The Return of the Mummy Rumor

larworth

DIS Veteran
(4/3/02) Screamscape did some digging this past week and discovered a few things. The project has yet to received final budget approval, but given the proposed timeline, Kong wouldn’t close until Labor Day and it would be early 2004 before the new Mummy themed coaster was ready to open. We’ve also uncovered a bit of info about the coaster itself, and no... it’s not a Vekoma. While we still don’t know the manufacturer at this time, we do know that the current layout is for a shuttle coaster... meaning that you will launch forward though the ride and then run backwards though it all again to the station
I guess a boomerang makes good use of potentially limited space?, but it must make telling a linear story a little challenging. Also, aren't ride times on these guys typically pretty short. I hope there is some other show incorporated into the mix to make it a meaningful experience. Gault said all new attraction approvals would wait until summer, but are they at least getting warm here.

I hate to see Kong go when we are stuck with the likes of Twister. I think that ride could go and no one would miss it. But I for one will miss Kong's cute little face.

Renee

I hate to see Kong go when we are stuck with the likes of Twister. I think that ride could go and no one would miss it. But I for one will miss Kong's cute little face.
I am exactly the other way around... I wouldn't even bat an eye if Kong was gone. I waited in line for 90 minutes for that ride because it kept breaking down.... for what? Not much from what I rode on. But Twister I really enjoyed, I went on it three times the day I went to US. I think it is really well executed, but maybe I just like it because I have a fascination with tornadoes.

The only thing I got from Twister was a really bad hair day;)

Originally posted by larworth
I guess a boomerang makes good use of potentially limited space?

I don't think Universal would sttop to boomerangs! I would take this as something along the lines of Mr. Freeze, B&R:The Chiller, Speed: The Ride. Any which way, I think it'd be a Premier attraction.

...or then again could B&M give Universal another "first" with a B&M shuttle???;)

Don't run with everything you read, and don't make the wrong assumptions.

Universal wouldn't waste their time with Vekoma. Screamscape is a good site, but 90% of the stuff is just rumors. I mean they have been talking about the Jeep ride for a while. A shuttle coaster wouldn't work for capacity at any big Orlando park. USO will get something unique an inovative, not something found at six flags, like Disney. Atleast thats my take on it.

A shuttle coaster would be fine. Given the small space that it takes up, it's better capacity than the Dr. Doom style freefall ride that would be the other thrill option. Even with two crazy mouse set-ups, Disney's Primeval Whirl is another low capacity coaster.

Cedar Point's new coaster is a similar low-capacity impulse coaster, and Cedar Point draws more than either IOA or USF on a typical operating day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter