The Rest of Hollywood Studios

If in fact they plan to close indy stunt show, and create a new indy land there. They could reskin star tours relitavely easy and have a fairly "inexpensive" new land...it also gives them the benefit of a staged opening of said land. Since the reskin can be done in about 18months to 2 years leaving them to concentrate on the new attraction.
Yeah I mean it’d be interesting to see how they’d make the Indy theme work with the Star tours simulators. I’m definitely not opposed to the idea though.

I really would like to see the stunt show razed for something else. Whether it’s indy or not I don’t reallt care, but the shows run it’s course and takes up a decent chunk of good real estate

Wow. Do you think its crowded because there is literally so little to do there that people choose it to do something - or is it really popular?

I haven't been to that show in over 10 years......

Right now - Studios is a half day park at best. I sure hope the other areas of the park get the love & attention they deserve.

I enjoyed the show when I saw it in January. It was my first time, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I spent a day there.

In the next couple of years, crowd control is going to be of upmost importance. Taking out an attraction that can handle 2500+ an hour (and get it) without anything to replace it with would be a very bad idea. I understand why people who go there all the time would want to see something new, but I don't think that's in the cards right now. Those people have to go somewhere.

In 5-10 years after the crowds die down a bit, razing it would probably be beneficial. It could help them solve the landlocked problem by giving them access to take part of the parking lot for more stuff (assuming that they want to add more stuff).

Problem with Star tours is it doesn’t fit with theme of the land which is set firmly on the sequel trilogy era.

Star tours is fun but it’s rife with continuity issues with the timeline. Add in the fact it’s just a simulator attraction and it makes way more sense to retheme it then try and force it into the land

Actually, the new bits in Star Tours do fit in with the sequel era. When I rode at Disneyland a few months ago, the sequence every time went:

Opening in hangar with Kylo Ren (in place of darth Vader)
Jakku scene (Force Awakens)
Message from Maz Kanata, BB8, or Poe
Crait Scene (Last Jedi)
Ending on Batuu's Blackspire Outpost (Star Wars Land)

So, it seems likes you are landing at Battu. If they had gone ahead with making that the exit location, the whole thing would have fit. I don't want to see Star Tours go so hopefully they can figure it out.

Actually, the new bits in Star Tours do fit in with the sequel era. When I rode at Disneyland a few months ago, the sequence every time went:

Opening in hangar with Kylo Ren (in place of darth Vader)
Jakku scene (Force Awakens)
Message from Maz Kanata, BB8, or Poe
Crait Scene (Last Jedi)
Ending on Batuu's Blackspire Outpost (Star Wars Land)

So, it seems likes you are landing at Battu. If they had gone ahead with making that the exit location, the whole thing would have fit. I don't want to see Star Tours go so hopefully they can figure it out.
I haven’t done it in years so I guess that’s why I have a disconnect there.

But isn’t it back to just the regular random scenes from all eras now? I thought that change was temporary but I definitely could be wrong

I haven’t done it in years so I guess that’s why I have a disconnect there.

But isn’t it back to just the regular random scenes from all eras now? I thought that change was temporary but I definitely could be wrong

I'm not sure. In January it was all The Force Awakens/The Last Jedi.

I thought that kind of hurt it since I rode it about 4 times that expecting a different experience.

I'm not sure. In January it was all The Force Awakens/The Last Jedi.

I thought that kind of hurt it since I rode it about 4 times that expecting a different experience.

Yes, I got all the same scenes at DL too. I think they did this for Last Jedi. If I recall, there was a plan to make half the simulators run the previous versions (i.e. set just after the events of Revenge of the Sith, so Prequel/OT era) and to make the other half always run the sequel era. The Jakku scene never made sense with the others anyway. At any rate, it sounded like the guest would be able to choose which side they wanted to do. I haven't heard anything about that in a while though.

Last edited:
As much as I am a fan of Fantasmic!, it occupies a lot of space for a hour or 2 of entertainment. I predict it will be no more within 10 years.

As much as I am a fan of Fantasmic!, it occupies a lot of space for a hour or 2 of entertainment. I predict it will be no more within 10 years.
It is somewhat redundant now that they do a central fireworks show at the park. Though it will be a shame to lose it. I think you move it, maybe to the magic kingdom OR figure out a way to have it at disney springs. Having something similar a Disney springs would likely bring the foot traffic they are hoping for.

I’ve never even thought of that possibility. Problem is that the access there is really tight and would have to be widened. It’s doable but not sure if it’s worth it for that (relatively) tiny piece of land

I’ve never even thought of that possibility. Problem is that the access there is really tight and would have to be widened. It’s doable but not sure if it’s worth it for that (relatively) tiny piece of land

They could easily put a large ride back there with the entrance and exit in the same spot. The line into Space Mountain isn't exactly wide.

And there is actually a lot of room to expand if you look at an aerial view. I don't think it would be needed for awhile though. Animation Courtyard could use updating and could become a new mini-land, the building with the frozen stuff around to Backlot Express and IJ could give a large new area as well. Take all of that plus Star Tours and that is just as big if not bigger than Galaxy's Edge. Wouldn't mind seeing the Beauty and the Beast stage get torn down and have a nicer theatre like what was planned for Magic Kingdom replace it for a better show. That gives plenty of area and opportunity to expand/enhance the park without touching Fantasmic!.

Also would hate to see the show go as it is such a park/Disney staple but if they could relocate it elsewhere then that would be ok. Love the Disney Springs idea from someone above. It is a lot of land used up for a show that only happens once a night or so.

They could easily put a large ride back there with the entrance and exit in the same spot. The line into Space Mountain isn't exactly wide.
Yeah a ride could work, I thought you meant an expansion for a land. Although I’m not sure I’d want a ride behind tower of terror since I like how sunset kinda “ends” there

I would find it hard at first but maybe loosing Fantasmic and replacing with a show that can be on 6- 8 times a day wouldn't be a bad idea

Just an interesting FYI - until Tron was finally decided to be placed in MK, per some insiders there was a plan to place TRON at DHS where Fantasmic sits. But it was instead placed in MK.

so I would not be totally surprised if one day they might expand a ride out in that area, per Martin this was very close to happening for DHS.

Probably .. I could see them wanting to redo the whole Sunset Boulevard section and using Fantasmic's space as well as Tower of Terror, Beauty and the Beast and Rock-n-Roller coaster. That gives them plenty of space to work with.

Though I don't see them adding a new land to DHS for a LONG LONG time after just dropping two new lands there in a year.

ToT is the one untouchable at Studios that I can see in that area. RNRC, they could retheme or just redo. Fantasmic could go away and most people wouldnt care as long as they keep a fireworks show at the Chinese Theater area. The area around ToT is pretty big with room for expansion if you look at the maps. I could certainly see them reimagining that area once Star Wars opens in order to try and balance out the park. Thats the one thing I believe they have done a poor job of doing. Creating balance in parks. Magic Kingdom will be so out of balance when Tron is built if they put in a couple of smaller C level attractions and then redo Space Mountain. Adventureland needs something to balance the park and help better disperse crowds. The same will be said for Studios once Star Wars land opens. With Toy Story next door, the back of the park will be a nightmare on busy days. At least in Animal Kingdom Pandora is on the opposite side of the park from EE and there is a balancing attraction in every part of the park. Epcot isnt even worth discussing because they also are creating imbalance with GotG and if they do something with the WOL pavillion. The opposite side with only Soarin and the Land to really draw anyone will be an issue.

Probably .. I could see them wanting to redo the whole Sunset Boulevard section and using Fantasmic's space as well as Tower of Terror, Beauty and the Beast and Rock-n-Roller coaster. That gives them plenty of space to work with.

Though I don't see them adding a new land to DHS for a LONG LONG time after just dropping two new lands there in a year.
I don't think it will be that long....

I don't think it will be that long. Right now disney is enjoying a nice roi in the parks. Start wars land and the epcot remodel will reinforce that. There is already rumors of more upgrades coming to animal kingdom. Barring a major economic downturn...6-7 years from now they should be breaking ground on HS next expansion.

They will need to in order to keep up with universal. That is the time frame on their next gate.

I don't think it will be that long....

I don't think it will be that long. Right now disney is enjoying a nice roi in the parks. Start wars land and the epcot remodel will reinforce that. There is already rumors of more upgrades coming to animal kingdom. Barring a major economic downturn...6-7 years from now they should be breaking ground on HS next expansion.

They will need to in order to keep up with universal. That is the time frame on their next gate.
Good point. I guess I can see the "keeping up with Universal" thing spurring this constant improvement to their park, especially with Universal rumored to have a 3rd park coming.
I am used to the "dead times" from 2001 until about 2012 .. where not much was added to the parks and a lot was left to die on the vine.

I would think though that love would be given to AK before DHS as AK still is an attraction-lite park and Tower of Terror and RnRC are still popular attractions (as they are the most "thrilling" attractions in all the resort until Guardians and Tron come online).

The park expansion is probably cheaper than building a 5th park, but, as a guest, it is getting pretty old to have construction walls up in almost every park all the time. At least (more recently) a lot of the construction is just isolated in a corner of the park. (Pandora, SWGE, Toy Story Land, Guardians of the Galaxy).

Now that I think about it .. there has been something major and "new" to come to every year or so since 2012
2012 - New Fantasyland
2013/2014 - Magic Bands
2015 - Star Wars Launch Bay (not really major, but a draw for Star Wars fans)
2016 - Disney Springs
2017 - Pandora
2018 - Toy Story Land
2019 - SWGE

They have been doing a good job of having something new to experience every year. It sure done a good job of making we want to come back every year and half. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter