The Janky Stroller Rides Again COMPLETE

1828E7FE-2636-4D8E-B09A-A310C2076F62.jpeg
More envelopes, former magazine pages, a coupon, a Valentine and a card from David.

9E3F0FBA-9922-4E6D-AFDA-E1FA34C2A4AD.jpeg
The gold is from a graduation thing of David's. I think I snatched every copy that was abandoned at our table, "This paper is gorgeous!"

Then the kids and I punched stars out of it which was tricky. Sometimes I'm ok with there being letters, this was not one of those times. I also cut up a number of park maps and Disney sent me some things so you better believe I took scissors andglue to those promotional materials.

Also, I subscribe to a sticker club. The stickers are mostly from Mrs. Grossman's

I LOVE the 1st Anniversary page! I immediately burst out laughing while at my desk! 🤣

I didn't know about sticker clubs, I'm going to have to google that!

D816886E-095F-403C-AA6B-14730ECFEE5C.jpeg
More cut up park maps. Also, David's aunt works at a second-hand store so that's where I get all my secondhand scrapbook paper. I think we're connected via an invisible tether because she always manages to bring me exactly what I need for frafting and the exact item the kids have just grown out of.

BC5BC55F-66EF-4074-8F31-9FAACC1DA2AF.jpeg
Claudia kept putting the fish all over the pictures on this page. I will cop to buying the Finding Nemo stickers but the rest is from Aunty Denise. Except for the bottom scalloped pattern. My favourite bougie candy comes in these beautiful boxes that I hack apart and use. I'd use the tissue paper that the candy comes with too but we keep getting invited to birthdsys now that parents can throw parties for their children cand everyone wants to make up for three years of no birthday parties. So. Many. Parties. Which means we're out of gift bags and I'm sourcing tissue paper from everything.

I LOVE the 1st Anniversary page! I immediately burst out laughing while at my desk! 🤣

I didn't know about sticker clubs, I'm going to have to google that!
Oh get ready because I'm going to shame myself. At one point we belonged to three, count'em three sticker clubs. We had Mrs. Grossman's, the Pipsticks kid's club and the Pipsticks adult sticker club. I did manage to trim it back down thankfully.

Glad you liked the anniversary page. I'm hoping to do more funny shoot during our next trip which is 519 days away.

33711878-1707-401C-A335-1B573BD9217B.jpeg
I cut up my Disney International College Program welcome package for the right page. And used the sparkly wrapping paper my favourite EA wrapped my Christmas gift in. I also cut up one of the envelopes the Mrs. Grossman's sticker club comes in. And there is glitter tape. David bought that, I would not have paid for that. As indicated above, all my disposable income goes to Disney trips or sticker clubs.

My kids are so well trained now, if they make something, they'll put it in my scrapbooking corner, "Here Mom, put it in my scrapbook."
EDBC6BE3-CFDC-459C-BC88-5C3A1E020E4C.jpeg
I made this page using wrapping paper from my birthday gift from my Gran, the yellow is the first page of my writer friend's magazine, and I got a catalogue from Tiber River. And another coupon. The animals look well placed so I think Clark did the stickers.

887A9310-B60F-49B8-A628-79C1464EC1A6.jpeg
Another sticker puzzle. Clark asked to put the stickers on the photos themselves, unlike Claudia who will cover up faces just because it's funny.

The papers are from this book that Aunt Denise got me. She knew we were going to Florida and found it at her secondhand shop. I used so much of it. The only downside of buying albums secondhand is that they often don't come with paper.

Also you know when envelopes come with gold on the inside? I love that. I punched the flowers out of an envelope like that.

1439D84C-2D53-4481-B5FB-24A089672F22.jpeg
This is the other side of the bougie candy boxes. I love how Clark put oven mitts on my hands like I was somehow responsible for the lunch. The borders are from a Sandylion, so sad that I can't pay forty bucks and get another garbage bag of stickers again.

D6F525EE-11B9-4550-AA49-79138C781F22.jpeg
I used a lot of envelopes for this page. Also, before Claudia was born, we made a visual timeline of events so Clark knew when she was coming. The squares are from that. The word I clipped out of my friend's magazine because it was perfect. I'm sad she doesn't work there anymore because they had the brightest, most colourful spreads. I also used more of the Toy Story magazine.

Not that anyone cares, but my process for creating a page starts with looking at the photos and seeing whether there are colours or elements I want to focus on. I make the pages sitting in the middle of mybedroom floor with all my materials spread around me. Then I'll pull similar themes or colours to match. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I really like when I get to feature the kids' work from school. But Clark was only halfway through kindergarten when we went.

C6DC4562-539E-4311-807D-4E2E6DC39547.jpeg
You can see I tried to pull the pastels out of the top middle photo. I used Jess' magazine again, a card from my colleagues, a permission form, I cut up some Disney themed scrapbook paper and used glue dots to add our room keys. Claudia helped with his page. You can tell because the teapot and hearts are upside down.

FADA5105-B3CC-437C-80C9-5FCA4D8B0841.jpeg
I really went with greens and blues for this page. I think this is promotional material from the aughts. And bits of maps my Dad gave me. Also David's graduation pages again with the gold.

Last edited:
Ok, last post of scrapbook pages and then we will return to your regularly scheduled trip report.

1E06932D-6013-4B64-99FC-3C59797F83B7.jpeg
More Valentines. Including ones that I bought myself ages ago just because they were Monster's Inc and I missed my dear friend Mike W. I used more wrapping paper from my Gran and envelopes. Oh and a birthday card from my in laws to Claudia.

5F090D01-7881-45C0-8EAC-78539EE557FD.jpeg
Did I mention how much I miss Mike? We have allllll the Mike Wazowski things. The green striped paper I got during my college program from the discounted Cast Member outlet store they used to have. And more Valentines. And some paper I got free with a second-hand album. Score.

0C6E654B-D6E6-4FC6-B37A-2FDBD909B9AD.jpeg
When my kids came home with the fireworks art on the left, you better believe I stashed it away for a special day. The picture doesn't capture how perfect it comes across because of the reflection. Or maybe I'm just a proud Mom.

FE27075C-5068-4BD2-80F3-9F83428E5619.jpeg
Last page I promise. For this trip report at least. If you want me to post my scrapbook for the throwback trip report I'm posting next, please 'Like' this post. I swear I will photograph and put up every single page of that sucker if I get five Likes.

My threshold for sharing is very, very low.
The light blue paper is from a Disney Store online purchase and Iwaslike, "Yoink, you will live on with glue and pictures."
I used the inside of more fancy envelopes to get the gold and the stickers I saved from my International College Program because Chip, Dale and I used to hang out on a occasion. Like they weren't good friends, fond acquaintances maybe?

More fancy silver wrapping paper from my coworker.

And now for a proper update.

In four days, when my kids go to the grandparents.

Oh no! I made the classic trip reporter error of saying when I would post the next update and then abandoning my trip report.

At least I didn't leave it for sixteen months.

Famous last words. . .

I will say that I am on our third last day so even if I Snoop Dogged this trip report and dropped it like it's hot, I still made it most of the way through.

Meanwhile at Legoland, David and Clark were having the best day ever with no vampire mommy or baby sister to slow them down.

Clark’s favourite ride was Unikitty’s Disco Drop. He went on it seven times. David liked it too. One night after coming home, I heard a strange electronic sound coming from David’s room.

“What are you watching?” I asked as I opened the door.

David blushed. “Unikitty’s Disco Drop ride video,” he confessed.

Upon watching it, the ride did seem like a really fun time.

20220210_121721.jpg
Caption: Clark enjoyed all the Lego structures. Being a child of the eighties, I made my kids wear fanny packs the whole trip. Clark faithfully listened and wore his every day. Claudia chucked hers when we tried to put it on her so her fanny pack went into David's backpack.

Also, just looking at the photos of Legoland, I knew that I couldn't go there but it was so sunny that even David, the only person in our family with an ounce of melanin, got a sunburn.

Clark even got a stroller that day. According to David, he was the only big kid in a stroller at Legoland whereas we’ve seen everything from a seven year old to a tiny Philippino man hanging out in a stroller at Disney World. It wasn’t until I saw this picture that I realized how comically large Clark was for the umbrella stroller. He sort of still fits in the Bob stroller.

Clark has an obsession with the double decker couch from the Lego movie – the idea is every bit as absurd and impractical as it sounds – and there was a Soarin’ knock off ride which was Lego themed called Masters of Flight. It was on a triple decker flying couch. Essentially Clark’s dream. He enjoyed that and rode it a couple of times.

In addition to the Lego building stations which were scattered around the park, there were also elaborate themed playgrounds for the kids to climb in. Lucy, a character from the Lego movie, was out meeting in front of one. Clark had met her but wanted to continue watching so he climbed up the space themed Benny structure and sat behind Lucy, watching her set.

“Hey Lucy!” her attendant called, “You’re being watched!”

Lucy then turned around and waved at Clark.

20220210_101830.jpg
Caption: I know Emmet has a double decker couch. Is this a double decker bike? David took photos of everything; he was living his best life. So was Clark because while David is all about Lego, Clark is all about not walking when he can ride.

20220210_113435.jpg

Caption: No shade, just tiny shadows.

20220210_155938.jpg
Caption: Claudia would have loved this car. However Claudia would not have loved skipping her nap or being coated in sunscreen.

Clark also met Emmett, the star of the Lego movie franchise.

After a quiet morning at home, my Dad joined David and Clark at Legoland.

While there are endless must eat snacks at Disney World, there is only one item which everyone recommends at Legoland – Granny’s Apple Fries. They’re deep fried apples. Dad treated the boys to Granny’s Apple Fries on ice cream. David said the texture is just like fries but it tasted like apples.

There was a ride which both David and my Dad individually told me was frightening and that they felt like they were going to fly off the tracks. Dad described it as like the mouse coasters from the Ex. David said it was a series of hairpin turns where you were scrabbling to stay on. Clark of course being six and having no sense of mortality adored the ride and had no problem almost high-fiving death each time they went around a corner. David showed me a ride video – I would never ride something like that, they had to slow the car down at one point in the ride so it didn’t fly off into the tops of the trees.
20220210_134036.jpg
Caption: David's favourite ride. Once the ride starts, you rise up until you can see the Lego DJ spinning tunes.

Along with well themed play structures there was a Lego splashpad but the best part for David was after you played in the splashpad – for free! – you could pay five dollars to dry off. That’s one way to recoup the construction costs.20220210_133701.jpg

Caption: The free themed splashpad.
20220210_133659.jpg
Caption: What I find even funnier about this set up is that my kids are afraid of hand dryers - which is a fairly common fear - so you'd pay five bucks only to have your kid run screaming out of there.

Another unexpected part of Legoland were the carnival games. Clark played ringtoss but didn’t win anything. Afterwards, Clark played a fishing game and won a husky stuffy.

Clark really enjoyed the Dragon Coaster and rode it multiple times. While Legoland had a cheaper carnival feel to it, my Dad and Clark loved the way they could walk onto the rides with no wait. This meant that if Clark liked a ride, they could loop it until Clark or more likely David and my Dad lost interest.

Coastersaurus was a wooden coaster and felt rickety. I remember the experience of riding wooden coasters and the way they would shake but haven’t ridden one since my teens. I wouldn’t have let Clark go on a wooden coaster and definitely wouldn’t have gone on it myself, so I was impressed David was willing to endure that.

At one of the indoor building centers there was an attachment to put your creation on wheels so it could roll down a pipe. These little building centers were the only respite from the sun – the rest of the park was entirely outside. Clark had been thoroughly sunscreen up before they left but David got a wicked burn and had a weird skin reaction with the blue ink of his shoulder tattoo. He complained about it being itchy for a full week afterward.

The last stop of the day was the gift shop where David was wildly irresponsible. The entire trip all Clark had to do was say, “Grandpa Jim, I wa,” my son couldn’t even get to the last two letters of ‘want’ out of his mouth before my Dad would be brandishing his Visa buying two of the item; one for Clark and one for Claudia. I’d long past given up the idea of Dad only buying three things for the kids. Instead it was a generous stream of bubble wands and balloons and hats and anything else Clark’s little heart desired. Dad’s love language is gifts and nothing makes Dad more loving than Disney.

20220210_123643.jpg
I was in charge of packing both the kids and my belongings. I’d asked David to pick up Clark his own Lego carryon suitcase, figuring Dad might offer to buy the suitcase as a big, practical souvenir of their boys’ day and that would be it.

Dad bought the suitcase of course but then David did something terrible. He used Dad’s trigger word. “Jim, a lot of this merchandise is exclusive to Legoland.” My Dad loves exclusive items, deals and experiences. I could have strangled David when I found out he said that. Cue Dad attempting to buy the entire store.
20220210_155610.jpg

Caption: To David's credit, he did give me the option of which carryon I wanted. My Dad would have been like, "Let's buy them all!"

In addition to filling the carryon, Dad bought so much that he had to ship a box, so large that it could fit both kids inside at once, home to our house. There was the Legoland exclusive set and the little Frozen Lego set and the gigantic seventeen hundred piece Frozen Lego set, a Lego mug with David’s name on it. The only thing David managed to talk Dad out of was buying me a Lego mug with my name on it.
20220210_171248.jpg
Caption: David found everything at Legoland charming, so he even took pictures of the signs for closed attractions.

Although I will say that the kids got their money’s worth playing with the box. It was a train car, a cat house, a fort. They drew self-portraits on it and stuck stickers on the box.

Dad bought so much at the Lego gift shop he arrived back at the house AFTER we did. So David managed to drive home, install a car seat, put two over excited children in the car, drive to Dad’s rental house and show four pieces of ID and pass the urine test at the security checkpoint before Dad even arrived.

The whole day at home with Claudia, when receiving updates, I was like ‘Meh, not missing much’. Before we left, I’d seen photos of the park and realized that going to Legoland would end in my death. There was no shade to be seen anywhere. It seemed about as attractive to me as the beach.

I knew from my research that Legoland took over what used to be Cypress Gardens and had rehabilitated the gardens to their former glory. I shared this with my Dad who used to run a nursery and garden store when I was little. He was excited about it.
a4debaSGQTUsp4b-3geetiGADVKh8rMwfrXYRtPhKaAZerLaiq26Gfk00V4pI3pWmT8bQqplBcyzCe44kfRVLaLyOZmNkoWbmzz4Qu0amfZk8cfpDT5axnSsp3awVqn9ZjGQVdrkzx4

Caption: One of the original Belles. This woman looks fancy while being ready to run off of a Southern plantation with Scarlet O’Hara at any moment. Basically the look I’ve aspired to my whole life.

I actually remember visiting Cypress Gardens as a child, it was a rainy, overcast day and cold to boot. My sister and I wandered around after my Dad, slightly bored – maybe more than slightly – but every so often we’d come upon these beautiful ladies dressed in gigantic gowns. Because it was raining, all of the ladies had a matching parasol. The park wasn’t busy so the girls were as delighted to see us as we were to see them.

Here is a list of things I love best in this world

1. My family
  2. Disney
  3. Beautiful ladies in pretty clothes extra points if it’s a big gown
For serious, I should have been a lesbian because pretty ladies are my favourite thing ever. I’m a lot like Hugh Hefner. Only I like my ladies clothed. Preferably in fancy, high end fashion.

David and Clark arrived home at six thirty. Clark was bouncing off the walls and we were hustling the kids into the car to get to my Dad’s house but I still managed to get a rundown of the day out of David.

David listed off a bunch of rides they enjoyed and mentioned some characters, “Oh and your Dad really loved Cypress Gardens.” No surprise there.

Offhandedly not expecting a yes, I asked, “Were the Belles there? You know the pretty ladies in pretty dresses?”

“They were there.” David said nonchalantly.

I just about lost my mind. Legoland I didn’t mind missing but beautiful girls in beautiful dresses is my favourite thing ever.

My most beloved job of all time was when I worked at a prom dress shop. I was the worst salesperson. The girls would come in with their moms and I’d gush over how beautiful they looked. Every time the girls stepped out of the dressing room, I’d crow, “You look lovely in that too!”

“The Belles were? What?” In my mind I was questioning how this gimmick of gowned girls in gardens could possibly have survived for thirty years while simultaneously being jealous that David had seen said pretty ladies.

“Yeah I took a picture.” David was amused as he handed me his phone so I knew something was up.

“Did you at least tell all of them that they were gorgeous?” I said fumbling his phone in my excitement.

David shrugged as I pulled up the picture. The belles were there. But in Lego. Not the same. At least I hadn’t missed out on telling a young woman she looked stunning and that I loved her dress.
5LMZQvLxa4dBjGzA4O9LQDRSzlHuIdR5MrjUqNeq8dolt4XDC8YpIXXyi81byNcXcVnJgvYJHJqp1x_gdf9NcQE2xvI1opTxo79EgrudzqhAkZ-nOBSVryLLJpohuo8DTFJ8jS4Bd7g

Caption: Not the same at all.

At Dad’s Jen had cooked lasagna. Claudia ate three nibbles of the lasagna and devoured half a loaf of buttered bread. Clark of course tried everything. He’s an adventurous little eater.

Afterwards, Jen and Dad brought out the pink cake they’d bought for Claudia and we sang her ‘Happy Birthday’. This was the first year that she blew out her own candles, last year she got unicorn birthday cookies in lieu of a cake. And when she was one, Clark blew out her candles so she wouldn't get hurt.

We also shared the cookies that we had picked up from Gideon’s the night before. Each cookie weighed a half a pound so we cut them into six pieces.

Clark showed off his reading skills to Grandpa Jim after dinner, reading in French and in English. Even I wasn’t expecting Clark to glom onto French the way he has – his vocabulary is so large that even when he can’t sound out the word, he’ll look at the picture and figure out the word based on that.

The evening ended when Clark licked Bear’s cat bed and then gagged when he got cat hair in his mouth, throwing up almost on the bed. Childhood is magical.

Caption: Anniversary castle!

M3Ejq-OFEeK50jEU_WxvAduow4jXtBBBhBrCsPILfL8QhMOWsQWSeFQQF_7DRGoDdUlo08Kq1Doz3L9d0RkE2qwOqSgdrPjHlTR1G0kZGFOT77cjxVGT2HvkgGWbsHR8XjDk9Eefr-A

Friday February 11th 2022 – Perfection​

20220208_104510.jpg
Caption: Clark is wearing the only actual Disney Mike sweater I bought. I got it secondhand off of Ebay. When waiting for our next trip becomes so painful that reading Disboarder's trip reports doesn't cut the anticipation, I order clothes.
I swear I did not buy a matching set of Toy Story Alien shirts for my family. With multiple sizes so that kids can age into them.

Our last day in the parks. On shorter trips, this is an unbearably sad day. But the great thing about being in Florida for two weeks was when I woke up and thought about it being our last morning, I was happy to be in Florida and ready to enjoy the parks but I was also excited to go home. That is the perfect feeling to have.

I’d been feeling guilty about using the Disability pass so much and thought that maybe I could try just using Genie+, so I was up at six fifty, buying the pass and booking our first ride.

The night before David had cooked up all the remaining chicken, it was a startling amount. It got packed into the park bag along with all the veggies that were left in the fridge.

We did home reading and got the kids sunscreened up. Seeing David get a sunburn sent me into a tizzy. If I got a sunburn, it would mean I got hours of sun and would be out of commission for a week. Not to mention the pain and scarring. So the kids got extra sunscreen because their Dad hadn’t put on enough the day before. Life isn’t fair, better for children to learn it early.
N4hwHs5hx9CeD6f5dK0aSbwM-5CJdJ317l6vtC6pzRMnkAleK4F8M-1rO7lxlwuVXD_FBJmKx4aIT6t0UgsBZHxQh3hOrlDcGDMGAF8bJB9cx6YiYouNQq_mVD8bAlMh6Wk2bvC-OHc

Caption: Claudia lost her mind shortly after this because we neglected to park the stroller in front of the Step Sister wearing a pink dress.

The kids watched Grizzy and the Lemmings while eating cereal and the last of the Gideon’s cake. There was no line at parking and we sailed through. We’d brought Clark’s bubble wand and two days before, Grandpa Jim had bought the kids a balloon so that bobbed along with the stroller, making the janky stroller extra easy to spot.

Each family member got to pick one ride they wanted for the day. Clark picked Big Thunder Mountain so that was our first fastpass for the day at 12:30. Claudia chose Peter Pan. David wanted Splash Mountain which was supposed to open that day after being down for refurbishment.

David booked a Disability pass for Peter Pan as soon as we got into the park. We wandered to Splash to confirm that it wasn’t working. (It wasn’t.) Then strolled through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, I remember being enchanted with the idea of living in a treehouse. The kids were like, “Meh. When can we go on a ride?” Well in that case, I won’t show either of you two ingrates the masterpiece which is the Carousel of Progress either.

Swiss family Robinson treehouse.jpg
Caption: Had I known how cute the matching shirt thing would be, I would have violated my environmental beliefs completely and bought a set for every day.

Then it was time to ride Peter Pan. As we walked off the kids started cheering, “Again! Again!” I gave them the option of Big Thunder Mountain. Nope, they both wanted to loop Peter Pan. All right. David booked another Disability pass and we went on Philharmagic to wait until our available opening. This time Claudia kept her glasses on and merely gripped the lenses with her little hands during scary parts. She was getting braver. Being on Mommy’s lap helps too.

We waited a short twenty minutes in the line for Little Mermaid. That ride is a people eater and there are games in the lineup, as well as lots to look at. We tried to feed the kids in the lineup but David had already snarfed all the chicken.

Claudia rode with Daddy and me. Clark was super independent this trip, managing moving walkways and the like. Claudia needed a little more watching and help so she ended up riding with Mommy and Daddy a lot. It’s difficult to lift thirty pounds of wiggling little girl if you’re not used to it. Jen commented multiple times that she couldn’t believe how strong my arms were. I definitely built muscle over the course of this trip because when we were staying at the Beach Club, my arms were so sore at the end of the day whereas in the Buzz Lightyear house, I didn’t feel them.

After that, we went on Peter Pan. It made my heart so glad that the kids loved this ride as much as my sister and I did when we were little. Diana loves it even still. I remember the last family trip we took as adults, we waited in that long, long line together.

Then we had to go see Mickey’s Philharmagic again, of course. This was a sleeper hit for the kids. I hadn’t done it in years prior to this trip but the kids couldn’t get enough. They were bopping along to the music and reaching for the gems. With each viewing, Claudia would cover her eyes less and less.

Then we went to Big Thunder Mountain. All week at the parks Claudia begged for a nap. On Wednesday, when we didn’t seem to understand how dire the situation was, she declared she needed ‘a big squishy nap’.

OOx3adtllrLmRa8PwtVU9WEwXBDFH-Sp4Ij2_UxYQybwLWys-0iCLuedqKD07b1eylSlvLoh7T0gAI1wor_Tr4NgAeBL0PPCWCZKQ7ol6YUtKK055AGwn4mcLb2ZKG6sbsiGbuhyclo
Caption: These guys were another surprise hit with the kids. Claudia talked about them after we got home. It was one of the few things from the trip that she’d mention.

Claudia fell asleep in the stroller en route to Frontierland. I’d given Claudia her pacifier after Peter Pan, it was funny because she knew that Daddy wouldn’t be happy about her having a sucky, so she kept her mask on to hide it. When David would reach down to remove her mask, he’d say, “Hey! Where’d you get that?” And Claudia would press her little hands to her face, guarding her sucky.

Big Thunder Mountain went down as soon as we walked up to it, which was what had happened on Wednesday but Clark still desperately wanted to ride it so we weren’t sure what to do.

We’d booked a Genie+ pass for Aladdin’s Carpets right after and both kids wanted to go. It was unbearably sunny and I was feeling a little unwell but even still we walked back across the park. David split off from the group to get another Dole Whip. He thoroughly enjoyed those and the kids enjoyed Daddy’s obsession with them.

At this point in the trip, I had been exposed to a lot of sun for over ten days straight. At it's core, erythropoietic protoporphyria is a blood disorder where when I'm exposed to sun, protoporphyrins become free radicals in my blood. Meaning that a a day at the beach leaves me feeling like I've drunk ten tequilas without the fun part. Although we hadn't spent any days at the beach, the cumulative effect of that much sun was catching up with me.

There's also the fact that it isn't just my skin that reacts to sunlight, it's all visible tissues. Meaning that my eyes were severely burned by this point in the trip, despite the fact that I'd worn my porphyria goggles.
20210812_144241.jpg

Caption: This is the view out my front window and what you would see if you had glasses or sunglasses on.
20210812_145119.jpg
Caption: This is the same view but with the porphyria curtains pulled to block out the exact wavelength of light that burns my skin. These let me sit next to the window and look outside without burning my skin or eyes. The goggles are similar. They aren't colour true and I can't drive in them, but they mean my eyes won't get burned like with regular sunglasses.

We'd been walking next to the water which was reflecting the light and I had been walking out of the shadows. My eyes felt like someone had rubbed glass in them so I bolted for the most shaded area I could find.

I don't talk about my disability with my family because it sounds weird and made up but my Stepmom realized something was wrong. Mobile ordering was proving to be a disaster so David wasn't back. Had he seen me curled up on the floor, protecting my face from the sun, he would have realized that we needed to go.

Wearing a giant hat, goggles and a long face mask is similar to a character head. When I worked at Disney, my friend Rose liked to say that her favourite place to cry was in a character head because no one could see you.

As I sat there with my eyes stinging and my body feeling so sluggish and unwell, I weighed my options:
1. I could wait until David got back and tell him how sick I was. We'd figure out a way to get me out of the park and this would be a really awful end to our trip.
2. I could suck it up but ditch my Dad who didn't understand that I couldn't walk in the open sun, or wait in the open sun, or stand next to water.

We were right next to the Country Bear Jamboree so I picked the second option. Because even though I'm a Mom with a weird disability, I'm still a Mom so I wanted my kids to have a good last day. I knew the darkness in the theatre might give me enough of a reprieve to keep going.
Misery at the Magic Kingdom.jpeg
Caption: I still can't believe my Dad took this picture.

We waited there and once David returned, Jen, Dad and Clark went on the carpets. Clark laughed at the camels that ‘spat’ on the riders.

Big Thunder Mountain was finally back up but there was no way I could go on a sunny ride, so Claudia and I opted to go see the Country Bears again. She enjoyed the show even more a second time because she knew what to expect. “They wake up!” Claudia said, pointing to the mounted heads on the wall. She hummed a little during the performance to songs she liked.

After being inside in a dark theatre, my skin was feeling much better and we went to Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin as our last ride of the day. Dad hit some crazy target and got a hundred thousand points early on in the game.

“What did you do?” I asked, seeing his score.

“I have no idea!” he replied.

Y32HMCdVMh7brYhckzGT_UXtQ3MAwhT-FRE5V8b2TxE11RSXN42dVLWnPBRZbNiHX1F7s3pJlA6E9UG2fM5mHXR33Kme6C0xoCJ5YAnK2ad6HSe4raATUE6xifkD1vIZW9_1XV8YP5k

Caption: Claudia took it so seriously. After two times on the ride, we let her have her own gun. And boy was she determined to prove that she was the best Space Ranger.

Both Claudia and I needed to go home after that and Clark had a reservation at T-Rex to get to with Grandpa Jim and Jen, so we made our way to the exit. Claudia had a micro nap in the stroller so she wasn’t going to nap again but definitely needed some quiet play.

We had enough time to put the pizza in the oven before Barbara arrived. I wandered around doing some light packing but was glad that I’d done the lion’s share the day before. Paula was great but we really liked Barbara, she had the unflappable calm of Nicole, who was my regular babysitter growing up but Barbara combined with an uncommon kindness. I asked Barbara really nicely if she would wipe down all of the surfaces once the kids went to bed and she left the house spotless. I was appreciative because we were leaving at four thirty in the morning.

I was not feeling well after all that sun. It was David and my last date night. I'd booked it so we might have a chance at riding Splash Mountain a final time but after all that light, I was limp during the car ride back to Magic Kingdom and couldn’t sit up straight on the tram. Walking into the park, I was made of molasses and David had to wait for me. “This is my top speed,” I said.

We rode Jungle Cruise. The skipper wasn’t memorable, unfortunately half of comedy is

Timing. And this guy didn’t have it.

It was only when we joined the line for Pirates of the Caribbean that I started to perk up. When I’m exposed to that much sun, it’s like my blood turns to sludge and slows. I feel like it takes a while for my body to recover.

2izaor9TlmM0M_DOHcC17RS79lMz8sRj_sFpGOCHwTdcyqXhLi_-Vnm5dWX71fraYdUVnQ9QFaFSArX_6FtDFYsS6zVW-FN-yCFPMW9LplWHjSgm3APolp4l3AhHd5HHbCi_zXGt4Ac

Caption: I remember loving the darkness in this queue when I was little.

Just as the fireworks were beginning, I saw a crowd of people sprinting towards Big Thunder Mountain. That’s weird, I thought before it clicked. Splash is open.

David and I joined the throng of people rushing Splash’s queue. There was no time to book a Disability pass because it could close at any second. The only thing I had on the crowd was that I was fast and small. Despite the rush of people, Splash was a walk on. As we were waiting to board a flume, David booked a Disability pass. “I want to ride this twice,” he said. Sometimes during the trip, I felt like I shouldn't have a disability pass, but after feeling so unwell the whole day to the point that I wondered whether I'd be able to open my eyes in order to walk out of the park, I let that guilt go.

The first time through, David filmed the ride. It was the perfect end to our trip. As we ascended the mountain, fireworks went off in the distance. Everyone on our log was as caught up in the perfection of the moment as we were. Splash is a special ride during the day but there’s a joy that comes with riding it at night, the twisting turns around the houses where Brer’ Roadrunner lives seem more quaint. Then there’s the celebration of going into the bright paddlewheel scene after plunging into the briar patch in the dark. I loved it.

Even the lady sitting in front of me made it better. She had a giant, black afro – I love hair that grows up and out instead of giving into gravity– and was wearing Minnie ears, making her hair even taller. This meant that after the drop, I was dry as a bone. The lady’s hair caught all of the water.
A5i9v00Ej0_s4qa3ZdTkTjiBbNKWGOuviccA0SwL8bxjrK3rPyiZ-bGhkOxeHak_bBzibJq3mXq1FVa6g2FyC1Ew8FuaQFnNUDkk4gd3MVuAnJZSnM_XO6lniKDIlcFWYgEGUuuapyY

We jogged around back into the line up and tapped in. Beside us the overflow queue was filling with people, what had been a five minute wait was probably an hour. This go round was equally special because David and I realized that this was likely our last ride on Splash as it was. Riding Splash was the cherry on our trip. I wasn’t as lucky during the second drop though, the cowardly man in front of me ducked at the end and I was hit with a spray of water.

Getting out of the Magic Kingdom was bedlam. We joined the ferry line and trudged our way forward sending frantic apology texts to Barbara. But the jaunt across the water was quick and we booked it for our car.
4nrfgsPUUH91CDGmQPhD32tekpwB_0YWmpjk6zNR0uIzwhbOMbgVdtdYuZUE3d6WXNJvdZPwV-T4uqGwiyd_hX_ZFEFwanyxdZgPTouNm8yKLrSmEO6RJyjyhhdV6cxiabGIhI5C_50

The next day, we showed the kids the video David made of Splash Mountain.

It’s since become an obsession of Clark’s with him talking about Splash, reenacting the ride, and having one parent send messages to the other about Splash Mountain. David texted me the following message weeks after we got home.

“Daddy, you need to send a message to mommy, here’s what you need to say, “Dear Mommy, Clarky Clark is old enough to go on Splash Mountain so we need to go.” Yep tell her that.”

David recently got out Lego boats that he had purchased for the kids. He bathes the kids, so the boats come out around bath time and the kids can play with them in a tub of water in the kitchen afterwards. While playing with the boats, Clark set up a flume, placed the mini fig of himself and David in the boat and narrated the ride to the mini figures concluding with, and now there’s going to be a splash at the end, dropping the boat into the water.

Caption: Our view of the fireworks from Splash Mountain.
qgUZJMOe2OtzgITyOQe1xL2XkH2rfvzOdFb-xrbteBt59XCIlZkwEq2ox3cUkD55M43C9qAus9a4M1IDftUj4qwjYLxJW8TY0c_yH5NFyA3TFnmWr7W057kcQxYEJyhsh5LpC_8z6Lc

Splash Mountain has become such a big thing in our house that the other night I was rocking Claudia in the glider and she gave me a piercing look and said, “I’m old enough to go on Splash Mountain.” I laughed really really hard and told her she needed to get bigger, that they don’t let babies on Splash Mountain. Then, wanting me to laugh again, Claudia repeated it.

I relived the trips that we took as children through imaginative play with Diana so it’s really neat to see all the ways that Clark is reliving the trip through his play. Whether it’s when we receive a toy and he’s reminded of something, or with Lego or when he acts out a ride at the dinner table.

Saturday February 12th 2022 – A Nineteen Hour Day​

Four o’clock came way too early. Woof. I shot out of bed and got dressed, did a last quick check for belongings then got the kids up. David had packed the car the night before, so we just had to get on the road. The kids were cooperative; we had warned them that they’d be woken up in the middle of the night. I put them both on the potty, Claudia refused and cried because she was two, then we whisked them into the car.

David parked at the arrival gate and then we started unloading, and unloading and unloading and unloading. We had three carry-ons, one checked bag, two car seats, one GoGo Baby, two backpacks, one janky stroller and one personal item. Oof.

I’m very much looking forward to not traveling with car seats. And also when kids can wheel their own bags and wear their own backpacks. Although Clark for his part wheeled a bag and wore a backpack without complaint.

David returned the rental car while I got Clark dressed in the bathroom. Claudia was like, ‘No! No. Absolutely not. I only get dressed in an airport bathroom before the crack of dawn once per trip – you already used your shot lady.’

Then there was the hokey pokey of checking luggage, they put the Baby GoGo on, you take the Baby GoGo out. Finally we were sitting at the gate. The kids had pizza for breakfast because it was one of the leftovers in the fridge. David waited in an endless line up at Starbucks and returned just in time for me to chug my coffee and board.

The first flight went well but by the second one, Claudia was DONE. We’d gotten her up in the middle of the night, she’d been well behaved all trip, but now she needed to be home, in her bed having a big squishy nap. This whole sitting in a car seat on a stinky airplane business was not going to cut it.

We landed in Winnipeg, got our checked bag and then waited for the car seat and stroller. And waited. And waited. Then I convinced Claudia to change out of her summer jammies and waited some more. At which point the airline confirmed that the car seat and the janky stroller were still in Florida.

I suspected that our carseats weren't going to make it because when we were sitting on the tarmac in Orlando, the pilot apologized for the wait, saying they were just getting the bags onto the plane. Our car seat and stroller won’t be on here, I thought.

Luckily I’d anticipated such a situation so there were two car seats in the car, one for each kid. And as for the janky stroller? They could have it, enjoy the herky jerky nature of the red-capped, blue wheels Air Canada.

So we trekked out to the discount lot to discover that the van wouldn’t start. Luckily we packed a farm boy, so David went inside, explained the problem which I imagine is common and got a machine to jumpstart the van. After the brief hiccup, we were off.

We stopped in Dauphin for McDonalds. No one got food poisoning, although Claudia still believes McDonald’s is poison so she ate nothing. Then at ten o’clock, we pulled into our driveway at home.

Spot was very very very glad to see us. Unlike most cats who meet you nonchalantly at the door all, “Oh you were away? I didn’t notice. JERK!” Spot was a bundle of nerves and love. “I missed you, I missed you, I missed you.” His purring sounded like a jet engine. Whenever we’d go to another room, Spot would let out an anguished meow, like, “You didn’t leave me again did you? I can’t be ALOOOOOOOOONE.”

He stopped doing that after a week but it made me feel extremely guilty. Not guilty enough to take him and his litter box on the road with us like Dad with Bear cat but guilty enough that I was like, “Well we need to stay home forever.”

We were paper dolls falling into bed that night. That’s how flattened we were.
m__BPBuotddWi2Ts2AOjePZMzn_ixHytcLryAHEhDBsSlVJMmOszVVYt5t6xTKQgMeR1TWyoUGE6QgStEReitOKz01duVwZSm5u0gK2YflJAmZvn_HgmqX0Xi6Vmgpskt7HXRIVVIcs

Caption: The inside of the T-Rex restaurant. My favourite and best review of that establishment is by the late blogger, Josh from Easywdw. “Eating at T-Rex is like riding DINOSAUR. During a Marilyn Manson concert. In hell.” Dad was a great sport to go along with that reservation.

Fire!

So in addition to arriving home to a super happy cat, we also came back to the most spotless house you've ever seen.

Now before you come to the sensible conclusion that I hired someone to clean my house before we arrived home, let's flashback to three days before we were supposed to leave.

We have an egg subscription service, because everyone I know has chickens. It's a consequence of living in a rural place. But it also means that my fridge is perpetually overrun with eggs. Hence why I cooked a quiche and tried to make four eggs fit in one pie tin. It overflowed, but the bottom of my oven, like my sinks is always filthy, so I wasn't perturbed and most importantly, didn't even try to wipe it up.

So three nights before our trip, I was cooking haddock in the oven and washing the dishes while the kids watched TV. Out of the corner of my eye, I see fire flash in the oven and I thought, Meh, it'll put itself out. And went back to washing dishes.

One minute later, I look back to see a bigger fire in the oven and realized I'd need the fire extinguisher. Because it was a grease fire from the cheesy quiche. In the time it took for me to dash down to the basement and come back, the fire in the oven had grown. I looked at that and thought, I'm going to have exactly one shot to put this out.

I yelled for the kids to get out because there was a fire then did a test spray to make sure that the extinguisher worked because as soon as I opened the oven, oxygen was going to rush in and fan the flames.

Fun Fact: That giant plume that they show is movies when people put out fires is not smoke but is actually a cloud of particulate that burns when you inhale it.

I put out the fire but the kitchen was filled with this noxious yellow dust. I grabbed the home phone, dialed David who was at work and coughed out, "Fire. Not an emergency. I need help." Before staggering out into the hallway to find Clark completely dressed in his snowsuit trying to cajole Claudia out the door. He'd managed to get her dressed and knew he had to leave but wasn't going to leave her.

I bundled myself up and walked out the door to see our neighbour, who works with David and is the daughter of the fire chief, bounding across our lawns, through knee high snow in jeans and a tank top, holding a fire extinguisher.

"We're ok." I said, "We just need somewhere that isn't filled with flame retardant chemicals.

David rushed home from work fifteen minutes later and took the kids to his parents while Rachel and I wiped down every solitary thing on the main level of my house. The chemical cloud had drifted everywhere, into every cupboard and drawer and shelf. It was a really miserable way to spend the days leading up to the trip, but it meant that the house was still sparkling when we got home.

Reflections? Epilogue? Another Gratuitous Chapter? Yes, the last one.​

All of us walked around in an exhausted haze for weeks afterward. David was smushed flat for a month because he returned home to the first Covid outbreak in our town. (Yes, we got absurdly lucky in that February 2021 was our first major outbreak.) In addition to not having days off after the trip, he worked weekends too.

Clark's teacher approached me two days after we got back, “Clark est ici, mais il n’est pas ici.” Clark is here, but he is not here. She pantomimed playing with something while staring off into space.

Claudia had four hour long naps every day as she tried to catch up on all the sleep she’d missed. It took me a month to put away everything that was in the car.

But man was it worth it. Despite the fatigue, all of us had a glow, like the memory of the trip was burning in our hearts, adding light to each day. While I enjoyed reliving the trip through writing out my journal, Clark frequently reenacted rides with his imaginative play. David and I often talked about highlights whenever I’d share an update from my journal. Claudia didn’t play the same way that Clark did but she seemed excited whenever we’d talk about the trip.

The whole time on the trip, it felt so special, so fantastic, that there must be a catch to have that marvelous a vacation, like we’d have to sell one of the kids when we got back.

The kids can’t wait to go back which makes me so happy. I always wanted a Disneyphile family.

A friend of mine who I used to camp with as teenagers, dismissed the idea of road tripping together to Disney one summer. “That’s where my parents took me every year,” she said as though she couldn’t believe her parents’ lack of imagination. That seemed like such a tragedy to have a kid who didn’t share in the magic with you. I’m so happy when Clark and Claudia get excited over the memories. That said, wow was that trip a lot of work, so I think we’re good for 2023. Maybe 2024?

Oh no! You’re probably all dying to know about the janky stroller!
j7l1_dpY7AR7MJey9kalDzXCON4HK7DFFUprejZC_6Kb7vwz-ahF4Zk1AcVsa6TDcF47Oz54P8Kt2oDGV0M9lT0quqk1WK8Fvm7NxwE2POkClOWRhux_2mFnFBUpe1yuvQyYlEEsIPA

Caption: You’d think after paying a whole eight dollars and fifty cents for this contraption, we’d bring it in during a blizzard.

Gardewine delivered the janky stroller home safe and sound. I imagine the canopy will evaporate from under Claudia’s tush this summer and we’ll finally be done with it.

Thank you to everyone who read this trip report and a super special thank you to all those who write trip reports. Reading about your adventures brings me such joy and tides me over until our family's next Disney adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter