cute mural over the dining room table didn’t hurt either.

We’d allowed the kids to pick out groceries so Clark ate his cookies after dinner. Claudia chose Paw Patrol yogurt which seeing as she’d consumed seven eighths of the box of Gogurt we bought, I thought she’d eat it.

We also somehow ended up with three, count’em three, boxes of chicken fingers. Clark wanted Minion chicken fingers, while Claudia wanted organic, oddly sweet Winnie the Pooh chicken fingers and David chose normal ones for himself.

Tpw_j8HacgcyJ-yBzBEj5zEnfjcLPqwWX2w-F_0fD9l6gylt9nfQKeyBbpe6lm9dpPOTsENXGUqWcWHqI0cUrxIiKMJJpzj5d4B1QEUYnl6BHNnfdWvBRRmxwXumMj50ImjVXdJxhl8

Caption: We needed chicken fingers to match the Minion bathroom.

Finally, we put the kids in bed; it was the first time in over a week that they were in bed asleep at eight o’clock.

That was when David realized that he’d forgotten to buy me decaf coffee. After spending the day making fun of my children for being scared of our monstrous mansion, when David left the first thing I thought was, “I hope he comes back.”

There were an alarming number of four way stops at ginormous intersections. Getting to Walmart, we went through an intersection that was so dangerous it just about made my heart stop and David declared he wouldn’t drive that way ever again. I was convinced David was going to be killed en route to the store.

As I was sitting there, the silence and cavernous dark space folded around me and I decided that the kids and I were also going to die in this gigantic house so we’d be the subject of a People magazine headline, “Family of Four Killed Tragically AND Separately on Vacation.”

Then David arrived home safely and everything was fine. Well mostly. I’d made up a story in my head about a polygamous family of twelve that we shared the house with, in order to survive being home alone. But everyone invents imaginary friends when they get scared.

For serious though, the house had seven bedrooms. Seven! And two sitting rooms and a den. There could have been a polygamous family there – not the ones who star on TLC series, more likely the quiet kind who spend their nights praying. The house had enough space that anything was possible. We’d never have known they were there.

Monday February 7th 2022 – A Night of Debauchery and Light Arson

Back to the Magic Kingdom. Or at least that was the plan until we and everyone else in the subdivision were locked inside. We drove to one exit, locked and blocked. Drove to the other exit, same deal. It was then we realized that we were in a line of ten cars doing an identical loop of locked and blocked exits. Clearly someone had made a mistake.

That was when I got out of the car, walked through the pedestrian exit which was the only one open and talked to the construction workers. They gave me permission to move the large cones and sign blocking the exit.

Except, have you seen traffic cones?

They look like they’ve been dragged through dirt then run through a mud puddle filled with toxic sludge afterwards. Gross! David moved most of the cones.

We ended up running into a family at the Magic Kingdom parking lot who were behind us in the subdivision line; they thanked us for opening the gate.

This day sealed it – we hate driving to the Magic Kingdom. After riding the stinky tram, we joined the world’s longest line to get through security. The line was so long and busy that one of the security guys was freaking out, saying he’d never seen it that long.

Wow was it busy that day. We started our day at the Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor where for the first time ever, I waited in a line that wrapped around the building. We kept Claudia happy by feeding her pork rinds in the line up. David was ‘that guy’ in the Monster’s Inc show and loved it. He even got a souvenir sticker for the role afterwards.

We’d decided to do mostly shows that day so Claudia could participate in everything. So we went to the Country Bear Jamboree next. Dad had taken Clark on it last week so Clark prepped his sister for the show. “Look over there Claudia, those heads will start talking.” The talking mounted heads really spoke to the kids; just today Claudia was telling me about how they wake up before the show.

When we came out, we saw Chip and Dale waving to us from the walkway above. We talked to Chip a little and gave his attendant some candy, he started jumping and pumping his fist in the air triumphantly. I reminded Chip that he had to share with his brother Dale and explained to Clark that not all siblings are as good as he and Claudia are at sharing.

Ferrytoystoryday45.png

Caption: It was Toy Story day.

Next we did the Tiki room. David got a delicious coconut swirl and shared it with the kids in the line up. The kids were enthralled with the Tiki Room. After that we had a Disability pass for the Haunted Mansion. The whole morning, Claudia begged for her sucky and a nap. I even ran to see whether they sold pacifiers at the Baby Care centre – they gave me a number of a pharmacy that delivers to the Magic Kingdom but the person on the phone claimed they were out of pacifiers. I think it’s more likely that the pharmacy didn’t want to deliver a lone pacifier.

I held Claudia during the preshow at the Haunted Mansion and Clark stood initially, then got scared and was a limp noodle over Grandpa Jim’s shoulder. Grandpa Jim carried him through the line up and onto the moving walkway which was no small feat – Clark weighs forty pounds. Claudia hates being on an angle so when the doom buggy tipped backwards on an incline into the graveyard, her little head periscoped up as she tried to peer around. I expected her to do this but it still made me laugh watching it.

My family has visited Disney World so often that we notice little changes to the rides. Whenever I see the heads pop up from behind the tombstones, I recall my sister Diana’s disdain the first time she saw the heads which are the kind of cheap scare you’d see at a well decorated house at Halloween. “Really?” Diana said, her voice dripping with the kind of acidic judgement that would have killed the heads were they not already dead. I love the weight of my sister’s disapproval. Particularly when it isn’t directed at me.
qG68gb1Skjwzz5WVbbEClx8p8BVkakOPFp7OBcst7qGFqVCsTthDEGnXgwFJg745lK4cpL_nSpgf8xsW42weZBLeL0huMVb1dxcLT1Wz-QEQCgqQiTALE9b3OCUrwKbG1o63O1gWWyY

Caption: We are missing a lot of on ride photos. I would have loved to see Claudia’s little baby reaction.

Claudia still mentions this ride sometimes – why did the ghost take off your hat? At the end of the ride we got the effect where the ghosts switched David and my heads. It was brief though, I think the algorithm was confused by the baby on my lap.

After that we went to Philharmagic. Claudia kept her glasses off but both kids loved the Little Mermaid part where gems float in front of you. You could see all the little children reaching out their arms to grab them and ours were no exception.

Toystoryday Grandpa JIm.jpg
My Dad got in on Toy Story day too. Underneath my pink shrug, I am wearing the adult version of Claudia's alien dress. This was at their condo.

Then we went home for Claudia’s nap. David took Clark to buy pacifiers while I prepared taco dinner for everyone. When they got back, we loaded up all the fixin’s and got into the car. I packed the kids’ bathing suits because they were going to swim in Grandpa Jim’s pool. We hadn’t paid for our pool to be heated so we assumed it was ice cold but when Claudia and I went for a dip later in the week we were pleasantly surprised.

The security at Dad’s compound was no joke. There were three men there that I could see, none of them smiled and they scrutinized David’s replacement paper license like it was printed on Zigzag rolling papers. Quarterbacks spend thousands of dollars treating their defensive lines to dinner to ensure their safety during football games. These rich people must give their security an endless stream of Shake Shack because the men were committed to vetting our identities. I’ve never been asked for my kindergarten report card before.

In the security people’s defense, we were obviously the most dastardly criminals in our disguises of round-ish, suburban Mom, toddler with a pacifier in her mouth holding a doll with a pacifier in her doll mouth and a little boy who probably had cake for lunch. I mean nobody could impersonate a vacationing middle class family that well. Did you look at us? The dad was driving a minivan for Pete’s sake; we were clearly out for a night of debauchery and light arson with the baby doll as our ring leader. My Dad is holding the baby doll in question in the above photo-clearly a plastic mastermind.

After security fingerprinted us, took mug shots and called Isis to verify that we were not members, they declared we could go.

Then the van was nearly left with metal imprints on the hood as we found out that the heavy gate swung inwards. At which point the security men bellowed for us to WAIT OUR TURN and FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS after the van narrowly avoided getting smucked by the gates.

I quickly cooked up the beef at Dad’s house and we had tacos. I told everyone the story about Clark eating tacos for the first time and how I had to cut him off after seven tacos because I was afraid his little stomach would explode. Then later when we were reading before bed, there was a terrible smell and I assumed Claudia had pooped on my lap. But there was nothing in her pants and she was indignant that I asked. Then there was another foul fart but when I asked Claudia if she pooped, Clark had the tiniest smirk and that was when I realized that it smelled vaguely like tacos. Clark’s stomach hadn’t exploded, his bum had!

Jen and Dad raved about the tacos and I was glad to see that all twenty were eaten. Then we all got into swim suits and hopped in the pool. Claudia bellowed “Jen!” when my stepmom walked out to join us. Claudia got passed from person to person but kept asking to go back to Jen while Clark hung around the edge and walked where he could touch the bottom. Then we sat in Dad and Jen’s hot tub.

After we got out, the kids did a naked baby run around Dad and Jen’s rental house. We have a running gag in our house when the kids get out of the bath, they run around the house and the adults say, “Someone catch that naked baby. He’s being naked everywhere.” The kids think it’s hysterical. So do I. My Dad seemed puzzled –why are there naked children everywhere?

We left shortly after that and for the second night in a row, had the kids in bed at a decent hour which was good, the lack of light blocking curtains in the Buzz Lightyear room meant that they were waking up at seven not eight, so we needed to get to sleep.
20220207_211512.jpg
Caption: Of course there was time to play with Lego before bed. This table got a lot of action while we were there and looked like it had its whole life. The kids both had matching Mickey and Minnie jammies from the Gap that my Stepmom bought them.

I can’t emphasize enough how giant this house was. It echoed in an eerie way and it felt like there was no way for us to fill it. When it was me alone with the kids I felt unsafe in the space, like a doe in an open meadow. From the way the kids insisted on being in the same room as us at all times, I knew they felt similarly. I thought that David was immune to the monster mansion until he turned to me in bed.

“Is this house haunted?”

I’ve had a handful of encounters with spirits but never expected my practical engineer of a spouse to ask me that question.

I focused for a moment, feeling the energy around me. “No, it’s just really big.”

“Ok.”

The house did get to David.

Attachments

• 20220207_185207.jpg
    20220207_185207.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3

Tuesday February 8th 2022 – Mike Wazowski Pixie Dust and Elephant Teapots​

My skin wasn’t terrible but we knew that I couldn’t do a morning at the Studios so David and Clark planned to open ‘Lego Springs’ as David called it. David has a massive Lego obsession. As a thirty-six year old man with a good job, he’s getting to live out his six year old dreams of owning all the Lego ever made ever.

Not actually but it certainly seems like it when package after package of Lego comes in the mail. In Winnipeg, David took Clark to the Pick-a-Brick wall at the Lego store there so this wasn’t even Clark’s first visit to a Lego store this trip. Despite this, David was determined to be the first in line for the design your own mini-figure station, something that is only available at three Lego stores in the world.
qKTkd0YDHs06TRVvpVpkAYc0afsqU4RGHtzQgWmfpO_qB42j57062KXaPZ9ScA6n1jjgSlet5VtyQNzNuUX63_EeqX8vvRDrutsSAPB5vtF5KvOp8H8o2JYFnOfbi5Gg7TnSuLO6Vkg

Caption: The Lego torsos that David designed for me being printed. Mike was a dear friend of mine when I worked as a cast member in 2009 so we have Mike Wazowski everything.

We packed ourselves into the car, were scrutinized by the security at Dad’s compound, who were still convinced that we were the stickiest, most Gogurt-covered terrorists ever and then David dropped me and Claudia with Dad. We hung out a bit at Dad’s house. Claudia got to watch Grizzy and the Lemmings in their spare bedroom. Dad loved listening to her giggles. He wanted to take a video but then of course a new, less amusing episode came on.

Then we put Claudia in her coat – I did not pack enough long sleeves and long pants this trip – and took her to the castle themed playground at the end of Dad’s street. The park was only a block away but we still took the janky stroller. Although Claudia has been walking two kilometers at daycare in the summer since she was two, this trip she decided it was stroller or shoulder, walking is for chumps.

Claudia liked wobbling on the seahorse which she called a snake. Dad’s dog Riley wasn’t technically allowed in the playground area but made lots of friends anyways. Claudia climbed up the big structure and if Clark had been there, would have gone down all the big slides. Since she was alone, she went down the little slides over and over.

Dad was concerned about some of the older boys playing too rough around Claudia.

“Dad, look around, there’s a Your-family- must-have- this-much- money-to- stay-here requirement. The kids are all upper middle class. They’ll be fine.” And they were. It helps that I know that putting a kindergarten class next to a grade eight class makes the grade eights less rowdy. Even preteens recognize that babies are babies and act accordingly.
3PSTiR6dnHsRhJF_1Q7_JR50MWrTEd5QJTb9pPQ-1yJNKJS9cw_m1qS5TBKnho9URO-0UUfOv-_Fq9Lzl0bdVcBJp6rlEaxvoxr6RFXwvr4yNFHcGLZ2yMdWpedjX_Fdzq3fjmOgzpo

Caption: Claudia about to be trampled by wealthy miscreants. Also, Claudia's hair is obscuring her face in all the following photos. As a Mom, this drives me crazy and I'm like, "How can she see?" as a trip reporter trying to give my kids privacy, I'm all, "Well this is an unexpected upshot."

Meanwhile at Disney Springs, Clark and David got some pixie dust sprinkled on their visit. David had tasked Clark with designing mini-fig torsos for himself and Claudia while David made one for me and him. David put an eye, a heart and a video game controller for his mini-fig and drew Mike Wazowski’s face on mine. When it was time for the monster torso to go to the printer, the lady working at the Lego store decided to make an extra to put on display because she liked David’s drawing that much. David asked nicely if he could have three extras and asked how much it would be and the Lego lady just gave him the torsos for free!

Before we left, Claudia of course found the swings and had to try every single one. We’d thrown around the idea of Claudia and me staying for her nap but Claudia was desperate to nap in the pumpkin carriage again so Dad drove us back to the Buzz Lightyear house.

vSoFwLO4AMG_l59mAYuvXd1LD41xc3yRrzMZqrnl1H-6mlW7tAUhJ3o5nsgKKv7Vig-Od4KtoI819RfBc7Jskvzyr7duw2IaF4Cis2gRWk9a5GABASClKdx_HOPtUp2i7Nt2Q04J-1w

Caption: Please clap for me because I managed to squeeze into this carriage six times to cuddle Claudia before and after her nap. It was . . . cozy.

It was Dad’s first time seeing everything and he was as delighted with the house as Clark was. When we were talking about Diana and her family coming, I combed through all the possible rental houses to find one that had the maximum number of amenities for our budget.

Caption: Jen helping Claudia up the ladder.
NaLX7N_T4T3xbqjnz5Y37QfIiH3znUrUAeke0cJi7h1oIpIQ4SwJXPAwUcgCncmu_p2bG4fHntHS8ZuLXu-zY9fqO78kyBF3hh3jrgFwNyPH3qxB6_ge1K0P4KxbJHeGRjO356G76hI

This house had everything; a Buzz Lightyear spaceship bunk bed with a mural of the space ranger himself on the opposite wall. There was a train table with tracks in the room. Luckily I had brought trains anticipating that some may have gone walking. There was a Lego table too but it was missing base plates, a problem David solved our first night there. And we’d brought more than enough Lego to amuse the kids.

My favourite memory of that room is when the kids asked David to read to them in the cockpit of the spaceship and David got stuck inside.

GULWxFw1-rgNYX0ArMflSzGYpmpTka-wvrkgCresnSp8iHix_xMQUOUk-Nbg-t10s0kjABE9soxdbY6-3fX8Dv7HOlFuCMl2ebcsV0HM8KtvFuiqT1uLwVUNodbWbct9ZT4k_xevgbs

Caption: I picture David looking like a human folding chair.

Dad loved the princess room almost as much as Claudia. Luckily he didn’t make the same mistake as David and climb into the pumpkin carriage. As it was, squishing into that thing to give Claudia a cuddle each day during her nap was a feat for me, I think we might have had to use the jaws of life to extract anyone larger. Dad took photos of the pink shelf, the pink TV and the pink alarm clock. The whole thing was quite enchanting.
NSr3pr2bg5dZV4IvdHBa-7UIwnh1kvCnLtbpbjlR7F88lqAzKDifPJfQR3SWCIU2O24wxkLytVtEFySaGsiym8uiDJ2Lfe4Rzjrb2wgzrkvnbiiUW9MmiC1Oyw3GP8O-revjAXKUap8

Claudia got her lone other bath of the trip in the adjacent Frozen themed bathroom. The soap dispenser was a pink pumpkin carriage which didn’t jibe with the Arendelle girls on the wall and the shower curtain but the kids loved it all the same. The movies don’t all go together because the theme of the house was excess.

Next we took Dad to see the under the sea themed room with underwater castle themed beds. There was a pink squid as big as Claudia that she gleefully showed off to Grandpa Jim.

I didn’t even show Dad all the parts of the house because it was so big and we’d closed the doors of the rooms we weren’t using. But I did show him the weird nursery/closet rooms. There were two of them. I wonder how Patrick Swayze would have reacted if he had seen them – “No one puts baby in a closet,” I imagine the deceased heartthrob saying while leading a terrified Jennifer Grey out of the unsettling, make-shift nurseries.

After seeing the garage filled with strollers, Dad suggested we take one of those for our remaining park days but we were just too attached to our janky one. How would I push something that wheeled straight or easily?

Around twelve thirty, I put Claudia to sleep, I was feeling a little nervous because I knew she needed a big nap and wouldn’t get one if we were going to leave for the park at two. So I sat in the house and wrote, waiting for David to come back with Clark.

In the meantime, David had made it back from Disney Springs with Clark and was hanging out at Dad’s house, assuming that Claudia and I were napping in the spare room. Around two, he casually asked if we were going to wake up, at which point they all realized that there’d been a miscommunication and Claudia and I were at the Buzz Lightyear house.

David and Clark sped to get us after two which was great because Claudia was still fast asleep. By the time we got into the car, clouds were gathering, luckily Dad had bought us child size ponchos so the only one who might get wet was David who’d brought a raincoat. We got everyone properly covered in the car of the Studios parking lot then made a dash for the entrance.

Dad and Jen made a later start than we did so we went to Lightning McQueen’s racing academy while we waited for them. We got to meet Cruise from the Cars franchise while out front. The only one who was remotely excited about this was me. Then Clark declared he had to pee so we missed the first show. While waiting, the kids begged for a pressed penny. It was wet wet wet so we decided to do whatever kept the kids happy and bought them each a pressed penny.One of us is excited.jpg
Caption: One of us is excited. Everyone else is wet and questioning my parenting decisions.

After that we headed across the park to see the Muppets. My goal that day was to see the Beauty and the Beast stage show. But we had missed the four o’clock show by a hair. Claudia and David settled in to watch the preshow of the Muppets while I pulled Clark around the masses of people who were hunkered down, avoiding the rain.

I like reading all the gags written on the props scattered around the room. My favourite one is the box of Miss Piggy’s satin evening gowns, and then the larger ‘More of Miss Piggy’s Satin Evening Gowns’ followed by another box, ‘The Rest of Miss Piggy’s Satin Evening Gowns.’ Miss Piggy, I see you and I understand you. I also need that many clothing options.

Then we went into the theatre. Claudia had a week of 3D experiences under her belt and it was her second time seeing the show so she kept her glasses on. She was also on my lap so that probably helped. She just clutched her little hands over the lenses whenever something was too scary.

Afterwards we went to the Backlot for dinner. Claudia of course ate air while Clark devoured his meal and part of hers. We rushed across the park to meet Dad and Jen who had saved us seats for the Beauty and the Beast Show.
9tJENJ_cBoVHIKha5AOSRFjgrxMg0WlB1wotBl5_9qTl_Px95nA3wA8Th_KQ5vcdDEWmkfkjdC10HGENh-UXK8pwjoayHAZ-AC7gzcNqKKJXNXvcJ9WaSk_6weDKPVRUrEkjInpNg2Y

Caption: There are no bad seats in the theatre. This was our view.

I love this show. I love the music, the dancing, the costumes, everything. And I remember loving it when I was young but Clark is a little boy and Claudia is a toddler so I wasn’t sure how they were going to react. They loved it. Claudia called Mrs. Potts an elephant when she came out. I corrected her but fair play, that long spout does look like a trunk and that dear lady could use a polish – she looks a little grey.

Afterwards the kids were singing the songs and talking about the play. Claudia had a little trouble following along and asked a lot of questions but enjoyed it all the same. Now at home, the kids will request the Coco song from Philharmagic and Be Our Guest.

e7jatMbbtRVALgqpStO76hFZbZfpod-zHoOB1jUXv-mAvJkCH-OFDqQAFr-dO92znKTWThGWdN5XdQoZGysBZezvRZLHYz_hznepenUsl7ozHTSbBpRglslho0msgMqEZpBabb2EFXs

Caption: I want to be buried in one of those pink dresses.

Jen and Dad had to run and get their dog from daycare so they left and we went on Midway Mania. I went with Clark while David was Dad of the year and helped Claudia play.

f_XNHaw3PzFQzo_8eu-KgjJYxsRb_mTPjxtk6pchu5Rz1KjMPtUWUce3bCIOVo1mcrTo7pNrQpDjh2z2CGwWnbkfY6kdr0DNCMcW_bR2zEd871yIse9KLFw3zYjT2VPxhH2lMeKF73k

Caption: This is at the end of Midway Mania.

We spent the rest of the night in Toy Story Land, running back and forth between Slinky Dog Dash with Clark and Alien Swirling Saucers with Claudia and doing Toy Story Mania as a family. We managed to ride the overgrown Wii game four times. Twice we ran from the exit, through the line up. Clark clung to my back as I sprinted. I think David tucked Claudia like a football. We went so fast that Clark would shriek, “Masks! Masks!” as we careened into the waiting area in the building.
c-RXopG73GeFfdqjxkZs8jSbNOr8iUaPtfm6hED0avBcR2ca1HwWn6LnIFVVC-lCJL50677z92l_ghEF3VIZvH-R7-mVMSNXbcIbFfQtlKqTEWvyCTlQIyuelCbV3gM76-rz2QovdAU

Caption: Everything in Toy Story Land is fun to look at.

After walking out of Midway Mania a final time after the park closed, Clark realized he had to pee. Cast members had already formed a line to sweep the park but I explained that Clark might not make it to the next set of restrooms so we were escorted to the family restrooms because the others had already been locked up for the night.

It was really neat walking out of Toy Story Land all by ourselves. And I was so grateful to the cast members for letting us back in. It was one of those perfect Disney evenings. Of course once we got back onto the main strip, we were no longer alone and the shops were buzzing with people. I think David pondered getting another carrot cake cookie but the line was miles long. Also, it wasn’t a cookie; it was a cookie sandwich that could feed a polygamous family of twelve.

For someone who didn’t grow up in a place with public transportation, David loves the Disney buses. All of us looked a little sadly at the Skyliner as we left. It would have been so nice to hop into a gondola and soar home rather than walking across the parking lot and fighting traffic while stressing about the GPS but even that couldn’t kill our happy buzz. It was one of the best nights of the trip.

Wednesday February 9th 2022 – This Better Live Up to the Hype​

We were determined to get an early start this day because I had booked not only Kid’s Nite Out for that evening but also our PCR tests to fly home. When we were in the airport getting tested to come to Florida, I was a ball of nerves, convinced that one of us was going to test positive and it would destroy the trip. I held my breath as I opened each person’s file and read their status then announced it individually; “Daddy gets to visit Mickey. Claudia gets to visit Mickey.” And every time I read one out, I was certain that the next result would be a bad one.

By contrast, testing to go home and this sounds terrible, but I didn’t care. As one of the town doctors, David would be sincerely missed, but we’d figure out a way to get him home, but as for the rest of us, more time in Florida sounded ok to me.

The only aspect I was stressed about was the cost. I’d done a fair amount of research and thought that I had found a free PCR testing site but when I called and explained that we were Canadians, I was told we’d have to pay.

There was also some rigmarole around whether Claudia needed to be tested. As she was under five, she did not but I had David double check all the rules that I had checked myself just to be safe. Clark was very very sad about being swabbed but I wasn’t sure how it was going to go. I knew we had to stay in the car, so were we going to swab ourselves? I was going to have to wait until the afternoon to get answers.

We went to Mickey’s Philharmagic again. This was a fan favourite this trip, they’d added a new section from Coco and the kids adored it. I gave Claudia her pacifier when she asked for it so she fell asleep in the stroller. Unfortunately it didn’t have shade or recline so she didn’t end up napping very long but she woke up a little refreshed which was good.

We went on the teacups and the line moved quickly. As I get older, I’m noticing that I can’t do the spinning rides as much; I came home with a little bit of vertigo from all of them.
dRrUjhVPuQUPAARID5nl4smsqKj1PR6fHyoiDxORfRd23y-vs246sWU2wh8TSPGvOE7WFWculU7t1e0cY6XoFbokLZx2SuZiA402i2-q75wY_BkMRhGtWHzLdu6nz2RCw5gri3CFfq0

Caption: Claudia fell into Daddy’s leg coming down the steep moving walkway from the People Mover and was sad. By contrast, Clark built a lot of confidence and independence on escalators and moving walkways this trip. Being five hours from a city, my kids rarely have the opportunity to ride such things.

After leaving the Magic Kingdom at two to make our four o’clock appointment at CVS, we rolled up and waited, and waited, and waited and Clark got increasingly anxious and declared that he had to pee. Then we were handed kits, given instructions on how to swab ourselves and told to give them back. David swabbed himself and Clark who was very sad. Finally I did mine and we dumped the kits into the drop box and drove away.
Tea cups judge me2.jpg
Caption: Yes, that is a pacifier in Claudia’s mouth. Please judge me.

We didn’t pay. I couldn’t believe it. Yes I had done my research but we were supposed to shell out $750.00 US for those tests and we hadn’t. I felt like there had to be a catch so until we got our results, I wasn’t going to hold my breath, still I felt a little delighted about it all. My research had saved us a grand.

We drove back home and met our new Kid’s Nite Out sitter. Paula only does on property so we had Barbara, her super calm demeanor made me feel confident about leaving the kids with her. Claudia seemed to bond with her right away.
10PX9ScDY5tta7-UKjCh_-M-Nob4eO0yv8DLI1bRuWiY7rPLxPjwY6KTJmpMhwMt_dsA8JJkDt7-YWDBtdnINiVOOzqFIvmEZzZHdkOst3J0O3NHwz4EdzLr_65VEBXJeDah7dt28Zk

Caption: I have a Mike shirt on under my Mike sweater. It’s like Inception for Monsters.

Then it was time to go to the Studios, David and I were going to try Rock’n’ Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror but it was packed! We booked a Disability pass for the coaster as soon as we tapped in and waited for the time to come up. That night we wore our matching Mike Wazowski sweatshirts that I’d gotten everyone. Well almost everyone, Claudia had a Minnie sweatshirt and Dad chose to be Sulley.

During the trip we got a lot of positive comments about our attire. I’d ordered Buzz shirts for Clark and Dad and Woody shirts for David and me. Mine was a men’s small, I thought to myself how much larger than a women’s could that be? The Woody shirt was a circus tent, I took reams of fabric off the bottom, the sides and the sleeves and still the sleeves were baggy.
6skzkBt5AXVGWT_fJvfyLgVzQ_lsbn-diAVKIxOui-aLggRwLHmol2ge0Zw1rxcsSIej4iLVkr15VkVYpq74aH_43YsooMgmNHMkbmjQUgtEcVg3o-XJIQ0b7l29ZEEIEoH_D9y4DKI

Caption: I also want to be buried with this sculpture.

David liked wearing the Woody shirt and telling every security guy he saw, “You’re my favourite deputy!”

I also got matching green alien shirts for everyone. Clark’s was an adult small so I had to completely take the shirt apart and make a new child size one. It turned out ok, please no one show it to my Gran though – she’ll be so disappointed with my seams, it hangs a little funny.

The shirts had the added benefit of making the kids and us really easy to spot. I think the next time we go, I will make an effort to have more matching shirts. I’m thinking the Incredibles. I mean I already have to wear long black gloves, why not incorporate them into an outfit?

We definitely did not win the award for Best Park Outfits though. That distinction goes to the Mom who dressed her infant twins as the evil step sisters and the older girl as Cinderella. You have not lived until you’ve seen twin babies wearing a green and blue bow and dress and a pink and purple bow and dress, being tiny evil stepsisters. I just about lost my mind fawning over them in the line up of It’s a Small World.

I’m both sad that I didn’t take a picture of the babies because they were the cutest things ever but also relieved because it would be awkward to have a stranger’s children as the background photo on my devices or framed on my wall.

I swear next time I’m going to make badges to carry around that say, “Mama, you won Disney.” Seriously, forget Beyonce breaking the internet, those little babies broke Disney for me.

After going on Rock’n’Rollercoaster, we booked a Disability pass for Tower of Terror but then realized that we didn’t want to hang around for two hours. I told David the wait was that long because one of the elevator shafts was down and when we got back, one of the blogs I follow confirmed that Tower of Terror was undergoing maintenance and only one shaft was running. (Thanks EasyWDW, RIP Josh.)

We’d had an issue while checking out of the Beach Club so we decided to head there, before going out for a sushi dinner. I went to the Screendoor again in search of a toy set I’d seen, they were sold out but told me where I could find one. The helpfulness of the cast members really makes a difference. I’ve never had such excellent service anywhere else.

Then David and I met up and went in search of a toy set. We visited the Swan which had been renovated since I last visited. And saw a dirty droid. I swear those things look like they’re waiting to be put in Goodwill’s dumpster. I don’t know why everyone loves them.20220209_193415.jpg

There was a candy store and if it weren’t for the fact that we’d been subsisting on junk for the past ten days, I would have filled up a bag. Forget Pick-a-Brick walls, pick a weird candy walls are where it’s at.

Then we went across to Dolphin, or Fish as we’d been calling it. David couldn’t get over how homely the sculpture was. Because I’ve seen it so often, I just take it for granted that there’s a bizarre, ugly fish sculpture that everyone calls a porpoise on one of the hotels.

The sushi restaurant was fabulous and the service was quick. But man alive was the wasabi spicy.

David warned me saying, “Go easy on the wasabi – it’s really hot.”

But I'm from Brampton, I live for spice. So I smeared a ton of wasabi on a roll and popped it in my mouth.

I’ve eaten wasabi before that’s so hot that I covered my nose because I thought flames were going to come out and I didn’t want to burn the person sitting across from me.

The nose-flame wasabi had nothing on this wasabi. A second after I put the roll in my mouth, all of my hair follicles stood on end and I thought my scalp was going to leap off my head and run out the door like something out of a Robert Munsch story. It was nuts.

Suffice to say, I went easy on the wasabi after that.

After dinner, we were at a loss of what to do. Then I turned to David, “Disney Springs?”

We hot footed it back to the Studios parking lot to pick up our car. David drove us all the way up to the top of the parking structure so I could go over all of the bumps in the parking garage. On Tuesday he’d driven down them with Clark at a high speed and both of them claimed it was like a ride. I do not want to die in a parking garage so I made David go slowly, but even then, those bumps were a lot.

First order of the night – Gideons: Home of the Half Pound Cookie.

After looking at a map, we located the famed bakery and joined the line then proceeded to wait. And wait. And wait. For serious, it was like the hot new club in town or Burberry at Christmas. This better live up to the hype, I thought.

It did.

Thirty minutes later and a hundred dollars poorer, we came out holding two giant shopping bags of diabetes. It was glorious and how.

First off, Gideon’s has figured out the entire point of cake is the icing. Their cake was three slivers of cake stuffed inside a mountain of two kinds of icing. It was everything I’ve ever wanted from life.

Then the cookies. We had a heck of a time trying to decide which cookies to buy; there was actually a limit on the number of the flavor of the day that a person could order. Wowzers, those were spectacular cookies. We split a pistachio cookie and an Everlasting Flame cookie which had chili pepper, cherry and dark chocolate.

The only thing that was better than the cookies was the coffee. David got nitro cold brew and they sprinkled the spicy cocaine powder that was on the Everlasting Flame cookie on the coffee. It made me miss coffee even more than the mornings when the kids have been up five times in the night. I only drank a half a sip because it packed a serious punch. I can’t believe that David was able to sleep for the rest of the week, it was that strong.

Then we went to Sephora because the day wasn’t awesome enough as is. David stopped briefly at the Lego store but had already purchased everything he wanted there. We also stopped at the World of Disney. I know there are other cool little shops with things that I like for example dresses, toys and art but I don’t like shopping enough to look in all of the stores to figure out which ones those are. So we went home, and gifted our babysitter with a Gideon’s cookie. She seemed as delighted with that as she was the tip. To be fair, they were really good cookies.
w2BvXSKYYkERHjERFHT3CC1MKW8GzhujtsqiWV7Z3LJgWURy4MWUEWy9Gwjp9o6GtDoykDcVFPsc9YIOtnQheOIB4yizfxfISww0Y7iHVati970R-qKy1yi1f8PKRItu0nf-6FhihIg

Caption: We also saw Goofy that evening but didn’t take a photo with him.

Thursday February 10th 2022 – Near Death Experiences and Trigger Words​

All of the days at the Buzz Lightyear house we did home reading in the morning. I was determined to get some learning in during the trip and reading at night didn’t go so hot. I was proud of Clark, he read four French books and two English books every single day. He read fewer English books because they were longer. The French books were B level and Clark got moved up to a D level in English right before we left.

Pv9H32gykdedcPLdZYPMbJ7iRDtlM-Q8Nsw9TGfkEdpc8KMRGgOFf19ZGV3YRXTYn08yHSUNtM59t1jlprumGdMh-cELEsBEGxBdRGUo2HPwpKSvXvpnvjfzDDUxWNhpSQIwodHg4zY

Caption: There were outdoor play structures everywhere. Clark used one to watch Lucy’s meet and greet. (I feel like between the cage and the shadows, this picture is sufficiently blurred.)

David and Clark left for Legoland at around eight thirty because the park opened at ten and it was an hour long drive. Originally, they had planned to take Claudia and that David would leave Clark with my Dad to take her home to nap but after discovering that it was an hour each way, we decided that Claudia could have a rest day with Mommy.
0Gbiq_z3BCC3greEfQkKlI95dH9JojDA6kT75_tBpxgP5t7y73leWMUHmI35Y5gzi5ubW98ddHzWcD4mqOU6iWWrUlfYysAALrlf6vuNFKxIVyRxfVWqJn1ZqOuFDGYKRvjm1VD5wGg

Caption: Clark’s favourite ride - Unikitty’s Disco Drop.

The entire day David and I kept in contact by emailing his Gmail account. I was locked out of mine and had no phone but I did have a device logged into David’s email account and David had his phone. He’d send me updates that they were having fun and going on this ride and that ride by emailing himself.

I used the day to pack. We’d already realized that we would need another carry on. I was trying to figure out whether we’d actually need to buy another full size suitcase. During their sojourn to Disney Springs, David and Clark had filled another huge cup from the Pick-a-Brick wall.

For whatever reason, Clark chose fifty carrot Lego pieces. Claudia stacked them all together and then proclaimed proudly, “Look at my carrot stick!” at which point the unwieldy contraption would fall to bits and she’d remake it. She played with the carrot Lego for an hour. It was low key and delightful, exactly the kind of day that both Claudia and I needed. While Clark was the perfect age and could go, go, go – Jen nicknamed him the Ever Ready Bunny – Claudia and I needed a lot more downtime.

I can’t emphasize enough how giant this house was. It echoed everywhere, also there were two doors to the kitchen and one was a swinging door like the one in Full House. Every time I walked through it I kept waiting to hear the laugh track and applause. David liked to say, “Hey, howdy, hey” whenever he walked into the kitchen.

Probably my favourite memory of the day with Claudia was when she asked to go in the pool. I didn’t feel like putting on my suit and thought the water would be freezing because we hadn’t paid for heat, so I said we could dip our feet in.

Wow, the water was warm! I still didn’t feel like putting on my suit so when Claudia asked to go in, I said yes but that we’d go skinny dipping. I sent an adorable picture of her naked little bum standing by the pool to send as evidence of our mischief to David. My underpants were also in the foreground to give David the full picture of the scene but he missed this detail. Afterwards I was like, "Who else's underpants with Justin Trudeau face on them would they have been?"

Apparently David thinks I make friends with lots of people on vacation who also think Trudeau is attractive but may not agree with his politics - I vote more left.

Looking at these pictures all I can think is how perfect Claudia is. I can’t see any resemblance to me or to David in my children; they just look like themselves. When Jen said that Claudia looked like me, I took it as a compliment because I think Claudia is the most beautiful little girl I’ve ever seen.

Claudia was nude while I went bottomless and while getting out realized that although we didn’t have backdoor neighbours, the next door people would have a really good story. It made me think of how scandalized my mother got whenever the gorgeous, Polish teenager next door sunbathed when I was little.

In the teen’s defense, if I looked like that, I would have been naked ALL THE TIME, so truly our neighbour was quite reserved.

I just freaking love your writing.
I just freaking love fans of my writing so we're a good pair.

But seriously, thank you for reading and commenting. Despite the views on this thread, writing on the internet is similar to shouting into an abyss.

Also, there will be more of my writing in a bit with actual non blurred pictures. I'm going to put up a throwback trip report for our 2016 Disney trip.

So part of the reason for the massive gap in posting was that I made an agreement with myself. Before planning another trip, i.e. putting down any money because let's be honest, who isn't planning a trip on their ride home from Disney, I had to do three things:

1. Write my entire trip report, put pictures with it and publish it for my family using Print On Demand Worldwide. This isn't a paid endorsement, I just wanted people to know what service I used. Because the books I print for myself and my family are text based rather than photograph based, I went with a book publisher because to me, the words are the important bit.

2. Make comprehensive scrapbooks of the trip.

3. Post the entire thing online as a thank you to all the lovely Disboards users over the years who have kept my love of Disney afloat with their trip reports.

3a. Post my 2016 trip report.

I spent the rest of February 2022 writing the trip report, March 2022 editing it, and got it printed in April at which point I started in on the scrapbooks. I finished the scrapbooks for my Dad's visit to Saskatoon. He pored over them every morning over coffee so I was happy that I'd finished. I use found materials, for example if Clark comes home with a permission slip that is a nice colour, you better bet I am keeping the upper half.

I also hoarded publicity materials, maps, anything from my earlier trips and from my college program in 2009.

And I am still working through the garbage bag of stickers that I bought from the Sandylion Sticker Outlet in 2009. (RIP Sandylion)

Last edited:
So here are the TWO scrapbooks because I craft the same way I write.61645E26-A3BC-40CE-9DCC-C973087DFDF6.jpeg

469FB34F-3E10-420E-B774-03189957AE21.jpeg
I got the album on the right for five bucks at a Value Village four years ago and saved it for four longing filled years. Everytime I'd walk past it in the basement, I'd think "Another time." But finally that album's time came.

The card at the center of the page on the left is our anniversary card, I thought it it fit well there-David has a lot of ove for turkey legs.

On the other page, is packaging from one of the kid's toys and a magazine about Toy Story that I read then snipped to bits. I give the kids which match the page then they get to decorate. Clark is careful and Claudia always puts the stickers on upside down which I think is intentional and a joke.

Last edited:
More scrapbook pages that you never wanted to see.
3AB58D0C-EB54-42C2-A5B0-41F5485B917C.jpeg
@StarWarsMomofGirls! mentioned sticker puzzles in a trip report ages ago. I swear I did not go out and purchase a giant box of them despite only having a two year old who couldn't identify numbers, because that would be weird.

So that's a sticker puzzle Clark did.

I also save Valentines. The Peter Pan paper came free with an album I bought secondhand. Although David bought the castle one (For forty dollars!) I generally only get my scrapbook stuff used. Because my Dad's big Christmas and birthday presents for the kids were the trip, I made little 'coupons' to put under the tree. So the paper at the bottom right is one of the coupons.

2C14B12B-4D36-49A1-9BFB-AB08B8B0BEEC.jpeg
I also save envelopes, the magazines my writer friend used to work for and any bits of glitter paper. There's lots more of the Toy Story magazine I canabalized on this page. Some of you might remember the scrap on the top left from Year of a Million Dreams. Yeah, I reached way back to create this album. My Dad sent me things to help which was nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter